Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 23 NEXT

Oh man, Zero was amazing, you will not be let down. And yeah whenever it works hehe, we can all set a day for it or something.

Well if I get the chance I would be up for it. Just keep in mind that I am not great at fighters and Arcs are probably the ones I am the worst at as although I love them you dont get good at them unless you practice loads and well I cannot do that I just dont have time (unfortunately) with SC I can learn a lot faster and have old experience to fall back on (same with other 3D fighters to a bigger or lesser extent) and SF well I played the heck out of SF2 back in the day before it went super (who didnt) but with Arc games I dont have anything like that to fall back on.

Basically it would be more of a one sided slaughter than a match lol but if you are fine with that I will try and find some time to play.

Anyone been keeping up with the Dissidia arcade stuff? I never got to play it as it was released 2 weeks after I left Japan last :( but Sephiroth is out now. I really want to try it though and am hoping for a PS4 port eventually (which seems very likely) however if Tifa isnt in it I will be very very disappointed. Loved Duodecim on PSP but was always a bit annoyed it was only on PSP I wanted a proper console version.

There is also that Yomi fighter coming out it seems but I am unsure on that atm. I can appreciate what they are trying to do but atm the theme feels a bit disjointed.

I am lukewarm about dissidiarcade so I have no info but if or when it comes over I will definitelly jump in it. I imported both psp ones, the Jp voice cast was so stacked lol. Gabranth was Raoh from hokuto no ken. XD

And no worries about skill levels, I often teach beginers so I will just pick various chars and stuff. It isn't really an issue to massacre someone without them doing anything cause even at high level that is the goal, achieving it is just much harder. I perfect people who can beat me about as often as I do beginners, the only difference tends to be what the person on the recievin end gets from it. When it happens to me I tend to analyze why it did but if someone can't and won't ask questions they are likely to be discouraged and that is a big trap. You don't wanna crush people's souls but at the same time playing without trying won't prepare them for foes who are trying at all, even if they are at a much lower skill level than me.

Ono to make an announcement soon? Gee I wonder what it is. Not really of course but I am sure some people are "hyped" for potential SFV news, maybe.

Happy turkey day folks, good day to get some games on maybe. :D

Well, I just got Pokken Tournament for Wii U with a birthday discount from Nintendo (thanks Nintendo!) and I'm having a little trouble getting used to it. It feels very...weighty? Slow I might say? Maybe its' just me.

Pokken is great and yeah, slow as hell, just pick counter, throw or attack and commit the hell to it. Don't worry about reactions, just put your soul in the guess over and over again. Also Gengar is hype.

Your spirit is certainty appreciated no matter how late.

Paragon Fury:
Well, I just got Pokken Tournament for Wii U with a birthday discount from Nintendo (thanks Nintendo!) and I'm having a little trouble getting used to it. It feels very...weighty? Slow I might say? Maybe its' just me.

Pokken is a good game from a terrible concept. I hate its controls and some design choices are bad but damn if its not weirdly very enjoyable. Rough to get into at first though. Also welcome empoleon.

I wish more people played decent fighters.

Lately it feels like whenever someone talks about gaming, they often don't even know what blazblue or guilty gear is. I met maybe 2 or 3 people outside of gaming world/forums/discord, who knew arcana heart.

I mainly just play games by aksys(blazblue, guilty gear, persona) and examu(arcana heart, Nitroplus blasterz). I did try undernight but never got into it, or learned what the grid system did.

I don't really care about things like MK, SF, which seems to get a lot of popularity for unknown reasons.

K-sha:

Lately it feels like whenever someone talks about gaming, they often don't even know what blazblue or guilty gear is. I met maybe 2 or 3 people outside of gaming world/forums/discord, who knew arcana heart.

I mainly just play games by aksys(blazblue, guilty gear, persona) and examu(arcana heart, Nitroplus blasterz). I did try undernight but never got into it, or learned what the grid system did.

I don't really care about things like MK, SF, which seems to get a lot of popularity for unknown reasons.

SF and MK go purely on name recognition and simplicity. They are popular not because of being good but because of being parts of those named series. Lots of people played them as kids decades ago so they know them while you have to actually be knowledgeable to a high degree about fighters to even hear about, never mind play, stuff like examu or french bread games.

Grid in uniel is a resource, you obtain it by doing positive actions (think active flow in BB) and whoever has more when a set amount of time elapses gets a buff called Vorpal that lets them rc stuff, even on whiff sometimes, and gain meter based on how much grid they have when they rc.

But yeah, I play all that stuff too, hurray for second person in this site to have nitro+ lol.

K-sha:

More people playing any fighters is good in my opinion. As Dreiko said though SF is a huge name (due to SF2 which was and is awesome up to Super anyway which is when the wheels fell off as far as I am concerned) while MK has excellent marketing. Its pretty much sold on spectacle rather than actual gameplay which has been absolutely abyssmal at least until MK9 where it went to ok (but still worse than almost all the competition imo). That said if you like it play it and have fun.

I dont mind SFV actually the gameplay I quite like but I hate the way they have rolled it out. For me it just shows a disgusting contempt for the consumers and it sickens me when people defend such practices (yay we get less). There are a lot of great fighters out at the moment but I do wish people were more receptive to different ones instead of entrenching themselves to one game or company. I mean we all have preferences and bias for example my own bias against Netherrealms (mostly due to their DLC programs, their character models and a lack of understanding on balance leading to a ridiculous spam of balance patches in the hopes something works) but I cannot deny they no longer make the terrible games they once did.

Companies like Arc and SNK must be a little annoyed that they have produced such generous (and quality) packages and yet get sidelined simply because they dont have as strong brand power as SF or MK. Back in the day I would argue that SF2 was the best fighter out there and actually I would still argue it for that time frame but things have moved on however having so many people play your style of fighter and get used to the feeling is a huge boon and ofc if more people are playing a fighter it draws even more.

Minor aside but it makes me laugh when people complain about a fighter being to anime but then play stuff like MVC3 or SF I mean what do they think those games are? Then again anime is a useless term when discussing fighters some would say they should say air dashers instead but I dont think that encompasses what some think anime is and its not like its an art style any more than western is.

The excuses are made basically for the same reason that the games sell a lot, literally all it boils down to is "it's SF". MK for the longest time has been a gore gimmick so that's that of course. As for anime, it is a thing but only when the game is actually based on an anime that exists. Otherwise it'd be like calling Jrpgs Animerpgs cause their artstyles and stories are animelike lol. Airdasher covers most of them well enough I think, but there will always be exceptions.

What I wanna know is what would all these people call Koihime Musou, it is based on the Koihime anime series but it plays like some old super slow footsies based capcom game and combos are like 3 moves long.

The reason I got into Nitroplus is because AH3LM is my favorite all time fighter for the ps3 generation, which made me receptive to Examu. I am also a senran kagura fan. so being made by examu, having an all girl cast, having Homura/Heart as guest characters, etc was a big selling point.

i don't like the term anime fighter either, and prefer using the term air dashers. anime fighter can mean something like Naruto, or DBZ games, which are completely different. Series like SF is as much anime as your typical airdasher. They changed their art style, with recent games to not represent modernized anime as much, but characters still similarities to anime character. Sakura is pretty much an anime school girl type character.

Yeah examu are great, I love how they implemented homing in N+ and Homura is just great as well, not Ikaruga or Yomi but a close third lol. Saya is my fav though, as that VN is top tier material by the guy who went on to give us Madoka.

SF literally had Oni which was a super saiyan 2 form of Gouki, complete with electricity coursing around him. How is that not anime lol. And yeah, as someone who played a ton of budokai and jump ultimate stars (this is how you do platformer fighters Nintendo!) I also think of that stuff when folks say anime figter.

As for arcana, I play Kamui. Sadly the netplay is region locked for lovemax so I can only fight folks with jp copies or locally.

Ryu/Ken are your stereotypical shounen action main characters, minus the modernized getting beat up by their crush syndrome. the hadoken is pretty much a copy of kamekameha and many ki blasts from dbz. anime in general is a pretty diverse media. Watching most shounen action is really different from a slice of life, which is really different from a lot of things.

I like Ryona and Katsuragi most, because of their perviness in different ways. Homura's pretty awesome regardless and I think probably the most badass SK character. Sonico was another really interesting character, and I think using cats was awesome. I remember showing some people this game, and they were like Sonico's in it, WTF she fights using cats. I think N+ was the only fighting game I know where the guest characters mattered more than original main cast to me. I only knew who saber was and didnt watch fate/stay night. Not that it mattered, since i approached it like a normal fighting game. When you try a new fighting game, you never know the characters.

I am beginning to wonder if six stars will ever get a console release. It'll pbly be the only game I must import despite the overpriced importing prices.

It has been so long I doubt we are gonna see six stars sadly. I know the folks who run Mizuumi and they have no hope either. Maybe if they make a new one, AH4 or something, maybe we will get that.

i dont think we'll see ah4 for a long time, though I wouldnt mind it.
admittedly as much as i love ah3lm, n wish it had a community, its a game that's hard to recommend to most people. even if you like the style, there's hardly anyone to ever play with, and it's really stressful learning. you usually get the same 2-5 people most of the time, who have all played for years. The game is possibly the most complex 2d fighter in existence, with many ah3 specific mechanics, to the point it's got it's own fundamentals. no tutorial modes, challenge modes, etc which more popular games have. Even online resources are really limited and a lot of things are still written for original ah3.
Someone can be new to gg or bb in experience, but still not seem like it if he/she spend sometime studying it in game tutorials, and learning a few combos, and having general fighting game knowledge. Find some other beginners to play with, as well as learn from some better players when they get some experience.

in ah3lm, you'll just be lost and bodied by not knowing how to use the homing button. you see players from other games, come in, never jump or use homing. frustrated on how they cant get out of the most simple things, rage quit, all the time.

Yeah only few people can go through that, at first I was using Konoha but Kamui clicked more and I had a local scene with people who run the wiki and others so they taught me. One night we had a gathering and I lost something like 120 games in a row to one guy but I learned a lot and improved thanks to it. Most people though lack such willpower, never mind the required endurance.

At least I never lost a tourney to him in BB, CP Kokonoe using scum XD.

It brings me great pleasure that people keep this thread alive. Time has been so cruel lately in my lack of it.

As for any actual news most of you already know. XrdRev coming to Steam, Street Fighter V getting a season 2(omg i totally did not see that coming) and Marvel VS Capcom Infinite coming to consoles and Steam(yay for me) and other news you folk have that I have missed and probably more up to date than me.

Lastly for my fellow PC players Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel came to Steam today and its currently 10% off until December 18th.

K-sha:

Street Fighter is where it is because of the nostalgia for Street Fighter II. Its Doom for us in the FGC because Doom was not the first FPS nor was STII the first fighting game but to each game an entire reason, new life, to a genre was born. Street Fighter II is the reason we are all here talking, playing, gathering competing. Tekken director Harada-sama himself made it clear he would not be here, a director, a game developer and creator to the highest sold fighting series despite Tekken's huge decline in recent years if not for Street Fighter II. Its not the best game to us all, hell I like 3S more and V about as much as II but its true. Since Capcom is still alive and in control of it thats one of the reasons its so popular. The other being the simple fact, and lets be real here, Capcom may have fallen hard and continue to make good games or games with good potential ruined but Ill be damned if they are not better at getting their game out to an international crowd than most people having anything to do with fighting games. "Anime" games that you, me, and Dreiko among others love are terrible at it between long arcade waits, botched release schedules when the ports are even announced(poor Europe), and often times the games eventually becoming obsolete compared to more recent arcade versions that taken forever or never get updated here(my dearly beloved Under Night In-Birth). Keep that in mind and also remember that the modern day FGC is often divided by both companies and our own stupidity and as a result have random stigma against "anime" games often. Even if the game does everything right in its release and release schedule(and thats bloody rare) there is still the unnecessary stigma towards "anime" games and while true its not as bad as the Smash community's treatment despite them being more supportive of their games than most of us its still unfortunate. Obviously its not all bad but thats why I feel these games are where that are.
Except Mortal Kombat. That series is where it is because westerners go batshit for it. I dont care how bad the games are, and there are more bad than good in my opinion, westerners eat it up. While its nice to see someone passionate about a fighting game they love there are very few people that actually love Mortal Kombat but an ungodly amount of people that like it. Or at least think they do because its a big name thats even bigger now that its owned by a big publisher like WB and no amount of terrible DLC practices while erase MK's popularity.

The stigma I find is more from the really casual folks. Justin Wong was playing Linne in uniel just fine in our locals for one lol. Most good players respect the great amount of skill requird by airdashers. It is the ignorant ones who wanna shut down a game with no valid reason who use it as stigma so I can't really become wound up about it.

The release issues are real but they come with the teritory of the games being half a step above what we consider indie games in the US so worldwide publishing is out of their league and they have to make do with what they can. Capcom has been at it for decades so no matter how crap a game (sf x tekken) they can easily sell it. On this subject, I am of the mind that if you really wanna play a game, just import it from Japan without concern asap. Yes it will cost more and that sucks but it is worth it overall.

So Marvel Infinity has been announced but until Psylocke is announced I remain only half interested :)

Also Garou Mark of the Wolves is on PS4 now which I have bought and hardly played (so many games and so little time).

There is also a new fighter coming to PS4 Omen of Sorrow

And lastly but by no means least its SCs 20th anniversary and there are rumblings of a new game although I am not getting my hopes up until one is announced and it better not just be that pachinko garbage or another F2P disaster (worst fighter I have ever played).

In honour of this I am going to post the greatest game opening of all time.

Its also Dead or Alives 20th anniversary (or at least near it) so maybe DOA6 may get announced (at NEC tournament) although personally except for the online I feel DOA5 pretty much nailed the formula and its still one of the best looking fighters out there imo so dunno if a new one is needed.

i am wondering if arcana heart and nitroplus are worth buying on steam if i already own ps3 versions. the only reason I'm thinking of it, is because it might support examu a little and show that people play the game, and i might have more people to play with, though I wouldnt expect too many.

The pc audience is sadly much smaller and less good at the games on average since they get the games so late that all the competitive folks get the game for console to keep up with the community. I would just play the games a lot to suppor them and teach people stuff to promote them.

Omen Of Sorrow hit my eyes during its younger days and I was thrilled to see an idea to appear. Since then I lost touch only to find that development is still going well and its spread its awareness to more than just obscured Steam, PS, and SRK stuff and that is wonderful. I forget what part of South American its from.

Dreiko:
The pc audience is sadly much smaller and less good at the games on average since they get the games so late that all the competitive folks get the game for console to keep up with the community. I would just play the games a lot to suppor them and teach people stuff to promote them.

Smaller yes, "less good" is dead wrong. PC is an easy enough format that most top players can walk in fairly easily. The problem is a lot of them don't and the ones that do are 90% of the upper tier players from my experience are Skullgirls players which is fine with me being my main game at the moment but we need more for other games. That and while one can argue Skullgirls is more active on PC I feel personally its more of an even split of PC and PS4.

I want to say Ragna is not a bad guy himself and I cant hate him by his personality. My issue is that no one can convince me that he is anything but arguably the worst designed fighting game character and one of the worst main character designs in history. Mori's team is inferior to designing characters to Daisuke its true. Funny enough while I like Daisuke himself more it is Mori's Blazblue that I care for almost infinitely more than Daisuke's Guilty Gear. I have had a weird journey of many positive and negative feelings for Blazblue but as bothersome as it is in times I can state with confidence that I do indeed love the series while I merely sort of like its older sibling Guilty Gear. The reason I know its love and not a VERY overlong infatuation is my complaint of how terribly designed Ragna is. Infatuation is not love. Its hypnotism that prevents you from seeing the real picture and all its glaring flaws. Real love and seeing the flaws and your feelings remaining what they are and I do love BB for all my issues with it.

PurplePonyArcade:

Dreiko:

Smaller yes, "less good" is dead wrong. PC is an easy enough format that most top players can walk in fairly easily. The problem is a lot of them don't and the ones that do are 90% of the upper tier players from my experience are Skullgirls players which is fine with me being my main game at the moment but we need more for other games. That and while one can argue Skullgirls is more active on PC I feel personally its more of an even split of PC and PS4.

Key terms were "on average". Yes, when for some reason people do decide to play on pc when they do know that the average player is likely to be weak, they do indeed walk in easily. Of course. The point is that as you say, most of the people don't play on pc unless it has cross play with console or the game is pc-only like melty.

SG I believe got some patch back forever ago on pc way before consoles so that's why there's an exception, but I generally dislike assist-heavy games where you can freely use assists for no cost so I don't follow it. Look at nitroplus for the ideal way to use assists in a game. They actually BALANCE how good an assist is with adjusted recharge time before and after use, revolutionary. And it isn't static either, one may start full but take ages to refill, the other may take ages to fill once but the second use fills up faster. Lots of room for strategy is allowed from this and you can't spam the invncible antiair or full screen projectile assists all day in a match to the point where if your foe doesn't have assists the MU is 10-0.

I would have to disagree with BB having bad character designs. I never cared too much about ragna, because of my tastes, but give him props. I do feel sad for him after finishing CF storyline, though won't say why, incase people don't want story spoilers. His character is pretty bad ass since there aren't really any other gaming main characters that have shown growth and struggled in a deep storyline that I know of. Compared to sol, whose been so high tier in the storyline, he usually just walks through most of the villains without trying. He is so bad ass that he just walks around town like normal, despite his bounty. We've seen him get his ass handed to him a lot, till the point he's the only one who managed to beat most story high tier villains in cf

I do love the murakumo units. tao, arakune, are arguably the most unique characters in gaming, eventhough I ve never been interested them. I love most of the female cast, and i tend to prefer females over male characters. I mainly favor Makoto, Noel, Mai and the Murakumo units.

I also have to say I give props for giving characters alternate versions of themselves that play completely different, and are different designs. Noel/Mu12, Tsubaki/Izayoi, Jin/Hakumen, are the same character storywise. the only clones are lambda/Nu, who were originally supposed to replace each other.

compare that to melty blood or street fighter, where it's clone city.

I was insulting Ragna mainly. Not so much BB's designs as a whole, just saying Daisuke's team is better at character designs overall.

I'm just thinking that the airdasher fgc seem pretty isolated from sf players, mk players.
most fighting game friends i have on psn, are friended after random matches, or occasionally met from dustloop. I see most of them playing airdashers almost all the time. It's common for SFV/SFiv to be in games list if you check, but it does not seem to be played often by most. I really rarely have a friend who plays MK games.

they dont even seem to use the same anotations. airdashers always use the number system 236, 623, etc to describe moves/combos. while sf players usually use qcf, hcf, dp, etc.

I'm also wondering if you guys have any opinions on skill level differences between 3d and 2d games in general, as well as airdashers, and more traditional games. airdashers seem to have a lot more strategy options and execution involved, because of tools available, and determining whether you should burst or save your bar. a lot more complicated movements, usually a lot more combo heavy and fast pace. I do not know of any execution movements you find in sf type games, that you don't have in airdashers. I do admit you can pull off some simple combos ABC, AB2BC, etc with little skill in airdashers though. and when you are getting comboed, I often just button mash to try to tech. Airdashers seem more like MMA, while old style 2d fighters seem more like boxing to me, as a comparison.

now 2d vs 3d, i admit i dont have as much experience with. I got into DOA for awhile. it seems like it's more about mind games than skill in comparison. other than not pushing a button too many times. you can just pick random and still compete without knowing the character. I barely played any other 3d games. it seems I can still do some really basic combos from my brief experience with SC/Tekken. When I tried playing casuals that don't play online, I found All I have to do is block, read their button mash combos, counter when it ends. or just keep a distance attack. I know I would get killed against actual players, but I atleast managed to beat casuals who play every once in awhile.

3D might as well be a different genre, I had over a decade of tekken experience from back in 96 and it did nothing for my BB skill beyond imbue me with the right attitude one needs to learn figters. Comparin the two is like comparing with smash, too apples and oranges.

As for games like SF, I am a prime example of this. Back before BBCT came out I did get SFIV vanilla and played it for like half a year. Once CT hit though I never looked back. Airdashers have really easy basic stuff but the ceiling to mastery is really high. SF on the other hand makes the simplest of things be hard to do such that you don't need a lot of mental power to know what you're supposed to do but actually doing it consistently takes about as long as gettin down optimal combos in BB so the skill demand is still there.

And here we come to the crux of the issue; if I am to spend 5 hours in practice mode, do I wanna get out if it:

A: The ability to do two medium punches in a row and have them combo

B: The ability to hit you all over the screen, go super saiyan, web and poison you, then explode into the wall

I can't help but pick B every time.

The issue however is what comes when one doesn't want to practice. See, in SF, individual moves do a MUCH higher % of a life bar in damage, so even if you don't know anything, you only lose maybe 60% out of the potential damage you could be doing from most hits you land. In airdashers however, if you don't practice a LOT at first to get the basics down, you lose upwards of 90% of potential damage, more in some cases, and this really does cripple your potential for enjoyment and victory, doubly so if you face someone who knows how to play. All this results in the lazy or time contstrained folks flooding games like SF, while those of us who practice stick with the deeper experience provided by airdashers cause linking medium punch twice or hitconfirmin low kick into super is frankly boring as all hell.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here