Legacy of Kain - who remembers the awesome series?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

the only one i played was was Soul Reaver back on the ps1, i thought it was pretty fun, at that point the combat system was pretty sweet, though i have to say the ps1 era npc's creep me out to no end how they just stand there accecpting anything and everything silently.... this games npc's showed that far more prominently than some of the other games i played with them in it...

Remember?

Sir, the only one i DON'T have is Blood Omen 2, AND i believe its one of the best story's to ever grace a game series.

RT:
I liked the story, but gameplay kinda sucked. Blood Omen 2 was more of a gameplay sequel to Soul Reaver 1, with cool bosses and the world being more immersive.

I'll have to make the time to play BO2. In the past I've only come across ppl who didn't like it, But going from this thread it seems to be a love-hate game. Given that it's in old Nosgoth and isn't a SR game I should be more comfortable playing as Kain. I might see SR2 and 3 in a new light too.

I've only played the demo of the first Soul Reaver, but I've seen the compilation of the cutscenes of all the games and am thoroughly engrossed with the story line and characters. I love it! It's like watching Shakespeare, but with vampires and time travel (i.e. infinitely better) It's really depressing that the perception of what a modern vampire looks like is like something from Twilight, when Kain possesses more badassery and depth than all of those debaucheries of vampire folklore have put together.

EDIT: It also has one of the best intros to a video game I've ever seen:

I spent a lot of time as an adolescent playing through soul reaver and then subsequently soul reaver 2. Fantastic games, there storylines and voice work were superb. Ah, I miss slaying vampires,demons, and humans alike.

Given SquareEnix's penchant for releasing or rebooting anything even remotely popular, I wouldn't be surprised if they did bring out more LoK.

Its funny. Everyone forgets the much maligned Silicon Knights made Blood Omen 1.

Legacy of Kain series has the best voice acting ever done in a game. The story in SR1, 2, and Defiance was amazing.

sadly the gameplay got more and more boring as the series went on....which is kinda unusual. It was a game where all i was interested in was the cutscenes.

This is my most favourite cutscene from a game ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMrou_zJNtc

From the greatest series of all time. Pitty they dont continue it!

As my gaze scanned the titles of topics, i found my attention drawn to the top of the popular forum posts. Normally, such topics were rarely relevant to my interests or contained the whims and petty grievances suffered by the mortals of this world we call the Escapist. And yet, here i was, drawn to the topic by the utterance of a tale i had become entranced by almost eons ago:

The Legacy of Kain, a fable i was most intimately familiar with. A story that was as infinitely fantastic in it's scope as it was complicated and compelling just like the characters that inhabited it's often unfair world of Nozgoth. I knew then that i had been given a choice. To continue on with my uneventful day and browsing through tedium, or to post and open myself to the very nexus of the fandom for a series long since cruelly forgotten by gamerkind..

And before you ask yes, i did say this all out aloud in my best simon templeman impersonation whilst typing...i swear if they don't get him and Michael back to voice Kain and Raziel in the reboot, shit is gonna hit the fan.

I'm very sure that what I'm about to say next will be considered blasphemy on this thread, but here goes...

I have never played any of the Legacy of Kain games.

Not because I have something against them, but because I'm never sure where to start. Given how many of you have been praising the games I'm convinced I missed out on something great.

So, for when I want to play them in the future: What is the first game in the series? I need to know where to start.

Dreadman75:
I'm very sure that what I'm about to say next will be considered blasphemy on this thread, but here goes...

Not because I have something against them, but because I'm never sure where to start. Given how many of you have been praising the games I'm convinced I missed out on something great.

So, for when I want to play them in the future: What is the first game in the series? I need to know where to start.

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen

This was the first one. You should always play games in the order they where developed, not in the chronological order of the series, as order they are developed, is for the view of someone who has played the previous games.

Also, Legacy of Kain won't get a sequel, remake/reboot sure. But unlikely any more iterations of the original series, as the writer gave her blessing and closed the book officially on this story.

Dreadman75:

In release order:

Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain (that was the name first)

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

LoK: Soul Reaver 2

Blood Omen 2

LoK: Defiance

LoK: The Dark Prophesy (cancelled)

-----

The main voice cast consisted of:

Simon Templeman (Kain)

Tony Jay (Mortanius, The Elder God)

Michael Bell (Raziel)

Richard Doyle (Moebius)

--------

And for the fans, there is this website with all the shit you could EVER dream of the series:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/

It has data on what the canceled game would have look like and concept art.

jhoroz:
I've only played the demo of the first Soul Reaver, but I've seen the compilation of the cutscenes of all the games and am thoroughly engrossed with the story line and characters. I love it! It's like watching Shakespeare, but with vampires and time travel (i.e. infinitely better) It's really depressing that the perception of what a modern vampire looks like is like something from Twilight, when Kain possesses more badassery and depth than all of those debaucheries of vampire folklore have put together.

EDIT: It also has one of the best intros to a video game I've ever seen:

That year had very nice CGI cutscenes, like this other one from Dungeon Keeper 2:

Infernai:
As my gaze scanned the titles of topics, i found my attention drawn to the top of the popular forum posts. Normally, such topics were rarely relevant to my interests or contained the whims and petty grievances suffered by the mortals of this world we call the Escapist. And yet, here i was, drawn to the topic by the utterance of a tale i had become entranced by almost eons ago:

The Legacy of Kain, a fable i was most intimately familiar with. A story that was as infinitely fantastic in it's scope as it was complicated and compelling just like the characters that inhabited it's often unfair world of Nozgoth. I knew then that i had been given a choice. To continue on with my uneventful day and browsing through tedium, or to post and open myself to the very nexus of the fandom for a series long since cruelly forgotten by gamerkind..

And before you ask yes, i did say this all out aloud in my best simon templeman impersonation whilst typing...i swear if they don't get him and Michael back to voice Kain and Raziel in the reboot, shit is gonna hit the fan.

We still dont know who could POSSIBLY replace Tony Jay. Who could be the most british-est and most baritone-eske person available in the industry that could have THIS voice?

Selvec:
snip

DioWallachia:
snip

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the info, I'll be sure to play through this series when I have some free time!

Dreadman75:

Erm, this is a trick question. The "best game" (if any) wouldn't be the best place to start. Here is the chronological order (by release)

Blood Omen
Soul Reaver
Soul Reaver 2
Blood Omen 2
Defiance

I suggest you play them in that order but you are best starting at either BO (although it is a bit dated and hard-ish to find) or SR (it's on GOG, so, yeah). You can also easily skip over BO2 and read the plot synopsis. For example LOKFanatic has an excellent one (although it covers the whole series).

All the games, aside from BO, are on GOG. You can also get them, I think, on PSN. Well, at least BO and SR for sure.

If you wish to save money, you can even read the plot guide I gave you and/or watch all cutscenes on YouTube - the ones from SR->SR2->Defiance form a whole cohesive arc and you'll need a little bit of backstory from BO1 (the cutscenes there don't tell everything). To be fair, I think the most compelling reason to get the games is that it may convince Square Enix to release a follow up.

Try using DosBox to run an old copy of the game you acquire, by whatever means you acquire it.

I played every one of those games from the first one, Blood Omen all the way through to Defiance. I loved the voice actors, the story (though I felt a few games let the pacing slide in the middle there) but overall an extremely engaging and fantastic romp through an epic gothic world.

I was crushed that they never went on after Defiance because the ending, I thought, was leading into some great battle that you would take on as Kain with a fully powered Soul Reaver. Now of course, they say reboot.

Man that is frustrating.

Selvec:
Try using DosBox to run an old copy of the game you acquire, by whatever means you acquire it.

Ironically, Blood Omen works just fine with all the versions i played thus far. The only game that REFUSES to work (on the PC at least) is Soul Reaver, the very first game of the series back in my even OLDER PC.

No matter what i do, it seems that i should emulate the game on a Playstation or Sega Dreamcast rather than try to make it work on XP.

By the way, what version of each game is superior in what console/computer?

The LoK/SR series is still ranked within my top 5 game series of all time, and always will. The dark, yet immensely engaging story, with expertly-voiced monologues, the grotesque yet endearing character designs, the simple, everything about the series is just amazing. I would consume the Heart of Darkness and go on a crusade against Man in a heartbeat if it meant I could get more of this series.

DioWallachia:

Selvec:

Ironically, Blood Omen works just fine with all the versions i played thus far. The only game that REFUSES to work (on the PC at least) is Soul Reaver, the very first game of the series back in my even OLDER PC.

No matter what i do, it seems that i should emulate the game on a Playstation or Sega Dreamcast rather than try to make it work on XP.

By the way, what version of each game is superior in what console/computer?

Dude, there are fanpatches for SR, that make it work even under 7. As for versions:
BO1 - tie. PS1 version has the faster gameplay, but ungodly loading times. PC version's gameplay is slower, but loading times are nonexistent.
SR1 - Dreamcast version, full stop. PS1 version is second. PC version is the worst, with less graphics FX, than even on PS1 and a lot of music cut. Dreamcast version has better textures for everything and new higher-poly models for Kain and Raziel.
SR2 - PS2, but not by large. It just has some bonus materials that were cut from the PC version.
BO2 - GameCube is the best, PC is close second, PS2 is the worst. PC version had some graphic effects cut, but is the best PC version of a LoK game. Also, there's a widescreen fanpatch for it. PS2 version is said to be glitchy.
Defiance - a tie, all versions seem to be very well. But! PC version has a widescreen fanpatch and some texture mods.

TrevHead:

RT:
I liked the story, but gameplay kinda sucked. Blood Omen 2 was more of a gameplay sequel to Soul Reaver 1, with cool bosses and the world being more immersive.

I'll have to make the time to play BO2. In the past I've only come across ppl who didn't like it, But going from this thread it seems to be a love-hate game. Given that it's in old Nosgoth and isn't a SR game I should be more comfortable playing as Kain. I might see SR2 and 3 in a new light too.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=69194
Here's a link that'll put you in the mood. Actually, I'd like all BO2 haters to read it.

Vae Victis!
I still remember my father watching over my shoulder as I played,
"this is not a game for a young girl" he gave me the discs back a year later >.<

Rebooting with a god of war style combat sounds good to me, as long as they keep the excellent voice acting and Zelda like explore/puzzle

I played Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the first time about two years after its release and it remains my favorite of the series. I've been a fan of the series ever since. I hope they make another game or a Blood Omen remake. Or maybe just Blood Omen 3.
I bought Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light just to be able to play the Kain and Raziel DLC. I still haven't found the time to try it.

Also: Blood Omen 2 is better than both Soul Reaver games!

I liked the series, although I never played Defiance or Blood Omen 1/2, both Soul Reaver games were awesome.
(PS1 and PC respectively)

I didn't understand the story that much (in SR2, SR1 is a bit simplier with the story), maybe because I'm quite dumb for these things and I just didn't bother to research a bit more, but the gameplay in both games (yup, SR2 too) was fantastic, especially in SR1.

I love Soul Reaver, and I liked Blood Omen quite a bit though it got pretty difficult in some spots. I hated the moon doors though.

I tolerated SR2 and BO2, and Defiance was good in spite of some pretty awful gameplay and repetitive level design. The plot carried it for me, just like in the previous 2 games.

Now I'm all for more LoK games, but I don't want ANYTHING from God of War etc in it.

I don't want "epic boss fights" in the sense that most people are using the term. I don't consider the boss fights in games like God of War/Lords of Shadow or the final boss of SH:Downpour to be "epic."

I consider them interactive cutscenes/set pieces and BORING completely utterly BORING.

I consider Ornstein & Smough from Dark Souls to be an epic boss fight. I consider Demise in Skyward Sword to be an epic boss fight. The Family Master in Fatal Frame as well. Even the final boss of Plants vs. Zombies is an epic fight because it tests YOUR skills/strategy and not how quickly you can figure out the precise steps and button prompts you need to trigger the next cutscene and the next boss phase.

Like in level 1 of LoS the Warg will not die unless you use the stake. You miss the prompt and it heals itself and the EXACT SAME PATTERN repeats itself verbatim. Its like I'm playing an infinitely more forgiving Dragon's Lair. I have more fun fighting the werewolf mobs because I can take them out MY WAY, but when the boss comes its the developers way or not at all.

Maybe that's why I never liked Punch Out very much. It was basically one long QTE only the prompts weren't displayed onscreen.

I just like bosses that have health bars you need to take down with any means you are able to, and not "smack it until you see a button prompt. Repeat 2 or 3 more times."

I mean it was fine that you had to kill Raziel's brothers in a particular way, because it was well established that just wailing on vampires was a futile effort and each of them had a resistance to some of the usual methods of extirpation. It was like a puzzle, and it was fine as it was a welcome break from all the FUCKING BLOCK PUSHING PUZZLES.

I guess I'm having a difficult time explaining precisely what I don't like about GoW style boss fights. Its hard to separate just one aspect of the series from the totality of my dislike for it as a whole. I just don't like boss fights that feel like minigames instead of a test of your skills. Cutscenes where I beat the shit out something that interrupt me beating the shit out of something kinda break the flow and are unnecessary. Having a Fatality move on EVERY mob kinda gets old after you kill like 5 of them too.

The gameplay, while entertaining, did have its fair share of flaws, although they tended to decrease in number the further the series advanced.
In the end though, Legacy of Kain remains one of my all-time favourite game series for its story, voice-acting and music. Soooo many epic moments...

Alas, I don't believe we'll ever truly see the story finished. The sequel to Defiance was, after all, scrapped a few months into the development process. Also, I'm not sure if anyone could ever be a worthy replacement for the godly voice of Tony Jay, rest his soul.
Rumours of reboots and remakes keep popping up, but I don't think it's going to happen, and I'm not even sure I'd want it to... maybe if they prettied up all the graphics to current standards and refurbished the gameplay a bit, but kept all the original voice tracks.

I was just playing Blood Omen recently before I got derailed for October. I still remember finding that little gem forever ago (around the time of Final Fantasy VII to give you an idea) and it really satisfying young, and very gothic, me. I actually recently grabbed the whole series (except BO2... Fuck that game... I loved the setting but the game play and the story both sucked) through GoG so I will play it all again soon.

It's funny you should say M-Rated Zelda as that was EXACTLY what I was thinking as I was playing it. Vampire Zelda you might say, I love how the ending gave you the choice (spoiler, though not really given that if you played Soul Reaver it was the very first plot point) to save the world by sacrificing yourself or damn it.

I'm still waiting for another RPG to let me do that...

Some criticisms of the gameplay of soul reaver 2, and while this may be true, how the narrative and gameplay intertwined made for a very enjoyable experience. The following cutscenes and the gameplay that went between them is still one of my favourite moments in the series

Thank you OP. This is a series I have loved since I was a wee lad. Amazing voice acting and astounding writing.

RT:

TrevHead:

RT:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=69194
Here's a link that'll put you in the mood. Actually, I'd like all BO2 haters to read it.

OMG, laughing so hard now. It's "above average LoK title"? Above average of what? What is worse than BO2? Yes, I agree that the boss fights are cool, and so are the Dark Gifts. The stealth kills are brutally fulfilling to watch. That doesn't mean that much, though. What, blocking is well done? Yes, let's say it is. The fights still feel like unecessary repetition of "hit, hit, block, repeat" from both parties.

"Theorizing about Vorador" as a merit is pure BS. It is a huge plot point that he dies and leaves Kain as the last vampire. Not to mention that vampires don't really have a habit of returning from the dead. With notable exceptions, of course, but that only makes them notable.

the reason to the fact why the Sarafan r giving glyph energy to the poor - the Sarafan Lord just want to kill them all. Some small details maybe, but they add to the story.

Woah, that's, like, really deep man. It's like...well, like moustache-twirling villain #50238. Although, I really liked what Daniel Cabuco said here - oh, what the Sarafan Lord could have been...

Like Turel, for example. He appered in the end of Defiance, though we do not know how or why - Raziel still needed to kill him and the developers did not know how to make it happen . We can only theorize that he was brought to the past by Aizmuth, but the series did not explained it.

Yeah, bold emphasis mine. We are able to theorise. Is that too hard to see? Here Turel explains something - being displaced, and it actually sounds a lot like the end of SR1/beginning of SR2 and the time chamber. Also he is deposited in Avernus. Throw in the hylden and so on. All clues we can use. Let's compare it with what we know about how Vorador could have resurrected:

Nothing

Yes, this is the entire thing. The only thing that anyone tells us about, ahem, A HUGE FUCKING DEAL THERE[1] is Kain just threatening Vorador once. That doesn't lead to theorising since there is nothing to use.

But that post doesn't even mention the internal lore inconsistencies, the creative sterility when it comes to names, the other gaping holes unexplained things in the plot.

Now, were the game as it was planned originally - a standalone title, it would have been above average. When put in context of LoK, though it's not. There is no other title BO2 is above in the entire line.

EDIT: Oh, right, I missed the last sentence of that post.

All in all, I think Blood Omen, while being the weakest of the series

Wouldn't that mean it's not "above average for LoK" as the poster initially claimed? Well, it's as consistent as BO2, I'll give it that.

[1] Seriously, that is a monumental point - the last vampire to die suddenly has a head on his shoulders

-double post. ignore.-

Yes, best voice acting in the "biz" in my opinion!

See my Profile Picture?

I have Blood Omen on PS3 (Playstation Classics), Blood Omen 2 (sorta wish I didn't) on PC, Soul Reaver on PS3 (classics again).

I still have my PS2 copy of Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance but no means to play them. I wait patiently for them to come up on the PSN store, but I might get their PC ports instead (they are shitty ports unfortunately).

One of the top contenders for best series in my expansive library of games.

DoPo:

But that post doesn't even mention the internal lore inconsistencies, the creative sterility when it comes to names, the other gaping holes unexplained things in the plot.

Now, were the game as it was planned originally - a standalone title, it would have been above average. When put in context of LoK, though it's not. There is no other title BO2 is above in the entire line.

I think we might have talked about this before at some point, but the writer for the Soul Reaver series (Amy Hennig) wasn't involved with BO 2. This is why it feels so disconnected from the Series. A different writer penned it but couldn't get the feel of it. Also, didn't know about the Stand Alone thing, makes sense sorta (A spinoff to the franchise to take it in a different, less lore heavy direction for new comers would have worked and might have been interesting).

As people have said before, the First Blood Omen wasn't exactly an exemplary piece of writing either. But it was a simple narrative overall that became a focal point for a grander plot that Amy Hennig was the mastermind of. LoK became an enthralling experience during the Soul Reaver saga (which she had pretty extensive creative control over), which used the narrative started in Blood Omen to create a twisting narrative of mystery, intrigue and highly character driven plot lines. The Gothic Fantasy art direction is still amazing even in todays gritty standards.

Blood Omen 2 is the worst instalment, not because of gameplay or misplaced fan rage, but due to how far removed from LoK it felt. The LoK series has always been substandard on the mechanical department, but it has never been detrimental to the experience. BO2 lacks the narrative experience so all it is is a substandard action game.

I've heard all the theories about how BO2 can still work canonically, but it just doesn't gel with the experience I had from the rest of the series.

Also, I really can't stand the art direction in BO2. It was ugly looking even for its time. Kains face just looks wrong:

His design, though explained away by lore, still looks better in the previous generations graphic settings:

Heck, even classic Kain looks better (ignoring the seriously outdated 3D modelling from that generation):

And Nosgoth just feels too... mundane, in BO 2. Even with it's limited palette, BO 1 was more fantastical in its presentation.

The games were awesome, especially the story and voice acting, Simon Templeman's best work was as Kain I think.

Also René Auberjonois as Vorador, so good as well. Not to mention the elder god and mobieus and all the others.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked