Dark Souls - PC Port confirmed!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

LilithSlave:

Adam Jensen:
You must have heard about Counter Strike, DoTA, Starcraft, Diablo etc. ;)

The thing is, calling a platform "hardcore" implies that there are other platforms out there which are "casual" in comparison.

Like consoles. There's no reason to consider PC gaming more hardcore than console gaming.

The Starcraft scene is almost undisputably certainly more "hardcore" than any console game. Especially in Korea, those guys dedicate their lives to it like a sport on a far wider scale you'd see an MLG CoD player.

Smeggs:
I still remember the waste of five dollars Metro2033 was on sale. Not because it's bad, on the contrary, it's possibly my favorite shooter of all time, but because anything more detailed than a blank wall made the framerate shit itself.

I remember trying to play Metro on ultra with all the fancy DX11 stuff turned on. I started the game, loaded a checkpoint, and immediately heard someone scream "ARTYOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM" in super slow mo with my frames dropping at an alarming rate. 5 seconds later the game crashed.

It runs fine on high though.

Oh the pain. Oh the sweet, masochistic, constantly-dying, yet challenging and in the end rewarding PAIN.

I need to start saving my pennies.

Makes me sad knowing that begging like little babies is a viable option for PC gamers. The game is a console game and beneath your notice.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I wonder how they will make the PC port as good as the original version. Properly designing combat for a keyboard and mouse will be very challenging. I recommend just plugging in a PS3 controller.

WSAD to move, mouse controls camera. Everything else to the standard E R F C X Z Mouse1 Mouse2 Mousewheel setup that all PC ports of console games have. Redesigning an input layout is actually pretty simple. And for those who don't like the default, well nobody designing for PC is going to be stupid enough to not include "Rebind Keys" in the gameplay options.

I'm curious about this... very curious...

But knowing my luck, I'm gonna get it and it's gonna say on the back "Requires 2.4ghz 4 core processor"

And I will sigh and set it back on the shelf (fucking 1.9...)

malestrithe:
Makes me sad knowing that begging like little babies is a viable option for PC gamers. The game is a console game and beneath your notice.

Hey! I was kind of hoping for a PC port of this, if only so I wouldn't have to drop $300 on a PS3 if I wanted to try it. I hope you're aware that in 2012, Microsoft Windows is just another entry on the list of gaming platforms. The days of the disparity between console games and PC games are long gone. Technology no longer has the limits that created that in the first place.

And besides, going "please please please please please" to a developer to make a version on your platform is far cuter than... say... demanding changes to a game and filing legal complaints.

Bhaalspawn:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I wonder how they will make the PC port as good as the original version. Properly designing combat for a keyboard and mouse will be very challenging. I recommend just plugging in a PS3 controller.

WSAD to move, mouse controls camera. Everything else to the standard E R F C X Z Mouse1 Mouse2 Mousewheel setup that all PC ports of console games have. Redesigning an input layout is actually pretty simple. And for those who don't like the default, well nobody designing for PC is going to be stupid enough to not include "Rebind Keys" in the gameplay options.

But knowing my luck, I'm gonna get it and it's gonna say on the back "Requires 2.4ghz 4 core processor"

it has to run on the outdated hardware of the weaponized toaster they call xbox360. if your pc was assembled in this last decade, you will be fine.

SextusMaximus:

LilithSlave:

Adam Jensen:

The thing is, calling a platform "hardcore" implies that there are other platforms out there which are "casual" in comparison.

Like consoles. There's no reason to consider PC gaming more hardcore than console gaming.

The Starcraft scene is almost undisputably certainly more "hardcore" than any console game. Especially in Korea, those guys dedicate their lives to it like a sport on a far wider scale you'd see an MLG CoD player.

This, CS, DotA, TF2 and some console games have amazing players. But korean SC is a whole league on it's own and yeah, they are way more hardoce than what you will find in any console game or really any game outside korea, fnatic and EG don't even come close this days. I wouldn't be surprised if MKP trained 8 hours a day with his team and then 4 hours more on his own every freaking day.

This is what makes me doubt how hard Darksouls can really be. I am very average at new games, but with practice have reached glad at WoW, platinium at SC II NA (and after a years break now i want to go for diamond :D ), and pretty damn competent at DotA. I am somewhat expecting something akin to supermeatboy hard, which will be fine and dandy (as long as the controls are totally crisp), and will buy the game regardless.

Leaving this link for some fun short game, HuK being a top level nonkorean pro (that lives in korea now if i am not mistaken) and CombatEX a mid lvl grand master: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyKYoQgiYHs

all i really have to say is i hope your keyboards are durable against extreme amounts of rage..other than that, have fun with it!

Somonah:

TheKasp:

DazZ.:
Why would this be "targeted" more than other things?

Do you really expect a good answer? He is just "edgy" by calling PC gamers pirates (what he basically implied here). I'd rather let him live in his illusion of the pirate-free consoles.

yes i am the edgy. even though i game soley on PC, only own 1 console for 1 game and you clearly know everything about me.

Anyways, i stand by my statement. It will be pirated like crazy. it'll just be a bad console port in so many people's opinions and no one will want to pay for it. it'll be pirated. even if it's a great port, people will say it's just a port and download it.

I honestly hope people fork over their cash for this game. I really want to see it sell well on PC, 'cus I'd hate for us to never get any more of this, even if it does turn out to be a poorly optimized port.

But with that said, I also have to agree with you that it will be pirated a whole heapin' lot, exactly because people will be asking themselves whether it's a bad port or not, and thus whether it's worthy of their hard-earned cash.

My body is ready.

Judging by some of the rage I have witnessed (and a weird nightmare I had a few days ago), I'd say that my mind is not.

Whatever. Bring it on! I'm so excited. :3

Bhaalspawn:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

malestrithe:

Hey! I was kind of hoping for a PC port of this, if only so I wouldn't have to drop $300 on a PS3 if I wanted to try it. I hope you're aware that in 2012, Microsoft Windows is just another entry on the list of gaming platforms. The days of the disparity between console games and PC games are long gone. Technology no longer has the limits that created that in the first place.

And besides, going "please please please please please" to a developer to make a version on your platform is far cuter than... say... demanding changes to a game and filing legal complaints.

umm here is the issue
You need 4 buttons at all times to attack a dodge button your hands on wasd a kick all at the same time and 4 buttons for your quicksslots(R1 R2 L1 L2 both stick X A B,etc)
and you need to be able to modify you movement speed at all times.(stick)
I doubt the controlls could work on a keyboard especially movement.

Stilt:

Kids hate cilantro, everyone knows that, and adults love it. That's just common sense.

On what planet? I've never heard this in all my 25 years and I suspect you're making shit up or trolling.

Oh and the story in Dark souls is great, very nuanced and subtle. Its up to the player to piece it together, fill in the gaps so to speak, overall it makes it one of the best stories in a videogame ever. I wish more games would take a page from FROMsoft and tell their stories like dark souls told theirs, instead of squatting over people and taking an exposition dump on their forehead. Some people tend to like this (FF13 fans), but hey we're all a little bit kinky so i'll refrain from judging

And again:"What the bloody fuck are you talking about?" Aside from the fact that I hated FF13, you seem to make random connections in your head without basis or reason. And I've read the rest of the story to Dark Souls, the gaps to fill in are as uninteresting as the rest of the story. Everything you say confuses me.

malestrithe:

Not sure is serious...

If so, good job perpetuating the PC eltist stereotype.

awesome, hope its not poorly ported. also heres hoping the sequel is released for PC as well as 360 and PS3.

rolfwesselius:

umm here is the issue
You need 4 buttons at all times to attack a dodge button your hands on wasd a kick all at the same time and 4 buttons for your quicksslots(R1 R2 L1 L2 both stick X A B,etc)

So it's not an issue at all Oo. Kick = q, dodge =e, wasd + mouse for precise movement, 1-4 for quickslots and the 4 buttons on the mouse for attacks (modify running speed with wheel).

Hazy992:

Stilt:

Zhukov:
Eh, too late.

I got the PS3 version and it was decidedly "meh".

Boring and repetitive combat, stupid checkpoint placement, respawning enemies and it looks like shit. Grey sludge layered on grey sludge. Although there was that one time I saw some green sludge. Made my day.

I'm just glad I got a used copy. If it had been full price I would have been pissed.

Try playing it again when you're an adult, I think you will like it better. Also cilantro, girls, and blackjack

I'm sorry, but what on Earth is that supposed to mean?

Either he's simply messing around or he's a bit stupid.

Probably a mixture of both.

TheKasp:

rolfwesselius:

umm here is the issue

So it's not an issue at all Oo. Kick = q, dodge =e, wasd + mouse for precise movement, 1-4 for quickslots and the 4 buttons on the mouse for attacks (modify running speed with wheel).

1:You do not just make a game designed for a multiple button mouse.
Im not talking about movement speed Compare walking around with wasd in a twin stick shooter and a stick.
A stick has much better movement control which is necescary in dark souls.

I have played this game and really it is not to my taste at all. It seemed deeply depressing in atmosphere, with a very console-centric approach to RPG conventions: a very basic story, no real character interaction or story development outside a hack and slash action based game mechanic. The graphics were also down to the usual console standards.

However, fair play to the company for listening to fans, and I hope everyone who asked for it to be ported buys it and enjoys it. Let's hope future petitions are this successful!

...New bosses? I'm going to be upset if this new content does not come to the console version of the game. :{

rolfwesselius:

Im not talking about movement speed Compare walking around with wasd in a twin stick shooter and a stick.

What is a "twin stick shooter"? Because I found in about every game which requires precision in movement to be better with M&K because the mouse allows better adjustment for direction.

And to your other point: Well, then we use two buttons more, q and e for other attacks and f / r for kick / dodge. Sorry but I really don't see any problem in transfering the control scheme towards M&K.

Yeah gonna have to pass on this. I like challenging games, but not ones designed to cater exclusively to masochists. If I want that again I'll just replay SMB2 (the real one), or I'll pick the masochist difficulty setting in another game.

rolfwesselius:

TheKasp:

rolfwesselius:

umm here is the issue

Um lol?

Obviously hasn't done much PC gaming.

Don't want to get in a kb/m vs controller debate, but that comment is just silly. I can't think of too many games where moving from console to computer has created a control issue - if anything the opposite is true. Taking a PC game and mapping it for a controller is much harder imo.

Rawne1980:

endtherapture:
This is good news. I am looking forward to it and I hope it sells well.

Hopefully it's not TOO challenging though, TW2 level would be nice.

Oh your in for a treat bud.

It's incredibly challenging, makes TW2 look like Hello Kitty. You will die, you will die lots.

Dark Souls is so good, honestly... when I heard people saying it should get GOTY over Skyrim I was slightly dismissive but once I played Dark Souls I immediately got it.

Oh and yeah, dying is just something you better get used to... and dont bother looking for difficulty options or even "options" in the menu because that is a fruitless endevour... which I tried.

The Almighty Grigard:

MrShowerHead:

Aeonknight:
Just a helpful hint. I swear.

Make sure you go to New Londo ruins first.

No, you fool! You musn-

Oh, I mean...yes. YES! That's where you should go at the start. If you keep getting lost, try searching for this narrow bridge made of planks. Good gear there.

Actually, that is a pretty good tip! Go to New Londo, find the blacksmith, purchase soul arrow and the catalyst. Learn that you can reinforce weapons. Then GTFO!

And by GTFO they mean head left up the spiral staircase and open the locked door with the Master Key, pick up the sould to the left, hug the wall and walk to the bridge. Cross the bridge and go left (LEFT!) until you see a HARMLESS skeletal dragon with treasure around it, just wander on over and pick up the treasure with absolutely no sense of dread!

Side note: Maybe pull off a couple of taunts after picking up the treasure near the skeletal dragon that is clearly dead and not simply... waiting.

SwimmingRock:

Stilt:

Kids hate cilantro, everyone knows that, and adults love it. That's just common sense.

On what planet? I've never heard this in all my 25 years and I suspect you're making shit up or trolling.

Oh and the story in Dark souls is great, very nuanced and subtle. Its up to the player to piece it together, fill in the gaps so to speak, overall it makes it one of the best stories in a videogame ever. I wish more games would take a page from FROMsoft and tell their stories like dark souls told theirs, instead of squatting over people and taking an exposition dump on their forehead. Some people tend to like this (FF13 fans), but hey we're all a little bit kinky so i'll refrain from judging

And again:"What the bloody fuck are you talking about?" Aside from the fact that I hated FF13, you seem to make random connections in your head without basis or reason. And I've read the rest of the story to Dark Souls, the gaps to fill in are as uninteresting as the rest of the story. Everything you say confuses me.

Ill make it simple for you. Direct exposition works well in book and film to a certain extent, but doesn't work so well in a medium that is interactive. The saying "show don't tell" is doubly true for vgames because the medium is literally about doing. Over exposition is the death of any story in any medium, so why is it used so damn much in vgames? A medium that inherently rejects it?

IMO Dark souls is the best kind of vgame story because you absorb the story through the world, the overcast sky, the dragon in the distance, the dank, dripping sewer walls hiding diseased ampibians, the butcher and his vicious dogs that reside there. When I see the butcher I think "what was he doing here? was he dealing with a rat problem? was he cutting up humans to feed his pets? was he just contemplating his life wondering how he came to live in a sewer?" In ME3 for example, do you ever wonder about what cerberus soldier #14,432 is thinking?

The story serves the ambiance and v.v. Im ready for more games to adopt this style because its so much more rewarding than you're typical vg story

Congrats people.
We can now die repeatedly to things we can't see and ragequit continously on Windows!

TheNaut131:

Hazy992:

Stilt:

Try playing it again when you're an adult, I think you will like it better. Also cilantro, girls, and blackjack

I'm sorry, but what on Earth is that supposed to mean?

Either he's simply messing around or he's a bit stupid.

Probably a mixture of both.

Yeah I'd wager both

anthony87:

gmaverick019:

joking aside, i've played both demon/dark souls, and i don't see why keyboard mouse would be a problem?

OT: Can't wait, I signed that petition and you bet your sweet ass my 60 bucks is gonna be thrown down for it.

Actually.......

yeah i've seen stuff like that, i just felt like putting that reference in there lol, since it's a tad bit more work than using a wired 360 controller or other 3rd party controllers.

SextusMaximus:

LilithSlave:

Adam Jensen:

Undisputably? There are all sorts of people who take all sorts of games very seriously.

What about the Cave shooter fanatics or high end Scrolling Shooter/Shoot Em' Up games in general?

What about the people who try to reach for a new world record high score in games like Missile Command?

What about professional fighting game players like Daigo Umehara?

And Starcraft is just ONE game.

I can't wait till Dark Souls is released on PC. I plan on purchasing it the day it comes out. Hopefully it gets released Steam.

YES

Day officially, made. Loved it on the 360, will love it on the PC :D

distortedreality:

Um lol?

Obviously hasn't done much PC gaming.

Don't want to get in a kb/m vs controller debate, but that comment is just silly. I can't think of too many games where moving from console to computer has created a control issue - if anything the opposite is true. Taking a PC game and mapping it for a controller is much harder imo.

You obviously have never played with a controller. The mouse may have slightly more accuracy and speed but movement on the keyboard is far worse then with a stick. There is a reason that controllers dont use the dpad anymore for movement.

Trippy Turtle:
I have a feeling this will get pirated more then purchased. I always thought it was PC only anyway. If its on xbox I might go get it.

It's already on the xbox.....

I'm playing it right now lol

Das Boot:

You obviously have never played with a controller. The mouse may have slightly more accuracy and speed but movement on the keyboard is far worse then with a stick. There is a reason that controllers dont use the dpad anymore for movement.

The thing is, the precise adjustment of the camera with the mouse is not possible with a controller. You need to have more control over the movement of the character.

And the mouse does not have "slightly more accuracy", it's a lot more accuracy. With low acceleration you can be precise to the pixel but still fast enough to turn around in a part of half a second. Again, there is a reason why console controls rely on auto-aim / hitscan / lock on. They literally need those mechanics to deliver the amount of precision you claim they have.

Of course, a mix of mouse + controller-eque analog stick for movement + the amount of buttons on a keyboard would be the absolute overkill in terms of precision and possibilities. This would be some kind of perfect gaming device for nearly everything (except fighters and racers).

TheKasp:

Das Boot:

The thing is, the precise adjustment of the camera with the mouse is not possible with a controller. You need to have more control over the movement of the character.

The thing is that more control over the movement of the character is exactly what you need for Dark Souls. Without that the game just does not work all that well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked