54.5% (291)
No
34.3% (183)
34.3% (183)
Maybe/Not Sure
11% (59)
11% (59)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Could you really give up on Bioware?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

If their competency in game developing and target demographic continues as they have, then yup, it would be easy to do.

I liked them when they made games for gamers rather than games for money...

Fr]anc[is:
Most definitely. Mass Effect as we know it is done, no matter how you feel about the ending. I would love to try TOR but I do not play games that get more expensive over time. DA2 was tripe, and unless DA3 does a complete 180 and go back to Origins, I won't be buying it. There is nothing else on the horizon for Bioware. I won't pretend I can see the future, but from here I'm done with them.

Pretty much this. Their last 3 major releases I have been eminently unhappy with, and all signs point to the trend continuing. Unless someone I know gets it and tells me it's amazing, I'm no longer buying any Bioware games.

I'm gonna see what they do with this 'extended edition'. If its exactly what they say it is then... I dunno if I'll give up on them for good, but I know I sure as hell won't be buying anything new from them. Might consider waiting for the price drop or buying pre-owned.

If it turns out that the press release for extended is just them trolling us and they give us something more satisfying than multi-colored explosions and space magic then... I dunno. We'll see.

They certainly don't have my brand loyalty anymore like they once did. Its gonna take a lot for them to earn that back.

If they don't really fix the ending, yes, I'm done, I don't like being lied to.

Sure, we've got Bethesda, Obsidian, and CD Projekt all making better western RPGs already. Actually, to be honest, I can't give up on them, because I never had any faith in them in the first place.

Hell yes, I haven't enjoyed 3 of their 4 last games.

I don't see the issue here. Last I checked every game Bioware has made since BG has been amazing, with possibly the exception of Dragon Age 2 which was still at least above average. But I suppose I must be one of those crazy people who doesn't drop every ounce of support over five minutes that I didn't like.

It's not a "can" or "will I", it's something I've already done. Bioware pissed me off with the ending sure, but the way they've handled this whole debacle has just been sad. I have no interest in doing business with them any longer.

I didn't hate DA2 so I'll likely pick up DA3. That being said, I am going to be far more wary of any new IPs they come out with. I'm also much more likely to get a used copy of any of their games so that they don't get a penny directly from me.

I ow Bioware nothing. They ow me nothing. Before every purchase I arm myself with information of set product. There is no loyalty. Only offers.

I already have, after Dragon Age 2 they had to prove that they can do differently...
Then the entire Mass Effect 3 thing happened, I still haven't bought or played Mass Effect 3 and don't really plan to do it, especially with the DLC-shenanigans ... so far I'm not hurting :P

I'm actually thinking of completely boycotting EA, since I was hoping they'd somewhat understand not to screw over customers and treat them like sheep... then they announced Origin as a platform, removed some of their games from Steam and increased their efforts towards "Online-Passes", improved DRM and "Day1-DLC" amongst other things...

Activision Blizzard has been on that list for 3+ years, so no StarCraft II or Diablo III for me. Eh, I'll survive... I have Kickstarter to throw my money at now :P

majora13:
Sure, we've got Bethesda, Obsidian, and CD Projekt all making better western RPGs already. Actually, to be honest, I can't give up on them, because I never had any faith in them in the first place.

Bethesda?
Oh yeah they are the generic reddit good guys right now....

Because they are different than the rest...

Do you remember what happened to Obsidian after New Vegas got 84 meta rather than 85?

They are as much assholes as the rest.

I only have Mass Effect 1 and 2 because they were on sale last summer, and I have no desire to beat ME2, so yes, I think I can.

Blizzard, Nintendo, and The Creative Assembly are the only gaming companies I'm still loyal too.

Where's the 'I did a while ago' option?

Frankly, while Bioware does ultimately make some decent games, but none of their stories outshine parallels from a variety of other mediums, and their gameplay is always subpar when compared to similar games. I stopped caring about Bioware after I completed Dragon Age and it said I was a woman, and then upon playing Mass Effect for 30 minutes.

dreadedcandiru99:

Anyway, that's me. How about you?

Of course I can. People who feel the need to stick with a company also need to realize the company doesn't care about you. The company cares about profits, and while any company may value its customers, it's never on a personal level after a certain size. BioWare doesn't have any need to be loyal to its long-standing fans unless it's profitable, so I don't have a need to be loyal to a long-standing company unless I enjoy their products.

Because I've been enjoying their products less and less, I don't really feel a need to pre-order or even purchase. To me, BioWare is uneven at best, and on the downhill slope of their writing skills at worst.

Neverwinter Nights? Okay.
Hordes of the Underdark? Awesome.
Dragon Age: Origins? Completely uninspired.
Dragon Age II? Better than DAO in some areas, much worse in others. Overall mediocre.
Mass Effect? Overall very good. The last few hours of ME1 show what BioWare is capable of.
Mass Effect 2? Combat is drastically improved, but the writing was spotty. Overall, good.
Mass Effect 3? Above-par game up until the end where the writing takes a long, runny shit.

Why would I be loyal to BioWare? Because over a decade ago they produced the Baldur's Gate series? Yeah, Baldur's Gate II is probably the best RPG ever made that I've played. Nothing has matched it in terms of depth and sheer quantity/quality ratio. You know what else? Nobody is going to try to match it, either. Even BioWare has said they're never going to reach for something better because a game BGII's size would be too costly. So obviously I can't wait around for a return to my childhood nostalgia.

I played Mass Effect because there's a dearth of good sci-fi games/movies in modern culture. It was very good, up until the end. I played DA:O because I wanted to see what BioWare's version of fantasy (which means they can make up anything they want) looked like, and found that the DA:O team had the creative capacity of corn. I played DA2 because I liked the art style much more than the supreme blandness of the original and the combat was better to me.

The Half-Life series is the only property I anxiously await news on. Valve could "pull a BioWare" as well, but I don't see that happening as they have as much time as they want.

Yes and in fact i'm already have. After ME3 i will never buy games made by BW. Once lost, my loyalty and money is impossible to get back.

Draech:

majora13:

Bethesda?
Oh yeah they are the generic reddit good guys right now....

Because they are different than the rest...

Do you remember what happened to Obsidian after New Vegas got 84 meta rather than 85?

What happened to them? I think what happened was... they were payed the amount promised them by Bethesda. They would have had a bonus if the metacritic had been higher, which, I agree, is a messed up way to judge the success of a game, but that's what Obsidian agreed to. Anyway, I just said they make better games than BioWare, not that they're "good guys". Though I gotta admit, Todd Howard seems pretty chill.

Draech:
Bethesda?

Before I debate with you about that- I will say that Bethesda isn't perfect. The incident where they sued Mojang for the "Scroll" title was bad along with how they ended Fallout III was pretty bad as well. Besides the flaws here and there, now I shall defend them:

Bethesda is a very noble company, and honestly they've done more good then bad (literally). I'll not just say they're good but give you examples on how they did good for the community, along with being a mature company (the developers being mature actually but you get my meaning.)

- Admitted that Skyrim will have bugs thus shall work on them immediately (because with such a huge RPG world, there are bound to be bugs. Some funny, others quite seriously irritating.)

- Answered all questions honestly, even pointed out to Skyrim's flaws in the making which also noted that Skyrim probably isn't as great as the hype it got (in other words, Skyrim won't be the best game ever with all the praise it's getting before release).

- Working on DLC as we speak. They decided to take their time and really make the DLC worth the money, while ensuring that we've got so much to do in Skyrim as it is. From November 11th when it was released and even now, they're still making sure this DLC will come out amazing instead of it being cheaply done.

- Got with Valve to give players the Portal Mod in Skyrim, for free! (sadly it's only for PC gamers but that's fine if you think about it. Mods can't be made for Xbox or PS3 anyhow.)

- Even though people expected them to keep making patches that fixed most problems, their recent patch was a big gift to the players for it featured more finishing moves when you made a kill, more variety of slow motion kills along with new features like being able to marry Lydia and so forth.. all for free.

- Throughout interviews, the developers never think of themselves nor do anything to rip off players. They always want the best for us and work very hard to make us happy. Seriously, every interview is nice to see while they continue taking years to perfect a game just so we know that not only is it a completed game, but the game has much more then most games especially dealing with side quests and a never ending story mechanic.

Those are just the few examples. I've never seen them in a negative light and trust me.. I keep track of what they do. Valve is just as good, who really love their community and go all out for the fans even saving them from emptying their wallets. Now, Bioware though.. i've been looking into everything they've been doing and I must say it's looking really bad. A lot of recent bad moves, but a very recent good move by giving us upcoming free DLC which is nice of them. Still, unsure if Bioware can come out of this one alive in order to exist for any longer.

Risingblade:
Easily, I buy games based on their content not because a certain company makes them.

Agreed. I was never a big fan of Capcom once SF4 dropped, but that was only because they made games that didn't pique my interest. And yet here's Asura's Wrath; say what you want about the game, I think it's awesome (it's still not God Hand 2 or whatever, but close enough). Namco Bandai is in a similar state - I don't really care for Tekken or the Tales series, but I fucking love Soul Calibur. I never cared for Activision's works after THUG2, but along came Prototype and best believe I'm copping Prototype 2 when that drops later in the month. And Square Enix still has yet to make a game I'm interested in.

BioWare (and EA by extension) is in the same boat. I bought SSX because I wanted SSX. I bought ME3 because I wanted ME3 (yeah, the ending sucks in the grand scheme of things, but that's another - and quite overdone - subject). BioWare's making the next C&C game, am I right? That's definitely off my "Want" list since I don't care for C&C, not because BioWare had a few hiccups.

My apologies for the wall o' text.

Yes, although I gave up on Bioware and EA before DA2 released. I hated the way so many little bits of DLC were dangled in front of us as "rewards" for signing up for various parts of the EA marketing machine. I was also extremely disappointed with the content of much of the DLC for DA:O. Nothing I've seen the studio or its parent company do since then has made me regret my decision. As a customer, at any rate.

As a human being, I'll say that I was glad to see Bioware publicly stick up for Jennifer Hepler. I don't think anyone deserves the personal harassment she took from the company's angry fans, and Bioware owed it to its own employee to support her. I also thought that giving all those cupcakes (a very classy kind of protest) to a local youth center was a decent response.

I wouldn't have thought it possible to give up on Lucasarts once, but I haven't bought one of their games since they cocked up the ending of KOTOR2 by shoving it out the door, well, without an ending, bascially.

The problems I have with Bioware go deeper than Mass Effect. In my opinion, the quality of their work has been in serious decline over the years, moving away from the "artsy" storytelling company they were in their youth towards more generic titles they've produced recently. I no longer believe that they can be held up as an exemplar of making games that are "art."

Does that mean I won't buy from them again? Maybe not. But I no longer have faith in them as a company. Any future business will be on a case to case basis

Possibly, I don't think Bioware's making the type of games that I'm looking for anymore, or at least they're heading down that road.

I'm a fan of the Dragon Age series though, and seeing what happens with 3 will help cement my decision. Unlike the first 2 though, I don't think I'll be pre-ordering 3, no matter what fancy bonuses they throw out with it.
If nothing else, I really hope they don't screw up another trilogy's ending.

Observation: I notice quite a number of people don't mention Jade Empire when they list games developed by BioWare. I'm honestly curious as to why that is...

Another observation: I don't understand this whole brand loyalty thing with the lot of you. A game may be the bees knees (whatever the fuck that means), but you refuse to by it because a specific developer made it? If you play a game and enjoy it, who gives a shit who made it?

That's a serious question. Why do some of you care so much who made the game versus whether or not you'll even get it in the first place? Money? Emotions? A perverse, elitist sense of entitlement (note the wording there)?

I already have and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot.

Bioware holds an area in my heart for two reasons.

1. I live in the same city they're in, and I keep trying to believe they can recreate something good that makes me remember why I liked them in the first place.

2. I remember StarWars: Knights of the old republic, which I have played through many times. Mostly, it holds value for me because at a young age (8 or 9?), everyone in my household could not figure out how to get past the first planet, which I managed, then nobody could beat the game either, which I also did.

Bioware stays with me because I'm biased. All other Bioware games Ive played (Dragon age and Mass effect) I couldn't bare. I'll always have hope for Bioware though.

SageRuffin:
Observation: I notice quite a number of people don't mention Jade Empire when they list games developed by BioWare. I'm honestly curious as to why that is...

Most people probably haven't heard of it, or don't remember it.

Caramel Frappe:

Draech:
Bethesda?

Before I debate with you about that- I will say that Bethesda isn't perfect. The incident where they sued Mojang for the "Scroll" title was bad along with how they ended Fallout III was pretty bad as well. Besides the flaws here and there, now I shall defend them:

Bethesda is a very noble company, and honestly they've done more good then bad (literally). I'll not just say they're good but give you examples on how they did good for the community, along with being a mature company (the developers being mature actually but you get my meaning.)

- Admitted that Skyrim will have bugs thus shall work on them immediately (because with such a huge RPG world, there are bound to be bugs. Some funny, others quite seriously irritating.)

- Answered all questions honestly, even pointed out to Skyrim's flaws in the making which also noted that Skyrim probably isn't as great as the hype it got (in other words, Skyrim won't be the best game ever with all the praise it's getting before release).

- Working on DLC as we speak. They decided to take their time and really make the DLC worth the money, while ensuring that we've got so much to do in Skyrim as it is. From November 11th when it was released and even now, they're still making sure this DLC will come out amazing instead of it being cheaply done.

- Got with Valve to give players the Portal Mod in Skyrim, for free! (sadly it's only for PC gamers but that's fine if you think about it. Mods can't be made for Xbox or PS3 anyhow.)

- Even though people expected them to keep making patches that fixed most problems, their recent patch was a big gift to the players for it featured more finishing moves when you made a kill, more variety of slow motion kills along with new features like being able to marry Lydia and so forth.. all for free.

- Throughout interviews, the developers never think of themselves nor do anything to rip off players. They always want the best for us and work very hard to make us happy. Seriously, every interview is nice to see while they continue taking years to perfect a game just so we know that not only is it a completed game, but the game has much more then most games especially dealing with side quests and a never ending story mechanic.

Those are just the few examples. I've never seen them in a negative light and trust me.. I keep track of what they do. Valve is just as good, who really love their community and go all out for the fans even saving them from emptying their wallets. Now, Bioware though.. i've been looking into everything they've been doing and I must say it's looking really bad. A lot of recent bad moves, but a very recent good move by giving us upcoming free DLC which is nice of them. Still, unsure if Bioware can come out of this one alive in order to exist for any longer.

As much as you want rose tinted goggles about Bethesda they are as much jerks as the rest of the big wigs.

When you bring out how good they are at doing DLC, ill bring out the fucking "Horse armor". You want to bring out past games I want to point out how they more or less has released the same thing over and over. Fallout 3 and Oblivion do feel rather similar dont they?

There is ofc nothing wrong with that. Just dont try to make it something that they arn't. They arn't saints.

When I said they are as much A-holes I am saying that, as much as we love them they will never love us. They dont even know us.

No brand deserves loyalty. Bethesda is not even close to perfect in their practises, but they are definitely good enough. A lot of companies are. Bioware included.

SageRuffin:

Another observation: I don't understand this whole brand loyalty thing with the lot of you. A game may be the bees knees (whatever the fuck that means), but you refuse to by it because a specific developer made it? If you play a game and enjoy it, who gives a shit who made it?

That's a serious question. Why do some of you care so much who made the game versus whether or not you'll even get it in the first place? Money? Emotions? A perverse, elitist sense of entitlement (note the wording there)?

I think people tend to forget Jade Empire because it's older, doesn't have a huge franchise name like Star Wars behind it, and originally released on XBox (the pc port was late and awkward). It's just easy to leave a game like that off of a "short list" even if you liked it. I played the pc version, and it had its flaws, but it was a nice change from Germanic/Nordic and Celtic themes.

Why do I care enough to avoid buying from Bioware/EA? I care in this case because I have purchased and enjoyed several of their games over the years, but I have also found their business practices to be increasingly frustrating and their products increasingly mediocre (irritating and intrusive DA2 marketing, disappointing DA:O dlc, will never put Origin on one of my pcs). They simply aren't worth my time and money at present, though if they change things a bit, I'd consider changing too.

I'm just going to simply ignore all EA games unless they are clearly of considerable quality, rather than catering to the drooling masses and EA's already expansive pockets. Like that will happen though.

I would love to hear the higher ups at EA conversing over their business practices over the following year or two:

"Well, sales have been dwindling... Who would've known that consistently alienating your customers would cause them to distance themselves?"

No matter what people say, I can pretty much guarantee they will buy the next Mass Effect game. Its already a franchise equivalent of Call of Duty to be honest, and boycotters generally don't last long to be honest.

And Bioware has different teams working on their games. Different people made SWTOR, different people made Dragon Age, and different people made Mass Effect. And because you hated one aspect of one game, the whole entire company is forfeit? Really?

Stop with the origin/mass effect/EA/Bioware bandwagon hate already. Its getting old.

If they make a good game that interests you: buy it

If they make a game that doesn't: don't

Not that hard people.

RatRace123:
Possibly, I don't think Bioware's making the type of games that I'm looking for anymore, or at least they're heading down that road.

I'm a fan of the Dragon Age series though, and seeing what happens with 3 will help cement my decision. Unlike the first 2 though, I don't think I'll be pre-ordering 3, no matter what fancy bonuses they throw out with it.
If nothing else, I really hope they don't screw up another trilogy's ending.

The problem with the DA franchise is that the storyline in DA2 was never meant to be DA2. It was meant to be an expansion to DA:O. Which means either they go with the original plan for DA2 in DA3 and just make a DA4, or they somehow try and sandwich them together. The latter gets you X-Men 3.

I wouldn't want to outright state that I would absolutely give up on Bioware, because a few years back I probably would have claimed absolutely developer loyalty and said the opposite. The bottom line is that no one knows what Bioware will come out with in the future, and whether or not it will be good or absolute tripe. So I voted maybe/don't know because whilst their recent efforts have been somewhat lackluster, I don't believe in outright giving up on a developer because they made a few games I don't like.

dreadedcandiru99:

=HCFS=Discoman:
All I hear about the ending is people saying they dislike it, not that it's poorly made or poorly interacts with the story.

It is poorly made, and it does poorly interact with the story. If/when you get ME3 and finish it, watch this. I think it pretty much covers everything.

That is the best video above all else, as it clearly states how the writing (as we found out was partially solely written by Casey Hudson) just falls apart at the end.

Its not that ending "too dark or too sad", but that everything we've been taught in how stories are told, and how we expect stories to resolve (from movies, books, cartoon's, TV shows) was thrown out in the final 5 minutes of the game.
The story attempts to change to focus of the story, and attempts to replace the protagonist and antagonist with the element that was just introduced seconds ago, in only 14 lines.

If BioWare games were about stories they told, then they just shown they have no desire in the care to make good stories anymore, its all about making the quick buck to court the CoD crowd.

And also looking how bad the writing, in both the story and characters of DA2 was, then yea, I have no interest if BioWare succeeds as a company any more. I still might buy their games, but I'm done supporting them on blind faith (pre-orders). If BioWare was to dissolve tomorrow, I would be able to honestly care less about that fact.

I will give Dragon Age III a shot.

I only lightly dabbled in the old-school Baldur's Gate days of Bioware, so I don't have any nostalgia for those days.

I haven't played any of the Mass Effect games, so I don't have any feelings on those.

I loved Dragon Age Origins, and while Dragon Age II was lacking, especially compared to its predecessor, I still distinctly enjoyed it and am looking forward to the conclusion. If Dragon Age III sucks, then I have no reason to stick with Bioware.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here