Things you wish people would stop recommending you (games film or tv)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

twistedmic:
I also don't like it when I come across someone (online) who recommends that I watch the British version of Being Human instead of the North American/Canadian version. I tried the original version and couldn't make it past ten minutes in the second episode. The story moved too fast, certain things didn't make sense and some of the supernatural characters seemed really apathetic/uncaring towards humans.

2nded.

And to expand on that, I hate people who tell me to watch the original of something from Japan because it's so much better and more authentic. Just because the English version doesn't use the exact same script word-for-word and/or isn't a frame-by-frame clone of the original doesn't make it bad. DBZ is hands-down better dubbed (American dubs) than subbed, and Japanese horror movies are significantly more melodramatic and less nuanced than horror films in other countries, IMO. Stop being such weeaboos. Geez.

Do4600:
Analogue controllers, yes, I know they are sooooo accurate, make you feel like you're in the game, but I draw the line at you bringing over your Xbox controller because you want me to try BFBC2 with analogue controller on my PC, not going to happen. The only game on PC I use my analogue controller for is emulation and Dynasty Warriors.(don't judge me)

Edit: wtf, my little pony? I thought that died in the 80's.

2 things
dynasty warriors is amazing, never feel shame for that, be proud.
2nd thing is you must of missed the stampede here a few months back the forums were just covered in avatars and pictures of the new show.

My little pony and Firefox.

I avoid all other types of suggestions by having said the following things frequently during my childhood:
"I hate movies."
"I hate pop music."

I hated watching movies when I was a kid because it felt like a waste of time (time that could be spent playing games) and I always tried to distance myself from pop music just to be different.

Now, however, I love to sit down and watch a well crafted movie, and I'll give any song a listen. And honestly, my friends are very similar to me (read: I don't have many friends) so I take up most suggestions and end up liking it (ie. Arrested Development, chrome, League of Legends)

thaluikhain:
Firefly. Doesn't help that alot of fans seem to somehow think the idea of a space western is completely unique.

The getting you hooked to a show that only ran for nine episodes is somewhat sadistic too.

Angry Internet Reviewer/Commentator X: I've seen some AVGN, I've seen some NC, I don't need another guy yelling at an old game/movie. I get the idea already and I don't like it.

My Little Pony: Sorry, no. Just no.

Minecraft: Why the fuck would I want a game that allows me to design things when I already do that in real life?

TF2. My God do I hate competitive shooters (this includes CoD and Halo). No matter how well I do I still feel like I lost. So many people are content to survive for 3 minutes, die and respawn. How is that fun? Don't answer that. Co-op is just fine; love L4D.

Also Bleach, or any other comparable anime. Anything with a linear plot and more than 150 episodes, please leave me alone; I don't feel like growing old with you. 10 or less episodes? I'll give it a go. Devil May Cry was awesome.

Braveheart and Fight Club. Yes, I love movies and have seen almost everything in the world. Somehow these two eluded me and for whatever reason I just don't care.

I have no idea what Ponies is/are. I've googled it and all I got was Hasbro.com.

Hmmm...

Nothing much, really. I generally try the things I hear good things about.

Though, if I were to ever ask for an anime recommendation I would get tired of hearing the terms "Cowboy Bebop", "Full Metal Alchemist", and "Trigun" repeated over and over. Especially since "Baccano!" is better than all three...

As for games? Eh. Both Bioshock and Mass Effect have barely passable gameplay, though ME2 was considerably better. Deus Ex Human Revolution was a subpar game, one whose gameplay and story fell far short of anything resembling the greatness that it was supposed to convey. Also, what I've played of KOTOR is sickeningly bad. Boring, uninteresting, bland, cheesy, annoying shit.

Movies? I dunno.

This seems to be becoming more of a "what I don't like in popular culture" thread than a "sick of recommendations" thread.

Film: Inception, Shutter Island and Devil. I'm a fan of movies with amazing plot twists and weirdness to them (like Dark City or The Usual Suspects). However, just because it's "deep" or "weird" doesn't mean that I'll flock to it and pitch a tent in my pants about it. For six months, I had to constantly tell people that I'm not going to watch any of them because I didn't want to.

Games: Call of Duty, Gears of War or any kind of shooter. I'm not a fan and I don't give a shit if I'm not part of the "cool crowd" for not playing them. I get bored with them after the first half hour, and the multiplayer aspects don't bring me any joy either.

TV: People have stopped recommending me shows because I don't have time to watch them thanks to school.

Music: *Insert indie band here*. I'm the kind of music person who listens to the same album for years. I'm not afraid to branch out, it's just that I don't really give a shit about new music or any other kind of music for that matter.

bahumat42:

Do4600:
Analogue controllers, yes, I know they are sooooo accurate, make you feel like you're in the game, but I draw the line at you bringing over your Xbox controller because you want me to try BFBC2 with analogue controller on my PC, not going to happen. The only game on PC I use my analogue controller for is emulation and Dynasty Warriors.(don't judge me)

Edit: wtf, my little pony? I thought that died in the 80's.

2nd thing is you must of missed the stampede here a few months back the forums were just covered in avatars and pictures of the new show.

Oh thank zombie jesus I missed that. It was better dead.

Any shooter,racing, or mmo game plus anything to do with non-comedy romance. I like only one shooter based game rachet and clank and that is because you can also go melee at any time other than boss fights really.

Moi: I like cute, girly, androgyny things.
People: Oh God I hate that cute girly androgynous crap. By the way you should play this it's manly.
Moi: Did you pay attention to a single word I said?

My Little Pony: for the fifty-bajillionth time, no i don't watch your fucking stupid show that is designed to get little girls to buy toys, stop fucking asking and stop shoving it in my face. also, becuase i think that of this shit does not make me an uncultured swine.

the Big Bang Theory: AKA: CANNED LAUGHTER - The TV Show. i hate how people i know always say i should watch this whenever i mention the fact that i play video games, and then they are shocked when i mentioned how much i dislike it.

Anime: my brother is the worst for this, he got me to watch one episode of one of his favourite shows once (some shit about schoolgirls) and i honestly wanted to tear my eyes out after the opening credits.

Call of Duty: every time a new CoD is announced, without fail, my mates damn near have an orgasm then constantly ask me whether i am going to buy it, to which i always reply "nope" followed by "i never have bought one and probably never will"

and while this isn't to one specific thing, but whenever someone recommends something to me by saying "It's your kind of humour!", i tend to avoid whatever it is like the plague, simply because odds are it's probably something incredibly stupid and something i would not find funny at all.

SwimmingRock:
Big Bang Theory. I'm the nerd in most of my social groups, so my friends keep insisting it's perfect for me. I've pointed out to them that the fact they all love it and none of them are nerds should tell them something, but they don't listen. Seen 2 episodes and hated it. Told them that. They still won't listen. So f'ing annoying.

Also, anything Jane Austen. I like good books, thank you kindly. Take your Victorian chick lit somewhere else. I hardly managed to sit through a movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, for Christs sake. I'm sure as hell not reading the book.

The book is better than the film,and surprisingly amusing, just saying

OP: I would definitely say music in general, I'll try most things but I know there are certain genres I find to be ungodly screeching (Screamo I'm looking at you), accept it and move on

The Big Bang Theory. There's no consistency to what kind of "nerd" the characters are. One week they're all hardcore WoW players who also have Second Life accounts, next week, they're major techheads freaking out over wirelessly getting a lamp to work from halfway across the globe. Do you see the major jump in believability? WoW isn't just a game, it's a time commitment. Where's the one guy who just grinds at WoW? Where's the techhead? Where's the sci-fi/comic guy who always tries to explain the science behind the science fiction? Nope! Too complicated! And we all know regular people can't stand complexity on television! Just paint the entire crew in stereotype and broad strokes for the lulz, rinse repeat, cash the effing check.

Also, the Final Fantasy series. Sorry, missed the train, and after seeing the eye sore that was XIII I'm glad for it. I've played Chrono Trigger and Baten Kaitos, that is all the JRPG I need in a lifetime.

"Hay! You liek metal nd stuff rite? You should listen to Bullet For My Valentine and Disturbed!"

Go away. I don't want to brag but I've listened to metal for a long, long time and know a lot about it so if I at all liked those bands I'd be listening to them already.

"That damn pony show" that the OP mentioned has nothing to do with colorful shallowness. If I had to choose to watch only one cartoon from the past decade, it would be My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. That decision is made after only one season - it's that good.

Street Fighter IV because I like Then King of fighters
Anime
Chrome and Firefox
Facebook though I finally ceded.
Vete a la versh (youtube animation).

SwimmingRock:
Big Bang Theory...

But it is good...

Bleach and Death Note.

EverythingIncredible:
Anything anyone describes as "Powerful."

That is the quickest way to get me to not check something out. That is seriously the most annoying way to describe something. ESPECIALLY for a song.

While I do sometimes describe some music I listen to as powerful, I can understand this point, because powerful in the music sense is such a subjective word. You might as well recommend someone a song because you find it "deep".

Alucard832:
"That damn pony show" that the OP mentioned has nothing to do with colorful shallowness. If I had to choose to watch only one cartoon from the past decade, it would be My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. That decision is made after only one season - it's that good.

for you. and for others. It's not THAT GOOD for all of us.

Darth Rahu:
The Big Bang Theory. There's no consistency to what kind of "nerd" the characters are. One week they're all hardcore WoW players who also have Second Life accounts, next week, they're major techheads freaking out over wirelessly getting a lamp to work from halfway across the globe. Do you see the major jump in believability? WoW isn't just a game, it's a time commitment. Where's the one guy who just grinds at WoW? Where's the techhead? Where's the sci-fi/comic guy who always tries to explain the science behind the science fiction? Nope! Too complicated! And we all know regular people can't stand complexity on television! Just paint the entire crew in stereotype and broad strokes for the lulz, rinse repeat, cash the effing check.

Also, the Final Fantasy series. Sorry, missed the train, and after seeing the eye sore that was XIII I'm glad for it. I've played Chrono Trigger and Baten Kaitos, that is all the JRPG I need in a lifetime.

Yeah that's more or less keeping me away from that show. Why would I want to watch horribly stereotyped people, who are supposed to be "ME" more or less.

I hate mainstream's view of "nerd" culture, because "nerd" culture basically is little more than doing random things that women find unattractive in men. That's also why I dislike so-called "nerds" or "geeks" accepting the label themselves.

FreelanceButler:
Oh goodness Minecraft.
I have little imagination. I don't like building things. From what I can gather, there's little else to do. I don't wanna get it.
Also the graphics. I know graphics aren't everything and all that, but I still want to enjoy what I'm looking at.
eg. Not lots and lots of boxes.

Thank you, I felt like I was the only one! :')

To a similar vein, G-Mod. ENOUGH. I don't want it, I've never wanted it, YOU DON'T PLAY IT ANYMORE so why should I get it?!

Meh, nothings really recommended to me often enough to be annoying, not in the games, tv or film category anyway. I do have a friend who goes on and on about various Youtube channels that he watches though. Sadly I haven't come up with a polite way of saying, "I don't give two shits", yet.

Anime and Video Games. A good chunk of the material people recommend to me nine times out of ten turn out to be utter shite.

League of Legends

It's a game for douchebags, Made BY douchebags. Full stop.

This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS,

FUCKING THIS!

bahumat42:
I'm sure you have had this where a series of games, or a genre, or even just a particular title you don't like and people assume because you like other tangential things you must like this even though you have played/listened to/watched the thing enough to know its not your sort of thing.

For me theres three big ones
Wrpgs (people assume since i like fantasy setting that i will enjoy these, and i just don't bioware/bethesda games mean nothing to me, not that their bad, just don't like them)

Dubstep (i listen to wide varieties of music, although last year was heavily into house and techno, and people would not shut up about this frank;y uninspired subgenre)

That damn pony show, just because i watch good cartoons occasionally (fosters home, young justice,batman TAS and huge amount of anime) that i would like the colourful shallowness of it just ahh.

Share things you wish people would stop recommending you personally.

There are none. No one hounds me about giving Nickleback another shot, after I describe how it's not only bad music but an insult to the listener.

Why complain about someone sharing their love of something with you? Why not complain about real problems? My cousin Pookie just lost a fanger!

EverythingIncredible:
Anything anyone describes as "Powerful."

That is the quickest way to get me to not check something out. That is seriously the most annoying way to describe something. ESPECIALLY for a song.

For me, that word is "poignant."

funguy2121:

bahumat42:
I'm sure you have had this where a series of games, or a genre, or even just a particular title you don't like and people assume because you like other tangential things you must like this even though you have played/listened to/watched the thing enough to know its not your sort of thing.

For me theres three big ones
Wrpgs (people assume since i like fantasy setting that i will enjoy these, and i just don't bioware/bethesda games mean nothing to me, not that their bad, just don't like them)

Dubstep (i listen to wide varieties of music, although last year was heavily into house and techno, and people would not shut up about this frank;y uninspired subgenre)

That damn pony show, just because i watch good cartoons occasionally (fosters home, young justice,batman TAS and huge amount of anime) that i would like the colourful shallowness of it just ahh.

Share things you wish people would stop recommending you personally.

There are none. No one hounds me about giving Nickleback another shot, after I describe how it's not only bad music but an insult to the listener.

Why complain about someone sharing their love of something with you? Why not complain about real problems? My cousin Pookie just lost a fanger!

i have no problem with people recommending things, but when they hound you about stuff you clearly have tried and didn't like it gets annoying.

ANd this isn't a big issue in my life its just a peeve i though i would share with others (turns out others have simmilar issues)

Accountfailed:
League of Legends

It's a game for douchebags, Made BY douchebags. Full stop.

your avatar looks like he's actually saying this lol

The bloody "Heroes of Might and Magic" and "Age of Empires" series. No, do NOT want! It hasn't aged well, it takes ages to do anything of significance because of the slow pace and the music is unlikeable.

Every. Single. LAN-party. *sigh*

Magic the Gathering. I tried it eleven years ago and I didn't like it, leave me alone!

Film: Hangover 2, Any of the Transformers films (just not a fan), Paranormal Activity

TV: The Inbetweeners (if I want to watch an ACCURATE or FUNNY show about being on the fringes of school society I'll watch "Freaks and Geeks") X-Factor, 2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, Lee Nelson's Well Good Show, NCIS

Music: Dubstep, Paolo Nutini, Noah and The Whale, Mumford and Son

Game; Any of the Gears of War franchise. I've tried them but they're just full of characters with no depth except "Grr, arg, I AM MANLY. I like to kill stuff". Yeah the marines in Aliens are pompous but they react and change and damn it at least each one was distinct from another by personality.

Shin Megami Tensei: Person 3/4, please stop reminding me I don't have these games and can't find them...

A girl once kept recommending that I watch sex in the city, because she, for some still unknown reason, thought I was gay.

Other then that people recommend their gimmicky diets or workout routines that they do, even though it rarely looks like it's working for them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked