Women & "The nod"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

:3 Well this sounds sexu*reads thread*ohhhh :/
I guess its a guy thing, I haven't seen many women give the "nod" (that still sounds sexual)

I nod, never once saw a girl do it, as most of us have said.

Yeah I never do "the nod". You might be onto something there, I certainly think it is a male thing.

i have one friend who is a girl who does the upwards nod to mock my friends and i that do it but other than that ive never seen a woman do it

Girls usually smile at me and say hi, I think thats a lot better than just a nod. A nod sounds like I'm discreetly making contact with someone without anyone knowing, like I'm embarrassed that I know them or something.

When I pass someone I know in the street I smile and say hi..

To guys I nod, upwards to mates, down for a more respectful acknowledgement
to girls I wave (or at least raise my hand), and I always smile. best of both worlds...?

i grew up in japan and you're supposed to bow slightly as a greeting. and women always have to give respect to men, and everybody has to respect those older or higher than you. so sometimes i bow to people when im not paying attention much but otherwise i do a slight wave,a bigger wave, a hug, or a run and jump hug (depending on how well i know the person). i found that bowing to people in england makes you seem a bit weird...

oh yeah, girl btw

I didn't really think about it until now, but you are exactly right. Slight nod upwards to show that you acknowledge what they've done, nod downwards to show you are paying them respect. Between men, it can be very powerful. Haven't seen it often with women. Not even with my girlfriend, probably the manliest girl I know (personality-wise, mind you.) - but I did see some more mature women do it.
Also very interesting that this sign is pretty much international, as far as I can tell. Well, in western nations at least.

To guys: "sup man?"

Greatjusticeman:
I do the nod, mainly with guys I'm not that familiar with.

Like that one guy you work with or go to school with, you know who he is and you talk sometimes, but not enough where you are friends - so you see him and do the whole awkward nod thing.

I also raise my brows while I do the nod. With girls, I just smile. :) :) :)

I also say "sup baby?" haha

I do that sometimes, but I'm also pretty much a tomboy.

Upward is more slight acknowledgement? I do that for everyone.
But yeah, I do it. Not that many people seem to though.

some of my male friends do it but being a girl i still say hey or something. one time i did the upward nod back but that was because my braces were slowly devouring my face.

Pimppeter2:
I've never done "The nod" to a woman.

Girls get hugs.
Guys get "the nod" or a Brofist/hug depending on how close you are.

That's the way it should be.

:P

This is the law that is embedded into us upon birth.

Girls get the smile with "hey" or if close, the hug.
For dudes, its either "the nod", handshake, "brofist" or "brohug".
The last two are used for the bros that are close to you, obviously.

I don't like to nod, I feel silly doing it.

Nope, can't say I do this 'nod' thing, and I'm a guy. Can't say I know anyone else who does it either. Unless of course I'm dense as a brick and miss these things, which is likely.

Shadie777:

Pimppeter2:
I've never done "The nod" to a woman.

Girls get hugs.
Guys get "the nod" or a Brofist/hug depending on how close you are.

That's the way it should be.

:P

This is the law that is embedded into us upon birth.

Girls get the smile with "hey" or if close, the hug.
For dudes, its either "the nod", handshake, "brofist" or "brohug".
The last two are used for the bros that are close to you, obviously.

I don't know why but that made me laugh so hard. Because it is so true.

ya i do it though i am more likely to stick my tongue out or raise a single eyebrow at them. waving is too much work. guy btw

I usually do the nod towards strangers and people don't know that well. I do a quick eyebrow raise to my friends and women.
I only see girls do a wave or yell "Hi!"

I don't like giving hugs as greetings. I use The Nod occasionally, (although I'm a tomboy, I guess) usually in a joking way. I think most of the time I smile. If someone's far away, I'll wave.

Well, I am a woman who isn't particularly tomboyish and I do do that now that I think about it. When it is a close friend or family member I will normally smile and wave both hands like a huge dork, but with acquaintances or authority figures I will give a much more reserved smile and a small nod in acknowledgment, bordering on a ducking of the head if I am feeling particularly shy that day. I think it's really a matter of differing personalities and manners rather than gender.

I think, atleast in my expierience, women are more likely to wave or talk to other women. I myself partake in the nod quite often, typically as a form of respect(I am male)

You know what, now that you mention it, all of the males I know do or at least recognize this gesture exactly as you laid it out, but the females usually don't. Huh. I'll be sure to start paying attention now.

As a particularly butch woman, I always do the upward nod greeting. But, every time I do I get met with a sorta tepid response ._. Women don't seem to enjoy the nod, and men get all uppity as if you require a penis to do the nod.

I'm a dude. Now, let's explain my gestures.

With my close male friends I normally request a brofist and say a verbal greeting of some kind.
With my close female friends it's always a hug. Now, I made a lot of new friends in January, that all share my love for rock and alternative music, and they all receive hugs when I meet them. I really like hugs, and the more I like the person, the better I like the hug.

When I'm talking to a few people at once, and if one is a particularly quiet, shy or awkward girl, I'll do a friendly smile and a wave randomly while talking to the people. This usually earns me a smile.

I use "the nod" like it's described in the OP: up means "hello, I know you, and this is a light-hearted, just passing by kind of acknowledgement". Down means "I respect you", and is used for male authority-figures like teachers, along with general people that I don't know personally, but respect. I've never seen a girl use the nod, if I'm correct. I think my ex-girlfriend used it once in response to my nod. I felt awkward after realizing I had "nodded" my girlfriend.
And now I'll end the post, before I fulfil my urge to write a giant wall of text about how much I miss the times I had with my ex-girlfriend...

Personally, I do the nod all the time. It is typically a guy thing. And then, there are always the exceptions to the rule.

Lerasai:
Well, I am a woman who isn't particularly tomboyish and I do do that now that I think about it. When it is a close friend or family member I will normally smile and wave both hands like a huge dork, but with acquaintances or authority figures I will give a much more reserved smile and a small nod in acknowledgment, bordering on a ducking of the head if I am feeling particularly shy that day. I think it's really a matter of differing personalities and manners rather than gender.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel about it.

if i'm passing them in the street and don't necessarily want to speak to them i'll nod. Otherwise i'll stop and chat.

Yes the nod. The honored tradition among men. It all started when the first caveman popped on his sun glasses and leaned against the cave wall. This caveman being to cool for proper greetings simply tilted his head towards other males in a respectful manner to acknowledge their presence, with a more enthusiastic head nod for greetings. Being the coolest caveman of the day this head nod gene was, of course, passed along to nearly every male on the planet.

Which is why almost all men nod their head to each other.

FamoFunk:
I'm a Manly Woman.

I'm a manly man. Pleasure to meet you.

ineedscissors:
Yeah, I do it. Maybe you guys have noticed the up down code; up nod for people you are familiar with, down nod for strangers or people you don't know well (this nod is basically just to acknowledge their existence).

Exactly. Very handy in crowded/loud situations where you can't speak clearly, or from distances.
Someone you know, or a server/attendant at a restaurant/bar gets the upwards head tilt. Best combined with an upwards movement of the eyebrows.
Strangers and people deserving of respect get the downwards head nod of acknowledgement. Best combined with a tightlipped smile or wink depending on the intended message.

Cap'n Ninja:

Susan Arendt:
Women tend to wave. Has the exact same connotation, but is perceived as more feminine.

Aye, a wave, or a smile usually occur when I walk past someone I know walking in the other direction.
If I don't know them that well or they seem particularly involved in their own conversation, I might just raise my eyebrows momentarily in a friendly way.

I tend to lift my eyebrow during the nod, makes it more friendly!

I do "the nod" all the time - to anyone I know in fact. I think I do it a little too often =P

Interesting observation there though. I dont remember ever seeing a girl do it!

Rmember that failure to return "the nod" is grounds punishable by your or everyone you live withs death

I don't do "the nod" anymore. I used to do the respectful downwards nod with a smile if I met patients in the hallway back when I worked at a hospital though, since it's part of the job (y'know, making the patients feel welcome and all, not just an "invisible" being to be treated when we feel so).

I've also stopped acknowledging people on the street (I just walk straight past with my eyes locked in position to straight-forward), since I used to throw a smile at people I didn't know if I was in a good mood, but apparently doing so is creepy...

To people I know however I do this half-arsed salute with two of my fingers (not the entire hand). It usually makes people wave back.

This morning was the most glorious morning in the history of the earth! Peace is upon us a gift to every man, woman, and child from the Brotherhood of Nod. Victory-not just for our people, but for our spe...

oh... nevermind...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked