iOS game lets you beat your boyfriend

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

A stupid game is being critisized. Good.

GunsmithKitten:

Grape_Bullion:
Bracing myself for cries of why this game is misogynistic in nature. Probably starting with "Is this what men seriously think women think about doing to their boyfriend? That's so sexist" or "A woman hitting a man? This game is implying women aren't capable of domestic violence outside of a video game, this is beyond sexist".

Umm, so far, the only people to suggest that has been you. The condemnation has been pretty universal from both sides of the gender fence.

Forgot to assert that it was maximum over-sarcasm. My mistake.

This is yet another case of "This game only has a negative effect if I CHOOSE to allow it to have a negative effect"

There is literally zero things wrong with this game, it has NO effect on anything or anybody unless someone CHOOSES to have it cause a problem. No one is harmed, no gender hated on. It's a random piece of digital code for random shits and giggles

This is sick. As a former victim of physically abusive women, it saddens me that this game exists and that anyone still considers this an acceptable form of humor in our society.

You know it's bad when even Jezebel, the site which polled its userbase and found that 60% of the women there were guilty of domestic abuse and then passed it off as a joke, can't stand the thing.

Rex Dark:
What is this? A game about S&M?

Considering that it ignores the three safety standards of S&M (Safe Sane and Consensual) no, it is not.

Yes, because domestic abuse is so fucking hilarious.

I almost spat that at my monitor, such was my disgust.

Glad to see the response is almost unanimously negative though.

Perhaps we males everywhere could use this to study the enemies' tactics and formulate countermeasures! Oh and this game is bad and there are double standards and stuff. The best way for this game to die is for no one to play it or even pay it any attention. But as long as people don't take it too seriously or as, God forbid, an actual tool to learn how to deal with a boyfriend, I see no real issue with it.

BathorysGraveland:

Sir Pootis:
Um, Unless fetish-y describes choking your spouse while driving, I'm going to go with no.

Make no mistake, my friend. Somewhere, out there, there would be a video of some girl choking a guy while driving, and there would be quite the number of guys who would get turned the fuck on by it.

Or we see a news story about a woman who tried that on her man and he got fed up and pushed her out of the car in open traffic. Either way this game is in poor taste and the creator should be shamed.

I just find this funny.

I know, I know, if it was a woman on the receiving end this game would be hurled into the fiery pits of hell, good for the goose, good for the gander, equality, blah-de-blah... I get it.

But it still makes me laugh.

This game is the definition of cheap heat.

This actually really pisses me off... I can't believe people would design a game like this and find it acceptable to put out for sale.
This also made me really angry, just be sure to watch all the way through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFAd4YdQks

GAunderrated:
Or we see a news story about a woman who tried that on her man and he got fed up and pushed her out of the car in open traffic. Either way this game is in poor taste and the creator should be shamed.

Really? ... You're really going to bring that up seriously? I think it's well established that games alone do not make one do acts like that. You don't play a shooter and get the urge to kill people, nor do you play a fighting game and feel the need to go out on the street and kick someone's arse. Unless, of course, there is something a little wrong with the person to begin with, in which you can hardly blame the game.

I'm actually going to call the sexism card, because this just plainly is one of those games.

It's in really bad taste :/, I also think that this game presents the exact same image of gaming to other people as it would if it was man on woman.

But frankly, I just don't give a fuck. I never have about sexism, I'm not sexist, I just honestly couldn't care less about any of the complaints people have about anything.

Hansen and Gretle is sexist because Hansen is the superman beating up all the chicks? Don't care.

Suggested rape in Tomb Raider? Okay, get over it.

Too many scantily clad women? Are you fucking kidding? They make men in games with equally as little clothing as females, the only time it gets ridiculous is in MMOs where the armor sets change drastically depending on genders, but that's IT.

Women are idealized in games too much? Great, once again, the same with men. The majority of them have killer abs or are close to looking like stereotypical lesbians. Again, get over it.

The promo pic is a woman choking her bf when he's driving? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Can't say I'm offended. It's dumb as shit, but with over a million apps in the store, it's pretty clear the barrier of entry isn't exactly high.

Giving it attention only helps it stand out in the cesspool.

ResonanceSD:
The promo pic is a woman choking her bf when he's driving? Seems like a bad idea to me.

is it a suicide pact?

Evil Smurf:

ResonanceSD:

is it a suicide pact?

it doesn't look like he's having fun. More like a murder-suicide.

ResonanceSD:

Evil Smurf:

ResonanceSD:

is it a suicide pact?

it doesn't look like he's having fun. More like a murder-suicide.

I don't think the game will make a killing anyway.

TizzytheTormentor:
What is with Apple putting crap like this in their store anyway?

OT: Because abuse is funny if it's female on male! (have fun never escaping that site)

I love that picture!

15 seconds

AND I HAVE FOUR NEW TABS.

Damn you. Damn you!

OT:
Uh, this is vile. Just vile. On every level. But thats ok, everyone seems to be agreed. So there is not much of discussion value here.

I can only guess this will sell badly regardless of what is said now. I can only hope the creators will give up making games after this, seeing as they seem to have little creative wit or standards.

This game is fucking stupid.
Anybody who buys it is fucking stupid.

It's anti-male. And it'd cause a shitstorm if it were inverted. And double-standards are stupid.

That's all that needed to be said.

Lunar Templar:
wow ....

really .... ?

good lord, apple really has no standards do they?

yeah they do! Can't let those subpar Adobe products on there!

If it was free, I'd download just to see what's up. I regularly play a large swap of XBL indie games in one sitting with a friend Two Best Friends Play style. No way I'd support this with my money though.

Ryan Minns:

There is literally

No one is harmed, no gender hated on.

You constantly assault and abuse a man because he's not a little mr. perfect. That's hate in it's purest form. That's glorification of abuse in the raw. this shit is not defensible.

Zhukov:
I just find this funny.

I know, I know, if it was a woman on the receiving end this game would be hurled into the fiery pits of hell, good for the goose, good for the gander, equality, blah-de-blah... I get it.

So you've not noticed that aside from a couple of people, that it's been universally by both men and women called a sexist POS and said it never should have seen the light of day?

I think stupid is the appropriate word to describe this game. There's poking fun and there's abuse and this is definitely abuse. How is choking your boyfriend while he's driving funny at all? Hopefully it gets enough negativity and disappears.

Cool! Distilled sexism poured into a game! I shall use it in many an example!

I really can't tell if this is supposed to be social commentary or a the creators just didn't see the problem with the underlying message. I'm almost curious enough to visit an official website... almost.

Astoria:
I think stupid is the appropriate word to describe this game. There's poking fun and there's abuse and this is definitely abuse. How is choking your boyfriend while he's driving funny at all? Hopefully it gets enough negativity and disappears.

Personally, I hope there's enough blowback people use it as a cautionary tale for devs to come.

Twilight_guy:
Cool! Distilled sexism poured into a game! I shall use it in many an example!

I really can't tell if this is supposed to be social commentary or a the creators just didn't see the problem with the underlying message. I'm almost curious enough to visit an official website... almost.

Given the company in question, I doubt it's satire or social commentary. I can't guarantee it, but I would put good odds on this one being played straight.

That's...sickening.

I mean, yes. There are times when I'm inclined to kick my boyfriend, but...There's a difference between giving someone on kick to the shin or whatever for doing something idiotic and wanting to beat them senseless because they have imperfections. Just...wow.

Glad to see that Jezebel site decrying this as well:

http://jezebel.com/5979986/theres-an-iphone-app-that-rewards-you-for-beating-up-your-boyfriend?post=56817037

Considering this was their stance 5 years ago:

http://jezebel.com/294383/have-you-ever-beat-up-a-boyfriend-cause-uh-we-have

There's still hope for the world maybe?

GunsmithKitten:

Ryan Minns:

There is literally

You constantly assault and abuse a man because he's not a little mr. perfect. That's hate in it's purest form. That's glorification of abuse in the raw. this shit is not defensible.

You assault pixels. Pixels are harmed. The ONLY harm it can do to someone is if they make the CHOICE to see it as harmful. NO harm is done unless you CHOOSE to be harmed.

it's identical to saying you're offended because two men are getting married one thousand miles away. it causes ZERO negative effect to ANYONE unless said person decides it's a problem and that means the problem is the person being offended, not to two guys getting married. Surely this is simple to grasp?

The game does not jump out and hit you? The game doesn't kill your mother? It doesn't make you lose your job? The last one is actually a maybe but also has to have someone CHOOSE to be harmed by it.

There are issues that cause suffering, there are also issues that cause suffering BECAUSE people make them issues. This is the latter. Ignore it and no one, not a single person is harmed? Make an issue out of it and you are making the decision to be harmed and the fault lies with you.

Ryan Minns:

GunsmithKitten:

Ryan Minns:

There is literally

You assault pixels. Pixels are harmed. The ONLY harm it can do to someone is if they make the CHOICE to see it as harmful. NO harm is done unless you CHOOSE to be harmed.

it's identical to saying you're offended because two men are getting married one thousand miles away. it causes ZERO negative effect to ANYONE unless said person decides it's a problem and that means the problem is the person being offended, not to two guys getting married. Surely this is simple to grasp?

The game does not jump out and hit you? The game doesn't kill your mother? It doesn't make you lose your job? The last one is actually a maybe but also has to have someone CHOOSE to be harmed by it.

There are issues that cause suffering, there are also issues that cause suffering BECAUSE people make them issues. This is the latter. Ignore it and no one, not a single person is harmed? Make an issue out of it and you are making the decision to be harmed and the fault lies with you.

Because as we all now, we can't criticize anything that might send a message or glorify a certain behavior, we're only allowed to get angry at things if it flat out physically assaults us.

Yea, no. Doesn't work like that.

Generic4me:

It's anti-male. And it'd cause a shitstorm if it were inverted. And double-standards are stupid.

It IS causing a shitstorm, and rightly so. I swear, have you not noticed the comments and posts on this thing?! How many people are actually praising this piece of crap?

GunsmithKitten:

Because as we all now, we can't criticize anything that might send a message or glorify a certain behavior, we're only allowed to get angry at things if it flat out physically assaults us.

Yea, no. Doesn't work like that.

Where is this message? Where is the glory? All I see is a couple of pixels you and everyone here commenting on it only heard about when it got posted. This is not glorifying ANYTHING. As a man I don't feel threatened or harmed because it's a bunch of pixels made for certain individuals and to be offended by this only causes me stress which would be the only negative thing these pixels cause.

Domestic abuse classy.

It a double standard honestly.

But whatever what can you do?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook