You know, I still like a lot new games, but...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

SajuukKhar:

I would be happy with a 4 weapon limit +1 melee button.

Seriously like, we dont need the 15 guns we had in doom era games but we NEED more then two.

Two weapon limits, and regn health murder tactics in online FPS. It just becomes a run in, shoot, die, reload cycle.

I love the Max Payne 3 system where you can have two guns and a third large one that is held in hand. It's the best I've seen in a long time.

Ed130:

Shoggoth2588:

They repeated some of those faces... I think...

Starkiller, Default Shepard, Nico Bellic, Red-Faction Guerrilla guy (Mason?) and, Upper-Left corner guy look virtually identical to me. Lower-Left corner guy looks like Christian Bale to me and, Frank West (in that pic) looks a lot like the four guys I mentioned above (only with a more bulbous nose)

leet_x1337:

Shoggoth2588:
The only time I liked it was in Dark Void, where you play as Atton Rand.

I've heard very mixed things about Dark Void. Is the game itself any good? At least for the $10 it costs on Steam?

I think I got my copy for $20...possibly $15...it was a physical copy and I consider it to have been worth it. I would say $10 for a digital copy would be worth it too. It's no Crimson Skies but it seemed like that's what they were trying to go for. It isn't nearly as long as CS though.

MiracleOfSound:

I am not fond of the trend for multiplayer being shoved into everything and I am especially not fond of this new idea of tying it into the single player.

Oh God. [NONE ENDING RELATED MASS EFFECT 3 GRIPE]

Fortunately, this is the only game I've played thus far with that sort of thing integrated, but I take a few days of no gaming to revise, and I come back and see my galactic readiness has gone to fuck. So you're saying everyone in the universe is that freaking useless that only when I bother to do something do we see any improvement?

Any game that gives the the feeling that I have to play it, making it seem like work rather than play instantly puts me off. Hence why I can never stick to any form of MMO.

leet_x1337:

Shoggoth2588:
The only time I liked it was in Dark Void, where you play as Atton Rand.

I've heard very mixed things about Dark Void. Is the game itself any good? At least for the $10 it costs on Steam?

Hm... that's a tough question, really. I would hesitate to say it's not worth $10, simply because the jet-pack and associated rag-doll physics are pretty hilarious, and the shooting is at least functional, but it's... a pretty forgettable game, overall. To paraphrase Yahtzee a bit, it's not really so much that the game is bad, but it's blatantly obvious how much potential the game had and all of it just fades away because the developers either ran out of time, money, or both.

OT: I actually agree with a fair amount of the things already mentioned. Motion Blur is ridiculous, I turn it off or turn it radically far down in any game that lets me, and... well, here.

Beautiful End:
-I hate it when games incite you to create your own character (Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, any other Western RPG, etc.) and you spend hours thinking it looks awesome and then you start playing and realize it looks like a monkey's butt.
Annex: I hate the fact that no matter how customizable your character's physical traits are, the graphics still don't make me think this would be a real person. I mean, I don't want my character to come out of the screen and gimme a kiss or something. And I know it depends on the engine and cutscene limitations and all. But it just bugs me that I'm destined to customize my character so that he ends up looking like a butt face.

To expand on this even further, games like Demon's Souls that have intricate character creation systems... and then when you're in the game your character is completely covered by armor anyway, and you can't see a centimeter of skin.

-PS3 only, I guess: I hate the fact that whenever I'm gonna save my progress, it immediately assumes I want a separate file from the one I've been using throughout the game. MGS4 did that a lot and I actually have at least 5 saved files, all of them are the same story and all but the game never assumed maybe, just maybe, I DO want to overwrite my old file by default!

Such a little thing, but so annoying sometimes. I've been noticing it a lot while playing Prototype 2, actually. Every time I go to save I need to switch to the save file that's already there, then confirm I want to overwrite it. I get it, you don't want people accidentally erasing things if they happen to have two play-throughs or if multiple people might be using the same system, but sheesh.

-PS3 only #2: UPDATES! Really?! I have 30 minutes to play before going to work and I suddenly need yet ANOTHER update that will take around...oh, 28 minutes. Oh, and you can't do anything else while it updates.

Eh... this one has frustrated me every now and then, but it's usually not something I'm a stickler about. Plus, I hardly ever actually connect my PS3 to the internet and most of the time, a game that "requires" new firmware or something will come with the update anyway.

-I hate that you can't be a good sniper because real-motion. I know this can be turned off for some games. But those who force you to either snipe fast or take the wind into consideration or your breathing rate or whatever just drive me nuts. Just let me kill the guy with one simple shot and make me feel empowered, dammit!

Yeah... I'm a pretty bad sniper in most games to begin with, tracking and leading targets has always been a problem for me, and I hate it when they put in the fun little scope-wibble-wobble-bounce too while you're zoomed in. Ugh. Somewhat ironically though, I've never really minded it in the Metal Gear Solid games...

-Shaky camera. Must we have it for every single action cutscene? I can't really tell what's going on! Curse you, Blair Witch!

I'm not sure I've noticed this one a whole lot, so I can't really complain about that.

-Teams that don't know there is no I in Team. I've been playing Gotham City Impostors a lot lately and the few times our team sticks together, we kick major butt. But when I get a team that scatters or steals your kill or run away from you then that's a sad day. Because we lose. Horribly. And humiliatingly.

Referring to multi-player? I'd agree. It's pretty likely in WoW that if you try to do something by yourself, therefore getting grouped with random people you've probably never seen and will likely never run into again, everyone on your team is going to try and be a one-man army while the opposing side will team up and steamroll you to a perfect victory.

-It's been said before but: Unskippable cutscenes. I've died 5 times and I've had to watch the same cutscene 5 times. Oh, don't worry. I'm sure each time I watch that cutscene, I love it even more than the last time.

To expand on this as well, the one thing that really frustrates me about the Metal Gear Solid games is that the cut-scenes, which probably average something like ten minutes each, are not pausable. You can skip them, sure, but there's no option to pause. Which is just... such a huge oversight.

-Also said before: Dumb tutorials, especially those who won't let you advance until you "press X to attack" and "Use your analog stick to look around". Also, those tutorials that try to explain every single element of the game while playing. That's good and all but I probably could have figured out on my own that X lets you jump and Start pauses the game and brings up the menu. Egoraptor can explain this better than me. This is why I hated the latest Ratchet and Clank game, as much as I love that saga.
Corollary: Tutorials that explain what you need to do either very vaguely or for only 3 seconds. Up until today, I never figured out how to make charcoal on Minecraft because of this. Yeah, I'm too lazy to google it.

I get why they include tutorials, but yeah, they can be pretty frustrating to people who have been playing video games for years. And then you get a game like Minecraft, where literally nothing is explained to you despite the obscure, almost adventure-game logic behind a lot of the ways you can combine things.

-Tiny font. Seriously, developers. There are still people out there with 32 in. SDTVs out there. Believe me, it's not a myth. We also like to play games, by the way. Also, not a rumor.

Yeah, Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 suffered from that. So did Dragon Age: Origins. And Prototype. I could probably think up a few more if I wanted. Annoying as hell.

"Oh, you're carrying 299 items? That's fine, you are free to climb the highest mountain and brawl the most ferocious dragon. What's that? You wanna pick up that feather? But that would mean you'd have 300 items. Nope, no can do, sir. You gotta get rid of something because clearly you can't carry all that stuff. That's nonsense and unrealistic. Pfffbh."

Inventory management has always been a balls-mechanic in my mind. Especially when people try to use it as a way to describe how "pure" RPGs used to be back in the day. No, inventory management isn't good game design. It's not fun, it's not engaging, it's not even interesting. Going from slaying dragons and saving princesses to needing to organize a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet isn't the type of pace-change that I appreciate.

The lack of old school cheat codes. I don't cheat in my games, but after you've finished the game, having those cheat codes added a little charm :p For example, I remember in the original Tench on PS1 you could enter the Debug Mode, which let you play around with the game :D. Now the only ones to do that are rockstar games I think. Thank god for pc games,where you can at least mod.

Also, non related. I'm planning on doing a complete overhaul on my pc. I'm talking about a 900 euro's budget. Someone on the escapist however advised me to wait untill the next gen consoles are out. Something to do with new cards that would use new architecture and whatnot. Should I take his advice ? Because I'm aching for a new pc.

Karutomaru:
Motion blur? I'm sorry, but I can't think of a single game in my huge library that has motion blur.

I mostly only see it in racing games and I think Mass Effect had it for sprinting, it is annoying when it is noticeably over done and the screen becomes a miss of lines but some motion blur is needed CG tends to looks off with out it.

Overly dark games, or games with a limited color palette, I like to be able to see the the enemies I'm shooting at.

Unskippable cutscenes

Retro graphics being passed of as artsy.

Games with to many confirmation screens.

shrekfan246:

Inventory management has always been a balls-mechanic in my mind. Especially when people try to use it as a way to describe how "pure" RPGs used to be back in the day. No, inventory management isn't good game design. It's not fun, it's not engaging, it's not even interesting. Going from slaying dragons and saving princesses to needing to organize a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet isn't the type of pace-change that I appreciate.

It works in games like Resident Evil where your limited bullet supply forces tactics but games like Skyrim the weight limit has no point your main gear will end up weighing around 150 which any character can carry, so there's no way for weight limit to change combat, the only thing it does is cause you to reenter the empty dungeons you just cleared so you can get that last bit of loot, that's not fun.

Shoggoth2588:

I honestly don't like resorting to that meme but it's so painfully true. The only time I liked it was in Dark Void, where you play as Atton Rand.

I didn't play Dark Void, but was Atton Rand of KoTOR II fame seriously in that? I may have to actually play it, if thats the case...

Crono1973:
Film Grain.

Who really wants their HD game to look grainy?

God yes. It drives me crazy. I didn't buy a HD game only to have it look like I'm playing it on a fat old CRT, because some designer though it would be 'arty'.

woodaba:

Shoggoth2588:

I honestly don't like resorting to that meme but it's so painfully true. The only time I liked it was in Dark Void, where you play as Atton Rand.

I didn't play Dark Void, but was Atton Rand of KoTOR II fame seriously in that? I may have to actually play it, if thats the case...

Not officially but just look at the character models:

imageimage

I think they have the same voice actor too but I may be wrong about that.

The increased focus on story when a majority of game writers have no clue how to write... or are lazy hack writers at best...

hand holding/cinematic spectacle fests

moral choice systems have been done to death and in nearly all cases in ways that are broken or flat out uninteresting

aiming down sights in first person shooters. it's just one additional unnecessary action you're required to do before bullet leaves gun. and it tends to happen in such a way as to hinder your ability to aim and move anyway.

vehicle sections in games where vehicle sections just don't belong (mako *cough* *cough*). same goes for stealth challenges in games where stealth challenges don't belong (witcher 2 *cough*)

running along rooftops open world games. Arkham City already did it right, everyone else can stop now.

Shoggoth2588:

I think they have the same voice actor too but I may be wrong about that.

Nah, Nolan North was the voice of Dark Void guy. Also known as Demond Miles, Nathan Drake, and "that guy who has been in every video game released since 2005". KotOR II was just a tiny tad before he really exploded in popularity as a voice actor.

It has to be minor stuff? Because I'd love to rant about things like linearity, lack of meaningful challenge, focus on graphics, wanting to be slightly interactive movies, me-too mentality, almost never having any decent writing whatsoever and still getting praised to fuck for it, and general asshattery, that make modern gaming slightly more intolerable with every passing day. I'd be serious too. I still like some new games though!

But if it has to be minor, then yeah, I agree with the font thing. Although that's not really minor either. It's a general and rage-inducing oversight that can make a lot of games near unplayable. I couldn't play Dragon Age: Origins on my TV-set, there was no way I could read any of that without sitting with my face to the screen and bursting in migraines after five minutes. Had to hook up the Xbox to my computer screen, which isn't anything special, but which seems to work wonderfully with it. Dito with Borderlands, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, you name anything. Minor? Fuck you, developers.

And film grain is just stupid. But as long as you can turn that shit off, then whatevs, you know.

Oh yeah, I know a good one! Nolan frickety North! I don't mean to dump on his talents but he's everywhere. He's everyone in everything. Just stop it, ok. For once. Please.

Intro sequences that are great the first time you play a game,
but that make you hesitate to make a new character because you dont want to do it again.
-_- im looking at you Skyrim, and borderlands, and a few others that i dont play anymore.

I hate 2 things...

1) Making you reach watch a short 5 second scene in which your character turns around, or something, right before a difficult area because if you die over and over it really starts grinding on my patience...

2) Making the protagonist reach out in death animations because I don't want to have to watch that over long animation every time I die. (looking at you BF3)

Karutomaru:

MiracleOfSound:

Karutomaru:
Motion blur? I'm sorry, but I can't think of a single game in my huge library that has motion blur.

Is your entire library on a Gameboy?

No. It's on the Wii, PC, Nintendo DS, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, and the Nintendo 3DS.

Shit son.

Expand your horizons.

I agree with people that said unskippable cut scenes, weapon limits, lazily designed Caucasian protagonists,

and this insipid need to make everything "call of duty-esque" by saturating the market with military shooters and tacked on multiplayer modes.

Lt._nefarious:

1) Making you reach watch a short 5 second scene in which your character turns around, or something, right before a difficult area because if you die over and over it really starts grinding on my patience...

The fucking elevator and dialogue sequence that happens right before the krogon boss in Mass Effect 1, on the planet where you rescue Liara was one of the most traumatizing things I've ever experienced.

"surrender... or don't, that'd be more fun"

"Thanks for lowering those energy fields."

"Thanks for " YES I KNOW FIGHT ME NOW!

Lt._nefarious:
I hate 2 things...

in that case, matriarch Benezia's fight in Mass Effect would be hell for you on hardcore, let alone insanity.(i should know... played that part at least 10 times on HC till i got her)

OT: ummm... AAA games getting progressively worse? that's a good answer, right? i often find myself looking for new indie games, or games from the past, that i overlooked these days..

oh yeah... shoving in multiplayer for the sake of multiplayer (i'm looking at you EA)

Save points before unskippable cutscenes or conversations that lead straight into a fight (usually a boss fight). Just... why? Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

Also anything that prolongs your death unnecessarily. Like in Mass Effect 1 where every time you die you have to watch the camera zooming out from Shep's corpse/the Mako, rotating slowly while that infuriating music plays. Grrrrr >.<

Crono1973:
Film Grain.

Who really wants their HD game to look grainy?

I do. I was rather disappointed they removed it in mass Effect 3...

octafish:
Achievements. Fine, I get that some people, soft headed fools mostly, seem to like them.

Well isn't that adorable.

Regenerating Health - I didn't mind the shield and health in Halo 1, but in a "realistic" shooter it makes no sense.
Weapon Limits - 2 is not enough
Unskippable Cutscenes
Loading Screens (I like how Max Payne 3 did it, but show a progress bar at least)

The red screen I can forgive slightly due to the minimal HUD in a lot of games, but I think just the edges glowing red would be enough. And in a third-person game, the character could limp or walk slower (Like in Resident Evil 2) or have the type of HUD from Dead Space where they have the health bar on their back.

Probably motion blur, regenerating health and freaking multiplayer down our throuats

Scripted sections that have your character fall back or do something else that would be too short for a full cutscene. Examples are in Halo 3, Every COD since 4, and slightly ODST. When the character looks around and moves on his/her own, it feels like the game taking the controller out of my hand and saying "It's okay, I'll do it for you", and that really irks me.

I hate everything to do with 3D. Not because I think it distracts from more important elements, gives me a headache, or anything along those lines. No, I hate it out of pure spite.

I can and never will be able to see this mythical thing you call 3D games/television/pictures. To me whenever other people start talking about it (in either a positive or negative way) its like everyone is talking about dragons (or your mythical creature of choice). Its something I can imagine, rationalize how it might work, and so forth. However no matter how hard I look I'm never going to be able to see the damn thing.

So screw you 3D games.

For more information follow the link from the escapist series ENN and listen to the completely unbiased and wonderful report by Jeremy Petter. The part begins around 1:30 if you want to skip through.

Aside from the many great bullets already mentioned, I will add short animations for doing ingame things that you have to do all the time but are unskippable. Examples: In RDR when you kill a few bears and you want to skin them and they game makes you watch the *slice slice slice**pause**slice slice slice**pause**slice slice slice* for every single one. Or games with switch puzzles or something and every time you hit a switch, you have to watch the bridge or the door or whatever slowly move.

Also games with mission logs or glossaries or something that put in some flashing indicator that you have learned something new. I don't want half my menu flashing at me. Mass Effect was smart in that they put in a "mark everything as read" button to clear that crap, but in Final Fantasy XIII-2, the flashing started every time you got a fragment, and you had to go through five menus for each fragment to clear the damn exclamation marks.

octafish:
Achievements. Fine, I get that some people, soft headed fools mostly, seem to like them. I don't, how about letting me turn that shit off in the options ok?

I... what? Turn them off in the options? Achievements are by their very nature optional, unless they're the story achievements that you unlock simply by progressing through the game. And "soft headed fools?" Really? For enjoying side challenges?

SajuukKhar:
I am still surprised that Half Life 2 manages to have better FPS mechanics then 90% of shooters released in the last 8 years.

I was pissed when they showed the bioshock 3 gameplay and it had a fing two weapon limit, the first one didn't, WHY did they change it? WWWWHHHHYYYY?

I fully agree about Half Life 2. Some people don't understand that this is the reason why a lot of us are so rabid about Half Life 3/HL2: Ep. 3 being released. It was awesome and we want more of that.

As far as Bioshock Infinite, there is actually a very good reason why they went with the two weapon system. Ken Levine actually discussed it in-depth as many people were confused about this choice. Basically, the problem he and Irrational noticed while watching gameplay of Bioshock, was that players were falling victim to Complacent Gaming Syndrome. (Please don't kill me for linking to tvtropes.) Basically they found that when the player character had access to all the weapons and ammunition types, players would upgrade one weapon and use that almost exclusively for the rest of the game, while the devs intended for gamers to get creative with weapon and plasmid use.

Irrational changed this to make it so the players will have to think on their feet regarding the weapons they have available in the environment. Even the plasmids now have limited usage before they're just gone, so you'll have to be judicious with their use depending on the situation at hand. Maybe I'm biased because I'm practically drooling in anticipation over this game, but I think it'll work in this particular scenario.

I think that the worst recent implementation of the two-weapon system might be Duke Nukem Forever. Remember how cool Duke 3D was? You had your staple weapons like the shotgun, chaingun and rocket launcher, but you also had fun situational weapons like the shrink and freeze ray. These were impractical to use en-mass, but it was great to whip it out now and again to squash or shatter a baddie. In DNF, if you want to use a fun weapon, you're forced to abandon one of your more practical ones. Duke should be able to carry 50 guns if he wants to because, well, he's Duke. Even the PC version expanding it to four weapons didn't help with the game's un-Duke-y feel. (Oh, and Captain Obvious is telling me it kinda sucked anyway.)

I like how Borderlands does it. You can only equip 2-4 weapons depending on your level, but you can carry a shitload of them and swap them out as necessary.

Oh, and I can't stand waist high barriers that keep me in the playing area. I understand that developers can't make infinite levels, but when the "wall" is a concrete divider that's not even as tall as my character, and I know that in real life I could easily hop over the thing, it feels like bullshit and annoys me quite a bit.

This is the stupidest thing ever, but I hate when games throw me in dark places for no good reason. Not because I'm afraid of the dark, but because I just can't fucking navigate when the game does that. This goes double for when the dark area in question looks homogeneous. Very few things in video games cause me to flip my shit in quite the same way.

Multiplayer when it really isn't necessary.
Cod clones

Dethenger:

octafish:
Achievements. Fine, I get that some people, soft headed fools mostly, seem to like them. I don't, how about letting me turn that shit off in the options ok?

I... what? Turn them off in the options? Achievements are by their very nature optional, unless they're the story achievements that you unlock simply by progressing through the game. And "soft headed fools?" Really? For enjoying side challenges?

I don't care if they are there or not, just stop telling me about them. They are annoying, distracting, and immersion killers.

I hate motion blur, unskippable cutscenes, and more

I know it looks cool but it's not like every single video game character in existance wears/has a camera on them.

TLS14:

White Lightning:
That most games today have the screen get either
A) Red
B) Dark
C) Covered in splashes of red Kool-aid or
D) All of the above

When you're about to die.

Oh god. That Kool-Aid part made me spit my Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard. Props to you, sir.

Beautiful End:
-Tiny font. Seriously, developers. There are still people out there with 32 in. SDTVs out there. Believe me, it's not a myth.

Have you played Prototype? The menu font's unreadable even on an HDTV. Yeah, it's tiny, which should be corrected when playing in an HD resolution, but it's made even worse because it's DARK RED TEXT ON A FUCKING BLACK BACKGROUND. Seriously, if I wasn't playing on an HDTV that was 2 feet from my face, I would barely be able to read that shit. I've played in SD on a 50 inch TV at one point, too. It really is as bad as I'm making it out to be.

OT: I also hate games like CoD, not only for their obvious health regen or weapon limit problems, but also for a zoomed sniper rifle swaying naturally unless you steady it using L3 or some shit. There are a number of problems with this:

First, I'm a heavy sniper rifle user in most FPS games I play, including some classic FPSs. I need pinpoint aim with that thing if the game is fast paced like Unreal Tournament (thankfully, UT has never actually used this mechanic). Yeah, no-scoping works just fine, but at long range it becomes extremely ineffective for a one-hit kill solution.

Second, L3 is a bitch to press if I'm playing a console FPS like CoD. I remember one time when I played against my brother in Black Ops, and he wrecked my shit with the sniper rifle while I had trouble holding down L3 while lining up my shot. It just seems so unnatural and counter-intuitive to have to hold down a stick/button that doesn't see much use in the first place.

FFFFF-- well, I guess I'll never play Prototype. :l

Yeah, I recall Dragon Age doing that to me. The first offender was Modnation Racers. I always thought it was the game's fault (And it kinda is), but then I realized it happened with every game. I mean, we're not asking for font size 48 in Helvetica. Just something more legible.

And that sniper rifle stabilizer with L3? Not even. I know which one you're talking about. I remember trying that and then my finger would slip because I was trying to both press L3 and aim at the guy's head. So when my finger slid off, I'd end up shooting at the sky, over and over again.

octafish:

Dethenger:

octafish:

I don't care if they are there or not, just stop telling me about them. They are annoying, distracting, and immersion killers.

Ehh...I kinda agree with this. I get achievements are optional and all by default. But they're supposed to be like some sort of side quests. You finished the game? Did you collect all pieces of that mysterious puzzle? No? Well, you could do that too. You finished that? How about starting the game again on a higher difficulty? It could be quite the challenge.
I get all that. But I personally dislike is when you get trophies for...I don't know, turning on the console? Watching a cutscene? Jumping? How is that challenging? How is that a reward? I didn't even do anything special yet.

The perfect achievement/trophy would only pop up when you do something amazing, something you wouldn't normally do, something that perhaps the game doesn't require you to do but you went out of your league in order to accomplish it. When you ACHIEVE a challenge, like he said.
The other day, I was playing Gotham City Impostors and I killed like 10 people in a row without dying the entire match. I had never done that before. I was proud. I was even more happy when I got a trophy for it. That is what I wanna see. I don't want games to patronize me by just giving achievements/trophies away. I want to feel challenged.

thejackyl:
Loading Screens (I like how Max Payne 3 did it, but show a progress bar at least)

Yeah, this is very minimal but I'd like to see that too. I've had games that usually take a moderate amount of time to load/save. When said game freezes for whatever reason, I can't tell if it's loading or not...and should I turn it off right now? Or wait? Because, you know, you can't turn it off while it's saving? But did it stop saving already or what? if it had a bar, at least I could tell it's either done saving or loading reaaaaaally slow. Then I could either be more patient or reset the game.

Yeah, great point.

Dumbing down, hand holding (you could make another list from these 2 alone), graphics over gameplay, QTEs, over use of cinematics, choices without true consequences, lack of challenge, EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENTS..

Anthraxus:
Dumbing down, hand holding (you could make another list from these 2 alone), graphics over gameplay, QTEs, over use of cinematics, choices without true consequences, lack of challenge, EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENTS..

Next time you post in a thread, can you read the OP and actually make a post related to the discussion at hand? Common courtesy and all that? kthnxbai

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked