Will you be supporting next GEN consoles?
Yes!
23.7% (89)
23.7% (89)
Not sure yet
39.2% (147)
39.2% (147)
No
36.5% (137)
36.5% (137)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are you going to support NEX GEN Consoles?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Absolutely.

I'm actually completely against the release of new generation consoles as I don't think technology has evolved enough to warrant a change.

That said, I'm a gamer. There is no way I'll have the willpower to completely avoid the next 5-10 years of console gaming because I don't think it's time to move on.

I'll inevitably buy at least one of the consoles. Likely sometime after a significant price drop in year 2, 3, or 4 of the cycle. I'm completely open to any console at this point albeit hesitant on Microsoft's console stability in the next generation.

I've been a console gamer for the last 3 generations, but I can't say I'm too eager for a 4th one.

The new XBOX and Playstation will have to be way more than simply better graphics for me to buy one this time.

Maybe I'll migrate to PC gaming, who knows.

The way it looks, probably not. Im getting quite sick of all the bullshit that I have to deal with on a console (I much prefer the bullshit I have to deal with on a PC). Consoles are supposed to be easy. I dont mean that in a condescending way. Sometimes I just want to chuck a disk in and play a game. And I can do that on my Wii, which is nice. Cant do that on my PS3. It constantly wants to update the firmware, or the game itself, or fuck me around with codes.

Just recently I was trying to figure out how to play Saints Row 3 with a friend. I have a copy, and my brother does, so I was going to lend him my copy and play my brothers one. But since it has a code, I cant do that. I cant let someone borrow a copy of a game I own, and use all of its features. If this was a PC, I could just use a LANmulator to play a cracked version. And thats the thing with PCs. If something doesnt work as I want it to, I can make it work as I want it to. Consoles are just trying to be PCs that only run their equivalent of Origin.

babinro:
Absolutely.

I'm actually completely against the release of new generation consoles as I don't think technology has evolved enough to warrant a change.

That said, I'm a gamer. There is no way I'll have the willpower to completely avoid the next 5-10 years of console gaming because I don't think it's time to move on.

I'll inevitably buy at least one of the consoles. Likely sometime after a significant price drop in year 2, 3, or 4 of the cycle. I'm completely open to any console at this point albeit hesitant on Microsoft's console stability in the next generation.

May I ask, why do you feel technology of the current generation of consoles is sufficient? Any upgrade in hardware has been long overdue in the consoles. 256 Mb of dedicated video memory has been insufficient for years. Our PC games are suffering as a result. Saints Row 3 spawns vehicles so close to the player it acts as if the game is desperate to free up frame rates. That game plays at hundreds of FPS on PC. It's one thing when the consoles hold their own games back, but when it spills over to PC is when I draw the line.

Either take the time to develop proper PC games or update the ancient consoles if you're going to give us ports.

If they follow through on the proposed ideas? No.

Plus, I'll have new kids which would make it hard for me to find the time to game I would imagine. I suspect the 360 is the end of the line for me until we just have chips in our brains.

Plus, all of the systems seem to be predicated on
1. extracting maximum cash (ie. 1 owner restriction, pay for multiplayer, no discounts)
2. the belief that I am a thief (which I am not)

I will most likely end up getting the next Nintendo console anyway.
Don't know too much about this Wii U thingy but when the next CONSOLE comes out I'll probably get it sometime.
If someone has a good place to read about this Wii U thing I'd like to get a look, to lazy to start googling xD

Edit: why does the "yes" option have a "!" but not the "No" one? Just curious O.o

Probably not, I've grown sick of the treatment console players have been getting with features getting cut, online passes and endless firmwire updates, yes I'm looking at you Sony. I have now all but move completely over to PC now and don't see anything the next console generation can do to make me go back given the current rumors about them.

If the reliability is better and the exclusive titles are good enough yes, if not no. The used game thing doesnt bother me anymore, when the rumours first started 6 months or so ago it did but after thinking about it I am fine with the idea

no backwards compatibility not to mention they are becomming more and more computer like.. needing patches, dlc, needing the net, etc sort of defeats the purpose of having a console to me

TorqueConverter:

babinro:
Absolutely.

May I ask, why do you feel technology of the current generation of consoles is sufficient? Any upgrade in hardware has been long overdue in the consoles. 256 Mb of dedicated video memory has been insufficient for years. Our PC games are suffering as a result. Saints Row 3 spawns vehicles so close to the player it acts as if the game is desperate to free up frame rates. That game plays at hundreds of FPS on PC. It's one thing when the consoles hold their own games back, but when it spills over to PC is when I draw the line.

Either take the time to develop proper PC games or update the ancient consoles if you're going to give us ports.

Certainly. It basically comes down to myself not having an 'eye' for graphical improvements.

I don't see any appreciable difference between Blue Ray and DVD. I have a gaming PC that is far superior to consoles, and yet I don't have a single game on PC that far exceeds consoles in terms of visual or gameplay quality.

Your comment might be accurate. Perhaps all my Steam and Origin games (PC exclusive or otherwise) simply don't try to output more than the console.

Unless a new generation of consoles promises to offer major shifts in gaming beyond simply a slightly improved appearance I don't see the benefit. If say, the PS4/Xbox 720 offers:
- High quality FPS games that have quality 40+ hours branching campaign stories rather than just one 6-8 hour story.
- Choice driven games like Mass Effect that tell entirely different stories and locations and characters based on your actions. Not just the same location with different background goals.
- Evolution in settings. Allow gamers to adjust all difficulty perimeters to their liking to make a game suit them. In other words, take essentially what an EA Sports NHL game does but apply that same level of hyper customization to all games, be they Mario or Final Fantasy.

I could go on but you get the idea. I won't deny that a graphical jump would be nice. But at this time it seems like all we're going to see is the same games with slightly better textures and smother animations. These new consoles are still likely going to drag behind anyone's current gaming rig by a large margin. I hardly expect to see the PS4 with 2gb ram...let alone the 8+ gig that's becoming relatively commonplace.

I will surely, yeah. I love video games, after all.

There will surely be some video games I really care about for those systems that I won't want to miss out on.

Already heavily anticipating the Wii U.

babinro:

TorqueConverter:

babinro:
Absolutely.

Certainly. It basically comes down to myself not having an 'eye' for graphical improvements.

I don't see any appreciable difference between Blue Ray and DVD. I have a gaming PC that is far superior to consoles, and yet I don't have a single game on PC that far exceeds consoles in terms of visual or gameplay quality.

Your comment might be accurate. Perhaps all my Steam and Origin games (PC exclusive or otherwise) simply don't try to output more than the console.

Unless a new generation of consoles promises to offer major shifts in gaming beyond simply a slightly improved appearance I don't see the benefit. If say, the PS4/Xbox 720 offers:
- High quality FPS games that have quality 40+ hours branching campaign stories rather than just one 6-8 hour story.
- Choice driven games like Mass Effect that tell entirely different stories and locations and characters based on your actions. Not just the same location with different background goals.
- Evolution in settings. Allow gamers to adjust all difficulty perimeters to their liking to make a game suit them. In other words, take essentially what an EA Sports NHL game does but apply that same level of hyper customization to all games, be they Mario or Final Fantasy.

I could go on but you get the idea. I won't deny that a graphical jump would be nice. But at this time it seems like all we're going to see is the same games with slightly better textures. These new consoles are still likely going to drag behind anyone's current gaming rig by a large margin. I hardly expect to see the PS4 of 2gb ram...let alone the 8+ gig that's becoming relatively commonplace.

Interesting view. I've always viewed things from a hardware perspective. The idea of a system and games as interchangeable entities is new to me. What good are the new systems if the games made for them are not greater than the games available on the current systems, right?

I do believe The hardware needs to improve in order for the games to improve. Improved hardware =/= improved games, but it does allow for the developers to have some hardware power to draw on. A great example would be GTA II vs GTA III Vice City. The power of the PC and PS2 gave Rockstar the opportunity to push the game forward.

Crysis is an example of hardware potential. Bad game, but an excellent game engine. The possibilities for what that game engine could achieve when a good video game is created around it is mindblowing.

I've just had a bit of an epiphany. Will there be any truly profound changes in game development brought forth by the next gen consoles, or will we really just get more of the same? The PS2 was notable IMO for GTA III and FPS coming to consoles with the current gen notable for multilayer online shooters coming to the living room. What are the next gens going to bring to the table? What is the PC doing now that the next gens can mass produce in console form?

after reading all of these rumours about no backwards compatibility, touch screen controllers, no 2nd hand games ect. Im tempted to just leave consoles alone, and just go PC.

But I cant leave Halo alone, i just cant :(

Sure. It's good for both pc and consoles.

Depends on what they actually end up offering.

For example, if they embargo used game sales, I may be done.

It depends if that BS is true or not. Otherwise, the only thing we know is that they'll be better than what we have now. But if they have no backwards compatibility and ESPECIALLY no pre-owned, they can take a f***ing hike.

That said, whichever console doesn't pull that s*** will probably win in sales, so your move Sony and Microsoft.

PC for life!

I'm starting to hate this fucking new chevy sonic

I cant really say for sure as it all depends what is going on when the next generation is released. If things continue as it is then I dont even see myself playing video games at all in another year let alone by the time a new console comes out. If I am still playing games I will definitely buy a new console, fuck that PC shit.

Binnsyboy:

darkstone:
I will support whatever platform brings me the most enjoyment, and doesn't penalize me for being a budget conscious consumer.

I doubt the no backwards compatibility thing will happen for one reason. Newer generation consoles are quite delicate, and if it broke, you would be unable to play all your games.

Having to pay for not only the replacement of a console (assuming it didn't have a free replacement warranty) plus a fee to unlock all your games would cause so much uproar. It'd be corporate suicide.

Of course a lot of devs don't like used gaming, so obviously these rumors would circulate. But logically, I'd say that's all they could be.

So yeah, I'll support the next gen, because this is all a bunch of hearsay and fear-mongering.

I don't think they care whats better for the consumer and besides that both PS3 and 360 hardly support backwards compatibility.

Sealpower:
Probably. I feel it's time to return to my Nintendo roots however.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself, if the Wii U has a decent amount of proper games.

I am taking the rumours of the next generation of consoles, anti used game, anti backwards compatability, only usable on when connected to the internet and all that other fun sounding stuff with a huge pinch of salt. But if it turns out that they are true, I will not be buying a next generation console as these practices just seem so anti customer that I cannot support it.

ForensicYOYO:

Binnsyboy:

darkstone:
I will support whatever platform brings me the most enjoyment, and doesn't penalize me for being a budget conscious consumer.

I doubt the no backwards compatibility thing will happen for one reason. Newer generation consoles are quite delicate, and if it broke, you would be unable to play all your games.

Having to pay for not only the replacement of a console (assuming it didn't have a free replacement warranty) plus a fee to unlock all your games would cause so much uproar. It'd be corporate suicide.

Of course a lot of devs don't like used gaming, so obviously these rumors would circulate. But logically, I'd say that's all they could be.

So yeah, I'll support the next gen, because this is all a bunch of hearsay and fear-mongering.

I don't think they care whats better for the consumer and besides that both PS3 and 360 hardly support backwards compatibility.

I didn't say it was about consumer loyalty. Hell, we're just big wallets on legs to these people. My point is that it's a hugely stupid choice from a fiscal perspective. They have a department for these things...

And I didn't see what was wrong with the 360's backwards compatibility, beyond the odd game not being supported (though the majority seemed to be) and they did a good job of altering the control layout, though that usually consisted of making the white and black buttons RB and LB. But anyway.

I heard the PS3 gave its users some guff in terms of backwards compatibility, but I wouldn't know, as I don't have one.

Depends if they block used games, if so then no support from me if not then hell yeah!!!

Fappy:
If the rumors turn out to be true I can't in my good conscious support them. If this is all BS however I will be on board... albeit when functional models are released (no launch consoles for me) and the consoles actually have good libraries of games.

If the next console gen does suck as much as we think it might I'll be going full-time PC.

It probably is bullshit.

-------------------------------

Guys, we will only be seeing Next Gen consoles in the year of 2016 or so, according to Micorosoft and Sony people, there is not going to be a new console for quite some time. Its also bad for Pc gamers that there is not a next gen console, or good. But since limitations are so enforced by a majority of their games, graphics cards drop in price faster due to not as many people buying them as quickly. "Why buy the lastest Graphics Card when I can get one from 7 years ago that will run todays games?" Is my essential drift.

If I had the money, I would rather buy a good gaming pc. I think my money would be better for that.

For sure! I'll actually have the money to get one of them at launch this time around.

As a PC gamer who didnt support this one. No

AS a Gamer who hates the major companies with a passion

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if they are nice to the consumer I may tollerate them. But if the rumors are true. Then I am sticking with Steam and indie developers.... Maybe thats just because I'm keen for X-rebirth...

Ill probably get nintendo's next system but I doubt Ill get the ps4 or the xbox 720, I just don't play consoles much anymore aside from my 3ds and my wii. I'm almost entirely a pc gamer now

Hell no. I'm done with the crap consoles are doing now. Nintendo pisses me off the most with their new games. Skyward Sword was terrible and now White and Black 2? Come on...

I'm not interested in replacing my PS3 as its main use is as a Blu-Ray player. I game occasionally now, and when I do, its on my pc.

I will reserve judgment until we get some actual, official, non-rumor details about these machines.

DustyDrB:
I'll likely become a PC gamer with a Wii U (still love those first-party Nintendo titles too much).

x2, nothing beats PC + Nintendo games.

I will proberly as i find most of the "rumours" to be really stupid ideas for all involved so can not see them actually being true.

But as always i wont make a decision until i actually see one working.

Depends. If all this is true, i'll keep the money and just upgrade my PC again.

Not if the used game ban is true, if its not then maybe.

The 360 and PS3 have given me little faith in Sony/Microsoft. The fact that the rumors are even plausible should be a pretty big indicator of how bad things have gotten. I enjoyed the PS3, but only after it got a big price cut.

The WiiU seems pretty good so far, I've been liking most of what I've been hearing. It's also the only one that's confirmed to be backwards compatible, so right out the gate, it's got something over the other two. If the 3DS is any indicator, Nintendo does at least seem to have some idea of how to handle online shops, even if the interface is annoying.

And I don't see why everyone apparently sees the wiiu tablet like some alien device. It's a 360/PS3 controller with a touchscreen in the middle. Not exactly rocket science.

Honestly, like someone said: Between a wiiu and an upgraded PC, what would you even need a Nextbox/PS4 for?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked