A couple of big Xcom: Enemy unknown complaints...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I am really loving this game but there are 2 huge issues that I have with it both of whom suck out a lot of the fun:

1. How your teammates can panic.

Seriously, what the fuck?

I guess I can grasp the basic idea behind this. If lots of bad shit happens, your teammates freak out. However it is handled so extremely poorly that it basically just ruins some games. How does it come that simply getting shot at can cause some of your teammates to freak out and turn into sobbing wrecks that can't move? Why do die hard soldiers who have been on a dozen missions start to literally cry in fear and then panic simply because they saw someone die, or in some cases simply got shot at? Even worse is when they panic and shoot one of your other teammates for no reason. This mechanic should either be fixed or removed from the game completely.

EDIT: This guy from the 2K forums summed up by problems with panicking:

Pipisongo:
I have to pile on here. I've been an enthusiastic fan of this game since the beginning. I gave Firaxis the benefit of the doubt on the gameplay changes because Jake's attitude inspired a lot of confidence. Once I saw the gameplay videos I saw that all the changes made the game better and became an XCOM: EU fanboy. And speaking in my capacity as an official XCOM: EU fanboy I have to say:

This is a legitimate knock against the game that needs to get patched. I remember I had noticed it in one of the gameplay videos but I totally forgot about it. Panicked soldiers targeting each other is most definitely NOT XCOM baby! Like a previous poster stated, in the original game a panicked soldier fired a few rounds in random directions. In other words, he free aimed. If it turned out that a comrade was in the path one of the shots, he would get hit. This makes sense. But having soldiers intentionally target each other is complete BS. If the devs can't make them free aim, at the very least, there should be a requirement that the target soldier be near an alien and the panicked soldier be very far. This makes it plausible that the panicked soldier confused the two because of the distance, heat of battle, and his panicked state.

If the devs can't implement this mechanic correctly they should remove it, and the game would suffer in my eyes. Between this and the reported game-crashing bug I'm seriously considering not going ironman. I will be picking my Xbox copy this afternoon and keep monitoring these forums before I make a decision on ironman.

Original thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?149136-Panic-kind-of-working-stupidly/page3

2. Enemies randomally spawning right in front of you.

This doesn't happen THAT often, but when it does it can be very tempting to just rage quit. Considering how positioning your team in a careful manner is extremely important and making even the smallest mistake can get your team killed, it feels like a giant fuck you from the developers when AI enemies decide to just instantly spawn right behind or in front of your soldiers in a room or an area that was empty when you ended your turn. I recently lost 2 very powerful soldiers because 3 enemies suddenly spawned a few feet away from my soldiers and then got to shoot at them before it was my turn again. Perhaps this one is just a bug and not intended, but its extremely annoying when this happens just the same.

Anyone else agrees with my points?

Panic happens most to rookies, and when soldiers in particular see a seasoned vet go down. It's part of XCOM, and always has been.

They aren't spawning in front of you, you're not spotting them. Battle scanner is great.

Hardcore_gamer:

PTSD. The game is trying to model the terror/intimidation factor of fighting aliens and dealing with seeing your comrades gunned down around by said aliens. There are a few issues with the current panic system and the lack of free aim, where the absence of a nearby alien and a "shoot at the enemy" roll for your panic state will have you shooting at allies instead, leading to a lot more ally shooting than would ideally be the case, but really this can be easily mitigated by using high will soldiers and not getting shot all the time.

Hardcore_gamer:

If you're talking about Thin Men falling from the sky, yeah, that was a curious design decision. It really only happens with them, so I guess it's a thing they do, but it can be irritating.

If you're talking about Floaters using their blast off ability to land behind your lines, that's intentional, and it's one of the few things that makes Floaters dangerous.

If you're talking about a big pack of mobs suddenly appearing right in the middle of your group as if by magic, that's a known BUG. The good news is it only happens if you're save scumming. Stop save scumming and you shouldn't run into this any more.

And yes, the game is very buggy, which is unfortunate.

Alcaste:
Panic happens most to rookies, and when soldiers in particular see a seasoned vet go down. It's part of XCOM, and always has been.

It doesn't just happen when seasoned wets go down. I have seen soldiers panic for no reason at all other then that they got shot at and then perhaps got a bit injured. The idea of soldiers targeting and shooting at their friends afterward makes no sense either. I could understand it if they shoot randomally all over the place, but they ONLY shoot at your teammates unless there is an alien somewhere close. The fact that it has always been a part of xcom is also no excuse. Bad design is bad design.

Alcaste:
They aren't spawning in front of you, you're not spotting them. Battle scanner is great.

No, they literally spawned out of thin air. I had 4 of my soldiers inside a room that I just cleared. And then once I pressed the end turn button 3 or so enemies suddenly materialized out of nothing right in the middle of the room. This is not a case of me not noticing enemies in a fog of war, they literally appeared out of thin air. Like I said in the OP this could be a bug, but it still happened.

Pipisongo:
I have to pile on here. I've been an enthusiastic fan of this game since the beginning. I gave Firaxis the benefit of the doubt on the gameplay changes because Jake's attitude inspired a lot of confidence. Once I saw the gameplay videos I saw that all the changes made the game better and became an XCOM: EU fanboy. And speaking in my capacity as an official XCOM: EU fanboy I have to say:

This is a legitimate knock against the game that needs to get patched. I remember I had noticed it in one of the gameplay videos but I totally forgot about it. Panicked soldiers targeting each other is most definitely NOT XCOM baby! Like a previous poster stated, in the original game a panicked soldier fired a few rounds in random directions. In other words, he free aimed. If it turned out that a comrade was in the path one of the shots, he would get hit. This makes sense. But having soldiers intentionally target each other is complete BS. If the devs can't make them free aim, at the very least, there should be a requirement that the target soldier be near an alien and the panicked soldier be very far. This makes it plausible that the panicked soldier confused the two because of the distance, heat of battle, and his panicked state.

If the devs can't implement this mechanic correctly they should remove it, and the game would suffer in my eyes. Between this and the reported game-crashing bug I'm seriously considering not going ironman. I will be picking my Xbox copy this afternoon and keep monitoring these forums before I make a decision on ironman.

Original thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?149136-Panic-kind-of-working-stupidly/page3

I hate the Fog of War in terms of staircases, cause if/when you are on an upper level, you can see the entire bottom area, except the staircase. I know when I assaulted an alien base, I moved a unit down the stairs, just to find 3 mutons camping on those stairs who insta-gibbed my soldier because I had given him cover for the next group down the way, instead of the stairway group. It even gets so bad that on some stairs, if a muton is on one side of a stair rail, he won't show in your soldier's line of sight (and I mean the very thin stair rails, not the elegant kinds).

Hardcore_gamer:
I am really loving this game but there are 2 huge issues that I have with it both of whom suck out a lot of the fun:

Imagine getting shot at by big green motherfuckers who have plasma rifles, I think you would freak out at the sight of that or just run the hell away. It is realism I guess, never really happens much on Normal difficulty so try that instead of classic (God help you if you have been playing on Impossible)

Sorry mate, you must be positioning your troops wrong because that has NEVER happened to me before.

Hardcore_gamer:

I guess I can grasp the basic idea behind this. If lots of bad shit happens, your teammates freak out. However it is handled so extremely poorly that it basically just ruins some games. How does it come that simply getting shot at can cause some of your teammates to freak out and turn into sobbing wrecks that can't move? Why do die hard soldiers who have been on a dozen missions start to literally cry in fear and then panic simply because they saw someone die, or in some cases simply got shot at? Even worse is when they panic and shoot one of your other teammates for no reason. This mechanic should either be fixed or removed from the game completely.

Pipisongo:

This doesn't happen THAT often, but when it does it can be very tempting to just rage quit. Considering how positioning your team in a careful manner is extremely important and making even the smallest mistake can get your team killed, it feels like a giant fuck you from the developers when AI enemies decide to just instantly spawn right behind or in front of your soldiers in a room or an area that was empty when you ended your turn. I recently lost 2 very powerful soldiers because 3 enemies suddenly spawned a few feet away from my soldiers and then got to shoot at them before it was my turn again. Perhaps this one is just a bug and not intended, but its extremely annoying when this happens just the same.

1. Speaking as a soldier of 6 years with 3 tours of duty under his belt I can say that its very easy for some people to panic at the first signs of fire. One can not simply look at a person and determine if they will be calm and cool or panicking in a fire fight. Ive seen people you would call badasses panic at the first shots and a "nerdy" person hold it together better then people who had been in more fire fights then me. Speaking from a realism standpoint I think its a fair mechanic except they dont continue panicking

2. I totally agree about the enemies spawning in front of you. IMO the fact that they basicly get two moves is a huge problem that gives them huge tactical benefits.

Ive never had the issue of enemies spawning in front of me. if they appeared behind me its normally because ive gone to assault a UFO and had them come out of an outside area i didnt clear.

im quite enjoying the panic mechanic personally. added a bit of rpg to the game for me..

I had 2 american trooppers join at the same time, male and female. i assumed they were more than friends and had joined together. long story short a mission results in him being killed and his girldriend lost the plot and opens fire killing the alien who murdered her boyfriend. :D

Alcaste:

There IS a bug where they spawn ON TOP OF YOU. I've had it happen to me two or three time. And unless it happens under the most ideal of circumstances you're almost assured to lose at least 1 soldier if not more, and not because you screwed up - because the game did.

Yeah, i've seen the spawning bug in action. It's really a bug. I had a damn sectopod spawning just between 2 of my men that were in an open space. Don't tell me that I didn't placed them correctly, that sectopod didn't came from the FOW...

I also had in another mission another sectopod that I saw in the edge of the FOW, at the bottom of an UFO, and a turn later it was on the roof...

The spawning on top, I believe is a bug related to how they have the aliens patrolling so many numbers of waypoint spots on the map (i.e. during an abduction mission, they'd be clustered around those cocooned, webbed body). That way if you know where they were and reloaded the game, they might not be at that spot in a couple rounds, having moved off.

But the appearing out of nowhere, is due to them not having being triggered by you, and your squad happened to be on said waypoint destination. And of course, the game just teleports them to save time versus trying to calculate the pathfinding. A quick fix would be to flag and remove that waypoint from their patrol queue.

It rarely happens to me, I guess since I tend to move slow. So it might be an issue of play style and pushing fast?

Hardcore_gamer:

Pipisongo:

1. Panicking was in the original. Rookies and low-level soldiers do not handle very well. Rookies are glorified meat shields. That's all they are in XCOM.

Its also worth to note that if a high rank soldier dies, everyone in that team lower than the dead soldier's rank gets a huge moral penalty.

2. The spawning is a bug. They are supposed to spawn in the fog of war THEN wander into your sight. The problem is that in smaller maps with higher difficulties, fog of war is scarce so it drops them in your line of sight. Its a waypoint "patrol" system.

XCOM isn't nice. It was NEVER nice to its players.

If you constantly die and lose, that's XCOM.

1. The changed panic mechanics are... not so great, I agree. The original had this huge variety of possible reactions to morale failures with the most common being dropping equipped items and running, and that variety was much better than the shoot target/hunker down/walk three squares that EU gives you.

2. A bug that has only ever worked in my favour. But yeah, this game is buggy as a motherfuck.

There are a lot of faults there.

The 2 you mention is the least of them IMO.

Panic is a non-issue and decent design. It is a perfectly reasonable implementation of the panic system from the old game to the new mechanics. I would of course like to see more things they can do rather than just shoot at the nearest target or hunker down, but I see that being as a tiny thing.

As for the spawn in bug it goes on a long list of things I have encountered in the game. A lot of the problems involves reloading and the destructible environment. I have been able to take cover inside objects.

Either way it needs a lot of patching before it is up to snuff.

The panic shootings can be stopped with a simple mod if you feel like it.

--------------------------------
Google for a resource hacker.

Drag and drop the game exe into it (after making a backup of course).

Open the folder RCData\1020\1033 and you'll be able to edit all the stats in the game like costs, weapon damage, hitpoints, etc.

Scroll down untill you find the line that says 'SHOOT_WHEN_PANICKED=4'

Lower the value to the desired amount.

Compile script

Save

No more friendly fire.
--------------------------------

lRookiel:

Sorry mate, you must be positioning your troops wrong because that has NEVER happened to me before.

I'm playing on the PC, and I've had it happen about once per full game (in three so far). Most memorably, I had a Sectopod spawn on the spot where my squad deployed the turn after I moved them all into their first advancing positions.

It does happen.

Ya that panic thing was always there, I do appreciate a bit of extra depth it gives to the combat but they never figured out how to present and implement it properly so it's just a random uncontrollable spaz, and with the new game having smaller squads you get really fucked by this.

And the random spawns are bugs, so many bloody bugs.

The panic thing I'm pretty okay with, it makes sense and my troops target the enemy about as often as they target my own guys. It's actually saved my ass on occasion. But the random enemy appearing out of nowhere has been a major problem on my game (and no, I haven't been "save scamming"), including a sectopod that just appeared out of nowhere in full view of my squad and fired directly into my rear flank. Thank goodness for titan armour and plasma sniper rifles!

Reading through all the posts so far... Too many are ignoring the panic system's complaint being aimed at *panicked soldier always aiming for teammate*. I am no professional of XCOM, but I did spend a great number of hours watching a friend play TFTD (and he is somewhat of a professional at it). In that game panicked soldiers typically do the 'free aim' that some others mentioned in this thread. They shoot in random directions which is in my opinion very believable.

Spawning at random I would definitely put as a bug, since otherwise it is just a line of sight matter, and if you've really lit up a room and still they spawn... Well, yeah.

the spawning happened to me when i was only one tile or so away from seeing a group of enemies, quit the game after seeing them and when i loaded the game remembered i already saw them and moved them. i do encounter a lot of bugs related to just loading a game and enemies randomly moving, never the ones i see but when a group of muton elites suddenly is behind my squad when they clearly heard them to the left before is kinda dumb

I'm pretty sure panic happens to soldiers with low will. You rank them up with the proper officer training school ability and their will jumps up exponentially reducing their chances of panicking significantly(practically never). Never had my soldiers shoot at me when panicked though. That sounds shitty lol. I did put my damaged shiv in combat when it still had a day to repair. It was a headless soldier oddly enough and it panicked when it got shot at.

Haven't had many panics end badly, except one.
My medic (only medic) get tagged by Outsider and runs toward him, from full to half cover. Fires his gun at my sniper (missed) then gets killed next turn, although one of my friends had a panic end up with 2 soldiers killed and the VIP murdered. In one turn.

But I've been fairly lucky so far and am only at May in-game. (captured that outsider so I can progress the story when I'm ready, but I want some more powerful weapons first)

Captcha: You're not listening

How do you know what I'm listening to?

BloatedGuppy:

Hardcore_gamer:

If you're talking about a big pack of mobs suddenly appearing right in the middle of your group as if by magic, that's a known BUG. The good news is it only happens if you're save scumming. Stop save scumming and you shouldn't run into this any more.

This happend to me with a fucking Sectopod. I knew his position, and was waiting for him to get close enough for my snipers to take him down. And suddenly the bastard spawns right the fuck infront of my troops, flanking their position. Luckily his attacks missed and I had four strong guys, two of which were snipers with Double Tap, to take him out the very next turn.

A few Floaters also pulled this stunt. I hadn't even encountered them yet and all of a sudden they start hovering down on my troops.

The one thing I really dislike is how enemies always get the oppertunity to find cover when first spotted. The moment they get marked they instantly spot you and run for cover - There's no way to sneak up on them and take 'm out without them knowing.

I never had any problems with soldiers panicking though. There were actually a good couple of times where a panicked soldier reaction-shot an enemy.

Jackblank:
But the random enemy appearing out of nowhere has been a major problem on my game (and no, I haven't been "save scamming")...

Save SCUMMING. It's an actual term. It just means reloading from saved games when an undesirable result occurs. It doesn't mean you're scum, or anything.

I think my two biggest complaints about X-Com from what little I've played are:

1. That enemies get a free movement whenever you spot them (I thought the whole point of a TURN-based game is that you can't move if it's not your turn? This is like an RTS where the other guy can freeze all your units whenever he feels like it)

2. The "Hit" Percentages (yes I know a 95% chance to hit has a 5% chance to miss, but when an Chrysalid or some other enemy manages to evade 3 such shots consecutively while it casually walks up to one of your guys and 1-shots them it starts to feel like the hit chance actually means nothing and what's important if whether the game wants you to hit or not.)

I like the panicking. Well, I don't like when it happens to me, but I feel it should be in the game. You can't see how your troops' morale is doing like on the original, but it's not a big deal. It makes sense that getting shot at or wounded, or seeing a high ranking soldier go down would make one freak out a bit.

I haven't had the enemy spawning thing happen to me, but it is unfortunate that it can happen, and I hope they fix it.

Casual Shinji:

The one thing I really dislike is how enemies always get the oppertunity to find cover when first spotted. The moment they get marked they instantly spot you and run for cover - There's no way to sneak up on them and take 'm out without them knowing.

There are. I can think of 2 ways and I've used them both.

First one is using battle scanners. If you throw them outside of your field of view and they spot aliens, the aliens don't "activate". Then (on the next turn) your sniper can take out one of them (or two with double tap) before they run for cover.

Another way is to use a piece of equipment you can research later on.

Aeshi:

2. The "Hit" Percentages (yes I know a 95% chance to hit has a 5% chance to miss, but when an Chrysalid or some other enemy manages to evade 3 such shots consecutively while it casually walks up to one of your guys and 1-shots them it starts to feel like the hit chance actually means nothing and what's important if whether the game wants you to hit or not.)

I think this has more to do with how it feels than the actual percentages. Do you remember those times when your 40% shots hit 5 times in a row? And how about the time when you managed to make that 5% shot? You'd probably remember that one, but the point is, it probably didn't feel like the game's cheating.

Failing with high chance of success just feels more bad than succeeding with high chance of failure feels good.

Now, I don't know if the game actually has some sort of hidden calculations besides the shown percentage. It could. But I haven't felt the game is cheap even when something goes bad multiple times in a row.

My biggest complaint with the game is the free turn aliens get each time I discover them...seriously, this is a turn based game. Aliens should not be able to move on my turn. I can understand Reaction Fire, but this movement is bullshit. My soldiers don't get to move into cover when an alien comes into view...this really pisses me of...I know it happens before it happens, but I still am annoyed that much every time, that I want to quit the game...it's just so arbitrarily unfair...

(There are other asymmetries in the game, all stacked against the player, but the above one is what aggravates me the most)

Llil:

Do you remember those times when your 40% shots hit 5 times in a row? And how about the time when you managed to make that 5% shot?

No, but that could just be because I have a "Any % chance lower than 50 is an automatic failure/isn't worth taking" policy on this sort of game.

Now, I don't know if the game actually has some sort of hidden calculations besides the shown percentage. It could.

Well I know the older X-Com games only displayed the accuracy of the "Shot type" (Snap, Aimed etc.) without factoring in any of the other things that affect accuracy.

Aeshi:

No, but that could just be because I have a "Any % chance lower than 50 is an automatic failure/isn't worth taking" policy on this sort of game.

Fair enough. However, it is actually how people feel about random chance. Failing when there's a 90% chance to succeed really does hurt more. That's why some games skew the shown percentages to make them feel "more right", even though it really just makes showing the percentages in the first place kind of pointless.

Something like if the game shows a 70% chance to hit, the game actually gives closer to a 90% chance. Or if the enemy has a 20% dodge chance, the actual chance is something like 5%. It's because a high number means "it should hit".

Well I know the older X-Com games only showed the accuracy of the "Shot type" (Snap, Aimed etc.) and didn't factor in any of the other things that affect accuracy.

I guess someone would have to go digging around the game files to see what's really going on. In the original X-Com it was also possible to hit something else even if the die roll says "miss". That's one thing I miss a little in the new game.

Llil:

Well I know the older X-Com games only showed the accuracy of the "Shot type" (Snap, Aimed etc.) and didn't factor in any of the other things that affect accuracy.

I guess someone would have to go digging around the game files to see what's really going on. In the original X-Com it was also possible to hit something else even if the die roll says "miss". That's one thing I miss a little in the new game.

That would certainly make things quite interesting, ricochets or enemies "dodging" in to a round that would otherwise miss. Hmmm

Panicking is tied to will.
A soldier with 100+ will will practically never panic, while a rookie with under 50 will likely do it if they see someone take huge damage near them, or if they take that damage themselves, or if they see someone die. It functions sort of like a weak mind-affecting attack, so the mind shield actually prevents panicking as well. Additionally, soldiers recieve a permanent decrease to their will if they get critically injured (as in when they have to get stabilized or revived). Soldiers that have gone down a few times are more likely to be nervous wrecks. Also, training rookies from scratch while you have the will boosting training helps reducing panic attacks. Also helps with making stupid powerful psionics. 50% mind control chance on an ethereal? Yes please.

KissmahArceus:

That would certainly make things quite interesting, ricochets or enemies "dodging" in to a round that would otherwise miss. Hmmm

It's because of how the old game handled projectiles. It created a separate object and sent it flying towards the target. Then based on the "to hit" -roll, it gave the projectile's path an agle in a random direction. A "hit" would mean the path doesn't change, and a "bad miss" would change the angle a lot. After that the game just let the projectile fly until it exited the map or hit something, intended target or not.

Because the new game doesn't do anything like this, you don't have to be careful when firing into a crowd like before. And that's a bit of a shame.

Maybe someone will mod it in.

Those are two of the biggest issues I have as well, aside from some very questionable hit% rates.

(I'm doing simple statistical analysis on attacks and hit%.
Without savescumming, I am recording each %chance and whether the attack hits or not.
I've got 60 out of the initial 100 I'm recording, and so far, it's looking HORRIBLY SKEWED. It could still "normalize" within the 40 or so remaining attacks.)

i)

Hardcore_gamer:

Even worse is when they panic and shoot one of your other teammates for no reason. This mechanic should either be fixed or removed from the game completely.

Allies fragging teammates out of panic is beyond fucking retarded.
It makes no sense, barring alien mind control, which itself is an entirely different effect from Panic already.

It needs to be patched out and reworked.

ii)

I honestly get the gist of what they were trying to accomplish here: Enemy ambushes and reinforcements. But what it usually amounts to is the enemy getting a free turn that completely eliminates a round of strategy.

As a result of this BS, I CONSTANTLY have to leave members on Overwatch just to have a shot at killing the Bullshit Reinforcements* before they get their free turn to sodomize my back line. I've lost Escort Missions because of this idiocy.

(*Inspired by Fire Emblem)

Really, if I had the option of ambushing enemy units, I'd call this element fair.
They get to fight dirty, you get to fight dirty. This is war.

But no, only THEY get to fight dirty. You get to stand there like you have brain damage while they freely run into cover. (unless you started with a Sniper on Overwatch with Squadsight, and this BS single-handedly makes Squadsight the single best skill in the game).

Llil:

KissmahArceus:

It's because of how the old game handled projectiles. It created a separate object and sent it flying towards the target. Then based on the "to hit" -roll, it gave the projectile's path an agle in a random direction. A "hit" would mean the path doesn't change, and a "bad miss" would change the angle a lot. After that the game just let the projectile fly until it exited the map or hit something, intended target or not.

Because the new game doesn't do anything like this, you don't have to be careful when firing into a crowd like before. And that's a bit of a shame.

Maybe someone will mod it in.

I hope so, although I'm playing Xbox so I won't see the benefit but I dream of the day when I can afford a new PC, my current one struggles with Fallout.

The FIRST Fallout...

Hardcore_gamer:

You don't even know half of it! Psi-soldiers may even panic after they *succesfully* damage a a regular muton unit (but not muton elites) with a mindblast. This glitch can be reproduced quite often.
Yes this shit needs to be patched.

Strangely enough this hasn't happened to my game yet and I'm in the endgame now, but it still sucks.

Yet despite all this and more bugs, like shoots going through alien hulls at certain odd angles (and not even anywhere near an opening), I still love the game!
I haven't been this entertained by a new game in a long time. Firaxis must fix their game because I want to replay it on ironman some day.

Better encounter design would also be welcome.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked