Poll: For those under 35, which era(s) made up most of your childhood?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hmm...am I obliged to go on about Gen Z'ers and "kids these days?" Or are they more Generation Alpha?

Well, whatever. Born in 89, so I'm on the boundary of "early" and "core," but I listed myself as being of the former.

Well I was born in 1992 and I would say I kind of straddle the line between Core and Late Millennial culture according to the collage. I see games, toys, and movies from both sides that I owned and had a hand in shaping my interests.

Picked Core for the sake of the poll since that's when my birth date falls and I suppose I was a "kid" primarily then. I will never forgot being introduced to video games by a couple of older boys who were the sons of my mom's best friend. They put me in front of Star Fox 64 and the rest was history.

Please don't use the word "Millennial" to refer to Generation G. It's a dumb term made by dumb people for dumb people.
We weren't born at the turn of the millennium, (That's Z) we didn't come of age at the turn of the millennium (That's those worthless Gen X parasites) and it was a meaningless event to us.

For me, it's probably somewhere between "Early Millennial" and "Core Millennial", but leading towards the latter.

Most of what I remember would fall into later 90's to early 00's (I have fairly strong memories of 9/11, for instance).

I thought Millenials meant people born in the 2000s, not the 1990s?

I thought 1990s was Gen Y?

Anyway I don't remember dick from the Early Millenial culture because I was born in 92. So Core and Late is my preferences.

Early Gen Z Culture well there were great games to come out in that era, but fuck me did cartoons ended up being shitty. Phineas and Ferb and Batman Brave and the Bold can suck a dick.

Hate some of the names but...Core Mill 1996-2000.

Born in the late 80s, however, for me...the PS2 Era was the 'best' era.

The NES/SNES was childhood though.
My cousins usually had more money than brains so while they got an N64 I got a NES and SNES with EVERY core game you could think of.

Plus, the DCAU was on point for the late 90s to early 00s.
Justice League, Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Static Shock, Batman Beyond.

Good times to watch cartoons as I discovered anime and new music via Napster.

Samtemdo8:

Anyway I don't remember dick from the Early Millenial culture because I was born in 92. So Core and Late is my preferences.

Early Gen Z Culture well there were great games to come out in that era, but fuck me did cartoons ended up being shitty. Phineas and Ferb and Batman Brave and the Bold can suck a dick.

Yeah, these generations don't even have a standard date. I was born in 81. Some would class me as an Xer, some a Yer and some give me a crossover

Born in 96', and most of my childhood would be listed under "Late", but still a handful in "Core".

I'll never forget the excitement of getting a Runescape subscription in 2nd Grade.
And publicly telling a friend my password in-game so they could help me get my attack skill to level 5.

Souplex:
Please don't use the word "Millennial" to refer to Generation G. It's a dumb term made by dumb people for dumb people.
We weren't born at the turn of the millennium, (That's Z) we didn't come of age at the turn of the millennium (That's those worthless Gen X parasites) and it was a meaningless event to us.

But then how would older people able to group us all together to refuse to give us jobs?

Anyways I'm in a weird place with this image. I was born in 87 but have fonder memories playing my GBA while watching Ninja turtles on Fox than enjoying Chrono Trigger a decade before.

Under 35's eh? Well, I didn't want to post in your stinky thread anyway, I'm going to make my own, with cocaine and hookers.
Besides, my childhood was far better than yours...probably, it was along time ago, I can't really remember that far back.

Pretty sure I never left the late 90s on an emotional/maturity level...

Souplex:

Samtemdo8:

Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe are widely credited with naming the Millennials.[2] They coined the term in 1987, around the time children born in 1982 were entering preschool, and the media were first identifying their prospective link to the new millennium as the high school graduating class of 2000.[3] They wrote about the cohort in their books Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069 (1991)[4] and Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation (2000).[3]

In August 1993, an Advertising Age editorial coined the phrase Generation Y to describe those who were aged 11 or younger as well as the teenagers of the upcoming ten years who were defined as different from Generation X.[5][6] According to journalist Bruce Horovitz, in 2012, Ad Age "threw in the towel by conceding that Millennials is a better name than Gen Y",[2] and by 2014, a past director of data strategy at Ad Age said to NPR "the Generation Y label was a placeholder until we found out more about them".[7]

Hawki:
Hmm...am I obliged to go on about Gen Z'ers and "kids these days?" Or are they more Generation Alpha?

Well, whatever. Born in 89, so I'm on the boundary of "early" and "core," but I listed myself as being of the former.

Exactly this. Except i was born in 88.

Samtemdo8:

Wait what. Those shows were quite good. There's worst shows from that era to list.

Born in 1992, I'd say I was straddling Core and Late Millennial, with a strong bias towards the latter. Coming from a fairly old-fashioned family when it came to technology, and living in a place where you could only get four terrestrial TV channels, I didn't really make my first foray into international cartoons/gaming until the early 2000s anyway. Whoever made the picture missed a trick by leaving Minecraft out of Core Z culture, though. Kids who don't like Minecraft, especially boys, are as rare as hen's teeth these days.

Some from Core Millennial, but mostly Late Millennial, but only because I wasn't on the cutting edge when it came to this stuff in the picture. The image focuses on a lot of stuff I had no contact with at the time. Like, I was 6 when The Matrix came out and it's not a family movie - I saw it much later. Tarzan hits the spot, though.

Born in 84, and it's all from early to late millennial stuff for me. Some early stuff is ancient history I didn't have much to do with, but somewhere in between early and core it hits that sweet spot that I remember as a dreamlike, blissful state of childhood. Childhood itself reached into the late stuff too, though. Just not as pure anymore.

What's interesting is that I wasn't allowed many electronics as a kid, so in that regard I identify more with core to late, but my cousin, who is just one year older than me, was allowed all things, but they were poor and not on the cutting edge. So he remembers early millennial electronics and older too as the best damn time in the world and he just won't let go of this past.

Born in '83. So, Early-Core millennial? First gaming experience as a wee lad was on a Commodore 64. I sucked at almost every game and most were bootlegs. Those were during the glorious days of garage-sale-ing when everyone was selling old computer/video game junk. You could get some sweet deals back then. When I was 12 or 13 I got an NES with 15 games and a Power Glove, all for five dollars. Glorious times.

However this also means is I was a teenager during those awkward early 2000s days. Which makes us responsible for nu-metal.

Sorry about that one.

Aw... I'm 37. Apparently I'm too old for this shit. Get off my lawn, children!

What is this, an image for ANTS?

The real one needs to be at least... 3 times bigger!

(so please link to a bigger version k thx)

Born in '84. I remember the NES fondly. Atari and Commodore was for the slightly older crew, but 16bit generation was still far off by the time I started playing videogames.

Squilookle:
What is this, an image for ANTS?

The real one needs to be at least... 3 times bigger!

(so please link to a bigger version k thx)

So the Escapist restricts the maximum size an image can be displayed as. You just need to view the source image. Your browser will probably give you such an option if you right click the image or you can click this link. If that's not big enough then tough beans, because that's the biggest that comes up with a reverse image search.

Between core and late. I played a lot of SNES though too.

All I know is you damn kids are on my lawn and the only ones allowed to be on my lawn are ponies.

Bloody hell, this poll is depressing. SNES?!? Chuffing whippersnappers, I was in secondary school when the NES was cutting edge tech! The ZX Spectrum and this:

made up my childhood. Broadband? WIFI? Spoiled, the lot of you! I once spent three months of my life downloading 128k of data, and it hasn't affected me one bit!

*twitch*

Samtemdo8:

I liked both of those shows :P

I guess that having been born at the end of 1980, and being forced to repeat a year because of being sick for much of it... I was the only person in my high school graduating class of 2000 to not be a millennial?

But the early 90s stuff is what I remember the most.
Though the Saturn/Playstation were far more memorable than the SNES/Genesis, since I got the Genesis *very* late in its generation, and the SNES well after.

Born in '93, so my childhood experience was made of the Core and Late Millennial Era. I like the Core Millennial Era better, but that may just be nostalgia on my end.

JUMBO PALACE:
Well I was born in 1992 and I would say I kind of straddle the line between Core and Late Millennial culture according to the collage. I see games, toys, and movies from both sides that I owned and had a hand in shaping my interests.

I don't even have to type anything. That's 100% what I was going so say, except born in 1991.

I was born in '85 so I'd say I'm solidly 'Early Mill'. I distinctly remember the pog craze sweeping the nation, loving Batman the Animated Series and a whole slew of good quality Nickelodeon live-action shows including Wild and Crazy Kids , Legends of the Hidden Temple, Nickelodeon Guts and Hey Dude.
I also fondly remember watching Mighty Morhpin' Power Rangers and VR Troopers.
Finally, I can clearly remember a time before the internet, before smartphones and widespread cellphones and when audiobooks were simply called 'books on tape'.

People born between 1977-1983 are called Xennials.

Born in 86, would probably say that Core has the most of my childhood in it; I remember some of Early, but the bulk of my memories are from Core :)

Not being American a lot of that stuff is alien to me anyway, but what little of it does apply is firmly on the border between early and core. Shameful to see FFVII featured instead of Goldeneye or smash bros though, and seriously, get over the Iron Giant already. What part of 'nobody watched it' is so hard to grasp these days?

'89 = SNES & PS1

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or