Games Not Worth Playing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

thememan:
Snip.

Okay, so you created a thread that breeds flame-wars and trolls, and insult and berate those who point this out.

Okay, I understand that.

What I don't understand is this:

Why haven't you answered my bloody question yet?

Army of Two: 40th Day.

They took everything I enjoyed about the first game and wiped their arses with it. Then they added a moral choice system for some reason I can't begin to fathom. Most pointless 30 minutes of my life.

zeit:
Bioshock is the most overrated game I've ever played. I got excited when it was announced because I was a big fan of System Shock 2 and was waiting for another game like it. But Bioshock isn't anything ilke System Shock 2 other than the fact that you still have someone yelling at you over a radio throughout the game and the story is in the form of badly voice-acted audio logs. It's really a lot like Doom 3, except with weapon upgrades and pretty water effects. And just like Doom 3, you start with a shitty pistol and then you find a shotgun which you use for about 90% of the game.

There's only three types of enemies: splicers, automated turrets, and the big daddies which aren't really that tough at all. In fact, nothing in this game is really that tough. Everything's all consoled out, dumbed down, all the complexity and difficulty is gone. All the scary moments from SS2 are gone. The whole game you are just running back and forth doing fetch quests for the voice in your head and killing the same enemies and doing the same Pipe Dream minigame to hack into stuff.

The RPG elements don't help the game stay afloat for long, about 3/4ths of the way through I was just plain sick of playing it but I pressed on to see where the story went. Unfortunately, the big plot twist near the end is painfully predictable, and both the good and bad endings to the game are nothing more than 20 second long pre-rendered cutscenes that are just plain retarded. The moral choice system is a completely overhyped element that doesn't really add anything to the game. It doesn't even affect the game in any way, all it does is determine which ending you get and both of them suck.

I will say, the graphics and the atmosphere are very well done. But it seems like the developers thought they did such a terrific job on designing their big gilded underwater city that they didn't need to give you anything to do in it other than fetch keys and flip switches and shoot monsters with a shotgun. The beautiful visuals just aren't enough to compensate for the dated, simplistic FPS formula and the RPG elements feel tacked on and almost unnecessary.

I paid 60 bucks for this mediocre repetitive piece of crap and I still regret it. Don't buy Bioshock. If you want to play it, rent it. Or better yet, ask a friend if you can borrow it; trust me, he won't mind.

I agree that the combat got repetitive. But, having said that, if the atmosphere, visuals, voice acting and the great twist weren't enough to salvage it... you must absolutely loathe every single FPS that's come out in the last 10 years, no? I mean, they're that... minus atmosphere, visuals, voice acting, and plot twists. Just clarifying.

The only thing I can think of that's that bad is Lost: Via Domus. But it's not like anyone in their right mind would pick it up in the first place, so this warning really isn't necessary. I'm lucky to say I haven't had very many Lego: Indiana Jones experiences...

Allow me to be Captain Obvious a moment *ahem*:

Any PS2 or PS3 Tomb Raider game. Underworld has the privilege of being the only game I truly regret buying.
I'm really hoping the reboot won't suck, but my gut tells me it will.

One game I played recently that I think wasn't worth playing? Sonic Generations (the PC version at least).

Every time I tried to play it it made me so goddamn miserable, I got so unimaginably pissed at that game. Which that alone made it not worth playing. Specifically though, the controls made the game impossible, they were slippery and unresponsive and probably not suited for keyboard controls, and the level design was shit (made worse by the controls). I died so many unfair deaths in that game. It made me so mad.

I think out of all the games I've played in the last five to ten years, that is the one that was the most not worth playing.

If a game makes me physically angry, if it makes me want (for the first time since I was like 10 years old) to yell and scream and punch out the goddamn computer screen; then something is wrong with that game. It is not worth it to play it. For me Sonic Generations was that game.

Assassin's Creed revelations, it's not a good game in that you start with most end-game items, to gain the rest requires a tutorial mission, and there is little improvement in gear and skills, the only appeal is ending the story of Altair and Ezio, but

Capitano Segnaposto:

thememan:
Snip.

Okay, so you created a thread that breeds flame-wars and trolls, and insult and berate those who point this out.

I berate those that post nothing of any importance. Bit of a difference there.

Okay, I understand that.

What I don't understand is this:

Why haven't you answered my bloody question yet?

And which question might that be? The only questions in the post I've seen appear to rhetorical. If they are not, then the simple answer to all of them is:

None of the the above. I understood fully that many would come in and post some rather non-topical suggestions. Yet the point of the thread is simply to gripe about games that are simply not worth the time for whatever reason. I posted about a game that gets very little attention in these regards, and I hardly see how I was trolling with my rather long and fairly comprehensive discussion involving it. The point of the thread is not "Herp-a-derp, this game suxxors because everyone thinks it's awesome and it's got so many problems". Rather it is a discussion on games that are so frustratingly bad that they are not worth the lost time you spend playing them. Some took it as the former, which is fine. They are at least contributing to the discussion. Many have taken the point of the thread as it is, which is better. And frankly, the fact that it is gone on this long rather validates that people really do want to discuss it, regardless of whether there are other threads out there of similar ilk.

So, once again, what the hell is your point in being here? Honestly, are you some sort of Crusader? A Knight's Templar of the Holy Land of Escapist Forums? Why is it so bloody important to further derail a thread you have absolutely no investment in, and have rather loudly proclaimed is not a valid topic of discussion? Isn't there anything, I don't know, better to do than to post in a topic you have absolutely no interest in discussing?

Also, The Sims... any Sims game. I know they cater to game players with a different taste but I suppose I just never had the taste for it. They're ugly. I mean like Second Life butt ugly. And dull, and boring, and slow, and the UI is a horrendous wreck. Only fun to be had is by abusing the hapless buggars, but I can do the same just by cutting the head off a Barbie doll.

And Assassins Creed. Granted I can only speak for AC2 but I've heard many of the same complaints about the first game and from what I've played the developers fixed nothing. I will give it credit for how fun and compelling it is to explore real life parts of old Italian cities and for its impressive collection of real world art but the game is utterly broken. The controls are complete garbage, the context sensitive platforming is a horrific wreck and the swordplay is utterly atrocious. Ezio is the most unresponsive avatar I've ever played. Tell him to go one way he goes another... right off the side of a building and into 40ft of mid air. Whatever he's directed to face during a sword fight he just refuses to turn to, leaving enemies open to ramrod the idiot from behind. The game is uplayable, and just from a technical standpoint so don't bother trying. The story is also completely lost. I like the concept of the virtual reality but then they just never take it anywhere. The cutscenes put me into a stupor.

I really can't stand to play Gears of War 3...I had it on the hardest setting and I felt like I'd only been pressing A for hours and my brain was slowly turning into a lettuce.

Maybe I'm playing it wrong but it just didn't do anything for me, maybe the multiplayer is better.

Conversation with my friend:
Him:'Oh you don't like it?'
Me:'Yeah It's too...'*searches for word*
Him:'Violent?' *patronising smug grin*
Me:'Boring...'

Angry Juju:

Griffon_Hawke179:
Sadly, Metroid Other M. For any fan of the Metroid series this is a game to steer away from lest one risk their perception of the whole series getting tarnished (I'd include the last several mins of Mass Effect 3 for the same reason.) Not only does it ruin the character of Samus Aran but it is an ill-conceived mess that is just horrendously broken and plays horrendously poorly.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree.

I thought Other M was an awesome game. It was challenging, fun and fast paced. Sorry but no matter how you look at them, the primary aspect of a game is to be fun, which Other M was (so was Mass Effect 3). You can't say a game isn't fun because of some bad voice acting/writing.

I thought the game played poorly. The controls were a wreck, it was linear, the method of restoring health was ridiculous and switching to first person to fire missiles just didn't work. Just from a gameplay standpoint I didn't like that you needed authorization to use Samus' abilities.

But, neither of us is wrong anymore than either of us is right. Glad you enjoyed it.

i can't really of anything that's not worth playing except those very cheap broken games that don't really work no matter how hard you try like big rigs. when it comes down to it play what you like and don't be a sheep

pure.Wasted:

I agree that the combat got repetitive. But, having said that, if the atmosphere, visuals, voice acting and the great twist weren't enough to salvage it... you must absolutely loathe every single FPS that's come out in the last 10 years, no? I mean, they're that... minus atmosphere, visuals, voice acting, and plot twists. Just clarifying.

The only thing I can think of that's that bad is Lost: Via Domus. But it's not like anyone in their right mind would pick it up in the first place, so this warning really isn't necessary. I'm lucky to say I haven't had very many Lego: Indiana Jones experiences...

Most FPSes are bad because its a very popular genre with a lot of competition and just having cool water effects or M. Night Shyamalan plot twists isn't enough to save a game that's just plain not fun. I mean, all that stuff is supposed to be the icing on the cake. If the game isn't fun on its own, all the gimmicks don't do anything but boost its review scores on IGN.

Half-Life 2 was undeniably fun. The atmosphere was perfect, the physics were perfect, the guns were perfect. People's faces looked like faces. The gameplay was smooth and fluid, lots of things to explore, lots of fun shootouts, a gun that shoots refrigerators across the room, a boss fight where you fight a helicopter in an air boat. The story wasn't packed into audio tapes with horrendous voice acting; the story was happening all around you. You were the story. In Bioshock it seemed like the story had already ended long before the game started and the only thing left for you to do was kill monsters and escape back to the surface (even though you went to the place voluntarily rather than waiting to be rescued.)

fish iron4:

If you don't like Bethesda's games then why did you buy 3 of em and plan to buy a 4Th? Im a bit con-fuddled

I liked Morrowind and it's the only one I've actually paid for. What kind of argument is that, anyway? Are you saying I can't criticize a game unless I've never played it?

Griffon_Hawke179:

Angry Juju:

Griffon_Hawke179:
Sadly, Metroid Other M. For any fan of the Metroid series this is a game to steer away from lest one risk their perception of the whole series getting tarnished (I'd include the last several mins of Mass Effect 3 for the same reason.) Not only does it ruin the character of Samus Aran but it is an ill-conceived mess that is just horrendously broken and plays horrendously poorly.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree.

I thought Other M was an awesome game. It was challenging, fun and fast paced. Sorry but no matter how you look at them, the primary aspect of a game is to be fun, which Other M was (so was Mass Effect 3). You can't say a game isn't fun because of some bad voice acting/writing.

I thought the game played poorly. The controls were a wreck, it was linear, the method of restoring health was ridiculous and switching to first person to fire missiles just didn't work. Just from a gameplay standpoint I didn't like that you needed authorization to use Samus' abilities.

But, neither of us is wrong anymore than either of us is right. Glad you enjoyed it.

I thought the controls were quite good, though I agree on the flipping to 1st person to fire missiles however given the style of game they wanted to make it I don't see how they could have changed that with the buttons available. I have mixed opinions on the health restoration, I don't think it was necessarily bad but then I don't think it was necessarily good either.

As for the authorization I think it was easier to comprehend than 'find all of these conveniently placed power ups which this bottle ship just happened to have'. And I think the authorization was there so Samus didn't destroy everything on the ship and kill everyone accidentally. Though saying that there was one power up which I didn't understand and that was the Varia suit, I think that Nintendo just dug themselves into a hole for that part and couldn't think of how to make the suit mean something while at the same time make its placement make sense.

zeit:
Bioshock is the most overrated game I've ever played. I got excited when it was announced because I was a big fan of System Shock 2 and was waiting for another game like it. But Bioshock isn't anything ilke System Shock 2 other than the fact that you still have someone yelling at you over a radio throughout the game and the story is in the form of badly voice-acted audio logs. It's really a lot like Doom 3, except with weapon upgrades and pretty water effects. And just like Doom 3, you start with a shitty pistol and then you find a shotgun which you use for about 90% of the game.

There's only three types of enemies: splicers, automated turrets, and the big daddies which aren't really that tough at all. In fact, nothing in this game is really that tough. Everything's all consoled out, dumbed down, all the complexity and difficulty is gone. All the scary moments from SS2 are gone. The whole game you are just running back and forth doing fetch quests for the voice in your head and killing the same enemies and doing the same Pipe Dream minigame to hack into stuff.

The RPG elements don't help the game stay afloat for long, about 3/4ths of the way through I was just plain sick of playing it but I pressed on to see where the story went. Unfortunately, the big plot twist near the end is painfully predictable, and both the good and bad endings to the game are nothing more than 20 second long pre-rendered cutscenes that are just plain retarded. The moral choice system is a completely overhyped element that doesn't really add anything to the game. It doesn't even affect the game in any way, all it does is determine which ending you get and both of them suck.

I will say, the graphics and the atmosphere are very well done. But it seems like the developers thought they did such a terrific job on designing their big gilded underwater city that they didn't need to give you anything to do in it other than fetch keys and flip switches and shoot monsters with a shotgun. The beautiful visuals just aren't enough to compensate for the dated, simplistic FPS formula and the RPG elements feel tacked on and almost unnecessary.

I paid 60 bucks for this mediocre repetitive piece of crap and I still regret it. Don't buy Bioshock. If you want to play it, rent it. Or better yet, ask a friend if you can borrow it; trust me, he won't mind.

I notice that you didn't even give a single word to the fun ADAM system (Plasmids, Tonics, etc.)

Arnoxthe1:
I notice that you didn't even give a single word to the fun ADAM system (Plasmids, Tonics, etc.)

Potions and spells with a different name. Yawn.

I have but one answer to this thread: Final Fantasy X-2

I'll say this. There are games I like. There are games I don't like. But this, THIS, is the only game I actually wish didn't exist. Yes, I'm willing to accept the existence of E.T., Superman 64, and fucking Sonic 06, but I won't accept this game.

I could rant all day about it, but Spoony has saved me the trouble with his rather-extensive and thoroughly-entertaining review of the game:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/spoonyone/final-fantasy-x-2

But you know what? I don't think he was tough enough on the game. I seriously hate it more than he does.

At least Sonic 06 has the decency to retcon itself out of existence, I can kind of get behind that at least. But this game actually makes Final Fantasy X WORSE by its existence.

zeit:

fish iron4:

If you don't like Bethesda's games then why did you buy 3 of em and plan to buy a 4Th? Im a bit con-fuddled

I liked Morrowind and it's the only one I've actually paid for. What kind of argument is that, anyway? Are you saying I can't criticize a game unless I've never played it?

oh fair enough then but I wasn't arguing I was just a bit interested and all, as you should never judge a book by its cover. But also I hope that if you pirate a game to test it out you better also pay for it if you like it :l

"The You Testament" by mdickie. Absolute crap

For games from yesteryear it would have to be Master of Orion III.

First, it's the most buggy pile of crap ever to be rushed out the door before its time (its time was "never," but there was money to be made, so out it went!) Seriously, I played Fallout 2, unpatched for fuck's sake, and MoO3 was worse.

Think you can tell a planet to build something? Fuck you! A few turns later, you'll check back and see as soon as your back was turned the planetary governor -- who you had switched off -- has turned himself back on and set the planet to produce transports! Which might be okay, if you didn't already have fifty of the things from all the other planetary governors doing the same thing. Never mind that we're about to be attacked, and our survival as a species depends on us having combat ships to defend ourselves. Transports for everyone, huzzah!

Think space battle will be exciting, visually stimulating, or comprehensible? Think again! It's a grid with moving dots! Seriously, it's like something pulled out of a 1983 movie. In a game released in 2003. I kept expecting a shockingly young Matthew Broderick to pop up. And don't think you'll have any idea why you're winning or losing, or even what's happening. Simply inexcusable.

The worst part is you can see jagged shards of the game's shattered potential lying around. It's got MoO2, one of the best strategy games ever, as a predecessor, and you can see lots of little things that carried over. The layers-of-an-onion approach to management was a neat idea that should have allowed you to run things in broad strokes or drill down and micromanage to your heart's content, provided of course that all your choices didn't undo themselves as soon as you looked away.

For more recent games, I avoid the following labels.

Halo. I've played Halo, I found it mediocre. I don't understand the fuss. Please don't tell there is no such thing as Halo fanboys. I've met some.

Mass Effect. Yeah, that's right, I said Mass Effect. Heard good things, bought the first game, want my money back. Something is deeply wrong with this game. It crashes randomly even after patching. With all graphics on minimum my framerate doesn't get above 15, ever (on a machine that can run Crysis smooth as silk with good settings). Oh, and don't try to save, or the game will crash! This franchise isn't getting any more money from me.

Call of Duty. The single player campaigns are good, but too short. Multiplayer is why you buy these. I found the online experience a chaotic, selfish, twitchy mess of rag-doll physics and foul-mouthed twelve-year-olds. No strategy, no real tactics (quickscoping does NOT count), no teamwork. Online games are often known for unpleasant communitites, but I'd have to say CoD "wins" the trophy.

Murmillos:
Fable 3.

There were ample problems with Fable 1 and Fable 2, but the continued failure to improve the franchise and further water it down so that it would only please gamers of 8 years of age make the game in the Not Worth Playing.

Long loading times, everything down to the most simplest matters must be done in the sanctuary and NPC interaction is butchered down into random toilet humor -- I swear 90% of my interaction choices was to either fart or burp.

bravo, you read my mind from a far, and wrote exactly what I wanted to!

Griffon_Hawke179:
Also, The Sims... any Sims game. I know they cater to game players with a different taste but I suppose I just never had the taste for it. They're ugly. I mean like Second Life butt ugly. And dull, and boring, and slow, and the UI is a horrendous wreck. Only fun to be had is by abusing the hapless buggars, but I can do the same just by cutting the head off a Barbie doll.

Okay, after a very late evening with The Sims 3 I redact this statement.

Johnny Impact:

Mass Effect. Yeah, that's right, I said Mass Effect. Heard good things, bought the first game, want my money back. Something is deeply wrong with this game. It crashes randomly even after patching. With all graphics on minimum my framerate doesn't get above 15, ever (on a machine that can run Crysis smooth as silk with good settings). Oh, and don't try to save, or the game will crash! This franchise isn't getting any more money from me.

Played it on PC did you? Well there's yer problem!! From my experience Bioware's technical engineers and programmers are sloppy at best. I've played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, KoTOR and Neverwinter Nights on the PC and not a single one of them ever ran smoothly or at all. That sort of sloppy programming work really bleeds through on PC more-so than consoles, but even for Biowaste games released on consoles their sloppy tech engineering work is woefully apparent. I had big f**** tech problems with Dragon Age: Origins on the 360.

Civilization 5

City states, new territory system, new city defense system, I found it all unnecessary and felt that it really distracted from everything else that was going on. Also, the fact that i couldn't advance a turn without dealing with ALL the bullshit notifications i got from units and cities first was annoying as hell.

Ill stay with my Civ4 a bit longer.

Right, I enjoyed Bioshock, that makes me a cunt then does it?

PieBrotherTB:

I loved Bioshock, I think its a great game. I don't get why many people dislike it.

Skyrim...personally

played a few hours and I am content not to touch it again...I didnt even get to the dragons

Username5550123:

PieBrotherTB:

I loved Bioshock, I think its a great game. I don't get why many people dislike it.

uuuuhhhh...many people "don't" dislike it

the popualr attitudes on this site dont actually reflect the majority of gamers...generally

Griffon_Hawke179:

from what I ccan gether Metroid other M was...."as it was" from start to finish

at least with ME3 (regardless of eather you liked it or not) the ending is the thing that stands out...and doesnt always ruin the entie trilogy

but yeah, I think I can safley say without playing other M that its best to stay away..and I fucking loved metroid for a short period of time

I thought this was going to be a thread about bad games that aren't worth your time no matter what, not people's genre-hate.

NOBODY PLAY BIOSHOCK IT WAS BAD OVERATED LOLOLOLOL Just because you think a game is overrated doesn't mean its not hopeless to everybody.

Bad games that are not worth play should be bad games that NOBODY should play. Like My Sims, Duke Nukem Forever and Superman 64.

Just remembered, The Urbs. Now I have to repress that again.

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
DON'T DO IT

Kalezian:

krazykidd:
Games not worth my time :

FFXIII-2 : i feel myself getting dumber playing it ( i swear i do)
Agrest war zero : a battle takes up to 40 mins , death of a haracter is not something to take lightly , so much time wasted on normal battles

That's all i got for the moment . But any has tips on how to play agrest war properly ( because i assume i'm doing it wrong ) please do tell.

did you play the first FF XIII?

Because I actually fell asleep during the first cutscene, what kind of shit is that?

OT: Games not even worth playing?

Damn, that's actually a tough one, but I have to go with three games:

Empire Earth 3.

No, don't even think about getting it. It dumbs down so much of what makes an RTS a RTS that what you have left is like a Playskool "Baby's first videogame" playset.

Masters of Orion 3.

FUCK THIS GAME, FUCK IT WITH UNUSED COPIES OF E.T. FOR THE ATARI. I believe it is solely responsible for the decline of 4X games in recent years. The game is so obtuse to play you might as well let the computers duke it out for your own amusement, but even then they get confused from time to time.

Mount and Blade.

Prepare the flame shield, I mean the first mount and blade game, it has no multiplayer and really has no point other than for LP's, I have to say though, if you want to play a great game, get M&B: Warband, gives you multiplayer and the expansions are fucking AWESOME.

what are you talking about you crazy person they never made a master of orion 3 because if they did that day i tried it and it destroyed my soul wouldnt just be a nightmare so no its not real

Skyrim, I thought it was pretty good to begin with but everytime I made it to level 20 I became over-powered, no matter what class I went. Plus almost every challenge becomes repetitive after the first couple of dragons and dungeons.

I guess if you're patient enough, you could download mods to improve it but it can only improve so much.

SSB Brawl, one of the worst designed sequels ever made, including random tripping.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked