Games That Aged Horribly

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Tanis:
FO3...dated, REALLY? REALLY?!

Damn do I feel old now.

Age isn't really a factor. Fallout 3 and Oblivion just happen to feel more like "a product of their time" than older but not as dated games do.

Saviordd1:

I'm sorry JC, but you didn't age gracefully...

That game was hideous by the standards of when it first came out.
But it's aged quite well for me; not because of the graphics but because of the writing and especially the level design.

All of these hyper-linear games with breadcrumbs and idiot-lights on the trail only makes me pine more for a return to the sprawling inter-connected rooms and secret passages. It makes me appreciate more the effort that goes into the interaction between the player and the environment.

If Human Revolution got anything right about Deus Ex, it was that.

pure.Wasted:

Tanis:
FO3...dated, REALLY? REALLY?! Damn do I feel old now.

Age isn't really a factor. Fallout 3 and Oblivion just happen to feel more like "a product of their time" than older but not as dated games do.

Fair enough.

Most games that go for 'realistic' seem to age worse than those that go for a 'style'.

I seem to have a mutant imunity to disliking a game over outdated graphics. Unless the graphics actualy make it hard to tell whats going on, I can tolerate any ridiculous blocky animations.
In fact Ive been playing Duke Nukem 3D as of late...god that game is good. Shooters why cant you be like that again?

Personally? Most N64/PS1 games have aged pretty bad. NES/SNES(and any other sprite based) games will always be more appealing(to me) than the attempts at 3D that those games did.

Yes it was gaming's first true attempt at 3D, but it made controls really awkward, especially for someone used to 2D controls. Though this was fixed towards the end on the PS1's life cycle since when the PS2 came out, most games of a similar type had a pretty similar control scheme.

Graphics wise, I think the PS2-era games have aged horribly, simply due to the fact that digital artists have gotten the hang on 3d models, but graphics technology has advanced so fast that early PS2 games by comparison look like garbage. PS1 games have the charm of "baby's first 3D model", but last gen is just... bad.

Of course there are some games that didn't age badly due to graphics because they used an art style instead of going for "realism". This is one of the reasons that I think Modern Warfare had aged worse than TF2, or perhaps that's just because I still enjoy TF2...

Need For Speed III. The soundtrack is still unsurpassed, but my God are the controls unresponsive. High Stakes has all the same tracks and cars with much smoother controls.

Compared to the other posters I seem to have a really good tolerance for old games that don't "age well." I still enjoy Deus Ex despite the outdated graphics. It's usually the gameplay that ruins it for me. I still can't stand the micro-managing style of games like Baulder's Gate.

Reminds me when a friend and I saw an old Atari (I think it was a 2600) unit for $15. We got really exited, bought it along with eight games. When we got to his house we played it for 5 minutes until we realized "Wait, this is really, really out of date." So I guess that's my cut off point.

Actually, I've recently played through all the big games from my childhood (Jak and Sly collections) and they've both held up awesomely. Actually, I was going through a weird cynical phase while playing Sly 3, and I enjoyed it quite a bit more now then I did when I was a kid.

Wait a second, Fallout 3 came out four goddamn years ago. It hasn't aged, PERIOD.

Ya damn whippersnappers.

nikki191:

i tried to play neverwinter nights the other week thats going to take some effort to get into again

I hope your not planning on playing the OC, cause it will take a ALOT of effort to get into, it's so shitty.

Pretty much the entire PlayStation catalog. A few exceptions like... um... Parappa the Rapper and ah... anyway, it's aged terribly.

The Commander Keen games. I enjoyed those... when there were only five years old. Now they're pretty suck.

Also, any 3D shooters that were filled with 2D models that always faced you, no matter where you looked...

Master of Orion 1. Most older games I can still enjoy though.

Yeah, bit of a tangent on part, but here goes. We all know why people keep retro homages to various old NES, SNES and Atari style graphics right? Partially the nostalgia factor, but also because until the early to mid 00s, you couldn't play most 3d games for a good hour or so without your eyeballs screaming O DEAR GOD, STOP. on that note, mario party, both in the fact that the old game hasn't aged anywhere near gracefully. and the fact that the games have only gotten worse with time

Easy question with 2 answers for me.

Deus Ex and Final Fantasy 7

Goldeneye. How the hell did people play console shooters before twin stick controllers? I just don't even understand how the aiming works in this game anymore, and I used to play it all the time back in the day.

Fallout 3 is not that old and hasn't aged yet, let alone aged 'badly'.

Morrowind is a game that has aged terribly. Mods redeem some of the environment graphics but the people and large text boxes look awful.

Fallout 3 dated.. lol?

Umm Silent Hill 2 hasn't aged too well but the creep factor is still there.

I'm prepared to forgive Deus Ex because I never played it for the graphics to begin with, it has a great story and the missions can be completed using a number of different solutions. I replayed it only a year ago or so and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Racing games, sports games, FPS that don't have a story, these are the kind that to me age poorly. Other games have done exactly what they did, but with shinier stuff.

Not so much a game, but ever tried using older consoles on 40" + lcd screens? Dear lord is it bad... For that matter most games.

Though I suspect it has less to do with the game and more to do with us, the gamers expecting every new game to have more and more content and better graphics.

The original Persona game. I want to like you, but why do you have to be so fucking boring?

Mario 64 is a game I'm not sure if it has aged poorly or if I just never liked it at the time because I never played it much even when it was new and taking the gaming world by storm, Spyro's aged way better these days.

And basically any NES-era JRPG sans MOTHER 1 and Sweet Home, they've all aged really badly.

Definitely Deus Ex, even at the time of release it was a butt ugly game, a good one nonetheless though

but more sadly for me, majoras mask for N64. Was wowed by the sheer brillance of it when i was young lad, but now... everybodys so...so...pointy.

makes me hate to think what Ocarina of time looks like now on N64

Most of the games made for the PS1, N64 and Dreamcast have aged so badly visually that almost none of them deserve any spots on any informative list of the best games of all time, Ditto for the vast majority of Atari 2600 games and most early NES titles. Up until the debut of the 360 and PS3, there were almost no great looking fully 3d games. Some exceptions (Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey, Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage, Half Life 2, Halo: Combat Evolved) but mostly bad visuals.
Halo 1 still controls and plays like a dream, but Halo 2 dropped the ball there.
If anything, The original Medal Of Honor is the biggest victim of nostalgia. It needs a remaster with better visuals and controls to be worthy of one of the greatest soundtracks ever made.

Wait, nostalgia? For Fallout 3? The game came out 4 years ago. Sure there was a game in the series after it, but that's like playing Black Ops for nostalgia purposes. A game isn't old just because it's not the latest installment.

Jitters Caffeine:
Wait, nostalgia? For Fallout 3? The game came out 4 years ago. Sure there was a game in the series after it, but that's like playing Black Ops for nostalgia purposes. A game isn't old just because it's not the latest installment.

Aaaand if you'd read my comments since the OP, you'd know that a game feeling "dated" has much less to do with how much time has passed since its release than it does with how deliberate and coherent its style is.

A game that's made to look realistic will age faster than a game released at exactly the same time, but made to look cartoony instead, simply because the standards for realism will have improved drastically within 6 months, but there is (in large part) no such thing as standards for something very stylized.

It's why WoW is beautiful despite being playable on pre-internet computers and having low-polygon models, while EQ2 and LOTRO and all them "realistic" looking things that came out later just look brown and gray and boring.

edit: I never used the word nostalgia to refer to Fallout 3. I just assumed that most of the examples people would list would fall into the rose-tinted-glasses category. And... it looks like I was right.

pure.Wasted:

Tanis:
FO3...dated, REALLY? REALLY?!

Damn do I feel old now.

Heh. Fallout 3 was always ugly and brown and this was commented on everywhere immediately upon release. The OP's complaints are not so much a product of age, but how it always was.
Arguably the scenery is the least bad visual aspect of FO3 too, if you don't mind muted colors.

Likewise for Oblivion, the heads and animations have always been very bad. Only the scenery looked good at the time. The rest was already started out very poor compared to games released years earlier, such as Half-life 2.

Clumsy controls are maybe an excuse for 8-bit generation games, but not for any first person game released post Quake.
Seems like the TS is seeing for the first time what the game realy is.

GamingAwesome1:
The original Persona game. I want to like you, but why do you have to be so fucking boring?

Oh god that first person view is so disorientating and bad and the combat just hasn't aged well.

Dirty Hipsters:
Goldeneye. How the hell did people play console shooters before twin stick controllers? I just don't even understand how the aiming works in this game anymore, and I used to play it all the time back in the day.

I agree, which is why I'm always perplexed by people who say they would rather play Goldeneye than Call of Duty or Halo, I know they're just trying to seem cool and "hardcore" but still. I mean it's like, for PC shooters, having had mouse and keyboard controls, would you go back to playing shooters that had JUST arrow keys?

Any PC FPS made before the advent of mouse-look. I can't stand to play a keyboard-only FPS for more than about 30 minutes.

Also, I don't care too much about visuals usually (I spend more time playing old games than new ones), but pretty much every 3D game from the N64/PS1 era looks like total crap today. To the point where it can be hard on your eyes on a big TV.

Goldeneye
Deus Ex
and Brood War.

All are damn near unplayable for me now.

Deus Ex, I can see why people liked it when it was out, however the mechanics are very very clunky and slow and I just couldn't get around that. Sitting there for like a full minute waiting for my crosshair to tighten.
Couldn't even stunrod a guy in the back, he just turned around ignoring he shocks I put into his damned spine then shot me to death. Despite this working on the last 2 guys. The game just randomly decides to if it'll work.

Mortal Kombat games.

I never liked aesthetic when they first came out. An aesthetic that's sadly become the norm of the modern gaming.

They were doing the whole "realistic" thing back in the 16-Bit era. It looked ugly then, but it looks incredibly campy right now. At least a game like Cho Aniki is ironic and trying to be campy. Heck, even Micheal Jordan: Chaos in Windy City is less campy than Mortal Kombat.

Now that's sad. Because as far as I'm aware, Mortal Kombat actually somehow took itself more seriously than Cho Aniki.

You've got to give Mortal Kombat credit for one thing, though. They had one of the most awesome electronic tracks to ever grace the video gaming industry.

Anachronox :'(
It's a marvellous, wonderful game but it's graphics...
Nooooooo. :\

I'm gonna jump on the Deus Ex train, here. Played it for the first time a couple years ago, just thinking "How did people like this?!"
Thankfully Human Revolution was good.

Lots of uncalled for whining in this thread. I do not understand how one can dislike a game for using the Quake 3 engine, but whatever.

I recently tried playing the first Turok on the PC again. It's a FPS and IT DOESN'T HAVE A STRAFE. Now this is something that makes the game unplayable by todays standards.

Ocarina of Time, sorry Ninty fans but this game was surpassed by many games that came before it .

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked