Why Do YOU Buy Used?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

For me it's the 'xtreme edition 2.0' crap that comes out a year later with.

It's games like TES4:O - 5th Anniversary Edition for the PS3 that are STILL broken and lack DLC that was put on other consoles.

It's games like Fallout 3 that ain't NEAR worth the 60USD they're asking for.

For me, it's because there is literally no other way to get Gamecube games.

Cheaper. It's that simple.

I can buy a brand new high-profile PS3 game for $110. (Australia. Shut up.)

Or I can wait a few months and buy it for $70. (Seriously, stop laughing.)

Or I can wait a few months, trade in some old games and get it for $30.

I make no apologies for saving money. Fuck the developers and publishers. If they want my day-one new game money they can either lower prices or make games that are really worth those ridiculous prices.

Because used games cost less?

New games are too expensive.

The used games argument may be the single most stupid thing I have ever heard. There is no argument to be had.

Tanis:

It's games like Fallout 3 that ain't NEAR worth the 60USD they're asking for.

Objection! :3

And I agree, it's simply because it's cheaper. Used games and the bargain-bucket is where I make most of my finds.

Usually it's cheaper. I don't usually tend to buy games on-release anyway, I end up picking them up a couple of years later because they're supposed to be pretty good. For example, I picked up Mass Effect a couple of weeks ago for 7.

Tanis:
For me it's the 'xtreme edition 2.0' crap that comes out a year later with.

Grr, capcom. Their games are fun, but their business practice is so annoying. They come out with the newest street fighter game, then they come out with the super version, the turbo version, and keep on going >:(

OT: Cheaper. I don't have a whole lot of money. I can't blame game devs trying to cut down on it though, and if I know I'll love the game and I want to give to the devs, I'll buy it new.

I only buy used if the used copy is either extremely cheap compared to the new copy, or buying a used copy is pretty much the only way to get the game.

Zhukov:

I make no apologies for saving money. Fuck the developers and publishers. If they want my day-one new game money they can either lower prices or make games that are really worth those ridiculous prices.

Jesus, Aussie prices blow my mind. It's a miracle anyone even buys games over there.

I buy used games when I'm doubtful about the quality. I don't like gambling $60 bucks on a game. If I like it, I'll buy the next one the developer puts out new.

I also buy used when I want to check out a game, but don't want to support the publisher - e.g., anything EA puts out.

Because it's either cheaper or that game is a few years old which they don't have it in mint condition (assuming if it's at a lower price).

To not send money to EA.
Game isn't available anymore.
Zellers forgot to drop the price even after 2 years.
Game doesn't seem worth the full amount.

I usually try to buy some games on sale or after they've been discounted, but I go used when I don't have a choice, or for EA games.

Used games at Gamestop are the best way to find the rarer and older ones stores forget to stock, like You Don't Know Jack and Sengoku Basara.

Well when it happens it is because of a few reasons:
- no sensible shops selling the game
- no sensible prices
- spur of the moment

And I never ever buy/sell used games in retail shops because they have the worst prices... in the world.

I don't buy a lot of used games but when I do it's usually for 2 reasons

1)I can't find a new copy(usually happens with older/less popular titles)
2)There's a significant price difference between new and used

Because they are cheaper that way

I usually do it just when I'm not going to spend a lot of time with the game (play the campaign and be done with it). Although I will be much more likely to buy new, usually pre-order, if I have a good reason to. I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed 3 and Borderlands 2 because of all the stuff they come with. That makes it worth it to buy new. ARE YOU SEEING THIS, PUBLISHERS? No, of course you're not.

Because they are cheaper. :3

Because this allows me to lift the fingerprints of the previous owners off the box (and sometimes the disc) and frame them for my crimes.

Because the game is 5 years old and the new copy still costs $30 while the used one is $3. Silly publishers.

I buy used when the game is old enough that I can't find new copies and I want it immediately instead of ordering on Amazon.

New games are a lot harder to find for $20 and under than older games. Not to mention next to impossible to find any new last gen games at a store.

Price, it's much cheaper, and unless it's a small title I'm not gonna feel bad about the perceived lost sale from the publisher...

Because often the game is a B- disguised as a AAA and I don't feel like getting the shaft unless I'm drunk and it's Saint Patty's day.

Cheaper or because I don't want to support the publisher.

Not sure why you'd expect people to say anything other than "because it's cheaper". XD

It's not like the industry exists just to be malicious. It exists because someone got the bright idea to sell what amounts to essentially the same product for less. It might have a little "mileage" on it and might not have everything, but it's the same game and it's been rare that I've had any trouble with a used game I bought (though it does happen).

Zhukov:

Goodness! I think the $60 price tag here in the States is too high as it is for most games. But the even more excessive price ranges in other countries never ceases to amaze me.

Developers and publishers truly have no idea what their products are worth, so they overprice the crap out of them and then complain when we go shopping for the same product elsewhere?

I thought that was how capitalism was supposed to work. Huh.

if i hate the publisher they didn't get money
unless something that takes me forever to be done i just go through games too fast and i couldn't afford enough new games

Because I am POOR. :D

I usually only buy 1 or 2 brand new games a year. I just cant afford it otherwise.

Two reasons: because I'm not rich, and because it's the best way to find older games.

Games that I want when they come out: 60$
Games that I want a year later: 50%-80% off, unless Bethesda, Activision, EA or Ubi in some cases.
Games that are time tested-classics and have brought joy to millions for five years or more: <10$ and number in the hundreds.

Why else?

Factors that influence my decisions:
-Demos (if you can't take the time to slap together a 1-hour demo for your precious baby, I am not buying it this year)
-hype (guaranteed tripe)
-reviews (user reviews, not those who get paid tons of money to give 10/10 to Modern Warfare 3).

Cheaper more games in the long run, can't find everything new, gamestop in Ireland are extortionate sometimes.
It was a game I picked up on a whim as it was cheaper or wanted but was unwilling to pay full price due to length/unsure of game but still wanted it.

Because they're cheaper... why else? When you've got two ways to purchase exactly the same thing (and this statement only applies when they are exactly the same), and one is cheaper than the other, you'd pretty much have to be an idiot to do it the more expensive way. I'm both amazed and appalled at the success companies have had convincing us that buying used is somehow evil.

No reason other than how much cheaper it is. Unless I absolutely must have the game as soon as possible, I see no reason to spend €50-60, when I can just wait a few months and get it for €10-20.

When I want to play CoD without feeling like I am rewarding them for doing what I don't like.

And when it's cheaper. However I usually import games if I want lower prices. 60 euro is just too much.

CrossLOPER:
-reviews (user reviews, not those who get paid tons of money to give 10/10 to Modern Warfare 3).

I don't have a gripe with the 10/10, my problem is that every review was basically the same and said nothing new.

They were supposed to sell me the game and justify the 10/10, not just say "Yeah, it's the same thing as last year, enjoy the ride in the rollercoaster, multiplayer has some shit you probably already know about, buy it."

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked