What Games Should Stop Being Made?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Call of Duty
Assassins creed

more or less every franchise that has a release every year..

Call of Duty.

MW & WaW was the peak of the series. It should have ended there.

I would like to say Halo but I have loved the ones I have played. Though I haven't got a chance to play 3 & Reach so I wouldn't give it a killing blow.

If a series is still fun there is no reason to stop it. I still enjoy Mario, Zelda, Assassin's Creed games. So why stop making them.

Though with games like Assassin's Creed & Mass Effect I want them to keep to the point. I wish they didn't screw around with Assassins plot and make 2.1(BH) & 2.2(Rev). I also want Mass Effect 3 to be the final Mass Effect game. Don't make the games a chore to keep up with the story. Thats the easiest to kill the fun.

Xannidel:
While I do not really want Mario to go away, I would not mind them finding something different for him that isn't galexy related.

Yeah, both Super Mario Galaxy games were great, but we've had enough. Give us another full 3D Mario game with a new style and I'll be thrilled.

I honestly don't see any game series that should stop, except for Mass Effect because they have the chance to make us remember it for how it ended. Making sequels is a great way to earn money and it gives us something familiar. Some games drag on too long, but if they seized making money they wouldn't make more.

I think that mario has gone past the limit of what nintendo can add to. There isnt much more they can do with it. Even with the 3DS version the only real difference they have made is that it has a new dimension.
galaxy could continue but the rest of the series should just stop.

way2sl0w:
I love these series but they all should end or become less frequent:

Call of Duty (less frequent)
Battlefield (less frequent)
Assassin's Creed (end)
Madden NFL (less frequent but with roster update DLC)
Mario (end)
Mass Effect (end after 3)
FEAR (end)
Dead Rising (end)
Resident Evil (less spin-offs)
Silent Hill (less frequent)
Gears of War (end)
Halo (end)
Bioshock (end)
Dead space (end)
Left 4 Dead (end)
Final Fantasy (end)

and in general:
Tower Defense games (less frequent)
3rd person cover shooters (less frequent)
'Fantasy' RPG's (less frequent)

Okay so they should continue making call of duty and madden games, of which they've made 8-9 games for each.. yet you want them to stop making left 4 dead games of which there are only 2? (which they have.. valve never release a third installment)

same with Dead space, bioshock dead rising, mass effect and Assassin's creed. (the whole plan for that game was to make different arcs for different ancestors, they milked Ezio but his story has ended now)

And what's wrong with tower defense, 3rd person cover shooters (of which there are not many) and fantasy RPGs? They generally make more unique tower defense, RPG or 3rd person shooters than they do FPS games in which they tend to recycle war, aliens, zombies or all three.

And finally, Nintendo stopping mario games would be like sonic team not making sonic games.

OT: I think that they should stop with Halo, the series ended with halo 3.. the cartoon, 'strategy' game, odst etc milked it enough

way2sl0w:
Assassin's Creed (end)

Agreed. A trilogy would have been welcome but the last two spin offs have killed the franchise for me. Nothing in Revelations can convince me the game ever needed to be made.

Mass Effect (end after 3)

Also agreed... to an extent. I think Commander Shepard's story is well and truly done after 3 but we could have more stories in the same universe.

Silent Hill (less frequent)

What are you talking about? There hasn't been a Silent Hill game since Silent Hill 3. See what I did there?

But seriously, they just need to make a GOOD Silent Hill game to get back on track. Origins, Homecoming and Shattered Memories were all mostly forgetable attempts.

Halo (end)

Yes. This coming from a big Halo fan. The Chief's story is done. Leave him be already.

Bioshock (end)

I'm confused by this. Rapture should be left alone now, yes 2K Marin certainly taught us that lesson. But Infinate looks to be amazing and Irrational Games made the original one, as great as it was.

Setting Bioshock 2 aside, I think the franchise has the rare ability to carry a common theme over many very varied and differing games. This one still has much promise in my mind.

Assassin's Creed, your posts remembered me of a game with not enough redeeming features. You can't just make a Prince of Persia/Hitman hybrid in a open world game.

Treyarch's Call of Duties should just stop and Infinity Ward could keep producing CoD games if not under the rule of Activision.

tippy2k2:
Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Because buying shovelware games doesn't ruin others' favorite franchises by copying them.
(thanks a lot, DICE)

Halo. Great games, all of them, but we're done with it now. Nothing from 343 will ever be as good as Bungies games.

And of course Call of Duty. Or at least put a littel more effort into it, an stop rereleasing the same game with a slightly uppgraded multiplayer every year.

This might be a little different then what I originally posted but instead of a game, I am going to mention a specific genre that feels too generic: Zombie-related games. I am a huge fan of the original Resident Evil games (1,2,3 and including CV and 0) but I have noticed more zombie games being made and would you consider that a genre that is getting milked by too many companies?

Mass Effect and Halo

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!

Under one condition. If Halo 4 and the next Mass Effect game after ME3 turn out to be sour. If they're good then keep the series going. It's only milking if the quality of the games degrade. If they keep chugging games out and they're all good then what's the problem?

ElPatron:

tippy2k2:
Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Because buying shovelware games doesn't ruin others' favorite franchises by copying them.
(thanks a lot, DICE)

I asked this previously to someone and now I'll ask you: Why does having a sequel ruin the original?

Does the fact that Battlefield 3 came out ruin Bad Company? Does a new Mass Effect trilogy mean that Mass Effect 1-3 are now bad games (this is assuming that the new trilogy would be bad)?

You might actually be the first person to be able to use that argument and make some ground IF you are referring to multi-player games (I'm under the assumption of Battlefield when you said DICE, so I suppose I could be wrong). With the new game, the audience will switch, leaving you with empty servers but even that's not really the case. It's a much smaller group you're now playing with but they still do exist.

Example time: Did you think Star Wars was good? Did you think that Episode 1-3 were good? If you're like most people, you'll answer Yes to question 1 and No to question 2. Is Star Wars now a bad movie because Episode 1-3 exist? Of course not. Same thing here. Sequels don't ruin the original games. If you don't like the series, stop buying it and play the originals.

As much as I love Mass Effect, the only reason there should be a 4 is if Azathoth (Lovecraftian outer god) is somehow the Reaper king or something and the game's finale is an epic final boss fight against Azathoth at the center of the universe. Just in case that doesn't happen in 3 (not looking at spoilers).

There should be no more of the following due to the laps in quality in their more recent instalments:

Call of Duty
Resident Evil
Bioshock
Devil May Cry
Command & Conquer
Dead Space

There should be no more of the following to prevent a laps in quality over the series:

God of War
Gears of War
Metal Gear Solid

There should be a rethink as to how to return the series to it's once former glory:

Final Fantasy
Silent Hill

As for Mass Effect. I wouldn't mind a 4th instalment to act as an epilogue to the series.

How about instead of making a bunch a God forbidden sequels that developers instead make one individual good game and then make a DIFFERENT game that isn't another sequel because if I see one more Final Cuntasy Game or ANOTHER garbage Sonic game I think I'm gonna bust a cap in the wang of the idiots that think this repetitive crap is good.

COD games made by infinity ward, it seems that at least when Treyarc makes a COD game they put somthing slightly innovative in even if it doesn't always work out and is forgotten about the next game. Also Treyarc try's to put some Easter eggs into the game and let people have more fun with it i.e. zombies and the amount of customization in Black Ops.

leaderproxima:
I think that mario has gone past the limit of what nintendo can add to. There isnt much more they can do with it. Even with the 3DS version the only real difference they have made is that it has a new dimension.
galaxy could continue but the rest of the series should just stop.

I don't think that they CAN'T do new things with Mario, but the last time they truly tried (Mario Sunshine) people crapped all over it. I miss the days of the fearless Mario games though.

I am actually surprised that God of War did not really come up in this.

Assassin's Creed. (Have three, one with Desmond and then end!)
Call of Duty. (Please end the series or make it better.)
Final Fantasy.
God Of War.
Halo. (Only if the 4th one sucks)
Street Fighter. (Maybe, I just felt like saying that)

tippy2k2:
I asked this previously to someone and now I'll ask you: Why does having a sequel ruin the original?

It doesn't? Call of Duty 4 is still one of the best shooters ever.

tippy2k2:
Does the fact that Battlefield 3 came out ruin Bad Company?

Irrelevant. Bad Company was a spin off and never deserved the Battlefield title. It sure did add insult to injury, specially after years of waiting for a true Battlefield game promised by DICE.

Darren716:
COD games made by infinity ward, it seems that at least when Treyarc makes a COD game they put somthing slightly innovative in even if it doesn't always work out and is forgotten about the next game.

No matter how much IW screws up Treyarch tries to make IW's mistakes sound minor things.

Treyarch's Call of Duty competition with IW is a joke and always ways. They should be doing console spin offs because they were good at it.

It seems that their only purpose in life is appear more "edgy" with the violence, torture scenes and guns that were never even produced.

I think one of the better things they should do is not make a new game each year but maybe take that year or two to rework their core mechanics and see if they can improve on them to appeal to more people.

LiL'Tic:
how is any new mario game different from any other mario game though?

How is Super Mario Galaxy not remotely different from Super Mario 64? Sure, the basic, bare bones platforming is based off of Super Mario 64, but so is almost the entire 3D platforming genre. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you take away the most bare bones of 3D platforming pioneered by Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and even more so, Super Mario Galaxy add multiple gameplay elements. In Super Mario Sunshine, if anything, people complain about how different it is. All of the gameplay is based, basically around acquiring water and using the jetpack as adeptly as possible. And the gameplay in Super Mario Galaxy is based around mastering planetoid gravity.

LiL'Tic:
your content to spend money on the same game very year?

Are you content on saying ignorant things about Nintendo? You know, like saying "they release the same game every year" when they clearly don't?

If anything, I've never made a Nintendo game purchase that I've regretted. I can't say that about too many software companies.

If anything, I don't get a new official Mario game often enough. For fans of Nintendo franchises like me, I waited far, far too long and painfully for Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy. Especially Skyward Sword. Too bad, I suppose you'll never get the feeling of falling in love with a Nintendo universe to the point you can never get enough, and you just want one more trip to Hyrule or the like. But millions of people do. And Nintendo still delivers that in a high quality fashion.

tippy2k2:
*Bangs head against something hard repeatedly

Shocking, I know...

Every game series has it's fans, why would you want to rob them of it?

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

Couldn't have said it better myself, except at the end I would have added sports sims and movie license games (although movie license games sort of overlap with the Grandma Xmas games).

Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield. If Someone says Halo should end, NO! N O! NO!

Individuo:
There should be no more of the following due to the laps in quality in their more recent instalments:

Call of Duty
Resident Evil
Bioshock
Devil May Cry
Command & Conquer
Dead Space

There should be no more of the following to prevent a laps in quality over the series:

God of War
Gears of War
Metal Gear Solid

There should be a rethink as to how to return the series to it's once former glory:

Final Fantasy
Silent Hill

As for Mass Effect. I wouldn't mind a 4th instalment to act as an epilogue to the series.

Why Bioshock? They're 1 for 2, and the 2 wasn't as awful as some other twos (DMC, MGS). Let them keep going.

And DMC is good again. It's just starring a female character named Bayonetta.

an874:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

Couldn't have said it better myself, except at the end I would have added sports sims and movie license games (although movie license games sort of overlap with the Grandma Xmas games).

Ever think some people like those sports sims? The changes made to Madden and The Show every year are more than DLC can give, unless you feel like a 10gb save file. I still buy The Show every year, and I would for Madden, but the Superman glitch that never got fixed killed it for me.

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Agreed totally.

I really find these threads rather disheartening (if you could wipe out one game series/website/film/book/person/color/variationofthehustle etc.). I don't even understand the novelty in musing on it, even though it IS just a fantasy, given its nature.

I mean no harm no foul... but, come on. It's plain old "what if we could get rid of stuff people like that I don't like?". I wouldn't do it given the power.

I dont think game series should end, just become less frequent.

Final Fantasy nuff said

I can't really think of any I would want to end or slow down aside from CoD and sports games.

A lot of games seem like they're milking the franchise, but meh. I don't want any games to go away.

Vault101:

Mario

But don't you want to see a grim and gritty first person reboot on next generation hardware with the newest Unreal Engine?

Xangba:

Wait, sorry, seriously? I have no problem with someone loving Halo (my best friend loves it to death) but I can't really find it a brilliantly told story when the main character is essentially a god (come on basically MC can do no wrong) but the "multiplayer thrown in on the side" is a flatout lie. That is what the game is designed around. Sorry, not trying to bash the game or anything, but your statement confused me.
P.S. yes I do enjoy playing the game too! :-)

The games themselves doesn't really present the story in game-play or cutscenes, but there is actually a whole lot of lore surrounding the franchise if you do a little bit of research. Books, wikipedia.. basically the story is actually just a nice distraction for those interested in it, and there's something special about playing through the game and recognizing something that only someone who read about it would be able to really know about.

But even without the books, the Halo games at least present an okay story line, even if it is a bit run-of-the-mill.

Uncharted. I loved all the games, but I think it can end now. And while I think that 3 had better multiplayer than 2, 3's single player experience felt a tad bit poorer than 2's overall. But still, it was by no means a dud, so I could live with it if they made another one, though I don't see the need for one.

First of all, I'm just going to say that pretty much ALL franchises are just "milking the cow" as soon as they announce any sequel; it just depends on how well they keep the franchise afloat and realizing when they need to move on to other things. It's one of the reasons that I like Naughty Dog: they make a few main titles for a franchise, add on a spin-off or two to please the fans, and then move on to there next project.

That said, I can't really think of franchises that I really want to die since a lot of them have something unique to offer their audience. If I had to put something out there, I'd probably go with the Assassin's Creed series, which really hit it's stride with AC2 and the rest has been sort of down hill. I'll also probably be angry with Bioware if they decide to make and Mass Effect 4.

Mostly, I don't care if a company continues to keep making a franchise as long as it's either trying to expand what you can do with the game or try out new things with it. It's one of the reason's I continue to support franchises like Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy: Even though a lot of the core is the same as the past games, they are trying out some new things with each title to see how they work, and not just sticking with what they have always done, even if it doesn't work as well as previous games.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

an874:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Ever think some people like those sports sims? The changes made to Madden and The Show every year are more than DLC can give, unless you feel like a 10gb save file. I still buy The Show every year, and I would for Madden, but the Superman glitch that never got fixed killed it for me.

I'm sure people like sports sims. They wouldn't still be around, doing the same fucking thing every year if they didn't sell. Yeah, lots of changes (sarcasm); A roster update (something that COULD be covered with dlc) and minor tweaks to the gameplay (a fucking patch). Just because it's 10gb doesn't mean it deserves it, it just means you payed for a overblown and overpriced dlc and a patch.

an874:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

an874:

I'm sure people like sports sims. They wouldn't still be around, doing the same fucking thing every year if they didn't sell. Yeah, lots of changes (sarcasm); A roster update (something that COULD be covered with dlc) and minor tweaks to the gameplay (a fucking patch). Just because it's 10gb doesn't mean it deserves it, it just means you payed for a overblown and overpriced dlc and a patch.

I'd have to ask how many of these you've played? If the answer is between "a little" and "not at all" you really don't have room to talk about the changes.

For instance, Madden 11 to Madden 12 changes added

Revamped Franchise Mode, with new free agency system
Better offensive line reactions, including pull blocks and timing on sweep plays
More accurate defensive reactions, especially on audibles
Player performance changes throughout the season, simulating the ups and down of the season

All of those changes wouldn't fit very well in a DLC pack.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked