Is 18 too young to be bitter?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

"I'm not bitter at all, and I'm 19. I've got little or nothing to be bitter about. No-one has fucked me over, I've had a good upbringing in a caring family who have enough money, I did OK in school and I'm at uni. My mates have never let me down, no-ones bullied me, and I've managed to keep life on a pretty even keel so far."

...Lucky bastard

It's perfectly normal to be all angsty and bitter at that age, but it's also utterly utterly wrong.

I was a bitter little shit at that age, and now that I'm 31, and actually have to struggle through life, as opposed when I went to school and lived with my parents and got everything handed to me, I seem to be a lot happier.

You'll grow out of it if you really want to.

well its all well in good to be angsty but bitterness takes time..its different allot of bitterness comes from years of being fucked over
I dont think you can experience that at 18 unless you grew up in a horrible situation..

Cobbs:
I just realised after 18 straight hours of doing little more than read and generally be broody, i am a very bitter person deep down. The phrase "Why bother you'll just get fucked over again" has sprung to mind many a time.
Anywho my question still stands. Is their an age limit to absoloute bitterness, and if you are udner it is their something severly wrong with you?
Thoughts, Comments, Criticism's and STFU you mopey shit's are all welcome

Well I am just as bitter as you (if not more) deep down (and I have just turned 18). Although Im learning to control it and also not to show it, because some people just dont like cynical people.

Jaythulhu:
snip...

Then you fuckin' come back to me and tell me how "bitter and cynical" you are.

Since grade 9 the only thing that has stopped me from killing myself has been the fact that my pet peeve is waste, and that would just be a waste of the perfectly able body I have. Id much rather join the army and put myself to use... To bad I disagree with the 'war' being fought in Iraq now, or else Id already be signed up. Everybody is different, my bitter outlook on life and my own life is different to everyone else's.

No, I don't think so. I was bitter and cynical at the ripe age of 10.

... I wasn't a happy puppy.

Have you met many teenagers? Honestly, I was far more bitter at age fourteen or fifteen than I am now at twenty, because of a mixture of teenage angst, being bullied and being stuck in a place I really didn't want to be. Now, at twenty, I'm probably the happiest I've been since I was a kid, even though I should probably be more stressed out.

I know it sounds weird now, but things really do get better as you get older, when you have the independence of a job, or pursuing things that interest you in college. It's really hard to put things in perspective when you're a teenager. Even in as short a space as two years, the things that seem like the end of the world now won't even enter your mind or matter to you the way they're weighing down on you now.

My only advice is - don't shut yourself off from opportunities to do things or meet people. I really regret being too shy and closed off and too afraid of other people to put myself out there and go have fun when I was eighteen. The world and the people in it really aren't as bad or hostile as it may seem in your mind, but you need to get out there and experience life in order to prove that to yourself.

..is 18 too soon.. If you mean you've been through life, spent all your hours viciously at work, being in love with your job, the challenges it brings you, all the ways it lets you flaunt your ego -- and then end up realizing it gives you absolutely no consolation that a genuinely loving hug from your girlfriend wouldn't instantly win over - then sure.

If it's about things you haven't done, and have had good reason not to, because you've always been reasonable and orderly with everything. Or if it's mistakes that end up marking you for a long while -- then no. Life is kinda long in the end, you know.

There is no time that is appropriate to be bitter.

It's perfectly fine for you to be bitter; just don't be bitter over being bitter.

Astoria:
Well if you're too young than I was beyond too young. I've been bitter since age 11.

Yay me too.

It seems the dark art of necromancy has once again reared it's ugly head O_o

Zerstiren:
It's perfectly fine for you to be bitter; just don't be bitter over being bitter.

OP is certainly 19 now. It's a good enough age to be bitter, if you ask me.

Generally I'd say yeah, but then it all depends on circumstances. I was pretty bitter at a young age, but then I grew out of it... and now I'm back in it, but I can generally attribute that to my job.

Damnit... you just cast a spell on this shit and now I see it. Oh well, whatever.

Well, I think ANY age is too young to be bitter. Life may not always go the way you expect it to, and people may not always be who they seem to be, but if you let those things stick in your head, yea, of course you'll be bitter. You gotta learn to move on from misfortunes and let-downs and find something or someone that makes you happy. Happiness is a choice, after all.

EDIT: Wow, now I feel weird for not noticing the necromancy. My dark arts detection skill must be low. -_-;

yeah, its definitely too young. Wait until your at least 55.

Cobbs:
Is their an age limit to absoloute bitterness, and if you are udner it is their something severly wrong with you?

Odds are, there is something wrong with you, talk to a doctor. You probably need to spend some time with a professional to get perspective, or you might need drugs. Very few people of any age have cause to be absolutely bitter, its almost always a mental health issue.

It's also possible that you are just slow to mature though, mid teens often have no perspective and overreact to things, you might still be in that phase.

It's a necro, but since it's up anyway...

Yeah, it is. Any age is. Being bitter doesn't help anything and can only bring you down some.

Cobbs:
I just realised after 18 straight hours of doing little more than read and generally be broody, i am a very bitter person deep down. The phrase "Why bother you'll just get fucked over again" has sprung to mind many a time.
Anywho my question still stands. Is their an age limit to absoloute bitterness, and if you are udner it is their something severly wrong with you?

its nto good to be bitter at ANY age

its never all sunshine and rainbows but your attitude an have a big effect on your life

you go through belving everything will be shit and that is what it will be

It's a teenager thing, soon it'll change to "Whats the worst that could happen?"

DoPo:

Zerstiren:

OP is certainly 19 now. It's a good enough age to be bitter, if you ask me.

Does it look like I'm capable of paying attention to fine details?

Sexual Harassment Panda:

Cobbs:

Any age is too young to be bitter...

What's bugging you?

You see the truth in it all! You should never be bitter. Sure life throwns stuff at you when you're already trying to deal with the first crap, but if it didn't life would be boring. Hell I hate what's going on in my life right now. It honestly sucks, but that doesn't matter. I'm not bitter. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, and most of the stuff going on really counldn't have be controlled by anyways. Live life to the fullest, don't be an agnsty teenager. It's not very fun. If you see the world as black an while you obviously are doing something wrong so take a step back, figure it out and fix it.

you can never be to young to be bitter!
bitterness has no age! ive been bitter since at least age 14...

DESTROY IT!

SUMMON THE BAN HAMMER!

I was bitter earlier in my teens before I figured out the whole "human interaction" thing. Things improved pretty quickly after that.

Cobbs:

I'm 20. I have been a cynical, bitter, alternatively self-aggrandizing/self-deprecating, and misanthropic little bastard since I was in junior high.

Being bitter is something that everyone is too young to be. But...it's something that a lot of us are.

I know I am bitter. For the last couple years I've had a mindset that is ridiculously apathetic and toxic, and it's taken it's toll. Most of what I've hoped for my life to be is collapsing around me, and I'm not really sure if I care.
It's still salvageable, but I give it another two years before it's too far gone to recover easily.

There is no age limit to bitterness. It is equally toxic to all ages.

my advice: gtfo out of whatever routine/environment you're currently in. The longer you sit in one place, the deeper it gets it hooks into you.
Shake it up.

Verzin:

Cobbs:

I'm 20. I have been a cynical, bitter, alternatively self-aggrandizing/self-deprecating, and misanthropic little bastard since I was in junior high.

Being bitter is something that everyone is too young to be. But...it's something that a lot of us are.

I know I am bitter. For the last couple years I've had a mindset that is ridiculously apathetic and toxic, and it's taken it's toll. Most of what I've hoped for my life to be is collapsing around me, and I'm not really sure if I care.
It's still salvageable, but I give it another two years before it's too far gone to recover easily.

There is no age limit to bitterness. It is equally toxic to all ages.

my advice: gtfo out of whatever routine/environment you're currently in. The longer you sit in one place, the deeper it gets it hooks into you.
Shake it up.

Great advice. You shouldn't be proud to be bitter. It's not a good person. People don't want to be around a bitter person, and the opposite sex isn't attracted to it either.

A lot of people are confusing angst with bitterness. A lot of you also need to harden the fuck up. Sometimes life sucks, sometimes life is awesome. Deal with the shit and enjoy the good, 18 year old talking here, you whiney bastards.

I was bitter when i was FIVE! Am i cool yet? Lets go to hot topic! Im gonna post on tumblr about how my boyfriend left me. AND ITS THE DAY PANIC AT THE DISCO ARE PLAYING :O MY LIFE IS SO TERRIBLE I HATE MY DAD.

Basically you sound like a whiney emo tumblr girl. Who has zero real world experience and is annoying as fuck because she thinks her stupid 3rd world problems are a reason to complain and act so hard done by. Hint. Theyre not.

Being bitter is a bad thing. It makes you an annoying depressing person who can always find something bad to say or critisize who is ALWAYS mopey and whiney and angsty and if you admit to me youre bitter in an attempt to look cool youve basically signed a card saying "Dont taking anything this person says seriously". Seriously. Being bitter sucks. Its a sucky charcter trait. It isnt cool or dark or edgy. Its terrible. And if you think its cool or dark youre an idiot plain and simple.

No matter what happens in life its no EXCUSE to be bitter. Its a REASON to be bitter sure but nothing excuses being a negative horrible person. Ive never had fun with or enjoyed myself with a bitter person. I avoid them like the plague. Mostly because they tend to be from age 13-16 angst age.

People can find anything to be bitter about at just about any age, and if your on the lower end of the social totem pole at second school I'll be dammed if you can get through that without a bit of bitterness (especially if the teachers are hypocritically self rigthous but never there to help you when you need it).

I don't think being all "your feeling are invalid, cry more kid" is actually going to help anyone, but at the end of the day I don't think bitterness itself achieves anything at any age.

of course not, i've been bitter all my fucking life. i'm 16 and i have the attitude of a pissed off old man.

the best advice ive ever gotten and it works is to get off the net and actually go do soemthing with your hands. go make a sculpture even if you are crap at it, go put in a veggie garden, grow a tree, just do something, anything thats physical. its amazing how somethign so simple can make you have a perspective change

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked