DLC abuse

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

lapan:
The advantage AND the problem of DLC is the ease with which it can be produced and published. One one side it makes it easy to get addons to games with minimum effort. On the other side it get's abused for tons of minimal dlc.

Now companies even started trying to offer endings to games as DLC. The simple solution? Only buy those you deem worth your money, give them a clear answer with your wallet what kind of DLC won't be tolerated.

I think that Lapan makes the end-all point here. Love or hate DLC, we're the consumer and only we have the power to decide the fate of DLC by voting with our wallets. I think there are good examples of DLC, and bad examples of DLC, but by showing the industry which we think is which with our wallets, we can root out DLC abuse. Perhaps I'm just an optimist though :)

If a company can cut corners for the sake of money, and desire to take this approach, they will do so, DLC or no. If you are capable of deciding if a games content is worth the monetary investment...you know...like an adult...then the only possible outcome of DLC is to grant you more choices. If you choose not to pay for DLC, that is you participating in the world of functional human beings with self control. If you do buy the DLC, then it appeared to be worth it to you, and the publishers simply understand the basics of buisness, charging a price their customers will pay. If DLC is poor quality, remember that people have paid for games they dislike long before downloadable content. Don't complain about a bad piece of $5 DLC taking the place of a bad $30 expansion.

Pyro Paul:

TorqueConverter:
It's ok to remove content from the game or downright block the content on the disk as long as you use words like extras and additional, right?

um... Yeah?

Haven't you ever heard of 'Extended Edition' or 'Directors Cut' for movies?
Haven't you ever seen the words 'Uncensored' or 'Unrated'?

It is done every where.

Pay a little extra... Get a little more.

Don't pay extra... Get something that is missing content and incomplete at full price. Lovely. I can't wait until games turn into $60 game engines with the majority content sold as extra* on day one just to silence you people. Who am I kidding, you'll probably support that as the new industry standard?

I'm sorry but I just don't understand this logic.

Developed on the side of what with what money exactly? You mean developed in parallel? How does the outsourcing of game development to a 3rd party justify an additional cost on the consumers end? Hell, they can 3rd party it up with the DLC after the game is launched. If content is in development when the game is in development then you better get that content when the game is released, provided that content is finished. Charge as much as you want for the game. Let the free market speak.

you do not own the developers...
Nor do you own what they develope.

This idea that you're entitled to what they make is a flawed one...

You get what they want to give you. nothing more, nothing less.
you are entitled to nothing beyond that.

We have been getting the content competed before launch on the disk or at the very least as day one free DLC for, idunno, a long time now. It is very much the standard. They develop a game and you buy that game. All the content that is finished by day one, you get on day one when you purchase the game.

The game developers/publishers want to change this to milk more money from us by withholding completed game content from new copies of the game, without a reduction in price for game, only to sell the withheld content on day one under the guise of extra. I want them profitable but I also demand they do it ways that do not rip off the consumer. Find another legit revenue stream. Raise the price of your game if you have to but don't charge for shit twice.

I can't believe you are OK with this. We are the consumer. We are in control as we are the hand that feeds them. Without us the game developers/publishers have nothing more than a very expensive hobby.

Phlakes:
I didn't know you could abuse extra content. You know, since it's optional. And extra content.

Except it shapes the entire production process and impacts everyone regardless of their desire to purchase it or not.

Lets say you have game X.

Game X only has men in it.

You want to play a lady, there is optional DLC to get women.

SURE it's optional, but your game is missing a content piece that used to be a given.

Anyone who thinks DLC doesn't negatively impact the direction of >all< games is not looking at it with a wide enough eye.

I personally take it a step further and just don't buy the game at all usually, which would be a better response if someone doesn't like dlc. Because if you buy the game they know they can still get the sales and SOME people will buy the extra content, so no need think about the issue or how they handle it.

If they don't even sell the game they'll need to rethink their development cycle, what they prioritize, and what they'll monetize.

However, if an individual is happy with progressively smaller games (that admittedly look nicer) then I can't say anything, since that's what is had. Heck, they are starting to even sell cheat codes. That to me is remarkable.

I will note that using the word entitlement in a discussion about DLC is flawed.

It's not only entitlement one way. Look at the cheat code example, it was at one time a free content piece. Now they are charging you because they feel entitled to extra money. In many cases you are getting charged for tools they already built for designing the game and testing it.

theultimateend:

Phlakes:
I didn't know you could abuse extra content. You know, since it's optional. And extra content.

Except it shapes the entire production process and impacts everyone regardless of their desire to purchase it or not.

SURE it's optional, but your game is missing a content piece that used to be a given.

Anyone who thinks DLC doesn't negatively impact the direction of >all< games is not looking at it with a wide enough eye.

...What?

Okay, let's say I order a hamburger. Then I pay a bit extra to put cheese on it. Does that mean the hamburger was missing something that used to be a given? Does that negatively impact its direction? Hell no, it's a hamburger that you pay the price of a hamburger for, and if you want cheese you pay extra to get cheese. Just because you can have cheese doesn't mean the hamburger is inherently flawed somehow.

theultimateend:

Phlakes:

If they don't even sell the game they'll need to rethink their development cycle, what they prioritize, and what they'll monetize.

However, if an individual is happy with progressively smaller games (that admittedly look nicer) then I can't say anything, since that's what is had. Heck, they are starting to even sell cheat codes. That to me is remarkable.

I will note that using the word entitlement in a discussion about DLC is flawed.

It's not only entitlement one way. Look at the cheat code example, it was at one time a free content piece. Now they are charging you because they feel entitled to extra money. In many cases you are getting charged for tools they already built for designing the game and testing it.

The only thing we as a consumer are entitled to is a working, content complete game on day one. That's it. We are not entitled to content developed after day one and we sure as hell are not entitled to it for free.

I personally take it a step further and just don't buy the game at all usually, which would be a better response if someone doesn't like dlc. Because if you buy the game they know they can still get the sales and SOME people will buy the extra content, so no need think about the issue or how they handle it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one. If you don't like a companies business practices then don't encourage their bullshit. Don't buy their game, at least not on day one at full price.

Phlakes:

One problem is that, optional though it is, it's not really clear what you're buying, or the extent to which you need it.

In an age where all sorts of things are sold in the demo-free boxes called "DLC," everything from silly cosmetic hats to items that change the balance of the game to new missions that can add in hours of game time, you don't really know what you're getting, and whether it will be worth it, until you put your money down. In an environment like that, where $10 could get you anything from an extra half a game to a slightly better weapon, there's plenty of room for abuse.

Phlakes:

...What?

Okay, let's say I order a hamburger. Then I pay a bit extra to put cheese on it. Does that mean the hamburger was missing something that used to be a given? Does that negatively impact its direction? Hell no, it's a hamburger that you pay the price of a hamburger for, and if you want cheese you pay extra to get cheese. Just because you can have cheese doesn't mean the hamburger is inherently flawed somehow.

These food analogies can get silly very quickly. I would say that day one DLC at least, is like ordering a double cheeseburger only to be told that cheese and second patty is extra*. Wait? I already paid a premium for a double cheeseburger so why in the hell do I have to pay again for the cheese and second patty? It's just a hamburger then. Don't buy the cheese and second patty, but still end up with a very expensive hamburger? If I wanted a hamburger I would have ordered a fucking hamburger. Wait, why is my drink hall full of ice? Didn't I order fries? Where are they? What do mean they are locked in drawer somewhere? What do you mean you'll sell me an option to complete my meal? Fuck you rEstAurant.

TorqueConverter:

Phlakes:

...What?

These food analogies can get silly very quickly. I would say that day one DLC at least, is like ordering a double cheeseburger only to be told that cheese and second patty is extra*. Wait? I already paid a premium for a double cheeseburger so why in the hell do I have to pay again for the cheese and second patty? It's just a hamburger then. Don't buy the cheese and second patty, but still end up with a very expensive hamburger? If I wanted a hamburger I would have ordered a fucking hamburger. Wait, why is my drink hall full of ice? Didn't I order fries? Where are they? What do mean they are locked in drawer somewhere? What do you mean you'll sell me an option to complete my meal? Fuck you rEstAurant.

Alright, if you want to assume they take content out of the game and sell it back as DLC, go ahead. I've learned that it's better to not even try with you people.

Phlakes:

Alright, if you want to assume they take content out of the game and sell it back as DLC, go ahead. I've learned that it's better to not even try with you people.

You are correct. Most dev/pubs currently do not and have not in the past. The gaming industry as a whole as been pretty damn good to us, and remember this is an industry without competition. Very few video games have a direct competitor to keep each other in check with pricing and content quality, yet they still have been good to us despite being in a position to potentially feed us shit at ridiculous prices.

It is however, a future we quickly heading towards. The day a big publisher and developer took the 1st step in this direction is when the tone was set. Mass Effect 3. It'd be too late to gripe about it if it was already the industry standard.

TorqueConverter:

Phlakes:

You are correct. Most dev/pubs currently do not and have not in the past. The gaming industry as a whole as been pretty damn good to us, and remember this is an industry without competition. Very few video games have a direct competitor to keep each other in check with pricing and content quality, yet they still have been good to us despite being in a position to potentially feed us shit at ridiculous prices.

It is however, a future we quickly heading towards. The day a big publisher and developer took the 1st step in this direction is when the tone was set. Mass Effect 3. It'd be too late to gripe about it if it was already the industry standard.

Speculation: It's a bitch (TM). See you five years from now, let's see what the industry standard is.

Phlakes:

TorqueConverter:

Phlakes:

Speculation: It's a bitch (TM). See you five years from now, let's see what the industry standard is.

Deal.

TorqueConverter:
-snip-

I'm sorry your entire argument is built on ignorance.

The idea that the product isn't complete unless if you have DLC is wrong.

regardless of your thoughts on how things should work, the simple fact of the matter is this:
You are sold a complete Product.

Do you need the DLC to continue in the game?
Do you need the DLC just to play?
Do you need the DLC to beat the game?

answer: No. you don't need the DLC to do any of those.

Trying to create the parallel that they complete a game then cut it up to sell it peice-meal through DLC is false and misleading. If they did that, then you would not be able to complete the game unless if you had the DLC.

How/When this DLC is developed; is completed; or is distributed is ultimatly irrelevent.

TorqueConverter:
I would say that day one DLC at least, is like ordering a double cheeseburger only to be told that cheese and second patty is extra*. Wait? I already paid a premium for a double cheeseburger so why in the hell do I have to pay again for the cheese and second patty? It's just a hamburger then. Don't buy the cheese and second patty, but still end up with a very expensive hamburger? If I wanted a hamburger I would have ordered a fucking hamburger. Wait, why is my drink hall full of ice? Didn't I order fries? Where are they? What do mean they are locked in drawer somewhere? What do you mean you'll sell me an option to complete my meal? Fuck you rEstAurant.

You would say that...
and you would be completely incorrect.

If you order a double cheeseburger and only get a hamburger...
then you didn't order a double cheeseburger.

bahumat42:

LiquidSolstice:

Lagao:
This is why I like valve.

Dlc is free.

Not too difficult when almost your entire line of games are nothing more than DLC to Half Life or Half Life 2.

really?

So huge improvements to the engine are just dlc to you.
So crysis 2 is just dlc, or all the call of duty sequels. All sports games sequels.

Stop the absurdness.

Strange, I didn't say anything about any other game...

Changing my stance and attacking that one instead. Isn't that called...something to do with straw....can't seem to remember it off the top of my head, goshdarnit.

Pyro Paul:

You would say that...

It would be called getting ripped off.

Pyro Paul:

TorqueConverter:
I would say that day one DLC at least, is like ordering a double cheeseburger only to be told that cheese and second patty is extra*. Wait? I already paid a premium for a double cheeseburger so why in the hell do I have to pay again for the cheese and second patty? It's just a hamburger then. Don't buy the cheese and second patty, but still end up with a very expensive hamburger? If I wanted a hamburger I would have ordered a fucking hamburger. Wait, why is my drink hall full of ice? Didn't I order fries? Where are they? What do mean they are locked in drawer somewhere? What do you mean you'll sell me an option to complete my meal? Fuck you rEstAurant.

You would say that...

Um no, if you order a double cheeseburger but only get a hamburger, you still ordered a double cheeseburger.

Pyro Paul:

How/When this DLC is developed; is completed; or is distributed is ultimatly irrelevent.

Don't forget the context of this discussion. DLC abuse. Check the thread title in case you have forgotten. What exactly is your stance on this btw? Do you think it is impossible for game developers and publishers to abuse DLC? I'm inclined to call your argument ignorant, but I digress as you have yet to clearly define your argument.

Trying to create the parallel that they complete a game then cut it up to sell it peice-meal through DLC is false and misleading. If they did that, then you would not be able to complete the game unless if you had the DLC.

Bullshit. You can hypothetically cut, or downright lock on the disk, tremendous amounts of content and still adhere to the most basic standards of "video game". This practice would be dangerous for obvious reasons. Remember when Capcom pulled this crap when a bunch of characters were locked on the disk? The DLC was an unlock key. That's fucked up and should be obvious to anyone. It's beyond me why any consumer would support these practices.

regardless of your thoughts on how things should work, the simple fact of the matter is this:

Need =/= complete. You don't need all sorts of content in your video games. I take it your standards for a video game are these:

1. The ability to continue playing the game, as in you don't need to put quarters into the machine anymore.

2. As long as the game allows you to play.. the... game?

3. You must be able, as in permitted by the game, to beat the game.

That's it? Your standards for video games are abysmal.

DLC is a concept, first and foremost, and therefore, from its very nature has no want for money. DLC is simply content that can be downloaded through the internet. This could be as simple as a soundtrack or as wide as a brand new game for the game itself.

A concept does not want your money. A publisher abusing DLC does not mean DLC is bad or is inherently wanting your wallet, it just means that a coporate dick wants a few thousand more at the end of his pay-check. DLC is a great concept and it really comes down to how we'll use it to progress gaming in the future. Hopefully, we'll stop being stupid and notice the guy trying to steal money out of our wallets and call him out on his thievery.

To sum up, a concept does not want your money, a human being or corporation wants your money.

If you want to see abuse of DLC, go to the IOS market and play one of their free games. More then likely, they will shove down your throat you NEED to buy this or that.

Crono1973:

Pyro Paul:

TorqueConverter:

You would say that...

Um no, if you order a double cheeseburger but only get a hamburger, you still ordered a double cheeseburger.

If you ordered a double cheeseburger and only get a hamburger then there is clearly a fault in the line of communication in which your acctual order was not taken correctly or your idea of the order was not correct.

ergo, you did not order a doublecheese burger.

His comparison is flawed in the concept that 'a doublecheese burger' is identical to a 'Hamburger', and in order to get the stuff that makes it a double cheeseburger you have to pay extra after getting the product.

I like it, I get my money's worth from it. I do look at what is included in the DLC and if I deem it unworthy I don't buy it. Pretty simple.

TorqueConverter:

Pyro Paul:

Don't forget the context of this discussion. DLC abuse. Check the thread title in case you have forgotten. What exactly is your stance on this btw? Do you think it is impossible for game developers and publishers to abuse DLC? I'm inclined to call your argument ignorant, but I digress as you have yet to clearly define your argument.

no, the context which is being discussed:
'Is on Disk DLC 'abuse'?'

DLC abuse would be the over dependence on DLC of games...
And we see it already happening in examples as 'Maple Story' which only runs because of DLC purchases. the Asian MMO market is almost entirely built off of this market strategy, although i'm not too sure that it will be as effective in the Western market place as we are all still keen on the 'I buy, I own' way of thought.

But to the point of the discussion,
On Disk DLC is not Abuse.
You're not purchasing the content on the disk, nor do you have the rights to everything on the disk.

Ultimatly the digital content on the disk falls under 'Intelectual Property' laws and as such, you are only allowed access to the extent of which owner of said IP allows.

Bullshit. You can hypothetically cut, or downright lock on the disk, tremendous amounts of content and still adhere to the most basic standards of "video game". This practice would be dangerous for obvious reasons. Remember when Capcom pulled this crap when a bunch of characters were locked on the disk? The DLC was an unlock key. That's fucked up and should be obvious to anyone. It's beyond me why any consumer would support these practices.

Remember when Capcom got away with this because there was acctually nothing wrong with it? How you don't have any say what-so-ever on what they put on a disk? How the information on a disk is defined as an 'IP' and that you don't own any of it?

I suppose it would be beyond you because you're a mindless consumer that doesn't really understand anything and only greedily demands more and more for less and less, all the while thinking that your dime some how permits you ownership over some one elses efforts...

Need =/= complete. You don't need all sorts of content in your video games. I take it your standards for a video game are these:

1. The ability to continue playing the game, as in you don't need to put quarters into the machine anymore.

2. As long as the game allows you to play.. the... game?

3. You must be able, as in permitted by the game, to beat the game.

That's it? Your standards for video games are abysmal.

Acctually... that sounds quite accurate...

A game is a program which runs with minimal flaws and allows a player to reach what is considered 'end content' through only their own efforts with out any extra programs or aid independent of said program.

what is your standard?

Pyro Paul:

'Is on Disk DLC 'abuse'?'

DLC abuse would be the over dependence on DLC of games...
And we see it already happening in examples as 'Maple Story' which only runs because of DLC purchases. the Asian MMO market is almost entirely built off of this market strategy, although i'm not too sure that it will be as effective in the Western market place as we are all still keen on the 'I buy, I own' way of thought.

But to the point of the discussion,
On Disk DLC is not Abuse.
You're not purchasing the content on the disk, nor do you have the rights to everything on the disk.

Ultimatly the digital content on the disk falls under 'Intelectual Property' laws and as such, you are only allowed access to the extent of which owner of said IP allows.

Lets not confuse morality with legality. You are correct, a video game is the intellectual property of the game developers. According to the law, the consumer is not purchasing the video game, but rather a license to that intellectual property. The thing is, game developers haven't been all that interested is selling you licenses. They very much have been encouraging the notion that the consumer is purchasing a video game rather than a license.

They want to flex their legal muscles now? "We will lock as much content on the disk as we please because it's our IP, so fuck you and give us your money" is not going to endear anyone to that publisher or developer. Fans were outraged at Capcom for that crap they pulled with Street Fighter. There have been no less than 12 cases closed with the Better Business Bureau in the past 12 months over that game. That's their fucking fans. No one else buy Capcom games.

What about used games sales? A bit OT but still tied into the IP of the publisher and developer.

What about the right of the consumer to modify the files of digital IP not belonging to the consumer as long as it is for personal use? IE: a PC gamers getting access to that Disk-Locked-Content because his/her platform is not closed.

You can see where this is going. A very shitty picture is painted for the consumer when the game developers and publishers adhere to loopholes in broken legislation. "It's their IP and they can do whatever they want to us with it" is bullshit.

I suppose it would be beyond you because..

demands more and more for less and less, all the while thinking that your dime some how permits you ownership over some one elses efforts...

Yeah, I'm greedy. Any game developer that can't be bothered to make DLC, but still wishes to sell DLC, by dipping into the competed game content before launch to lock some of that content on the disk only to sell an unlock key, or cut and paste it to a server, is greedy and unethical.

Any developer practicing this shit is trying to get something for nothing. They want extra money yet refuse to offer extra content. I'll gladly pay extra for extra content. Completed game content withed from the game is not extra; it's competed game content and part of the video game being held for ransom.

you're a mindless consumer that doesn't really understand anything and only greedily

"Blame the consumer.. blame the consumer.... blame the consumer..." "Resistance is futile."

OK I got it.

You are either:

A) A payed mouth piece of these game developers and publishers

B) An apathetic consumer who thinks the only way to show your support for video games is to blindly support the industry.

C) EA employee.

A game is a program which runs with minimal flaws and allows a player to reach what is considered 'end content' through only their own efforts with out any extra programs or aid independent of said program.

what is your standard?

So by you standards a $60 game with 3/4 of the content locked on the disk is permitted, hell encouraged, as long as the 1/4 of content that remains adheres to the most basic of video game standards? You. are. insane.

My standards? A content complete, working, video game on day one and ethical business practices. If the game is buggy then patch it. If the game developers can't be bothered to make DLC then don't lock, or remove content on the disk to sell back to the user as false DLC. Don't murder kittens..ect.

Draech:
Dont like it. Dont buy it.

If you think that the game isn't complete without all the extras, then you just got to calculate the price as such.

A good example is Dungeon Defenders. Sold with the intend of making dlc and selling it. The models were available on launch, but has only resently been finished as DLC. Do we deserve them because the models were there?

No we get an offer, and we can take or leave it. We dont go into McDonalds and pay for a hamburger then expect a cheeseburger. You get what you pay for. Inform yourself what you are buying, and in this case what you arn't buying.

The problem of course has a lot to do with the gaming industry infamously keeping it's cards close to it's chest, or deliberatly lying about it's products. Games increasingly demand a leap of faith, and you won't know if your going to feel a product was complete until after you paid for what is effectively an unreturnable product.

A lot of the information that causes an outcry usually comes from people AFTER the buy a game and say go through the code to see what's on the disc but locked out.

I mean I'd agree with you if it was as straightforward as "Hamburger Vs. Cheeseburger" where the name says it all. But as it is, your not going to find out what's missing, either on disc or otherwise, until you play the game.

Too much is passed back on the consumers, even the arguement that you should "wait until other people buy it" is kind of ridiculous, because honestly you shouldn't have to get all paranoid about buying a video game.

I tend to agree with the OP to an extent, as originally promised DLC was supposed to be this great idea that would allow developers to cheaply release substantial expansion packs for games without having to worry about packaging, shipping, and other things. The idea being that you would see expansions like "The Forge Of Virtue" or "The Silver Seed" (for Ultima 7 and 7 part 2) more frequently and for more games. That isn't what has happened though, instead of becoming a way of releasing substantial content affordably, it's become a way to nickel and dime people, especially when the company is holding most of the information. Rather than developing content and expansions, they also hit on the idea of having their cake and eating it too, but pulling as much out of a game as possible to sell later in order to make more money off their products.

Saying that this kind of thing is "just good business" is not a justification, something being good business does not make it right. I'm all for capitalism, but there is a point where people get too greedy, and that's what we're seeing here. I do not consider "deal with it, or go without" to be a valid counter-arguement for something like this as well, especially seeing as if we wait for the industry to push things to the point where they alientate everyone to the point where the gamers decide to actually go without their games, we're probably looking at another 80s-esque video game crash. I'd much prefer for the industry to just grow up and content themselves with making a profit, as opposed to trying to gouge every possible penny out of everything they can.

Phlakes:

...What?

Uh.

Edit:

You are arguing that what you are getting is a Hamburger with the option to buy cheese.

A Hamburger is a cheaper burger because it does not come with content you would normally find on a conventional burger.

This is not what DLC gets you.

DLC charges you the cheeseburger price for the hamburger and then tells you that you can buy cheese on top of that to get a full cheeseburger.

So yes, a Hamburger for the price of a Cheeseburger with the added cost of cheese on top of that is flawed and does you not services.

IF games charged less and made it up through DLC I could see your argument being rock solid.

ANYWHO, some folks like to get conned, I won't get in your way. I'm not forced to buy the games at all and I choose not to, I just find it a shame that good IPs get ruined through very poor (but highly succesful) marketing practices.

It all depends on the type of DLC. I have no problem shelling out 800 ms for dlc on games like Kingdom of Amalur where they keep making content post game but on the other side bioware has proven to be awful with ME3 as in even if you pre-order you still have to buy the 800 point dlc for the game that was cut to get another 10 dollars off of their loyal fans.

And I'm tired of this crap from bioware, the post launch dlc and garbage ending for ME3 and DA2 being awful has poisoned them in my book. After ME3, I will have nothing to do with them ever again and this is coming from someone who played their games since the original baldur's gate.

TorqueConverter:

The only thing we as a consumer are entitled to is a working, content complete game on day one. That's it. We are not entitled to content developed after day one and we sure as hell are not entitled to it for free.

This is my major problem with Capitalism.

People treat it like a religion. This unquestionable thing that is brutally objective somehow.

Just because a company is not forced to do the right thing does not mean that they shouldn't do the right thing.

Humans, as it is now, are not entitled to healthcare in the United States. But they should be. That's the clencher.

And "content complete" is about as empty a statement as you could possibly have given me. I understand its because this is a vague topic, but it was entirely devoid of substance.

What is content complete? Is it what the developer says it is? This is why I don't like the word "entitled" or "entitlement" because people shift it to one direction or the other. Whichever direction they agree with is the correct one.

If I made a city builder game with a single building and a road. Would that be a content complete game? Yes, if that was what I set out to do.

But we should encourage people to ask more of their developers, to challenge people. Not to just eat up any half assed money grab. And I do strongly think there is a difference between running a business to make money and shamelessly trying to milk people for money.

Valve makes money hand over fist, as do a few indie companies, and each of them do it in a way that is largely positive. A company like EA can be a monolith, they can buy up competition and abuse laws to make competition difficult or impossible, they can but that doesn't mean they should and it doesn't mean people should support them.

That latter part is not directed at you since you seem to get it, but that's where I sit with these discussions.

If people continue to let business be this heartless creature that happily preys on the consumer the worse it will get. We should expect the highest caliber of person in the companies we support and anything less is foolish and deserves to be punished (which, luckily [for companies], it always is,).

Therumancer:

Draech:
Dont like it. Dont buy it.

If you think that the game isn't complete without all the extras, then you just got to calculate the price as such.

A good example is Dungeon Defenders. Sold with the intend of making dlc and selling it. The models were available on launch, but has only resently been finished as DLC. Do we deserve them because the models were there?

No we get an offer, and we can take or leave it. We dont go into McDonalds and pay for a hamburger then expect a cheeseburger. You get what you pay for. Inform yourself what you are buying, and in this case what you arn't buying.

The problem of course has a lot to do with the gaming industry infamously keeping it's cards close to it's chest, or deliberatly lying about it's products. Games increasingly demand a leap of faith, and you won't know if your going to feel a product was complete until after you paid for what is effectively an unreturnable product.

A lot of the information that causes an outcry usually comes from people AFTER the buy a game and say go through the code to see what's on the disc but locked out.

I mean I'd agree with you if it was as straightforward as "Hamburger Vs. Cheeseburger" where the name says it all. But as it is, your not going to find out what's missing, either on disc or otherwise, until you play the game.

Too much is passed back on the consumers, even the arguement that you should "wait until other people buy it" is kind of ridiculous, because honestly you shouldn't have to get all paranoid about buying a video game.

I tend to agree with the OP to an extent, as originally promised DLC was supposed to be this great idea that would allow developers to cheaply release substantial expansion packs for games without having to worry about packaging, shipping, and other things. The idea being that you would see expansions like "The Forge Of Virtue" or "The Silver Seed" (for Ultima 7 and 7 part 2) more frequently and for more games. That isn't what has happened though, instead of becoming a way of releasing substantial content affordably, it's become a way to nickel and dime people, especially when the company is holding most of the information. Rather than developing content and expansions, they also hit on the idea of having their cake and eating it too, but pulling as much out of a game as possible to sell later in order to make more money off their products.

Saying that this kind of thing is "just good business" is not a justification, something being good business does not make it right. I'm all for capitalism, but there is a point where people get too greedy, and that's what we're seeing here. I do not consider "deal with it, or go without" to be a valid counter-arguement for something like this as well, especially seeing as if we wait for the industry to push things to the point where they alientate everyone to the point where the gamers decide to actually go without their games, we're probably looking at another 80s-esque video game crash. I'd much prefer for the industry to just grow up and content themselves with making a profit, as opposed to trying to gouge every possible penny out of everything they can.

I do disagree with with you on the hiding information.

It is quite literally impossible to do so after the internet. Back in the NES era you could get away with it because the only referent point you would have would be the pictures on the Box. Now the game store attendant is the least reliable source of info available.

I am going bring out ME3 here as an example because it is the latest example people losing their shit.
There was an extensive demo as well as a ton of press releases telling you what you bought. There was drawn clear lines what content you got extra from buying specific versions. With the invention of the internet there is no excuse not knowing what you are paying for.

If you are going to say
"the gaming industry infamously keeping it's cards close to it's chest, or deliberatly lying about it's products."
you are going to provide me with an example. Preferably one where they got away with it.

Draech:
[
I do disagree with with you on the hiding information.

It is quite literally impossible to do so after the internet. Back in the NES era you could get away with it because the only referent point you would have would be the pictures on the Box. Now the game store attendant is the least reliable source of info available.

I am going bring out ME3 here as an example because it is the latest example people losing their shit.
There was an extensive demo as well as a ton of press releases telling you what you bought. There was drawn clear lines what content you got extra from buying specific versions. With the invention of the internet there is no excuse not knowing what you are paying for.

If you are going to say
"the gaming industry infamously keeping it's cards close to it's chest, or deliberatly lying about it's products."
you are going to provide me with an example. Preferably one where they got away with it.

There are numerous examples, one recent one is "Street Fighter X Tekken" where the DLC being on the disc as opposed to new character they were considering adding later was not something that was widely known before release. The same can be said of say "Marvel Ultimate Alliace 2" where as many people pointed out the screen shots and even some of the gameplay trailers did not match the actual product they released.

The thing is also that saying something on The Internet does not mean that the information is actually disseminated to the general public. Someone who frequents a site like "The Escapist" or even "Gamefaqs" is by definition abnormal compared to the majority of the gaming public, many of whom are people who do not follow games and their development and buy them entirely on a whim or based on the most widely availible information. As you can tell just from The Escapist forums, Gamestop employees are wrong as much (or more) than they are right, in part because they tend to release whatever information the company tells them to in order to move products.

With "Mass Effect 3" there is an example of them lying in the form of the ending, given that the developers clearly said things like "this is not an A B or C ending" and then that's what we got, as planned out by other developers who were outed in other interviews that were only availible for pay after the game's release.

See, a crucial point here is also what DLC is as well. For example the ME3 DLC was a fairly crucial part of the storyline, as a lot of people pointed out. Something they took out of the game in order to pressure people to pay even more money, due to the fact that it was a fairly crucial part of the game's lore and storyline.

All excuses aside, if "DLC" is availible at launch, or is based on assets included on the disc, it's by definition not working against the initial premise of DLC which was to expand games later on, after launch, with new content.

Half the time the game industry doesn't even bother to justify itself, which makes my point for me. For example Capcom has been taking the tact that "the game still presents a huge value in what you get for the initial sale price" totally sidestepping the issue, the intent of DLC, and similar things. It's an example of companies basically treating customers like junkies saying "deal with the gouging, or go without", that's wrong on a lot of levels (including on the original promises made abotu what DLC would be to get it to this point), but also a bad movie because gamers aren't literally junkies, we like gaming enough where we'll do a lot to continue it, but with this pushing eventually gamers WILL decide to go without, and by definition it's not going to be a temporary thing the industy can just wait through and get back to business as usual, it's going to cause another video game crash... one of the causes of the 80s video game crash was the industry producing what amounted to a sh@t product at a premium price, and while not identical this is similar as the cost of games including all the microtransations is getting to the point where it's increasingly not worth it. Some games approaching or exceeding the $100 mark to have all the content availible at launch, not counting store exclusive bonuses.

Therumancer:
-snip-

Here you are blurring the point again. ME3 ending has nothing to do with dlc.

Not only is the game perfectly enjoyable without "from ashes" you were also told what you got in great detail. Dont dodge that.

Draech:

Therumancer:
-snip-

Not only is the game perfectly enjoyable without "from ashes" you were also told what you got in great detail. Dont dodge that.

You said "examples of when they lied, or did not properly present the truth" the ME3 ending is an example of dishonesty in the industry. It was also just a reinforcing point, I ALSO mentioned "Capcom X Tekken" which has caused a LOT of contreversy when the planned DLC content was shown to actually already have been created and put on the disc for launch.

I'm also not dodging the point of "From the Ashes" whether the game can be finished or not without it, the bottom line is that Javik and his provided information fill in key backround and plot details for the game series up until this point. It's pretty obvious this was all intended to be present from the start and was removed to get more money from people, especially seeing as it was done at the time of release.

You also use "me" as an example, when really I don't work because I, just by being present on this site, represent a huge exception to the standard gamer. Most gamers do not hang out on company/industry websites, read gaming news (other than post release reviews) and hang out in places like this, which is why we do not have a daily posting population in the millions. What *I* know from careful research is not what the typical person knows, and it's ridiculous to say that before buying any product a consumer should be expected to do paranoid amounts of research.

I'll also say that in a general sense even I have been blindsided by the game industry in the past. An example would be how some MMOs pushed promises of beta access as an incentive to pre-order, printed on sales packages and everything else. To find out "details" not mentioned on the package (or referanced) you might need to find some dev annoucement hidden deep down in the game forums (and frankly, even I do not get on the forums for every planned game). This has lead to some interesting situations with devs scrambling to let tons of people into promised betas when it wasn't intended for legal reasons when enough POed people showed up and took issues with the advertising and not getting in... basically the industry promising something they didn't really expect to deliver.

Nowadays you'll notice that MMO companies have stopped doing that (mostly) though (which I mention to be fair). Fun Com is careful to say "access to beta weekends starting on May 11th" in pretty much all the releases for "the Secret World" and it's pre-order I've run accross. Oddly that contributed to my desician to pre-order it after all, as it does show that they are at least being more careful in presenting themselves than they were with "Age Of Conan" and learned from that mistake at least.

Therumancer:

Draech:

Therumancer:
-snip-

You said "examples of when they lied, or did not properly present the truth" the ME3 ending is an example of dishonesty in the industry. It was also just a reinforcing point, I ALSO mentioned "Capcom X Tekken" which has caused a LOT of contreversy when the planned DLC content was shown to actually already have been created and put on the disc for launch.

I'm also not dodging the point of "From the Ashes" whether the game can be finished or not without it, the bottom line is that Javik and his provided information fill in key backround and plot details for the game series up until this point. It's pretty obvious this was all intended to be present from the start and was removed to get more money from people, especially seeing as it was done at the time of release.

You also use "me" as an example, when really I don't work because I, just by being present on this site, represent a huge exception to the standard gamer. Most gamers do not hang out on company/industry websites, read gaming news (other than post release reviews) and hang out in places like this, which is why we do not have a daily posting population in the millions. What *I* know from careful research is not what the typical person knows, and it's ridiculous to say that before buying any product a consumer should be expected to do paranoid amounts of research.

I'll also say that in a general sense even I have been blindsided by the game industry in the past. An example would be how some MMOs pushed promises of beta access as an incentive to pre-order, printed on sales packages and everything else. To find out "details" not mentioned on the package (or referanced) you might need to find some dev annoucement hidden deep down in the game forums (and frankly, even I do not get on the forums for every planned game). This has lead to some interesting situations with devs scrambling to let tons of people into promised betas when it wasn't intended for legal reasons when enough POed people showed up and took issues with the advertising and not getting in... basically the industry promising something they didn't really expect to deliver.

Nowadays you'll notice that MMO companies have stopped doing that (mostly) though (which I mention to be fair). Fun Com is careful to say "access to beta weekends starting on May 11th" in pretty much all the releases for "the Secret World" and it's pre-order I've run accross. Oddly that contributed to my desician to pre-order it after all, as it does show that they are at least being more careful in presenting themselves than they were with "Age Of Conan" and learned from that mistake at least.

firstly.
Looked up on the tekken X streetfighter. People were informed. Clearly as well. The act that you cant see the Batteries not included isn't an excuse for ignorance.

Secondly:
That you speak for the average gamer doesn't change the fact the information is there. Not the companies fault. They did not hide it or make it unavailable.

Therumancer:
snip

Do you even understand why Capcom put on-disk DLC for Tekken X Streetfighter?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked