What do you think about Gated Communities?

Pages PREV 1 2

Good morning blues:

Ham_authority95:

Good morning blues:
develop any sort of empathy for the people they exploit

Who said that they exploit people? Most people I know that live in gated communities have engineering or architect degrees from 4 year colleges, so they clearly haven't "exploited" anyone to get their cash.

It's true that many of the people living in gated communities have not personally exploited people to build their fortunes. It is true, however, that only rich people are living in gated communities, and that the fortunes of the rich, especially in the last two or three decades, are built on exploitation of the working classes and the poor.

Building a fence and posting a guard to keep the poor people out just reeks of the most vile sort of elitism, if you ask me. To live in a gated community is to say that you're so rich that you shouldn't have to suffer the burden of consorting with (or even seeing) poor people. That is an absolutely vile and reprehensible way to look at your fellow human beings, particularly when it is their labour that has allowed you to afford to do such a thing in the first place. The rich wouldn't be rich without workers, and yet in a country where the bottom 90% of earners are working more hours for less pay compared to a few decades ago while the top 10% are working less for substantially more, their view of their benefactors is that they are a threat and need to be kept away with fences and guards? I don't know of a word that can summarize that view better than "vile."

The workers wouldn't be paid without the rich, either.

I don't like gated communities because of the tyoe of people that USUALLY live in them. I know a fair amount and have always felt their lives to be too sheltered, boring, and utopian.

Also, why do you own weapons for self defense? I own plenty of firearms, but having them with the intent to kill a person or persons who have unlawfully entered you property and are attempting to or are expressing intent to inflict serious, even dealy bodily harm or other present an otherwise immedate threat and have already overrun your wall, seccurity forces, and possibly the police, is silly. To carry concealed, yes but again, still silly, if you can afford to live in a gated community you probably don't visit high crime areas.

i don't really like the idea of gated communities i mean yeah they probably have lower crime rates but it feels too imposing like if you accidentally fall out of line THEY have got you.
or maybe I'm just paranoid.

I find them to be an odd concept, and by odd I mean ridiculous and semi pretentious.

Mrhappyface 2:
I've lived my entire life in a gated community, with armed guards and checkpoints. But even then, my family kept weapons for self defense. Still, many people tend to accuse gated communities of creating distrust towards other non gated communities. I think that the securtiy pays off in my opinion. What do you think about Gated Communities?

I used to work as security for a small [read: elite] gated community, and those bastards were beyond paranoid of regular neighborhoods, let alone in-city communities that were non-gated.

seriously, dog barking? obviously it was a gangbanger attempting to rape their prized fish trophy and shoot up in their bathroom.

I know not all gated communities are like this, but its the nearly self-suffiecent ones that irk me the most.

that, and the home owners association's that most have. I hate them with a passion.

Good morning blues:

Ham_authority95:

Good morning blues:
develop any sort of empathy for the people they exploit

Who said that they exploit people? Most people I know that live in gated communities have engineering or architect degrees from 4 year colleges, so they clearly haven't "exploited" anyone to get their cash.

It's true that many of the people living in gated communities have not personally exploited people to build their fortunes. It is true, however, that only rich people are living in gated communities, and that the fortunes of the rich, especially in the last two or three decades, are built on exploitation of the working classes and the poor.

Just to inform you, exploitation of the poor in NOT anything new to the past 2-3 decades.

Most rich English factor owners in the 1800's used child labor and had unbelievably harsh punishments and hours to sustain their business and wealth.(Similar to how factories in India and China currently work.)

Building a fence and posting a guard to keep the poor people out just reeks of the most vile sort of elitism, if you ask me. To live in a gated community is to say that you're so rich that you shouldn't have to suffer the burden of consorting with (or even seeing) poor people. That is an absolutely vile and reprehensible way to look at your fellow human beings, particularly when it is their labour that has allowed you to afford to do such a thing in the first place. The rich wouldn't be rich without workers, and yet in a country where the bottom 90% of earners are working more hours for less pay compared to a few decades ago while the top 10% are working less for substantially more, their view of their benefactors is that they are a threat and need to be kept away with fences and guards? I don't know of a word that can summarize that view better than "vile."

You could argue that they don't do it to "Keep away from the poor" but to "Be secure", but hey, whatevs.

theSovietConnection:
Where do you live? Your description makes it sound more like a warzone then a place I'd comfortably call home.

Military bases and middle upper class apartment complexs.

If I lived in one, I'd probably end up with a crowd of supporters around my house yelling:
"Viva la Revolution!" and preparing for the return of the Free Man. He is welcome here.

There's also the inevitable:

Science says that it doesn't do anything for security. Specific to living on an Army Base, I wouldn't want to be anywhere reasonably close to a place that holds hundreds or thousands of physically fit, combat trained people who suffer from well above average rates of PTSD. Doesn't sound particularly safe.

Because a gate will keep someone who could actually hurt you out, right?

Valkyrie101:
The workers wouldn't be paid without the rich, either.

While this is true, it is both misleading (due to the increasing income and wealth gap in recent decades) and off the point (since while I'm completely willing to accept that people don't buy into the whole expoitation thing, I don't see how you can claim that gated communities aren't a vile expression of elitism).

Ham_authority95:
Just to inform you, exploitation of the poor in NOT anything new to the past 2-3 decades.

Most rich English factor owners in the 1800's used child labor and had unbelievably harsh punishments and hours to sustain their business and wealth.(Similar to how factories in India and China currently work.)

Certainly true, but I was referring specifically to the dramatic increase in the income gap between the upper 10% and the lower 90% in recent decades, which has been increasing at a far greater pace than it was in the post-war period.

You could argue that they don't do it to "Keep away from the poor" but to "Be secure", but hey, whatevs.

That really begs the question of what rich people need to be secured against, though, doesn't it? What is it, if not poor people?

Good morning blues:

That really begs the question of what rich people need to be secured against, though, doesn't it? What is it, if not poor people?

Paranoia of crime and protection for their children would be one. I know several rich AND poor people who would shove forward hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep their kids safe from "crime".

I put crime in quotations because it can easily be avoided if you're a bit street smart and/or have a good local police system.

In the end, however, a good security system will be much more beneficial than a gated community.

If they can afford it and want to live there, more power to them.

I bet they have lots and lots of nice stuff.

Where's my goggles?

One thing nice about gated communities is it keeps ppl out. It keeps people from driving through, keeps groups of kids out. Its nice to live in a neighborhood with zero traffic other than when people leave in the am, there are no cars parking in the street, no parties with teens running around, no solicitors . Its nice to have a filter to eliminate those you don't want in. Not so much a safety issue but a quality of life one.

I don't think there is a real reason to live in a gate community, but then again i've always lived in a small town, thats almost free of crime, my grandparents live in one and mostly old folks live in theres. Which kind of makes sense, not to be ageist *I'm sure theres a better word* but I mean now there with a group of people like themselves, away from partying neighbors and other youngster things they don't understand, like Jazz.

Dags90:
Science says that it doesn't do anything for security. Specific to living on an Army Base, I wouldn't want to be anywhere reasonably close to a place that holds hundreds or thousands of physically fit, combat trained people who suffer from well above average rates of PTSD. Doesn't sound particularly safe.

Violent crimes are actually quite low in military bases, due to the number of MPs patrolling and the fact military grade weaponry is kept inside the armories. Suicide, on the other hand, is a big problem.

That you need to be guarded by security and keep your own weapons is sad (in both interpretations of the word).

Woodsey:
That you need to be guarded by security and keep your own weapons is sad (in both interpretations of the word).

I'm not paranoid. I just need extra insurance!

Do they keep solicitors out especially the religious nut bags trying to hang out at my house, drink my stuff and talk about stuff they want to talk about? If they do, I am for it. Too bad I can't afford it.

Gated Communities are usually cults and those are usual nutjobs resulting in a lot of incest and rape.

sneakypenguin:
One thing nice about gated communities is it keeps ppl out. It keeps people from driving through, keeps groups of kids out. Its nice to live in a neighborhood with zero traffic other than when people leave in the am, there are no cars parking in the street, no parties with teens running around, no solicitors . Its nice to have a filter to eliminate those you don't want in. Not so much a safety issue but a quality of life one.

Holy crap someone gets it.

Now can everyone take off the anti-rich people tinfoil hats.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked