Ninja gaiden
Racing games
Strategy games
Skyrim
Sport games
angry birds
wordfeud
rumble

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.
it has already been done.

The Binding Of Isaac; not because the story wouldn't work (abused son kills his insane mother, not too complex), but because if Isaac's cartoony graphics were translated into live action it would unwatchably, soul-searingly, vomit-inducingly horrific).

Seriously, it would be like A Serbian Film raped The Human Centipede in an alleyway, aborted the resulting fetus, shoved a dozen sharp objects into the body, filled it with gasoline, set it alight and threw it into an orphanage.

Saregon:
For me right now, it would probably be Dead Space. Now, don't get me wrong, I do think it has potential as a movie, but it needs to be done right, capturing the creepy feeling you get being on board the Ishimura. Being an EA title though, I have a feeling they would just make it more like a full-on action movie like Resident Evil or Doom to grab more cash, which would be bad.

Agreed.

I was actually going to say Dead Space as well, because though it's not the 'scariest' game of all time, if they tried making a movie off it .. well, it'd be harder then Hollywood could imagine. You first must make the necromorphs look realistic, and not cheesy looking like The Amazing Spiderman's lizard villain.

Second, it needs a strong atmosphere. Most Hollywood movies tend to go for the layouts of repeated hallways that don't have anything to disturbing about them and rooms you can't get the sensation that it looks like it's from the video game itself. Might be cool looking, but it won't suit the movie or get us drawn in for it's not the same.

Another thing is Isaac's character. Will he talk, or be mute the whole movie? Will it even be Isaac in that engineer suit of his or will they remodel his outfit to look 'slick' yet silly looking in the eyes of the fans? The biggest problem is what this movie is aiming for- to please the fans, or catch people's attention with something new made from a video game? To many risks and I could go on but just saying the most obvious stuff out here.

Dark Souls, the co-op system, invasion system, and minimalistic story would be a nightmare to translate on a movie screen. Also not helping is a difficulty that revolves around trial and error, resulting in many deaths, which would be hard to portray in a film without having a hatred of main characters not seen outside CoD. Lastly, you just know the slower pace of Dark Souls would be dumped for over choreographed fight scenes resulting in Ornstien and Smough looking far easier to solo than they actually are.

Fappy:
WoW. I can't imagine that movie having anything redeemable... just... no.

I've got bad news for you, they are making one. And I am guessing it's going to be horrid.

Eddie the head:

Fappy:
WoW. I can't imagine that movie having anything redeemable... just... no.

I've got bad news for you, they are making one. And I am guessing it's going to be horrid.

Yeah I know. The fact that they are is the reason why I am bitching about it instead of another game :P

Grivahri:

Strategy games

Actually I think the Red Alert series could make for an interesting movie, provided they discounted the third one because like the 2009 Star Trek movie, it buttfucks everything that came before it with a shaft the size of the CN Tower.

As for games that would make shitty movies, pretty much any Japanese game, because we all know Hollywood can't grasp any culture that's not American.

Girl With One Eye:
Metal Gear Solid, good luck cramming in the whole plot into one movie. Even if they split it into parts, it would most likely have most of it cut out and unexplained.

Holy crap, you picked the one series that would make a *good* movie. I'm surprised there is so much agreement on this point. Have you all never seen Philanthropy? It was a good fan movie, and a real sanctioned movie would actually be awesome.

Basically, any game series that requires significant player input, would probably not make a good movie unless you departed from its canon really, really hard. If a game has choice, you're going to have to lock the main character into one path, and that sort of defeats the purpose. This is why Mass Effect fails the test. But 90% of genres would simply suck: RTS, WRPG, most third-person-adventure like Fallout 3, sandbox games...so on.

The easiest games to turn into movies are going to be the games that are *already* movies. Xenosaga, for one. Metal Gear Solid, for two. Sure, you'd have to turn Metal Gear into a good 4-5 movies just to show the entire plot, but each game could absolutely be a movie, with an optional extra Big Boss prequel covering Portable Ops and Peace Walker. Now, the obvious mistake would be trying to make 1, 2, and maybe 4 fit in the same movie, but that's just stupid. Movie 1 is all about Snake going to Shadow Moses and discovering Liquid Snake's whole shindig. You would have to include a little more about what Ocelot had to do with any of this. Movie 2 is about Snake showing up at Big Shell, more again about Ocelot's plot put in, as well as maybe a bit of what the point of Dead Cell was. Movie 3 is a prequel about Big Boss and might actually come either after 4 or before 2, and also includes some of the backstory you only find through CODEC, like how Ocelot is the Boss and Sorrow's son and all that, and where the Cobra Unit came from. Movie 4 wraps everything up, and

Hell, you could actually leave out MGS2 and still have something reasonable, so long as you played up the "Snake is an aging clone" thing a bit early, maybe at the end of MGS1.

Basically, Metal Gear suffers from Lord of the Rings problems, in that it has a lot of important details in footnotes/optional CODEC conversations, but if you glean the important bits from those and fit it into the main plot, you could almost make a movie just out of the cutscenes.

JRPGs would also make decent movies, for the same reason. There's already a Persona 4 anime that is pretty much "every major scene in the game, except nicely wrapped into a movie package."

Hm.

Now that they made a totally random movie out of Battleships, I guess we're already well beyond the wonderful crap of Uwe Boll.

So... the one thing that would surprise me somewhat would be a movie about Monopoly. Or hungry hungry hippos.

If it's got to be a video game, I guess my mind would be blown by a movie based on Shellshock 2 or Rogue Warrior, both Rebbellion Developments titles that are absolutely, abysmally horrible beyond description. Also, they should be made on the Philippines, with a budget of five dollars.

So far, pretty much all of them. (At least none that I can remember offhand).

Broady Brio:
Any. Fighting. Game. Ever. Made.

It'd be interesting to see a Marvel VS Capcom movie. Maybe if it was animated like the Street Fighter II movie...

The Sims. While it would be possible to make a film about 'The Sims', it wouldn't be anything like the game at all, unless it was like The Truman Show.

Any of those olympics games. None of them would make good films.

Legacy of Kain. There is just too much there, no one would be able to condense it all into one film and no studio would allow a director to try and do it true justice. It would just be too great a risk to do so with a film adaptation of a game series that has not been relevant for the last 9 years. And if it was green lit, I can just see it being a watered down piece of garbage with bad pacing, ok CGI and flat acting due to the reasons I mentioned before.
Dear god what if Uwe Boll got a hold of it O.O The horror, the horror....

Battleship - the classic board game. Who in their right mind would... oh.

All of them.
The whole point of a game is interactivity, and a film doesn't have that.

cojo965:
Dark Souls, the co-op system, invasion system, and minimalistic story would be a nightmare to translate on a movie screen. Also not helping is a difficulty that revolves around trial and error, resulting in many deaths, which would be hard to portray in a film without having a hatred of main characters not seen outside CoD. Lastly, you just know the slower pace of Dark Souls would be dumped for over choreographed fight scenes resulting in Ornstien and Smough looking far easier to solo than they actually are.

What, can't you imagine the MC of Dark Souls pulling some Matrix-style acrobatics, high kicking Ornstein into Smough, then whipping out a hitherto unnoticed assault rifle and gunning them down, then pouring gasoline on them and chucking Great Chaos Fireball at them while walking away and putting on sunglasses, unimpressed by the explosion behind him?
Tch, some people...

King of Asgaard:

cojo965:

What, can't you imagine the MC of Dark Souls pulling some Matrix-style acrobatics, high kicking Ornstein into Smough, then whipping out a hitherto unnoticed assault rifle and gunning them down, then pouring gasoline on them and chucking Great Chaos Fireball at them while walking away and putting on sunglasses, unimpressed by the explosion behind him?
Tch, some people...

Not quite what I mean. I'm talking more along the lines of the Clash of the Titans remake. There were so many fight scenes so close together that using the toilet at any point caused me to miss out on most of a fight scene. Also I am dead sure there would be shaky cam during them in an attempt to make the fight edgy and force people to watch the dvd because they got motion sickness in the theater.

Girl With One Eye:
Metal Gear Solid, good luck cramming in the whole plot into one movie. Even if they split it into parts, it would most likely have most of it cut out and unexplained.

They could just turn MGS3 into a movie and have it as a standalone.

Shadow of the Colossus.

...is what I thought at first. But in the hands of a masterful director, that movie could actually be one of the best things ever. They would need to cut it down from 16 colossi (that's how many there are, right?) to three or so (Land, Sea, and Air, perhaps?), and focus more on Wander's backstory and his relationship with his deceased girlfriend, but done right it could not just be a great video-game adaptation, but a brilliant film, period.

Here's hoping. One way or another, it's being developed even as we speak.

eimatshya:

rekabdarb:

most if not all RPGS. A mass effect movie WITH Shepard would be a bad idea. Unless he's on the outskirts. Like you hear him in passing, or you noticed him at the citadel.

I don't think it would be good to have Shepard in the movie at all. Showing her/him brings up the problem that many fans of the game will have created Shepards that will look different from the one shown (and who will also possibly be a different gender, depending on whether you played as Femshep or Maleshep).

Easy solution to this.
"The commander saved the citadel from Saren and the Geth... Wish i could meet him. blah blah blah."
Refer to only the title/name. Commander shepard you're my hero.

Or if anything when the main character is knocked the fuck out have each voice actor say something. The same thing at the same time.

So that he's imagining both shepards at the same time.

bafrali:
Half Life. Protagonist doesn't speak. It doesn't have much dialog. It relies on enviromental storytelling from first person perspective.

The main character in Drive said almost nothing and that movie was awesome.

OT: Lost Planet, that made an awful game. At least I wouldn't have to play it.
I think most games if done correctly could work, it's just no one knows how to do it.

A Mass Effect movie would not work very well at all. And yes, I know they are making one. I was trying to stay optimistic about it, but that failed when they said that Seth Green would not be playing Joker because he "doesn't look enough like him".

Also, a Metroid: Other M movie.

Caramel Frappe:

I was actually going to say Dead Space as well, because though it's not the 'scariest' game of all time

That title goes for Slender :P

And it could be made into a good movie if done right

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.383677-Poll-Proposal-Slender-Man-Found-Footage-Movie?page=1

Let me make this clear: ALL OF THEM.

Games are GAMES, and should STAY GAMES. They are created to be games, and they are best as games.

The other day I was day-dreaming about Borderlands: The Movie. That wouldn't work at all. Never before have I seen so much happen in a game's plot without anything going on. Love it to pieces though.

Besides all of them? That have ever been made? Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid might make good anime movies though, their mostly cutscenes already. Games and Movies should not breed, the children are almost always deformed.

Kpt._Rob:
With exception to some obvious casual game examples (for instance Tetris)

A Tetris movie could totally be made. You just need to do more of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0

The way to make a Mass Effect movie is, oddly simple. You make it about Captain Anderson and his attempt to get into the Spectre's and the end of the movie you see him get handed a folder which has 'Cmdr J. Shepard' on it.

rekabdarb:

most if not all RPGS. A mass effect movie WITH Shepard would be a bad idea. Unless he's on the outskirts. Like you hear him in passing, or you noticed him at the citadel.

And if he's played by Idris Elba.

Naeras:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Simply because horror movies are almost universally bad

You mean, " Simply because I don't have a preference in the genre"?
OT: I don't know what video game movies would suck, but a Sinistar movie would be pretty badass.

Let's think slightly outside the box for a moment - what if a Metal Gear Solid movie was done in a similar way to the original Tomb Raider film i.e. set in the same universe with the same characters but with a different story to any of the games. That way a new plot, still involving Snake trying to stop Metal Gear, could still happen without making a film 10 hours long.

On the subject of games that wouldn't work

Mario Kart
Angry Birds
Kingsley
Guitar Hero
Rayman

Dear Esther would make a pretty rubbish movie. Or should I say that it would be made into a pretty rubbish movie. Probably involving multiple clichéd characters, lots of running with handheld cameras and horrific flashbacks. So it would probably be a teen horror. Urgh.

TheScientificIssole:

Naeras:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Simply because horror movies are almost universally bad

You mean, " Simply because I don't have a preference in the genre"?

You realize that you just cut out the most important part of my post, right? The narrative model is the most important reason why it wouldn't work, the part you quoted was just the flamebait/ranting-part of my post. :V

Also, horror movies are pretty much worse than horror games at horrifying by default, because they're non-interactive.

Street Fighter

cojo965:

King of Asgaard:

cojo965:

Tch, some people...

Not quite what I mean. I'm talking more along the lines of the Clash of the Titans remake. There were so many fight scenes so close together that using the toilet at any point caused me to miss out on most of a fight scene. Also I am dead sure there would be shaky cam during them in an attempt to make the fight edgy and force people to watch the dvd because they got motion sickness in the theater.

I know what you mean, I was just being facetious. :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked