So... Half Life 3...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Vigormortis:

They're usually the ones that start the weekly, "Half-Life/Valve/Steam suck" threads. You know the ones.

No, I don't know the ones. Perhaps you could show me an example of these supposedly weekly occurrences?

VictorSaffron:
I'm hoping we'll get to see Corporal Shephard, or if he going be a playable character in the next game.

Just popped in to say this this this this this this this

Oh how it amuses me to see yet again another thread about longing for HL3, i firmly believe that if it's made, it will be completely and utterly shit. It might be a good game, but it won't be the Messiah of all games that people will expect it to be.

Valve released Counter-Strike: Global Offensive just this August. They've also been putting a lot of resources into DOTA 2, and are probably fairly close (ie: within three months) to releasing it after a ridiculously long beta period.

Okay I'll admit I forgot about CS:GO, just goes to show how big an impact that game made on me given that I totally forgot it existed, even then Valve doesn't exactly have a schedule choke full of must have games. CS:GO is still being out played by it's much much older CS Source and CS brothers.

DOTA2 on the other hand does seem to be racking up the numbers but what degree is Valve involved in that? Didn't they just hire the guys who made it, in which case, Valve being Valve the only folk who are working on it are the folk who have always been working on it, would explain why it has been in Beta for so long.

Saying that still doesn't explain why Valve are wasting time on Steam for Linux and augmented reality hardware.

Laughing Man:

Valve released Counter-Strike: Global Offensive just this August. They've also been putting a lot of resources into DOTA 2, and are probably fairly close (ie: within three months) to releasing it after a ridiculously long beta period.

Okay I'll admit I forgot about CS:GO, just goes to show how big an impact that game made on me given that I totally forgot it existed, even then Valve doesn't exactly have a schedule choke full of must have games. CS:GO is still being out played by it's much much older CS Source and CS brothers.

DOTA2 on the other hand does seem to be racking up the numbers but what degree is Valve involved in that? Didn't they just hire the guys who made it, in which case, Valve being Valve the only folk who are working on it are the folk who have always been working on it, would explain why it has been in Beta for so long.

Saying that still doesn't explain why Valve are wasting time on Steam for Linux and augmented reality hardware.

A recent fan tour of Valve actually showed that a majority of Valve's staff were working on DOTA 2. They really do have a shitload of people working on it, so I have no idea why it's taking them so long. Of course, what's most likely is that the reason there were so many people working on it during the tour is that Valve is hoping to finish up development enough to put a release tag on the game and send it out the door (I have nothing to back this up, but I think it makes sense that more people would join a project as it's wrapping up).

And Valve really doesn't have very many people working on Steam for Linux. Although I can't find exact numbers, my impression was that Steam for Linux was only being worked on by twenty-some people, out of the close to 300 people that work at Valve. And I honestly think any hardware stuff is also a fairly small team.

My theory is that the reason Half-Life 3 has been taking so long hasn't been that they haven't had people working on it, but that they haven't figured out what they wanted to do with it. That's what happened with Team Fortress 2 (still Valve's longest in development game), and I honestly think that they've gone through at least two or three different iterations of Half-Life 3 at this point. Then, there's the fact that we know Valve has been working on a new engine, and I'm sure they wanted to take advantage of it.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm as mad as anybody that a new Half-Life game hasn't happened yet, but my anger is mostly directed at the lack of clear communication regarding the project from Valve, and not the fact that they've worked on some other projects in the meantime.

Meaning of Karma:

Vigormortis:

They're usually the ones that start the weekly, "Half-Life/Valve/Steam suck" threads. You know the ones.

No, I don't know the ones. Perhaps you could show me an example of these supposedly weekly occurrences?

Oddly enough, they've died down the past month or so. But over the course of my time here at the Escapist; since 2007; I've seen at least one such thread roughly every week.

Glance back through the forum history, you'll see quite a few.

Seeing that you joined in August, I'm not surprised you haven't noticed them yet. Given enough time, you'll start to see them with regularity.

Laughing Man:

Actually, CS:GO is in the upper tiers of most played games on Steam. Granted, it has yet to top CS:S and CS 1.6, but it hasn't been out that long either. A lot of players haven't even attempted to transition yet.

As for Dota 2, it's true. Valve hired IceFrog and Eul. The former being the current dev working on the Warcraft 3 mod, and the latter being the man who created the game.

However, they are not the only people working on the game. A large number of Valve designers, programmers, artists, and engineers are working on the game as well. For all intents and purposes, the "original" Dota team comprises all of a fraction of the Dota 2 team.

It still fascinates me that people think, just because Valve hires talented programmers, that Valve somehow doesn't make any of the games they release.

Anyway, on to your last point: I really don't see how having a small group of engineers working on porting Steam to Linux and designing augmented reality technology is a "waste of time". They employ around three hundred people. Having all of perhaps a dozen of them working on those two projects is hardly wasting resources.

If we do finally get a Half-Life 3, I'm hoping it uses a new engine (as Half-Life games generally pioneer Valve's new engines), but that may have the unfortunate side effect of rendering my PC too obsolete to play it.
As for the content, I'm hoping we get to murder a few Advisors. More than a few. I want those tossers to fall in numbers, and I want to be the one responsible for it.
Exploring the Borealis would rock too, of course. The connections to Portal could just pile up.

NoneOfYourBusiness:
Oh how it amuses me to see yet again another thread about longing for HL3, i firmly believe that if it's made, it will be completely and utterly shit. It might be a good game, but it won't be the Messiah of all games that people will expect it to be.

And amuses me how the actual people who wait for HL don't expect it to be that supposed "Messiah". So far, the most people who've talked about the next HL instalment and a pinnacle of all games, are people like you who like to remind others that it wouldn't be. So is it like a urban myth or something? "Those wacky fans think the new Half-Life would be the second coming and worship it"? Because as far as I've saw the actual fans don't really think so and they don't worship anything. What I do see is people highly anticipating the sequel and wishing it was released. Not attributing any sort of divinity to it.

BeerTent:

VictorSaffron:
I'm hoping we'll get to see Corporal Shephard, or if he going be a playable character in the next game.

Considering, I believe, he's owned by Gearbox, this is pretty unlikely. We got lucky with Barny because that was all of the security guard's names in HL1. Gearbox simply expanded on that particular character and enabled his escape at the end of Blue Shift.

According to the Wiki, Shepard was "[praised] for his ability to "adapt and survive against all odds" which "rather reminds [the G-Man] of [himself]." If we do see him again, it'd very likely be as an antagonist.

I'm more interested in the engine. HL3 will likely come during, or shortly after the release of S2. I theorize that HL3 will have an extremely strong focus on Portals, and perhaps another GLADDOS, as, well... The Aperture ship...

Yeah, with Source 2 confirmed we can only imagine what's up next. Also, I'm wondering if Valve is waiting for the new generation of consoles(PlayStation 4, Xbox ???) to release Half-Life 3?

DoPo:

NoneOfYourBusiness:

And amuses me how the actual people who wait for HL don't expect it to be that supposed "Messiah". So far, the most people who've talked about the next HL instalment and a pinnacle of all games, are people like you who like to remind others that it wouldn't be. So is it like a urban myth or something? "Those wacky fans think the new Half-Life would be the second coming and worship it"? Because as far as I've saw the actual fans don't really think so and they don't worship anything. What I do see is people highly anticipating the sequel and wishing it was released. Not attributing any sort of divinity to it.

Ninja'd, the CoD fanboy crowd go on about how we see Half-Life as the second coming of Christ, WHERE THE FUCK ARE THESE FANBOYS?! I GET ONE OF THESE FUCKING THREADS EVERY FUCKING MONTH!

After having led a revolution against an alien occupation of planet Earth, I think that the only place the series can go from here, is in outer space.

Make it happen, Valve.

Dr. McD:

DoPo:

NoneOfYourBusiness:

Ninja'd, the CoD fanboy crowd go on about how we see Half-Life as the second coming of Christ, WHERE THE FUCK ARE THESE FANBOYS?! I GET ONE OF THESE FUCKING THREADS EVERY FUCKING MONTH!

I wonder this as well. Most people I've talked to just think it's going to be a well written, well designed shooter that wraps up all the loose threads that the previous games created.

On reflection, compared to cod, that might as well be the messiah, so there's that.

the third episode is currently developed by puppies.

they are one of the worst employees you can imagine but somehow they get around being fired
and no one knows why...

Weren't both Half Life games also the first games to use the most modern iteration of Valves source engine at the time?

If that's the pattern so far, I would assume Half Life 3 would be announced around the same time as Source 2.0

Syzygy23:
Weren't both Half Life games also the first games to use the most modern iteration of Valves source engine at the time?

No, Source was developed alongside HL2, so there is no actual way HL1 used it. Yes, HL1 was later ported into Source (and much later, we got Black Mesa) but it certainly wasn't among the the first to use it. Technically, the first non Valve game that used Source was Bloodlines.

DoPo:

Syzygy23:

No, Source was developed alongside HL2, so there is no actual way HL1 used it. Yes, HL1 was later ported into Source (and much later, we got Black Mesa) but it certainly wasn't among the the first to use it. Technically, the first non Valve game that used Source was Bloodlines.

I think he means that Half-Life was the first game to use Goldsource, the precursor to Source. He is correct.

Redingold:

DoPo:

Syzygy23:

I think he means that Half-Life was the first game to use Goldsource, the precursor to Source. He is correct.

1. HL1 runs on, essentially, the Quake engine. Heavily modded but still the Quake engine.
2. Goldsource, as a name, literally did not exist at the time of HL1. It was created around Source just to make it easier (read: shorter, so you don't have to say "Half-Life[ 1]'s engine") to talk about the two.

The two engines have nothing other in common than both being used to power a HL game.

I loved the Orange Box back in the day, but looking at a timeline like this-
http://kotaku.com/5952823/kotaku-timeline-half+life-2-episode-three
I find it merciful to quell your hopes sooner rather than later.

The wait for HL2E3/HL3 is precisely the reason I haven't played any of the games yet. And I'm not going to, either, until Valve either posts a trailer with a release date or states that there's absolutely no chance that they'll ever continue the series, because I know that I'll just share in the internet's collective longing and misery until that happens.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked