Which difficulty setting do you prefer to play on?
Easiest
4.4% (6)
4.4% (6)
Easy
3.7% (5)
3.7% (5)
Medium
41.2% (56)
41.2% (56)
Hard
15.4% (21)
15.4% (21)
Hardest
11% (15)
11% (15)
It depends
23.5% (32)
23.5% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Which difficulty setting do you prefer to play games on?

Pages PREV 1 2

I stick with normal on my first playthrough most of the time. I assume that that's how the developer intended and balanced the game.

If I like the gameplay enough, I go for the harder settings. But too often a harder difficulty only means enemies that can take more hits and/or me having less health, which can get ridiculous fast.

Which ever genre I am playing is what determines this. I will always play survival horror games on the hardest difficulty because I feel like I have to. I want the game to punish me for every mistake I make. I am looking at you Dead Space 2 on Hardcore. You really feel like you accomplished something by beating that all the way through.

It depends on how hard the game seems to be and how familiar/ good I am at the genre. First play through I usually just pick the standard/medium or the next one up from it. If I'm playing the game for a 2nd time I'll put in on the hardest difficulty (unless it really is too hard for me baldy designed)

Normal in most games. Unless there're like 5/6 difficulties then i'll probably go for the one above Normal.

Except in Devil May Cry type fighters... Then it's all easy all the time! Except maybe Bayonetta, the dodge move being a failsafe unbeatable force really makes me feel like i'll have a chance in the harder modes. Unless you dodge more than 3 times in a row of course. Then you're fucked XD

It really annoys me in DMC HD you can't have the easy enemies without the easy controls. I want to learn my moves not have them forced upon me game! I enjoy learning how to beat that first boss (Stinger to the face flip away, Stinger to the face flip away) without the game going "hey 'tard here's a badass combo you can have by randomly mashing the attack button!"

And i'm not sure what to think of them changing enemies between modes either. DMC as an example again. One cool looking black mist panther thing on Normal is replaced by a few random ghosts on Easy. Wow game thanks for making me wonder whether i'm missing out on some awesome boss monsters!

Shawn MacDonald:
Which ever genre I am playing is what determines this. I will always play survival horror games on the hardest difficulty because I feel like I have to. I want the game to punish me for every mistake I make. I am looking at you Dead Space 2 on Hardcore. You really feel like you accomplished something by beating that all the way through.

It's always the explosive suicide guys that got me in all my failed attempts at Hardcore... Fuck those guys man. That or the laundry room towards the start. Always unexpectedly difficult that room is.

Going for that chapter 4/5 first save always gets me killed, i would definitely fuck up the Stabby Machine at the end too. That thing terrifies me

I'll generally waffle between Hard, or whatever version of Nightmare the game has.

I often choose medium difficulty. However I'm starting to feel as if I should start playing modern games on the highest difficulty as they're getting far to easy.

Depends on how difficult the difficulties are and what kind of game it is. Some of them I play on easy if I'm just in it for the experience, but most of the time on whatever the middle is.

Unless I've got credible information on which setting would suit me, say from a short try-out at a friends place or similar, I always go for the hardest setting first.

My philosophy is that I'm far more likely to notice it being too hard, than I am of noticing it being too easy.

I also tend to like a bit of failing in games, as I feel it makes me think harder about what I'm doing, something which I figure might make me a better player, and could assist me in any eventual multiplayer.

And of course, it can lengthen a game considerably, which in this day and age doesn't seem to be such a bad thing, given how little time it can take to complete "modern" games.

I will say that too many games take the approach of giving you less health, and letting that be the only real change, though.

Best modern example I recall is Metro 2033 removing the entire HUD, which incidentally also made the game even more atmospheric than it already was.

If it's a game I'll repeat, I'll usually play once on hard and then switch to hardest once I get a good grip on the combat mechanics. Otherwise, I'll switch between those two.

For something where I do a bunch of playthroughs, I'll switch lower to speed up the story. =)

1st run, Medium/Normal
2nd run, harder
3rd run, even harder.

I start at medium, and I go harder and harder for every time I play the game...

I always choose hardest, unless it is like a bullshit version of hardest.

In Skyrim for example I start at hard and move it up to hardest at around level 5-10. Because most character types just can't win fights at the start of the game otherwise, or at least not without chugging potions which I refuse to do (one potion per fight maximum is my personal rule).

Same for Mass Effect: the hardest mode required you to spend like ten minutes on every fight, pausing and directing your team members... so for that I went down to hard: mostly because I don't like controlling team members in games.

But on most games I play I pick hardest off the bat and learn to deal with it :)

I figure that I grew up playing arcade games and NES games, and for me that kind of forms a benchmark for difficulty. If I can get through a level or area on my first try it feels way too easy - like the game is holding my hand.

And I can't have fun that way.

For my first playthrough I usually go for "Medium/Normal" or whichever setting is the baseline. Afterwards I'll mostly play on "Casual/Easy" just for fun.

Most games I avoid harder difficulties unless I really feel like it or there's some in-game benefit.

Example: Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 I started playing on Normal first but after I read somewhere you get you more experience and credits if you play on Hard. I decided to get used to Hard mode in order to maximise gain.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here