Dragon Age: Origins is so boring

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Did anyone else get this feeling?
I'm 9 hours in and feel I have acomplished nothing so far, and am getting bored out of my skull.
The combat is pretty much a joke at this point because of how ridiculously overpowered the mages are, I don't get why people find this game so much fun.

Don't even get me started on the TON of pointless abilities on non-magic users. Hell I'm playing as a mage and the combat seems pretty mediocre, I shudder to think what someone who rolled an archer would do (switch to his mage party characters maybe).

While it's not boring per se, don't find it very fun.

I always get into the part where that first little outpost falls, then past that to one of the quests (Go talk to the Dawrves, the elves, some other guys, whatever).

I generally do one, go to bed and then never play again.

It's... odd.

Yahtzee put it pretty well, if you liked other BioWare games, the DA:O was going to be good for you. I really enjoyed the game, but if you're 9 hours in and it isn't doing anything for you...I'd say it might be time to stop. It's not gonna change much and if the story hasn't held you in thus far it won't shift into high gear anytime soon.

As someone who enjoyed the game, I do have to say that I agree with what you said about archers. I wondered that about halfway through my warrior run. Bows were pretty much useless in the game.

I don't know if you're using the PC or console version, but the PC version is basically a strategy game "your" character is important to the extent if he's a mage that's one more option for a brutally overpowered character, but that's it. Other than that though it's very slow burning and has some genuine problems (extreme imbalance regarding mages being a major one, but a broken progression system and uninspired skill mechanics are two other important ones)

That said I still really enjoyed it, the plot was interesting and there were really an awful lot of clever references back to things you did elsewhere. It was slow as hell though and I while I do still want to replay it my plan is to use mods to extend the AI system and play without directly controlling combat at all.

Yeah, I admit I found the gameplay to be fairly boring as well. Fellow Mage here. I even played on the highest difficulty, where there's friendly fire with AoE abilities, and it was still a joke. Big enemy spawn? Send in Alistair, AoE taunt, give Alistair a force field, then have my player character, Wynne, and Morrigan all rain death down upon the now nicely-gathered enemies and invulnerable tank. What's that? Boss mob time? Same strategy. What's that? Alistair somehow managed to die? Play aggro pong with my three Mages, shielding one whenever it gets low in health and healing it up, meanwhile the third Mage gets to DPS away. No challenge at all with a Mage-heavy party.

That said, while the story started off pretty goddamn slow for me, I got into it a bit more as it unfolded. I also found that I liked the characters quite a bit. If DA2 had been made with the cast from the first game returning, I probably would have bought it.

It's a very slow, strategic RPG. If that's your thing, it's awesome. If not, and I fall into this category, it's going to bore you senseless.

What's funny is I played a Mage for my first character and actually really enjoyed the game, but going back to replay it I was like "How in the hell did I find this enjoyable?!?".

Its slow paced ill give it that I played on the PC and specced my mages wrong at first so had a hard time for a while until I salvaged a few key spells.

Sure it got dull in parts but overall I enjoyed it sure it wasnt amazing or anything but I had fun I think my main party was Morrigan, Shale, and Wynne, my main was a mage (cant remember what type but most of the spells were largely crap) I later used a mod after finishing the game to respec my main and he became godlike then, although I had already finished the game so didnt care.

I remember shale being a good tank and dog had some good abilities but didnt really use the rest much. Anyway I found it an ok game quite fun in places yes a bit dull in others but overall it was ok it didnt interest me enough to buy any of the DLC (shale was free for me) or expansion. Also didnt bother with the sequel but ive heard largely negative things about that one anyway maybe ill try it if I ever find it dirt cheap.

The game does take a while to get going though 6 hours in this game isnt a lot and it does get better just dont expect amazing things.

I agree, I just find it very boring (combat especially). And for some reason, I just don't like the characters, they aren't very likeable. I don't think it's a bad game, I just find it is best described with the word "boring".

Ctmnt08:
Yahtzee put it pretty well, if you liked other BioWare games, the DA:O was going to be good for you.

For me personally, that's not at all true. I love the Mass Effect games, but think DA:O is just so boring.

Have you hit the fade yet? If not, you're in for a treat. (And by treat I mean two hours of suck).

I think the best way to enjoy DA:O combat is to crank the difficulty all the way up and self-impose a mage limit. Still doesn't make it all that great, but definitely a step up from Mass Effect or Jade Empire.

Kahunaburger:
Have you hit the fade yet? If not, you're in for a treat. (And by treat I mean two hours of suck).

I think the best way to enjoy DA:O combat is to crank the difficulty all the way up and self-impose a mage limit. Still doesn't make it all that great, but definitely a step up from Mass Effect or Jade Empire.

No, not the Fade! It gave me a headache every time I played in the fade...Thankfully it's over

OT: Yeah, the combat is pretty boring, but the plot and quests were really interesting, not to mention the characters, and their interactions with you and each other: Alistar vs Morrigan and Alistar vs Wynne spring to mind. However, if after nine hours you're not feeling it, you may want to rest, especially before...

THE FADE

I agree, I bought the damn game full price and was royally pissed off. The fade is easily one of the worst designed levels in gaming (oh yes, even worse than sewer levels)

Well, combo breaking here, but I really liked the Fade, and would argue that was my favorite part of the game. It was different, it put me into a situation where I had to re-think my tactical plan, it was pretty damn creative.

Still, if after 9 hours you can't enjoy it; well, I think it's time to take a break. Maybe try getting back to it after a few weeks or so, maybe you'll get sucked in then, maybe you won't - just don't force yourself though something you don't enjoy now.

Kahunaburger:

UNDERSTATEMENT.

I actually installed a mod that skips the fade, I hated it that much.

Kahunaburger:

Yea, that's what I did, make some self imposed rules to follow. Nightmare difficulty, 1 mage only with no healing spells, reloaded when a party member 'went down', no storm spells indoors, no overpowered dlc items, no specializations..

I rolled an archer for my main and had no problem with him. He wasn't the most powerful build EVA, but it's a party based game so who cares ? He did other things outside of combat, like disarm traps, pick locks, talking with ppl.. Once he got some abilities like scattershot he was pretty damn effective in combat too. Arrow of slaying or whatever it's called, for taking out those enemy mages in the back quickly. I played with the tactics off, constantly pausing and switching around to all of my party members, so it's not like I'm only using one character the whole time anyway.

It wasn't great by any means (too much MMO influences for 1 thing), ESPECIALLY compared to older party based RPGs. But at least it wasn't another shitty action RPG #759659759759759865985687587945854865486548

The idea of the games Dragon Age was based off is that the difficulty ramps up and you can only get through even the most mundane battles by micromanaging your troops, preparing strategies prior to fights and executing them calmly. The other main components of the game are intended to be the depth and breadth of the story, and the interactions of various characters, including the various ones in your party.

If you find this boring, you will find every other overtly D&D based RPG Bioware has ever made to be boring as well, and probably Icewind Dale, too.

As for the flaws of Dragon Age, it could really have done with some HD graphics to make things clearer - older games just had clear pixels, later games had HD, Dragon Age feels a bit blurry and washed out even when you crank the settings way up - the interaction with NPCs could have been made more frequent, and the difficulty could have been a bit more unforgiving even on the standard settings.

As for the strength of mages, I never really noticed that, largely because I only ever had a mage and a healer to compliment my melee... Recently restarted the game as a mage though so things might be more obvious this time around.

Saviordd1:

Kahunaburger:

UNDERSTATEMENT.

I actually installed a mod that skips the fade, I hated it that much.

Fade sucks. I love DA:O. Replayed it 4 times now, but I only played through Fade once. Skip the Fade mod is a blessing!

Yea, Dragon Age isn't for everyone. I personally had a lot of fun with it, but I am a min-maxer in RPG's which probably helped, it is a good game for overpowered builds.

Also, if you think mages are overpowered, you haven't seen how overpowered the archery gets haha. You used to be able to obtain 100% critical chance with three archers (player, Leliana + Zevran), at which point the game is basically broken because everything dies before it even gets close to you, although they might have patched that I don't know.

Also, I agree with the others about the fade, if there was ever a section of that game that dragged the experience down, it was that one, thank god for the modding community is all I can say.

I played to half of it and months later finished it, because i had nothing else to play, although sometimes i was having fun, most of the game bored me, and the final boss fight is terrible, if you still havent had any fun i sugest you stop playing right because only get worse, still i think is better than mass effect, bioware rpg's are only for those who like them, but i already made my point, if you are bored 9 hours in (wich is nothing compared to the full time you spend to finish all of it) you should sop, and if you really want to play an rpg you should try the witcher 2 is more action based.

Yep, DA:O is rather boring. It's not a bad game, per se, but very...BioWare, yes, Yahtzee is correct. I did play through it but, really, I can see how you one can struggle.

Let me guess you are into first person hack&slash and you aren't one for story driven games?

Well then you choose poorly.

I got that same feeling. It feels dull and pointless for a while in the earlier game. Some of my problems came from the balance issues, although Bioware patched out some of those. I didn't find it horribly unbalanced like many did in this thread, but I can see where they're coming from.

I'd advise you to stick with it because it does get better, I eventually ended up putting 90-100 hours into it. Probably because of its length, it isn't as gripping as something like Mass Effect, but it's rewarding if you invest yourself.

Kahunaburger:

My girlfriend actually liked the fade.

No, I have no idea why either.

I would say if you have given it that long and 't like it, then perhaps it is not your thing. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I enjoyed the game, but found at some points it got a bit slow.

I love the game but did find that it started rather slowly. Realistically though if you're not enjoying yourself at 9 hours in, you're probably best off cutting your losses and quitting now.

I like DA: O, the combat is a bit irritating at times, but other than that I have fun with it.

Started out as a human rogue, but got bored with that pretty quickly. Switched over to a dwarf warrior and have been having fun ever since.

Yes. The farthest I made it was the Mage tower, got about half way through the demon realm place or whatever. Then said screw it this is boring. Then I rewatched the lord of the rings movies.

I liked DA:O's combat. I thought it did the holy trinity fairly well, although AOE spells are op as all hell by the time you can have multiple mages in your party.

no, it's pretty dull, playing as a mage makes the game easy though, then again, so did playing as a warrior, and the story, meh, i beat it and i remember nothing about it.

And That's Terrible:
Did anyone else get this feeling?
I'm 9 hours in and feel I have acomplished nothing so far, and am getting bored out of my skull.
The combat is pretty much a joke at this point because of how ridiculously overpowered the mages are, I don't get why people find this game so much fun.

Don't even get me started on the TON of pointless abilities on non-magic users. Hell I'm playing as a mage and the combat seems pretty mediocre, I shudder to think what someone who rolled an archer would do (switch to his mage party characters maybe).

Turn up the difficulty. If you find nightmare easy you are a god. I love the game, but I suspect this is more because of my overall love of the fantasy RPG genre and while the gameplay is far from excellent, it is well executed.

N'yeah... basically, if you're not having fun in the first ten or so hours then nothing much is likely to change for the remaining 70 or so - it's a seriously long game.

Personally I found the game a lot more fun when I turned the difficulty on the combat all the way down, because on higher levels even some of the most basic fights (let alone the bosses or big all-in brawls) would take forever to complete by the time you paused almost every second to use more potions or jiggle abilities or whatnot. At least on the easy mode you can get the fights over and done with in a reasonable time and then get back to the story...

I liked the combat(on nightmare) a shame the game is held back by having a few large levels slapped together with a few small ones instead of a proper continent, skills are laughable, lack of enhancement options startling and the AI scripting could have been better. As far as Biowhores bearable games go its the lowest one with Mass effect 2 and 3 slightly above it.

I really dug combat I love having complete control over the battle field, I wish FF12 played like that!

All and all its not as bad as DA 2 still nto as good as ME tho....

It is certainly... slow, sometimes
My first character is an old 'good' female warrior elf who i made an archer by mistake
My second is my evil male human mage
I liked the fade, was fun to switch to being a golem and the spirit cities and wandering on those xen like islands in space

I really miss the old interface with the excessively bloody book, DA2's interface is so boring and mass effecty
I also miss being able to hit my keyboard numbers in dialogue
You really should not play DA2 for the combat, if that makes sense
I play for the story, however unoriginal and corny it may be if summarized quickly

I just thought about how awkward it is going to be to have to make my evil mage support the templars since my good char supported mages, not that it matters as much as in game #2
Or technically 3, since Awakening was so fun

Yeah, it kind of is. Damn better than BioWare's latest offerings, but the system where each of the 3 primary quests are a string of 3 - 4 2 hour dungeons with no real options to exit, merch, pick a new party, whatever dragged on and on. I found myself muttering for the game to get to the fucking point under my breath quite a few times.

My biggest gripe is that the game becomes a death march once you enter one of the primary quests, no going back until the damn thing's done, no matter how much you like the combat, fighting your way through a mountain village, then 2 levels of ruins, then a mountain pass, then another 3 levels of ruins just gets boring if there's nothing to break it up or a quickie escape hatch.

I absolutely loved the expansion though, it was alot shorter, which is what made it so much more playable.

And That's Terrible:
I shudder to think what someone who rolled an archer would do (switch to his mage party characters maybe).

I rolled a dual-wielding rogue for my first playthrough. Decapitating badddies in stealth was fun for a time. I wish the gameplay wasn't so "auto-pilot" though. So I feel your pain (doubly so since I prefer action games and such).

I also tried a warrior on greatswords... holy fucking balls on sugar frosted wheat toast...

And That's Terrible:
I shudder to think what someone who rolled an archer would do (switch to his mage party characters maybe).

Actually, revel in the power that is some of the later game archer skills. I personally wouldn't pick an archer myself, but they have a great deal of strength - I just found it easiest to relegate to the AI.

Personally, I found the game most engaging in terms of story. You know, Bioware and all. Though I didn't think the combat mediocre. It's not the most actiony of things, but it wasn't meant to be. It's strategic and, in a boss fight on the higher difficulties, tense.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here