Rick and Morty Season 3 Talk

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Saelune:
I hope it ends like Morel Orel did, where most of the town, especially the father never redeem themselves and Orel only ends up happy because he stopped trying to conform to his father's messed up views.

Me too, but they are very different shows..

I think we kind of have to face the fact that a lot of Rick and Morty's fanbase are, to put it bluntly, edgelords. They're people who think they're smart and deep because they read Nietzche once (and completely missed the point that Nietzche was a Morty, not a Rick). These people identify with the character of Rick because he's an asshole, they see his behaviour as morally justified by the fact that he's smarter than everyone around him, because that's how they imagine themselves.

Because of this, it's increasingly hard for me to see the show ever actually calling out its characters on their bullshit in any meaningful way, because at the end of the day it has to pander to the utterly repugnant section of the fanbase who would feel personally attacked if they ever did that.. which I suspect probably overlaps a lot with the section who are now really upset about characters like Beth and Summer being given actual character development (for some [completely unintelligible] reasons).

Morel Orel always had this weird heart and little moments of emotional intelligence to it which mostly kept edgelords away, despite the dark content..

It's kinda sad when I thought was a filler episode and it turns out to be the season finale.

I didn't like the new season, I might be becoming a Simpsons style comic book guy but it just feels like they replaced wittiness with gore and memes and rather than having cool ideas referencing other science fiction works they use shallow parodies instead. I'm afraid it might be nostalgia goggles but I've only first seen the show a year ago. Halfway through the season the quality improved but only to the point that the episodes were mediocre rather than just bad. The characters also feel very badly handled.

Best episode: "Tales from the Citadel", funnily enough having none of the main characters. I'd put "Rest and Ricklaxation" at second place for actually handling the main characters well.
Worst episode: I'm struggling between "Pickle Rick" and "Vindicators 3". Both were abysmal, the first was all gore and existed for a meme, the second is a billion times made superhero deconstruction. I guess I'll go with the latter.

I laughed all through the episode. It seems like the show is trying to figure out what it wants to be. Episodic Dark Comedy, or Adventure Time deep plot with filler mixed in. Seems the fans dont know either.

I like how the handled the question of is Beth a clone or not. And it seems neither Beth, nor us really know. Might even be the creators dont know, but if they want to later bring out "Inter-Dimensional Adventurer Beth" they could. *shrug*.

I wish Poopy Butthole gave us a timeframe, since apparently he was rather on the nose with "A year and a half" last time.

I have no idea what that episode was...was it clever? Funny? Cool? Dark? Light?
I felt not only lost, but like there was no direction to begin with. Like even the writers were just writing lines. No story structure, over-arching themes, nothing.

Also another example of the promos being 100% misleading as the the plot of the episode.

Saelune:
I wish Poopy Butthole gave us a timeframe, since apparently he was rather on the nose with "A year and a half" last time.

Mr. Poopy Butthole (oh my god I just wrote those words out in a serious conversation) said "Santa Claus beard" so perhaps this December or next December? Maybe even earlier. He said "Next time you see me" so that could be at the end of the season, meaning that it might start around September/October as well.

inu-kun:
Worst episode: I'm struggling between "Pickle Rick" and "Vindicators 3". Both were abysmal, the first was all gore and existed for a meme, the second is a billion times made superhero deconstruction. I guess I'll go with the latter.

I thought Vindicators 3 was about how Rick is a man hopelessly drowning in his own misery, drag others down with him to his level in a subconscious, panicked attempt to stay afloat for any extra second he can get. Certainly seems accurate given how Summer and Morty have begun behaving. Rick offering an out to Beth could be interpreted many ways but I think it was him either offering Beth the life he had hoping she wouldn't make his mistakes and turn out better than him, completing his arc as a man who found some redemption in fixing the damage he did as a father, or that he did it to turn Beth into him, which is a different way of dragging her down and completing his arc as a toxic influece that destroys anybody who clings to him with hope that he can help them. Either seem possible.

Silentpony:
No story structure, over-arching themes, nothing.

The whole season has been about Rick's narcissism and alcoholism. Alcoholics often lash out and attack their loved ones to bring down those folk down to the emotional pain that the alcoholic is feeling themselves. At one point Rick is literally toxic and trying to make everybody as toxic as he is. Morty becomes so cynical that the only way he feels he can survive being around Rick is if he detaches himself from his empathy. Summer lashes out violently and hurts others physically for her own amusement and doesn't appear to care for the well-being of anybody else anymore. Beth becomes more jaded and callous the more time she spends around Rick. Jerry is a puppy being repeatedly kicked in the ribs by Rick. Rick was never a healthy influence but he's almost literally moving planets just to hurt those around him. The fact that Rick's god complex was removed in the Rest and Ricklaxation episode suggests that Rick knows how awful his behaviour is but that he, like most addicts, simply can't help himself.

Rick teleported the Citadel, which I'm guessing is roughly the size of a moon or even a small planet, just in the long run to continue hurting others. He's moving planets to hurt people while maintaining a guise that he cares. The premiere ends with the Szechuan sauce gag but it accurately reflects how a clinical narcissist will take off their mask around people who will never have the nerve to stand up to them or warn others about them because, well, why continue to fake it at that point? Almost everything Rick does he does so he can elevate himself. Rick usually elevates himself by bringing down others.

If I had to guess a thesis for the season I would say that the show is trying to warn people against reconnecting from those who were a wholly toxic on your life and express skepticism towards any appearance that they changed, basically using this episode as an opportunity to hang a gigantic neon sign around Beth saying "don't make her mistake!"

evilthecat:

I think we kind of have to face the fact that a lot of Rick and Morty's fanbase are, to put it bluntly, edgelords. They're people who think they're smart and deep because they read Nietzche once (and completely missed the point that Nietzche was a Morty, not a Rick). These people identify with the character of Rick because he's an asshole, they see his behaviour as morally justified by the fact that he's smarter than everyone around him, because that's how they imagine themselves.

Actually, the only people I've seen matching that have been the people reviving Xavier: Renegade Angel.

Morel Orel always had this weird heart and little moments of emotional intelligence to it which mostly kept edgelords away, despite the dark content..

All the more reason I loved it. Hell, these days, GamerGate, Kekistan and the other Cool Kids of the Internet would proclaim how "Redpilled" the people of Moralton are.

I liked it.

Many people are complaining it "isn't the same". But what really is the show about? Maybe they have gotten the incorrect idea regarding the theme of the show.

Personally I think it's an exploration of existential nihilism - in particular Rick's - through further exploration of the characters' personalities.

deadish:
I liked it.

Many people are complaining it "isn't the same". But what really is the show about? Maybe they have gotten the incorrect idea regarding the theme of the show.

Personally I think it's an exploration of existential nihilism - in particular Rick's - through further exploration of the characters' personalities.

The problem is Rick's nihilism was a Season 1 thing. He said over and over nothing matters, nobody matters. And he went through what we thought were some emotional breakthroughs. But season 3 ending Rick could have been episode 1 Rick for all it mattered. When they say it isn't the same what they mean is it feels like the previous seasons never happened. Everyone has forgotten every lesson they learned. Feels like all sense of continuity resets every 3rd episode.

Silentpony:

deadish:
I liked it.

The problem is Rick's nihilism was a Season 1 thing. He said over and over nothing matters, nobody matters. And he went through what we thought were some emotional breakthroughs. But season 3 ending Rick could have been episode 1 Rick for all it mattered. When they say it isn't the same what they mean is it feels like the previous seasons never happened. Everyone has forgotten every lesson they learned. Feels like all sense of continuity resets every 3rd episode.

Why would Rick stop being a Nihilist? Nothing has changed for him. There are still infinite universes. Everyone is replaceable and has no value - 1/infinity approaches zero.

And if you think about it, for real, nothing really matter. There is no reason for us to exist - encapsulated nicely in the often quoted, "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV.". We exist solely as an accident of mother nature. You exist because your parents were motivated by their genes to breed - and they exist because your grandparents were motivated by their genes to breed ... so on and so forth.

Rick maybe giving in more to his "irrational motives" in the later seasons but he knows full well they are irrational.

deadish:
SNIP

Come on, that's the insufferable 'Rick and Morty is legit smartz tv-show everz!' attitude that makes fans universally unlikable. Remember nothing matters is the same as everything matters. Both mean the same thing, and a person's reaction to either is exactly the same. If nothing matters, no action matters, so you're free to do whatever you want. If everything matters, every action is equal, so you're free to do whatever you want.

Its empty 8th grade level psychology.

And Rick is trolling those self-same fans. Remember, Rick knows he's a cartoon character. He knows he's in a microverse of his own. The family knows. They say 'roll the credits' or talk to the audience. Beth referenced going back to Season 1 for fucks sake! Their motivation is solely to keep the show running. Rick's irrational motives are entirely rational because each one constitutes an entire episode. The more of a dick he is, the more 'un-dick' scenes we get, padding out run time and making more episodes.

Silentpony:

deadish:
SNIP

Come on, that's the insufferable 'Rick and Morty is legit smartz tv-show everz!' attitude that makes fans universally unlikable.

LOL. You are not replying to my post. Instead start attacking me.

Remember nothing matters is the same as everything matters. Both mean the same thing, and a person's reaction to either is exactly the same. If nothing matters, no action matters, so you're free to do whatever you want. If everything matters, every action is equal, so you're free to do whatever you want.

Its empty 8th grade level psychology.

If nothing matters, you aren't obligated to do anything.

If everything matters, you are obligated to do everything.

What you end up doing ... that's a separate issue that is independent on whether you are obligated to do so or not.

Edit: It's also not quite right to say they are equal.

If nothing matters, you are free to do nothing.

If everything matters, you are obligated to do at least something.

And Rick is trolling those self-same fans. Remember, Rick knows he's a cartoon character. He knows he's in a microverse of his own. The family knows. They say 'roll the credits' or talk to the audience. Beth referenced going back to Season 1 for fucks sake! Their motivation is solely to keep the show running. Rick's irrational motives are entirely rational because each one constitutes an entire episode. The more of a dick he is, the more 'un-dick' scenes we get, padding out run time and making more episodes.

Talk about reading too much into things. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

To me the show just want to explore Existential Nihilism in an entertaining way - and the writers make a nice living in the process.

Why so hostile?

DeffoNotAnAltAccount:
snip

The thing is, it could be the deepest story ever told with mutiple levels of subtext... But I don't care, this season wasn't even bad like Family Guy (which has its own charm of badness), but just uninteresting. Things happen and we should be entertained because we are monkeys that were taught to be entertained by bad references and hyper violence.
Also as a person who's subscribed to Wisecrack on Youtube the digging for deepness, damn common sense, is really bad with Rick and Morty fans.

Every episode after the one where Rick and Jerry go to that resort together has been consistently funny. And I think I laughed the most with the final episode. Thing is the final episode didn't feel like a finale at all (even if it does sort out the Smiths' living arrangement). It's hard to one-up season two for cliffhangers and it feels like in this they didn't even bother to try.

I like the hyper violence as long as it's "clever" or novel sci-fi ideas, like the cloning gun thing.

I get that people say this season felt "different" and the citadel episode was probably the best by far. I'm not ready to write-off the series. This COULD be the beginning of the great decline, but it could just be a dip. Either way we had a good time.

It's not as if we have been promised a completable story arch (cough Game of Thrones).

Johnny Novgorod:
Every episode after the one where Rick and Jerry go to that resort together has been consistently funny. And I think I laughed the most with the final episode. Thing is the final episode didn't feel like a finale at all (even if it does sort out the Smiths' living arrangement). It's hard to one-up season two for cliffhangers and it feels like in this they didn't even bother to try.

Season 2 wasn't even supposed to end on a cliffhanger. They didn't finish "Rickshank Rickdemption"on time and had to rush out the Purge episode to fill the gap.

Honestly, I think folks are looking for something that just isn't there and never was supposed to be there.

deadish:

And if you think about it, for real, nothing really matter. There is no reason for us to exist - encapsulated nicely in the often quoted, "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV.". We exist solely as an accident of mother nature. You exist because your parents were motivated by their genes to breed - and they exist because your grandparents were motivated by their genes to breed ... so on and so forth.

Come on, man.

Silvanus:

deadish:

Come on, man.

I find a lack of purpose for existence rather freeing. If you can die happy, you win at life. Why stress out over 'my purpose in life'?

Instead stress over how unhappy you are :D

Saelune:

Silvanus:

deadish:

Come on, man.

I find a lack of purpose for existence rather freeing. If you can die happy, you win at life. Why stress out over 'my purpose in life'?

Here's the thing, if nothing matters why bother trying to be happy? Happiness doesn't matter. Its equal to sadness. Because nothing matters.
Dying happy is equal to winning life, which is equal to failing at life which is equal to dying sad.
You feeling free doesn't matter. You'd feel the exact same way if you weren't free because being free doesn't matter, and your feelings on being free don't matter.
Stressing out doesn't matter. Not stressing out doesn't matter.

That's what no one seems to understand. Nothing mattering doesn't mean you get to live to be happy, because that implies being happy matters to you. And it doesn't. Because nothing matters. You should feel the exact same being happy, sad, bleeding out, having sex, meeting Obama and marrying Trump. Because none of it matters.
Life can't both not matter, and you have a preference for anything.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Silvanus:

Come on, man.

Here's the thing, if nothing matters why bother trying to be happy? Happiness doesn't matter. Its equal to sadness. Because nothing matters.
Dying happy is equal to winning life, which is equal to failing at life which is equal to dying sad.
You feeling free doesn't matter. You'd feel the exact same way if you weren't free because being free doesn't matter, and your feelings on being free don't matter.

That's what no one seems to understand. Nothing mattering doesn't mean you get to live to be happy, because that implies being happy matters to you. And it doesn't. Because nothing matters. You should feel the exact same being happy, sad, bleeding out, having sex, meeting Obama and marrying Trump. Because none of it matters.

And I thought I was emo.

If nothing matters, then enjoy the time you have. If there is no great purpose, then why worry about working towards anything but enjoying your life? "You cant take it with you" and "You only live once", so enjoy it. I mean, who knows, maybe there is an awesome afterlife awaiting us, but maybe not. Who knows?

Alot of people are miserable because they try to be more than themselves. They waste their lives on jobs or careers they despise instead of doing what they love. They aspire for goals they can never reach and feel failed in life, why do that?

I dont care if I die rich or anything, just as long as I die happy and maybe left the world a bit better than I found it.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Saelune:

And I thought I was emo.

If nothing matters, then enjoy the time you have. If there is no great purpose, then why worry about working towards anything but enjoying your life? "You cant take it with you" and "You only live once", so enjoy it. I mean, who knows, maybe there is an awesome afterlife awaiting us, but maybe not. Who knows?

Alot of people are miserable because they try to be more than themselves. They waste their lives on jobs or careers they despise instead of doing what they love. They aspire for goals they can never reach and feel failed in life, why do that?

I dont care if I die rich or anything, just as long as I die happy and maybe left the world a bit better than I found it.

But none of that matters. Enjoying the time you have here implies enjoying yourself matters. Which it doesn't. You should be equally satisfied not enjoying yourself.
Working towards a great purpose matters just as much as not working towards one. Enjoying your life matters just as much as not.
Having an awesome afterlife matters just as much as a bad afterlife, just as much as no afterlife.

Those miserable people don't matter because they'd be equally themselves living a life for themselves.

That's what 'nothing matters' means. Literally. Nothing

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

And I thought I was emo.

But none of that matters. Enjoying the time you have here implies enjoying yourself matters. Which it doesn't. You should be equally satisfied not enjoying yourself.
Working towards a great purpose matters just as much as not working towards one. Enjoying your life matters just as much as not.
Having an awesome afterlife matters just as much as a bad afterlife, just as much as no afterlife.

Those miserable people don't matter because they'd be equally themselves living a life for themselves.

That's what 'nothing matters' means. Literally. Nothing

Are you even reading what I am saying?

Edit: Life is not a linear story game. It is an open world with no end game or defined plot.

Saelune:

Edit: Life is not a linear story game. It is an open world with no end game or defined plot.

Every word of it. I'm just pointing out the inherent absurdity of the 'nothing matters' Rick and Morty pseudo-idea.
If you want to live a life of happiness and do the world a solid, then loads of things matter, including a purpose and a great purpose, namely a happy life and improving the entire planet/species, if only by a small amount.

And there are all sorts of things that implies matter to you. The world, the species, happiness, yourself, life, the list goes on.

That's my point that the traditional Rick and Morty fan doesn't understand. You can't have a preference, like living a happy life or doing whatever you want, and nothing you do mattering.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Every word of it. I'm just pointing out the inherent absurdity of the 'nothing matters' Rick and Morty pseudo-idea.
If you want to live a life of happiness and do the world a solid, then loads of things matter, including a purpose and a great purpose, namely a happy life and improving the entire planet/species, if only by a small amount.

And there are all sorts of things that implies matter to you. The world, the species, happiness, yourself, life, the list goes on.

That's my point that the traditional Rick and Morty fan doesn't understand. You can't have a preference, like living a happy life or doing whatever you want, and nothing you do mattering.

Rick is a shitty person. He may be 'smart' but he is not as wise as he thinks he is and that is why he is miserable, because he cannot let himself be happy because he seems to also be stuck in the same view of 'nothing matters' that you seem to be stuck in.

And to be clear, when we say 'nothing matters' we mean on as cosmic scale. That our lives have some sort of divine cosmic purpose...it doesnt. And thats a major burden taken off of us. Imagine being born with the expectation of saving the universe? Thats a life that matters, but a burdensome life for sure.

Saelune:
Rick is a shitty person. He may be 'smart' but he is not as wise as he thinks he is and that is why he is miserable, because he cannot let himself be happy because he seems to also be stuck in the same view of 'nothing matters' that you seem to be stuck in.

I don't think Silentpony actually holds that "nothing matters" view; he's arguing that such a view is absurd.

Saelune:
And to be clear, when we say 'nothing matters' we mean on as cosmic scale. That our lives have some sort of divine cosmic purpose...it doesnt. And thats a major burden taken off of us. Imagine being born with the expectation of saving the universe? Thats a life that matters, but a burdensome life for sure.

There being no cosmic purpose isn't the same as nothing mattering, though. We can assign our own value judgements and decide our own goals and purposes-- that's still stuff mattering.

Silvanus:

Saelune:

I don't think Silentpony actually holds that "nothing matters" view; he's arguing that such a view is absurd.

Saelune:

There being no cosmic purpose isn't the same as nothing mattering, though. We can assign our own value judgements and decide our own goals and purposes-- that's still stuff mattering.

From what I have seen, most people who seek a purpose in life, do so in a more spiritual/religious connotation, even if they dont outright acknowledge or realize it. They dont seek purpose out of a desire to do something meaningful, but because they seem to feel an expectation to have a purpose ordained by God or the universe or what have you.

evilthecat:

Saelune:
I hope it ends like Morel Orel did, where most of the town, especially the father never redeem themselves and Orel only ends up happy because he stopped trying to conform to his father's messed up views.

Me too, but they are very different shows..

Because of this, it's increasingly hard for me to see the show ever actually calling out its characters on their bullshit in any meaningful way, because at the end of the day it has to pander to the utterly repugnant section of the fanbase who would feel personally attacked if they ever did that.. which I suspect probably overlaps a lot with the section who are now really upset about characters like Beth and Summer being given actual character development (for some [completely unintelligible] reasons).

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/04/i-loathe-these-people-rick-and-morty-and-the-brilliant-backlash-against-tvs-bad-fans

So nice when something is resolved so quickly.

Saelune:
From what I have seen, most people who seek a purpose in life, do so in a more spiritual/religious connotation, even if they dont outright acknowledge or realize it. They dont seek purpose out of a desire to do something meaningful, but because they seem to feel an expectation to have a purpose ordained by God or the universe or what have you.

Really? From what I can see, almost everybody seeks a purpose in life, including the atheists and agnostics (be it a fulfilling job, relationship, what-have-you).

Since it seems we talk about it (or at least I think so) I'll give my 2 cents about Nihilism...

It's a pointless world view (figuratively and literally), if nothing has basis what's the point to not steal or rape if I want to? After all we are just machines that were randomized into existence, so causing others to suffer should be less significant than the scratching of my ballsack. The only true reason not to do such things is the fear of punishment.

Why even waste time indulging in such a worldview? It will not make you a better person or expand your horizons.

wizzy555:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/04/i-loathe-these-people-rick-and-morty-and-the-brilliant-backlash-against-tvs-bad-fans

So nice when something is resolved so quickly.

Wow this is an article so stupid it actually competes against the rabid fanbase with the added bonus of "entitled white males" racism and sexism (apperantly black people cannot be gamergaters, they aren't allowed). I'll just take a term they threw around of "toxic masculinity", nothing in the show has that. Jerry is the complete opposite of "toxic masculinity" as he cries like a bitch, and unless the (granted badly defined) term changed much I don't think hyper nihilism is a well known toxic masculinity trait.

Silvanus:

Saelune:

Really? From what I can see, almost everybody seeks a purpose in life, including the atheists and agnostics (be it a fulfilling job, relationship, what-have-you).

Well, now I am tempted to go on a tangent against the system, maaaan, how it like, makes us into unthinking robots maaaan. (I jest, but its true)

McMarbles:

Johnny Novgorod:

Season 2 wasn't even supposed to end on a cliffhanger. They didn't finish "Rickshank Rickdemption"on time and had to rush out the Purge episode to fill the gap.

Honestly, I think folks are looking for something that just isn't there and never was supposed to be there.

How would coming up with a brand new episode out of the blue save more time or money than finishing the second part of a two-part finale?

Well...I wonder where this is going. Season 3 episode 9 is out and... They really weren't kidding with the title. I knew Beth was messed up just like her father, but not to this extend. xD Also interesting to see some more interaction between the kids and their father. I still don't like Jerry, but the stuff that happens around him is usually pretty interesting or at least funny. :)

Not sure how much I like the show switching it's focus from Rick and Morty to separate parts with different family members, but so far it's okay.

sanquin:
Well...I wonder where this is going. Season 3 episode 9 is out and... They really weren't kidding with the title. I knew Beth was messed up just like her father, but not to this extend. xD Also interesting to see some more interaction between the kids and their father. I still don't like Jerry, but the stuff that happens around him is usually pretty interesting or at least funny. :)

Not sure how much I like the show switching it's focus from Rick and Morty to separate parts with different family members, but so far it's okay.

I actually think the Beth and Jerry archs has been a complete departure from sanity in this season. Beth, while far from stupid has never indicated anything like she's as intelligent as her father (if she was she would have cloned herself), and Dan Harmon had previously said that while Jerry is a stupid pathetic character he is the only one who was without deliberate selfishness, which this season spits in the face of.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

The concept of "nothing matters" is that there's no grand plan where there's a universal truth saying "this matters." If you think something matters, it's not because the universe as a whole gave a reason why it should matter. It's a collection of atoms that will eventually break down and float away. It only matters because you say it matters.

And you know what? That's fine. In the grand scheme of things we're barely a blip on the radar. But who gives a damn?

OT: I didn't mind it, but I feel like the Citadel episode should have been the finale. Also I have no idea what point they were trying to make with that Minecraft bit.

erttheking:
SNIP

So when people say 'nothing matters' what they really mean is YOLO. As in loads of shit matter to me but nothing you do matters, and I want carte blanche to be a complete asshole to everyone and its not fair to hold me responsible because...YOLO brah! Grand Scheme Brah! Cosmic Dust Brah! Quasars can kill us anytime Brah!
The Rand Paul or indeed Jake Paul school of philosophy. The Paulites as they will one day be called.

erttheking:
Also I have no idea what point they were trying to make with that Minecraft bit.

It took them years to write this season. When they first came up with that ending I'm sure Minecraft was still relevant and they were trying to be hip and with the times fellow Youtubers!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here