Do you like turkey?

Pages PREV 1 2

It's not bad, but yea, it's only mediocre as bird meat goes. Needs a lot of work to be good.

It's certainly not duck, that's for sure.

I tend to like it better the next day in sandwiches. Unless its been really well prepared.

Gordon_4:
I tend to like it better the next day in sandwiches. Unless its been really well prepared.

The biggest problem with turkey is just that, most people don't prepare it correctly. And unlike chicken, turkey is fairly difficult to do right. Basically, heating it up to "safe" temperature will ensure it is too dry. And if the bird has ever been frozen, that makes the problem worse. And most people go for big turkeys and those get harder to prepare well the larger they get. I'm lucky to live in a part of the country where getting a fresh bird isn't difficult. And my brother and I found the temperature at which you can undercook a small turkey and it will rise to "safe" while resting and not go a degree over. And we still probably screw up about 1 out of 4.

But when its done right, it's pretty good. Generally I prefer chicken, its just more forgiving and usually cheaper too.

I really don't care for turkey. I do most of the cooking for my household and always make a couple dishes for holidays and they are generally pretty good, but my family is a real ham and turkey kind of family. I get compliments when I cook turkey but it simply isn't for me. I'll make it on request and if I don't have to pay for it but I'd rather make pork, lamb, beef, chicken, duck, fish, shellfish, or venison, but turkey it is.

My stepmom prepares it really well & I loooove it!

As long as turkey is prepared well turkey will not be the dry bird meat everyone expects.I have no problems eating the large fat bird for the holidays. The problem is there is a fine line with turkey meat that takes time and actual practice to make it not dry and tender.

Perfectly understand why people don't want to touch the thing , especially if all you have had is over dried bird.

If a Turkey tastes worse than a chicken then you cooked it incorrectly. It's a tasty food.

I like chicken thigh meat more. But turkey definitely has it's own flavour and texture. It's nice for mixing things up rather than always just having chicken.

Smithnikov:
It's not bad, but yea, it's only mediocre as bird meat goes. Needs a lot of work to be good.

It's certainly not duck, that's for sure.

Or quail. Quail is almost worth the effort of preparing and nibbling on quail. Not that I cook... but I had it occasionally as a kid.

By itself? Like serving a big dry slab of it with Christmas dinner? Fuck no.

OTOH, I have a half-dozen homemade turkey-pot-pies in the deep-freeze that taste just great. It also goes well with stews and soups. And of course, you get the leftover carcass which makes a great broth.

Seriously, you can get 8-10 dinner-for-four meals out of a single turkey so I keep an eye if they're cheap. Kinda a pain because it takes a while to cook, but if you don't stuff it it cuts the time down to 2/3.

I've always wanted to butterfly one and cook it in the smoker but never gotten around to it yet.

I like it.

Ezekiel:
Honestly, it's just harder, thicker, less tasty chicken.

You probably didn't cook it right.

As part of a roast I can take it or leave it; I prefer chicken. It's the best kind of mince though (though it must be said that mince, in general, is bleurgh).

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here