Your gaming guilty pleasure/unpopular opinion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Xiado:

StormShaun:
My unpopular opinion...

Well I may get killed for this, BUT I think that Twilight Princess was the best Zelda game ever made...even more then Ocarina of Time and I have played both and I infinitely prefer Twilight Princess.

I dunno it was just more fun then OoT. :S

You're not alone, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game too.

And I third the opinion. The other games are fun but Twilight Princess is the best in my book.

EL1TE 50LD1ER:
This. It obviously wasnt a very well designed game, but it had a certain je ne cais quoi, plus the map and enemies were pretty interesting and varied.

I'm sorry, but I can't really say I have a sound understanding of the French language. What does "je ne cais quoi" mean? I'm assuming it's French, anyway.

I only youtubed it, but i didn't like many Parts of ME3. The Ending is one of them, whatever one might think of it, it consists mostly of Stuff that comes from absolutely nowhere. But that's not really an unpopular opinion.
Here's one: i didn't like the last Scene with Legion. And the Geth gaining "Sentience" somehow.

The Geth where something completely alien to us in their Way of thinking and simply being.
They didn't have individual sentient beings. They where strifing to become one hyperintelligent being. "Legion" is not a sentient being, it gains Sentience by networking over a thousand Geth Programs together. "Legion" is not one being, not one Character, it is merely an extension of something that is just being built. If the Geth where to finish their "Geth Star", their planned Superstructure to which they would all upload, then we'd have one being, one intelligence.

Legion is merely a part of that, and a tiny part for that matter. If Legion ceased to exist, it would barely annoy the Geth, if they'd be capable of such a feeling.

And in ME 3, we had the Geth gainig Sentience, now every Platform is a sentient being and no more alien to us then Turians, Asari or the others. Bleh. Luckily they killed Legion off before they tacked on any Stories in which Legion has to learn what it means to be Human.

BathorysGraveland:

EL1TE 50LD1ER:
This. It obviously wasnt a very well designed game, but it had a certain je ne cais quoi, plus the map and enemies were pretty interesting and varied.

I'm sorry, but I can't really say I have a sound understanding of the French language. What does "je ne cais quoi" mean? I'm assuming it's French, anyway.

It is supposed to be je ne sais quoi, and it means "I don't know what."

Gypsie:
I never thought id have to justify my love for a Nintendo console to the world, but given the current attitude of "hard core" gamers, it seems very much like an unpopular opinion so i'll just say it;

"i love my Wii, and i love my 3DS"

I have other consoles and I enjoy playing them too (currenlty playing Witcher 2 on 360 and loving it - wish my PC wud run it!!) but that seems to be "ok" with the mob, but as soon as i mention that this generaion has yielded 3 superb mario games on wii, 2 metroids i loved, a DKC, a wonderful Kirby, 2 Legend of Zeldas, a badass Super Smash Bros Brawl, a really fun Mario Kart, and another "did i really just spend 12h doing nothing really, where has my free time gone?!" installment of Animal Crossing, not even to mention the amazing 3rd parties (ok...i'll mention some, No More Heros, Sin and Punishment 2, Conduit, any golf game, any tennis game, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, Pandora's Tower, Last Story, Little King's Story, Xenoblade Chronicles...etc) suddenly its like ive just said Hitler was an ok guy when u got to know him.

I really dont get why people rag on the wii so much *shrugs* to me thats a great amount of fun.

So far my 3DS has seen more use than my DS has for a while...tho in fairness i did play pokemon white on it...loves it.

good times. good, wholesome times.

Everyone loves the Wii. This is not an unpopular opinion. Are you kidding me? Only childish trolls rag on the Wii.

Karutomaru:

Everyone loves the Wii. This is not an unpopular opinion. Are you kidding me? Only childish trolls rag on the Wii.

It's an unpopular opinion in plenty of "gaming" communities. Those filthy casuals are ruining games by having fun in a way they decide for themselves! Now excuse me while I play Fruit Ninja Kinect.

Harumph!

My unpopular opinion for gaming? Way too much sailing in Wind Waker with nothing going on for a ridiculous amount of time. Also, Nintendo has told way too many stories in way too many different universes of Zelda and has almost never ever truly continued the story. The only exceptions being Zelda 2 and Majora's Mask, even then those games were never directly followed up in terms of story. Final Fantasy has new casts of character each game and tell a new(ish) story while Zelda so often takes the exact same 2-3 characters(Zelda, Link, Ganon) and tells essentially the same story each game. Maybe this is unpopular too, but the next Zelda game needs to be co-op.

One last thing, I believe good graphics/art can make a good game great and a really good game isn't always great unless the visuals are strong and expressive enough.

Joey Bolzenius:

One last thing, I believe good graphics/art can make a good game great and a really good game isn't always great unless the visuals are strong and expressive enough.

Just curious - you refer to graphics as to mean graphical fidelity, or just the visual style in general?

(This is not entrapment, just wanting some clarification, is all.)

ADDENDUM: Welcome to The Escapist. Please wipe your feet at the door.

I think Bioshock,portal and minecraft are all overhyped trash

No guilt pleasure, but I see some quality in NeverDead

I didn't actually mind ME3's ending. I think it could have been better, and hopefully the free DLC to "fix" it will improve it, but overall I felt satisfied.

In general, I find Indie games to be shit. Creative? Sure, but that rarely translates to fun for me. I simply require the polish offered by triple-A games.

Half Life 2 was boring. The gameplay was shoddy, the puzzles were annoying, and I found the level design to be indecipherable.

Vault101:
Unpopular opinion?

I think people are too harsh on Bioware

I also agree with this guy.

JEBWrench:

Joey Bolzenius:

Just curious - you refer to graphics as to mean graphical fidelity, or just the visual style in general?

(This is not entrapment, just wanting some clarification, is all.)

ADDENDUM: Welcome to The Escapist. Please wipe your feet at the door.

Visual style, I absolutely love the art from PS1 and N64 games because the developers used what the could of the hardware to make very interesting games. FF7 and Ocarina of Time by far convinced me of what was possible with visuals in games in terms of style. However I would like to see some games from that era remade with the graphical fidelity of a 360 or PS3 as long as the original style was kept. A good example of a good game that I consider not quite great is the more recent Call of Duty games, which I do not hate or consider terrible as sin, however the modern military settings just get boring, repetitive, and dull. Another shooter like Gears of War I love because the art style is fairly dark, but full of colossal architecture and terrain and slimy, gooey, messy monsters that look like demons. Another example of a good game that became great through its visuals was Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2! Goddarn the gameplay is solid and the visuals are very colorful and jump out in a fun manner that astounds and delights me. I love those Lumas!!

My unpopular opinions:
1. EA isn't the greatest evil like everyone makes them out to be, and Valve aren't the knights in shining armor people want them to be.
2. The first Mass Effect was the worst of the series. By far. The game-play is painfully flat (so much so that by about half-way through replaying ME1 before 3 came out, I found myself thinking "Dear GOD WON'T IT END!!!") and the story wasn't nearly as compelling as the sequels.
3. I think that cartoony graphics and bit-style graphics are superior to modern photo-realistic graphics. While realistic graphics are nice, they don't belong everywhere, and they age horribly.
4. Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings are both over-rated. Not bad, not unimportant, still but over-rated.
5. I'm distrustful of the free-to-play model for gaming. Producing a game is an expensive ordeal, and the companies need to somehow recoup their expenses. The company is making their profit somehow, and they either do so through micro-transactions necessary to keep competitive, advertisements (which I'm not fond of, and would rather pay to avoid) and/or through less obvious methods, such as spyware.
6. Minecraft is not a great game, and Notch isn't a savior of gaming like people like to say he is. Minecraft is an ok game which is good for people to play around in, but if you are looking for something more compelling it won't do anything for you.

My guilty pleasures? Co-operative multi-player, objective based multiplayer/gameplay, nintendo core titles, and N64 era platformers (Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Mario 64, DK64, etc).

Guilty pleasure? None. If I like something, then I like it. I'm not going to feel guilty because it's unpopular. That is silly.

As for an unpopular opinion, how's this: Halo 3 is one of the best games of all time. I think the ending to Half Life 2 was fucking awesome. I am done here.

Tanis:
Gundam games - They tend to just be bad/mediocre but I somehow enjoy them.

I also think FF7 is complete mediocre garbage and that the fan-base tends to be pants-on-head retarded.

Damn, you beat me to it. I'm of the same opinion, but this is possibly because I was comparing FF7 to other, and better, Final Fantasies. FF7 is... fairly bland. There's so much better.

OT: Guilty pleasure? For some reason, I like a few "bad" MMOs. You won't find me denying how bad they are, though, but for some reason I just love them. These were games such as Runescape and FusionFall.

Unpopular opinion? Well, Obsidian gets a lot of hate, so I'll just come out and say that I think Obsidian is a better developer than both BioWare and Bethesda, terrible Q&A department aside.

Guilty pleasure? Red Faction: Guerrilla. The game has plenty of issues, but I just love running around and - this is a technical term - tearing shit up.

As for an unpopular opinion?

Ishigami:
Despite beeing weaker than the first I still think Dragon Age 2 is decent.

Basically this. It has more flaws than it has environments, and yet, I still found it all very entertaining.

Also, though it has nothing to do with why I play ME, I actually enjoy driving the Mako. It's like driving a drunk rhino, but it is my drunk rhino.

Captcha: hissy fit

JEBWrench:

Karutomaru:

It's an unpopular opinion in plenty of "gaming" communities. Those filthy casuals are ruining games by having fun in a way they decide for themselves! Now excuse me while I play Fruit Ninja Kinect.

Harumph!

This conversation and ones like it are a perfect example of why this is the first forum I have ever signed up for and participated in. If you have fun, and it makes you happy, to hell with anyone telling you that means there's something wrong with your brain.

I'll spice up the OP a bit...I'd like to define "guilty pleasure" as something you would want to shut off if a certain person walked in the room, and my passion for DDR (and it was, with regular tournament competition) devolved into this with age or whatever happened. I'll be the first to mention the forced laughing from FFX...aggghhh.

Captcha: "fool's paradise" - All the "gaming" forums I couldn't bring myself to be a part of.

Final Fantasy X-2 is my favorite game of all time.

I.. don't hate my Kinect.

It's an annoying gimicky peice of shit, my brain is violently shouting into my ear. And it's just a mere, poor attempt to catch up to the Wii, which is shit, too! It continue to screech, like a fat kid sliding across a middle-school recently-mopped floor.

But I just can't take myself away from kicking a cyborg mutant into a flesh-ripping circular-horizontal saw-blade, and then ducking under it. Or sword-fighting Captain Hook. Or something else dumb and childish, yet mentally endearing. Or just stupid, and I guess I'm stupid, so we're on the same wave-link, I guess.

I didn't like KOTOR very much. I didn't think it was actively a bad game or anything, but whenever I think back on it all I can remember is the shit that drove me nuts. The crap engine, the bizarre plot contrivances, the ghastly looping alien voice acting. I actually preferred TOR.

YES I SAID IT. I PREFERRED TOR.

*flees*

Guilty Pleasure... probably making up storylines in fighting games or wrestling games with character customization options.
Thankfully my guilty pleasure seems to be a shared one, at least in wrestling games since Smackdown Vs RAW added a story creator mode in 2010. I was hesitant to label this as a guilty pleasure, but then I remembered it's essentially the same as playing make believe with a bunch of action figures... which I totally don't do anymore.

Unpopular opinion? I like Too Human. So much so that it's among my favorite Xbox 360 games. The popular opinion being that it absolutely sucks.

I like the mass effect 3 ending. THERE, I SAID IT.

Guilty pleasure? Oblivion. I loved that game. I agree that the main quest wasn't very original, and it lacked a consistent aesthetic, but over all I just loved existing in a little insular world, that was so detailed and complete that the player could go anywhere, open any door, wear any armour. I forgave it a lot because I just had so much fun fucking about and hardcore roleplaying in Cyrodil.

Unpopular opinion? I loved Mass Effect 3, including the ending. Though to be honest, I'm starting to believe that the Retake Mass Effect crowd are really quite a small, but very vocal, minority whithin the Mass Effect community.

Guilty pleasure - Drakengard. I LOVE that game, despite it's repetitive battle system. Catharsis at it's finest, in my book.

Unpopular opinions? Probably that League of Legends is overrated and the fanbase is a bunch of asses.

Unpopular opinion... Quite honestly when I played through the Half-life games that came in the Orange Box I barely even remember them they were so boring. Couple puzzles were fun to solve but the combat, story, driving sections, everything else was like a worse Halo.

I always liked the old Phantom Menace playstation game. Especially the RPG/adventure-ish bits. Definitely my guilty pleasure.

As for my unpopular opinion. I generally think FFVIII is one of the most misunderstood video games out there. It was around the time that Square was going through a postmodern phrase in games like Xenogears and Chrono Cross, and it's attempts in FFVIII at a causally non-linear narrative have always interested me.

EDIT: Scratch that, thought of a worthier Unpopular Opinion: Bioshock. Easily the most overrated game of this generation IMO. I've never liked the way Irrational force you to use the same resources to choose between multiple systems (like upgrades/weapons/powers) meaning that it's possible to put all you're points into something that isn't helpful whilst leaving something else neglected. Do you get a bunch of weapons or upgrade the one you're used to? The choices you mark aren't dynamic and means everything just cancels everything else out. I hated it in System Shock 2 (and I'm a big fan of SS1) and I hated it in Bioshock. There's also people's bizarre love of it's stock story and cliche plot-twist. Anybody who'd played Deus Ex had to shake their head in disbelief at such a vastly inferior game, taking the credit that should have belonged to it. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Unpopular Opinion: I find that most gamers are spineless sheep who are willing to complain a lot but do very little (in their power) to actually move towards the change they want. It's very difficult to not hate the audience of successful games that are moving gaming in (in my opinion) the wrong direction, or equally bad, into further stagnation.

It's a microcosm of my view on politics, incidentally...maybe I'm just not terribly original. :|

Guilty Pleasure: I actually liked Other M's gameplay, but absolutely hated the story.
It's somewhat hypocritical of me, because I'm a gameplay mechanics kind of guy. Yet, this was one instance where I could not let the mechanics overshadow the raping of Samus's character (who isn't all that deep to begin with, lets face it).

Melopahn:
Hmm... Guilty pleasure, I don't feel guilty about anything I like to play.

Unpopular opinion, oh so many; Diablo 3 is a terrible game (I literally stopped playing after 2 hours cause it was just boring), Every franchised game is awful now. Lets flat say Blizzard is pretty much just awful.
Mass Effect 3 was bad and fan boys couldn't handle it.
Halo 4 is probably going to be terrible considering it hasn't expanded in any way for years.
God of War 4 is in the same boat.
FF7 is one of the worst Final fantasies if it wasn't for 13, it would be.
Assassins Creed is awful I can't believe they made another after the first one.
Call of Duty is also very awful, never changes yet dudes shell out 60 dollars every year for a new one.
Ocarina of time isn't even in the top 5 Zelda games.
Resident evil should not be making a number 6, should have stopped at 4.
Kingdom hearts should stop making games as well.
JRPG's haven't changed in 10 years and it needs to be fixed.

Damn....Just Damn. No comment

Guilty pleasure:
I like trains (meaning I actually think the campaigns in Call of duty are fun)

Unpopular Opinion(s):
Gears of war 3 was a fun game ( although lacking in story)
Never saw what the big deal for Half life was
Fans are being bit too hard on Bioware
Halo has one of the most interesting universe (lore) in gaming

Unpopular Opinion: Always online DRM is not a bad thing and people should stop bitching about it. Also, ME3 was a fully functional product and returning it for a refund is unjustified and lowers you to the same level as a pirate, someone who is willing to play a product but is not ok with paying for it.

Guilty Pleasure? Rise of Nations/Rise of Legends.

Guilty pleasure: Grinding for hours in Disgaea's item worlds. I don't know what's wrong with me. :<

Unpopular opinions: Sonic Unleashed was super fun.
Fallout 3 is superior to New Vegas, mainly because of the atmosphere.

Guilty pleasure? Umm... Viva Pinata games I guess...

As for the unpopular opinion, I don't think I have any, except for the games that everyone else loves but I hate, like Left 4 Dead and Gears of War.

Guilty Pleasure: Shitting all over AAA games for any possible reason to anyone that will listen because seriously fuck Call of Duty.

Unpopular Opinion: EVE Online is fun.

I don't really have any guilty pleasures.

As for an unpopular opinion, I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy 13. I haven't played 13-2 yet because I don't approve of the way they've been handling their DLC, but yeah, I enjoyed FF13.

Guilty Pleasure: Bulletstorm, the CoD games.

Unpopular Opinions: I have no problem with: DLC, sequels, remakes/reboots, Western studios taking over Japanese franchises, etc.

I liked Kotor 2 better than Kotor 1, and am even willing to say the characters (not just Kreia) were simply more interesting.
I'm also ok with sacrificing gameplay for story. I'm also not ok with Saints Row 3. After the second game, it was just a bitter disapointment.
I liked GTA IV and the expansions (that probably has to do a bit with the PC and the mods that made driving actually enjoyable).
Also, GTA San Andreas is the best game of all time. Second place is Planescape: Torment.
Kill me if you must.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked