Calvin and Hobbes and their good future.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

I love calvin and hobbes, actually am tearing up after reading the fan-fic and seeing OP's picture.

Awesome stuff.

FFHAuthor:

Denamic:
I can't really imagine much of a 'good future', if I look at it objectively.
What if Calvin finally gets diagnosed with a severe hallucinogenic mental disorder?
That seems the most likely scenario, going by his trips into imagination land.
I mean, sure, we've all had our imaginations run wild when we were young, but Calvin is on an entirely different scale.
He'd realize just how deluded and simply fake his entire childhood has been.
I think he'd go into a severe depression and eventually resort to drugs to make reality go away to regain his childhood ignorance and bliss.
Or maybe he's too far gone to even be conscious of his immediate surrounding that doesn't comply with his deranged mind by that point.

Wow...just...wow...

That's something very disturbing.

If you think that's disturbing, you should see Robot Chicken's take on it. Humorous, but disturbing.

Oh calvin and hobbes, you are so awesome.

That picture is really great. It really touched me inside when i saw that.

I had a stuffed animal that I cherished like calvin did hobbes, so thanks to this Im gonna hang on to it for my kid someday.

Ponch:
Love that strip, love the characters.
Still read the few collections that I have at my house.
This thread just re-sparked my interest in good ol' C n' H.
(And I'm totally not crying right now.)

I sense a lie...
I'm not crying, I'm sniffling due to allergies...really....

Yoshemo:

Jark212:
I get all mist eyed every time I see this:

Its gonna be alright ;u;

thank you for finishing that.
*Goes to dig up stuffed animal and C&H books.
guess I know what I'm doing for the rest of tonight.
BTW, loved OP. One of the best motivational pics I've seen in a long time.

I can see why everyone is crying, but... really?

It's not that moving...

Thanks, OP. If I wasn't already having a good day, this picture would have made my day. As it is, it's an pleasantly-unexpected ending to a great day. I don't know who did it, but I don't think anyone apart from Watterson could have done a better job. It's just perfect.

Azaradel:
I want a show of hands - How many of you went to find your old stuffed animals after finding this thread?

*hugs stuffed dragon*

I did. Twenty minutes went by and all I did was sit in the middle of my room wile I held my old stuffed animal.
*Sigh* I hate growing up. :(

OT: I loved Calving and Hobbes. I used to spend hours and hours just sitting and reading, laughing and crying. And as I got older, I still enjoyed them, even more than before. Hell, I sort of had a better understanding of them as I got older.

And something that was always on my mind: I saw Hobbes as not only a part of Calvin's imagination but also an opposing opinion in conscience. Every thought Calvin has Hobbes would sometimes have a different one, which caused Calvin's opinion to change for better or for worse. This had always fascinated me, because even if Calvin might be a wild kid, he'd become a more open minded person because of Hobbes.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, maybe I'm trying to make myself feel smarter for thinking it, or maybe I'm completely wrong, but it's something to take into consideration.

F UUUUUUUUU, now my stack of calvin and hobbes books is looking at me and i can't pull my stare away.

I miss Calvin and Hobbes, but Bill Watterson did it right and ended on a high note rather than drag it out forever Peanuts-style and kill the magic.
I will always and forever cherish the C&H memories, and fondly remember my own stuffed tiger.

Yoshemo:

philosophicalbastard:

Jark212:

You better post the second part to that, it showed up in different thread here not to long ago.

I love the comic and the OP's post was just beautiful. Thank you.

Its gonna be alright ;u;

YES! Oh thank God, yes! That first part was just soul-crushingly depressing; but that, that just made everything better.

This whole thread is just great. All this thinking about Calvin and Hobbes is making me all nostalgic. It's also giving me a whole new look on the comic. It used to be just funny adventures of a boy and a tiger and now... now its so much more to me. Making the harden pessimist in me smile a little. Think I'll make sure to keep C&H around with me just to keep the child alive in me...

*Wipes eyes* No, no I'm not crying. I don't cry. I'm just tearing up cus its late. I don't *sniff* cry.

Well, the only comic I remember for not making stupid lasagna jokes, actually not being pointless, in the vein the Peanuts are, is Calvin and Hobbes. Thanks for bringing back one of the first slice of life things I ever saw back into my brain, I guess.

Zap Rowsdower:
Actually, this was the final Calvin and Hobbes strip:

I am not sure if I should cry for the tragic irony of that strip or out of happiness for how well it ends the series.

Impluse_101:

If I had any idea how to post up the Citizen Kane clapping animation here, I would for this.

Cheery Lunatic:
My eyes are literally watering right now.

Holy crap, I am sucha softy.

I'm NOT a softy and I'm losing it right now. Crap...if I don't go watch something funny I'll never be able to go to sleep.

Sigh... Calvin and Hobbes. This thread is making me so happy. There are so many people who all can relate to the same thing.

Personally I don't like these "future Calvin" things. In my mind, Calvin never grew up.

Impluse_101:

Space Spoons:
Let me start by saying I don't usually read or write fanfiction. I was directed to this story by a friend of mine who knows how much I love Calvin and Hobbes. It's kind of sappy, yeah, but really, I think it's a great "goodbye" piece to the series, and to me, it's probably always going to be what really happened. The picture in the OP reminded me of it.

............*Goes to your shoulder and starts crying into it*

I think I'm gonna cry *starts to bawl* words can't describe how amazing this makes me feel. :' D
Thank you for that :)

I miss these comics, they were always so good.

theSovietConnection:
I miss these comics, they were always so good.

OH MY GOD.

That arc made me cry buckets when I was old enough to understand it. I didn't get it at first, but I was... what, six?

Calvin and Hobbes are still my heroes, man. Hobbes was always so funny and wise, and Calvin was such a boy!

That, and Calvinball!

If the OP didn't make me tear up, that just did. Time to go dig up my complete C&H leatherbound collection.

God I didn't even know I liked Calvin and Hobbes as much as I did until I read through some of this stuff. I'm looking for my old books now.

Calvin and Hobbes reminds me of my best friend, and the best years of my life.

Damn.

Since this wasn't part of my childhood I have to ask, Is the tiger real or was he a stuffed animal?

arsenicCatnip:

OH MY GOD.

That arc made me cry buckets when I was old enough to understand it. I didn't get it at first, but I was... what, six?

It always, without fail, gets to me.

Judgement101:
Since this wasn't part of my childhood I have to ask, Is the tiger real or was he a stuffed animal?

It depends on your point of view. To Calvin, he's real.

This made me happy. :)

Jark212:

Goddamit, I was trying to avoid that strip. I'll have to play the happy strip now, ah someone's beat me to it.

Tears saved.

While there are no girls here, you do realise this is possibly the only event ever that's managed to make all the men cry?

Azaradel:
I want a show of hands - How many of you went to find your old stuffed animals after finding this thread?

*hugs stuffed dragon*

My stuffed owl (Yeah) was taken away by my Mother. Dammit, I want that back.

Sonic Doctor:

If you think that's disturbing, you should see Robot Chicken's take on it. Humorous, but disturbing.

*SNIP*

WE. DON'T. POST. THAT. ABOMINATION.

Judgement101:

Discover it for yourself. You're never too young or old to have a friend like Hobbes.

(Obvious background is obvious : Calvin is named after John Calvin, a 16th-century French Reformation theologian, and Hobbes is Thomas Hobbes, a 17th-century English political philosopher)

Spaceman_Spiff:
Calvin became The Narrator in Fight Club.

I thought this matter was settled?

Heh. That's certainly an interesting thought. The roots are all there, anyway: over-active imagination, nihilistic/anarchistic outlook on life..

OT: Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, I think Calvin and Hobbes holds the distinction of being the one thing to have made every guy get..uhm..there's something in my eye, sorry.

That, and the final chapter of the Winnie the Pooh books.

similar.squirrel:

Spaceman_Spiff:

Heh. That's certainly an interesting thought. The roots are all there, anyway: over-active imagination, nihilistic/anarchistic outlook on life..

OT: Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, I think Calvin and Hobbes holds the distinction of being the one thing to have made every guy get..uhm..there's something in my eye, sorry.

I don't know, most everyone on here is too young to remember Bloom County, but the end to that was depressing. After Donald Trump in the body of a drug abusing cat, buys the strip and sells everyone to slave labor in other comic strips (long story), Opus walks along all the different places from the strip saying goodbye to everyone, before sitting down and saying "Goodbye... me"

Depressing.

similar.squirrel:

Spaceman_Spiff:

Winnie the Pooh never affected me like C&H did.

*hugs Pyntie again*

Calvin and Hobbes wasn't just the best comic. It was better than all the others by so much it's almost unfair. Nothing else can, nor probably ever will, compare.

The rare work that I adored (and read religiously every day in the newspaper) that I actually came to like more as I grew older. Calvin and Hobbes is the best work of its kind that I have ever read.

Oh, and I have all the books, but if you want fancy versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-v/dp/0740748475/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283995816&sr=8-1

"I've loved comic strips as long as I can remember. As a kid, I knew I wanted to be either a cartoonist or an astronaut. The latter was never much of a possibility, as I don't even like riding in elevators. I kept my options open until seventh grade, but when I stopped understanding math and science, my choice was made. There is great personal satisfaction in attending to detail and quality, and I remain very proud of the standards the strip met day after day. I also liked the responsibility of knowing that, succeed or fail, it was all my own doing. This approach kept the strip very honest and personal--everything having to do with Calvin and Hobbes expressed my own ideas, my own values, my own way. I wrote every word, drew every line, and painted every color. It's a rare gift to find such fulfilling work and I tried to show my appreciation by giving the strip everything I had to offer."

Shiny!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked