Have you ever refused to play because of crappy controls?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Worms-fucking-3d, a game series based almost totally on platforming,where every jump is a guess because of the controlsystem with adhd...following player...following play...SQUIRELL.

Forts and mayhem did nothing to fix the problem.
Glad the latest worms is a 2d game again.

Yes, Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 1, even being full aware that the shitty controls are intentional for the horror effect, I couldn't get over them, had trouble with moving even in non-threat situations, so after about 10 minutes of trying, I was like "fuck this, I don't care it's a cult classic, I'm not into horror games anyway".

P.S. this was after, and partially because I have played Resident Evil 4 and loved it, including the controls...

Resident Evil. I just couldn't stand it, I felt like I was nailed to a rotating disc on rails.

MidnightSt:
Yes, Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 1, even being full aware that the shitty controls are intentional for the horror effect, I couldn't get over them, had trouble with moving even in non-threat situations, so after about 10 minutes of trying, I was like "fuck this, I don't care it's a cult classic, I'm not into horror games anyway".

P.S. this was after, and partially because I have played Resident Evil 4 and loved it, including the controls...

Funny, it did the reverse for me.

The bad controls made me think Claire was a robot, so I didn't feel much of that there 'fear'.

Skyward Sword. Broke my heart that I couldn't play one of the most important (timeline-wise) games of my favourite franchise because I wanted to destroy the Wii controller any time I attempted playing the game. Had to settle for watching a youtube playthrough of the game. =\

Tayh:
I put down Overlord 2 for good after spending a half hour trying to get through the (relatively short) elevator sequence.
I bought Assassin's Creed when it came out for PC. I took one look at the controls in the manual and promptly lost all desire to play. Aborted the installation and never touched it again. Still don't know if I was justified in that decision.

I've been invited to play console splitscreen FPS games(MoH, CoD) by acquintances a couple of times. Usually get disgusted with the controls within half an hour and stop playing.

I personally thought AC controlled wonderfully on PC. I'm probably alone there, though.

Metal Gear Solid, the HD remake for the xbox..... Id love to play and enjoy this series, and it bugs me that I have basically 3 untouched games sitting on the shelf here....but those controls .....nightmares o_O

From memory, I don't think I've stopped playing because of bad controls, even if some schemes I've encountered were bad. Usually I stop because of boredom or frustrating level design, but with controls I usually learn to adapt or just stick to mechanics that work in my favour.

I guess the one control scheme that threatened my will to continue at times was in the Metal Gear Solid games. Took my a while to even get hang of holding down a shoulder and face button to aim and fire a handgun, ADS with assault rifles I think had an additional step too. Using CQC on guards would've made the game entertaining much quicker for me if the only way to figure it out wasn't through the main menu. I dunno, the games were great to play but I always found the controls particularly confusing.

Yes, this is why I refuse to play on a console. I cannot stand console controllers.

I wouldn't say refuse but they definitely make me less excited about another session or just outright irritate me, I have a Wii but only really played Smash Bros on it much since I'm not a huge fan of most of the other Wii games.

Its mostly just crappy ports that I can really relate to.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

I found other games on the Wii controlled perfectly fine as well: Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, Sin And Punishment 2, Xenoblade... never had a problem with any of them.

I bought the controller for the Wii just to make games like Xenoblade, The Last Story and Monster Hunter (especially) playable. I just can't seem to wrap my head around motion controls. And that nunchuk - wtf is that!? I don't play FPS games though - on any system - so I don't really care about those.

But damn Monster Hunter went from my character jump slashing (and missing) everything constantly (I couldn't get him to do anything else unless I was ducking) to being very skilled at using his weapon - with just an addition of a classic controller.

The only games that I like the motion control are Wii Sports and Boom Blox. Oh and curling in Mario and Sonic. There should have been more curling games on Wii...

OP: Plenty of times. Controls are WAY more important that story or graphics IMO. A game with bad controls can be unplayable. A game with a bad story or graphics is just somewhat irritating.

That Alone in the Dark game they did for the PC a couple of years back. The game punished you for not using a controller.

The nintendo DS metroid prime and Zelda games.

I can not fucking stand touch screen controls.

Need for Speed: Carbon on the Wii.

Now unlike a lot of folks in this thread, I actually don't mind the Wii's motion controls at all. For me, they can either be really fun at the best or just slightly awkward at the worst, I don't despise them at all. There's only one exception, and that is NFS: Carbon. A Wii launch title that has shittons of control schemes available... and none of them feel comfortable at all! Even the bog-standard 'holding the Wiimote on its side and tilting it back and forth like a steering wheel' just felt plain old off, and to make matters worse to access most of the menu functions you had to have the nunchuck plugged in. The nunchuck. Plugged in. While holding the Wiimote SIDEWAYS. Try to do that and tell me it feels comfortable to wrap your hand around an end of a bloody stick with a wire sticking out of it.
Spoiler Alert: it doesn't feel comfortable at all.

Looking at some of these comments on bad controls, I have 3 words for you all. Predator Concrete Jungle. That game is my most favourite PS2 video game I ever owned, but it's controls...it's controls were worse than any, ANY of the games put up un this thread. You will seriously bust a blood vessel in your eye trying to play this game on any difficulty other than easy because of the controls (and the unforgiving/borderline unfair AI).

That game has taught me how to look past nearly ALL games that have somewhat awkward controls. No seriously, Predator Concrete Jungle will make Fatal Frame III, Zelda Twilight Princess, Dark Souls, Silent Hill Homecoming, Assassin's Creed (PC), Mirror's Edge, Fable, Assassins Creed 3, Mass Effect, and all the other games mentioned on this list look great. If you don't believe me, watch Two Best Friends Play Predator Concrete Jungle, or better yet go and look at the reviews.

Yup. Other M was the first one I can remember. Alot of people hate it for its many other flaws, and no doubt they would have gotten me eventually, but it was the utterly horrific controls that made me quit. Especially the bloody stupid missile thing. UGG.

Metroid Prime 3 was a more unusual example. The first few times I played it, no problem. It wasn't ideal, but I never had too many problems. When I tried to start again a few days ago I found it almost completely unplayable. So many stupid problems. That might actually be a hardware issue though.

Day Z.

So clunky...so unintuitive. It simply wasn't fun. I still love the concept, but using ARMA II...bleh.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Sturgeon's Law applies to all consoles. Any console you pick up, 90% of the games will be crap, either due to poor controls, or other reasons.

Unless you're on the Wii, in which case, the number is much higher because they tried to add in bad motion controls to otherwise good games.

I don't get the need for apologetics.

I bought Grand Theft Auto 2 on the Playstation years ago and I haven't even beaten the first area because of controls. The controls are most similar to those from the Asteroids arcade game except you turn left and right with the DPad and press X and [] to move forward and back, so its basically driving controls for a game where you need to shoot accurately. I always die during gun fights since I have to slowly turn using the Dpad in hopes I have lined up with the enemy, which never has a problem targetting me.

Any Resident Evil before 4 I can't get into because of controls.

Any game that sets attacking to the right thumb stick. It's just awkward and I can't get used to any game that does it.

Yes and it was The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword i absolutely hate the way it controls. i just want to push buttons damn it!

Yes. Dead Space. I'm a lefty and I play on the numpad. Occasionally, a game doesn't recognize keys and the numpad. Battlefield 2, for example. Usually just one or two though and I can get by. But Dead Space didn't recognize enough numpad keys that I couldn't make it work. I tried switching to the keyboard (PL;') but that opened up a bag of hurt. I ended up pressing the wrong keys all the time and gave up.

I almost gave up on The Witcher (1) because I couldn't figure out what to do. In the tutorial level, when you first have to fight a dude, I couldn't for the life of me. I always jumped over him. Don't know if it was my fault or if they fixed it for the Enhanced Edition, but when I gave that a second chance, I had no such problems. Thank $deity.

Tayh:
I put down Overlord 2 for good after spending a half hour trying to get through the (relatively short) elevator sequence.
I bought Assassin's Creed when it came out for PC. I took one look at the controls in the manual and promptly lost all desire to play. Aborted the installation and never touched it again. Still don't know if I was justified in that decision.

I've been invited to play console splitscreen FPS games(MoH, CoD) by acquintances a couple of times. Usually get disgusted with the controls within half an hour and stop playing.

you are perfectly justified with assassins creed. i picked it up cheap for the pc, got half way to the first city and thought "why the hell am i constantly fighting the controls in this thing" and uninstalled.

any fps on a console.

Tayh:

You were justified. I tried playing it on PC and it was absolute shit, I remember getting about an hour through before the controls were just too angering to continue with.
EDIT: beaten to the punch, guess I shouldn't wait too long to post.

Esotera:
Mirror's Edge, Fable (360 port), and AC III have all suffered because of either crappy controls or mechanics that weren't intuitive enough. There's nothing wrong with giving up if the controls are just completely broken, it's the sensible thing to do for the sake of your sanity.

I found Mirror's Edge to have quite easy to use controls, both on xbox and PC. Though I'll have to agree with you on AC III, I found the changes they made to be awkward and couldn't get used to them.

The Getaway is the only game I can think of that I stopped playing strictly because of bad controls. Ass Cree Three I was willing to play with the awkward controls but I couldn't get invested in the story. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to it.

The Skate series I nearly walked away from, but I'm glad I didn't because once I got the hang of it the game felt so natural and I had so much fun that I now barely play the Tony Hawk's games.

Deadspace 1

Whenever the tanks in World Of Tanks has more responsive controls than a single adult human character there's surly something wrong. Going for immersion, I doubt any employee would hire an engineer if they handled like a crane.

halo 4, wanted to play it, but i can't get used to using an Xbox controller for FPSs

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked