A question about Fallout: Equestria...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So in my last post about Fan-fics a certain member told me about one entitled 'Fallout: Equestria'. This sounded like it would be right up my alley as I am a Brony and my favirote game is 'Fallout 3', so I took a look.

Seeing that there was an audiobook version for download I got all of the available chapters and I am currently up to chapter 8. but I am confused as there is another version with 43 chapters plus an epilogue, as apposed to the 19 which are available in audiobook format...

Is there something I am missing or is the audiobook simply incomplete? I can't tell and I want to know because I am thoroughly enjoying the book... help is appreciated.

Right... on a related note, I'm looking to make a mod with MLP ponies as ghouls and supermutants for Fallout:New Vegas. I'll be needing a 3d modeler.

This page has links to 45 chapters in text, in addition to the intro, prologue, epilogue, and a "10 years later" thing. But the audiobook on there also only shows 19 chapters and epilogue, so I dunno. I haven't read it.

In the future you may want to consider directing such questions to the Escapist FiM user group:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
If you join I recommend turning chat notifications off when it prompts you, as the group chat tends to be quite active.

The audio book is incomplete. The text version is finished. Ergo, go up to chapter 19 with listening, then switch to reading.

Fun fact: apparently Fallout: Equestria is over 620,000 words long, which is longer than Leo Tolstoi's War and Peace. Now that's impressive.

It's also longer than the Lord of the rings trilogy.

How long did it take to write this? Over half a million in what I imagine is the time span is in-goddamn-credible.

I still fail to see how MLP would fit in, in the Fallout universe.

Yeah, the audiobook is incomplete, so if you prefer audiobook as a format, use that up to chapter 19, then read on from there. After you're done, I would strongly recommend side story Project Horizons. It's now as long as the original Fallout Equestria and is still incomplete, so if you want more, PH is the way to go.

Keymik:
I still fail to see how MLP would fit in, in the Fallout universe.

Its not Ponies shoehorned into Fallout, Fallout Equestria takes elements and some story ideas from Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas, but ultimately Fallout Equestria is its own story.
Its quite well written too

Pinkamena:
It's also longer than the Lord of the rings trilogy.

I have to admit. I am impressed!

Fallout:Equestria is simply amazing.

I had some issues with the ending, but the story itself is well worth the read.

BabyRaptor:
Fallout:Equestria is simply amazing.

I had some issues with the ending, but the story itself is well worth the read.

you'll excuse me if i dont take your word for it :p

can someone post a synopsis or something? ...

I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous.

A Fan-Fiction about magical ponies in the post-nuclear apocalypse? Thats longer than War & Peace?

Only you, Internet. Only you.

Next, can we have Bratz Left 4 Dead?

Spongebob 12 Monkeys?

Tom and Jerry walk The Road?

woodaba:

A Fan-Fiction about magical ponies in the post-nuclear apocalypse? Thats longer than War & Peace?

Next, can we have Bratz Left 4 Dead?

Spongebob 12 Monkeys?

Tom and Jerry walk The Road?

I agree, the idea is simply preposterous.

Yet, it works soooo well.

I just finished the series and am on Project Horizons, which is 500,000 words long.

The internet is a wonderfully fucked up place!

woodaba:
...Next, can we have Bratz Left 4 Dead?

Ew, Bratz. We're not little girls.
Wait...

OT: I've read a few shorter Fan-Fics, like Cupcakes (Why...oh god why?) and My Little Dashie (The feels...) and I've heard a lot about Fallout: Equestria. It's just that the sheer size of it is quite daunting. I would listen to the audio books, but it sounds like they aren't complete.

woodaba:

Overtaken by a Japanese assassin. Indeed, the fact that it's longer than War and Peace says that the standard of writing isn't particularly good; the author obviously hasn't read Shakespeare's assessment that "brevity is the soul of wit". Nor has he/she read The Elements of Style. War and Peace at least had the excuse that it was a serial novel to begin with; it was written in several parts, and only grew to its length after a long time. This fan-fiction will never be regarded as a world-class piece of literature; it should therefore be assessed as a waste of time.

RAKtheUndead:

woodaba:

Overtaken by a Japanese assassin. Indeed, the fact that it's longer than War and Peace says that the standard of writing isn't particularly good; the author obviously hasn't read Shakespeare's assessment that "brevity is the soul of wit". Nor has he/she read The Elements of Style. War and Peace at least had the excuse that it was a serial novel to begin with; it was written in several parts, and only grew to its length after a long time. This fan-fiction will never be regarded as a world-class piece of literature; it should therefore be assessed as a waste of time.

So, reading anything but a world class piece of literature is "a waste of time"?

I feel kind of bad for you.

SacremPyrobolum:
[quote="RAKtheUndead" post="18.351374.13904793"]
So, reading anything but a world class piece of literature is "a waste of time"?

lol, I know.

everyones a critic.

although I dont read any books, too many words.

Freechoice:
How long did it take to write this? Over half a million in what I imagine is the time span is in-goddamn-credible.

It was a 9 month project so pretty much going as long as the fandom did finishing on Dec 25th, the last chapter was the best present ever.

Kragg:

can someone post a synopsis or something? ...

To sum it up, It is about a pony(Little Pip) who leaves her stable(vault) in search of another pony and ends up taking up a bigger task in saving Equestria. The story itself could be split into two, the main cast which is about Little Pip's adventure which mostly consists of OC characters. The other is 200 years back in which we see what happened with the MLP cast and the outcomes of their actions.

I could say no prior knowledge of any of the two universes(MLP 4th gen, Fallout) are needed as the story tells itself well. The only things you would be missing is the many nods to the both of them...and maybe connection to the MLP cast but I don't think it is needed?

It is quite a good read, enough of one to make me look at fanfics quite differently as I would of dismissed it for being one not six months ago, it is probably the best the brony community can offer at the moment(though not the only one.)

SacremPyrobolum:

Reading any piece of writing that's that long which isn't highly acclaimed is a waste of time; so is writing that much material without exercising a bit of brevity. It's a lot harder to cut down on words and still seem eloquent than to expand them out.

RAKtheUndead:

SacremPyrobolum:

Reading any piece of writing that's that long which isn't highly acclaimed is a waste of time; so is writing that much material without exercising a bit of brevity. It's a lot harder to cut down on words and still seem eloquent than to expand them out.

maybe not highly acclaimed by the world but the community holds it in high regard. I will say not everyone will like it as it probably requires you to like either one or both of the worlds to enjoy it. I would however never say it was a waste of time, We were able to see Khat grow as an author, she/he started off good but she/he only got better, to the point if she/he ever published something that wouldn't get tangled in legality, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

RAKtheUndead:

SacremPyrobolum:

Why does it matter how many words the author used?

I could have read a number of other books that "were not highly acclaimed" that together were as long as this piece and would, as a result, "waste my time" just as much.

However, it is not and will never be considered a waste of time to read anything you enjoy, no matter what it is, and let me tell you I enjoyed the shit out of this story.

ThePuzzldPirate:

maybe not highly acclaimed by the world but the community holds it in high regard.

sadly that means next to nothing even if terrible they would "love it to death" or whatever the phrase is they use

Kragg:

ThePuzzldPirate:

maybe not highly acclaimed by the world but the community holds it in high regard.

sadly that means next to nothing even if terrible they would "love it to death" or whatever the phrase is they use

I do not think this fanfiction is for you.

Kragg:

ThePuzzldPirate:

Yes and no, Yes as people will love anything, and no as EQD has to pass it. The community has called out bad fanfics before that have passed, it isn't the perfect system but if it lands on EQD, it usually is of average to great quality.

What I mean by high regard is it was the first to break the 5000 post limit, highest rated fanfic so far, mod's have been made for both FO3 and NV along with skins in TF2 and a shit load amount of art ranging from amazing to downright awful. XD

ThePuzzldPirate:

Kragg:

ThePuzzldPirate:

Yes and no, Yes as people will love anything, and no as EQD has to pass it. The community has called out bad fanfics before that have passed, it isn't the perfect system but if it lands on EQD, it usually is of average to great quality.

What I mean by high regard is it was the first to break the 5000 post limit, highest rated fanfic so far, mod's have been made for both FO3 and NV along with skins in TF2 and a shit load amount of art ranging from amazing to downright awful. XD

i stand corrected then :)

RAKtheUndead:
War and Peace at least had the excuse that it was a serial novel to begin with; it was written in several parts, and only grew to its length after a long time.

But this was written the same way...like most of the longer fanfics.

RAKtheUndead:

You're lucky that not everyone follows your rules, otherwise we'd all be fucked.

I mean, if it's not 'highly acclaimed'? Do you need a guide of what to buy and read now? Are we going to start having reviews of slices of ham to see if they're 'worth' buying?

Not everything starts out 'critically acclaimed', doesn't mean they're any less better.
Jump into the unknown, walk into a bookshop and pick up a book that looks interesting.
Hell, i now pick books at random.

OP: Incomplete, only know that because of this thread :P

Sizzle Montyjing:

RAKtheUndead:

You're lucky that not everyone follows your rules, otherwise we'd all be fucked.

I mean, if it's not 'highly acclaimed'? Do you need a guide of what to buy and read now? Are we going to start having reviews of slices of ham to see if they're 'worth' buying?

Not everything starts out 'critically acclaimed', doesn't mean they're any less better.
Jump into the unknown, walk into a bookshop and pick up a book that looks interesting.
Hell, i now pick books at random.

A 600,000+ word fanfiction immediately says that there's a load of purple prose, or that somebody doesn't know the meaning of the word "brevity". When you pick up a book in a store at random, they're typically between 70,000 and 125,000 words; that is less than a quarter of the length of this fanfiction. That's because these books go through an editor, who savagely tells you to cut down the length of your book; only very successful authors of modern printed material typically get the leeway to indulge themselves with extraordinarily long texts.

Indeed, I think that it's more of a skill to be able to say what you want to in less words; it's all too easy to throw out thousands of words and have them mean nothing. I have experience of that. The literary indulgences of the Victorian and previous eras have largely been supplanted. For this reason, I must assess this fanfiction to be garbage, as it inherently fails to follow the minimalism which makes truly talented writing.

RAKtheUndead:
*snip*

You haven't even read it before declaring it garbage. Classy.

Aidinthel:

RAKtheUndead:
*snip*

As a matter of fact, having preempted that bit of ostensible hypocrisy, I have read some of it. It isn't impressive. The first-person style is turgid. I've seen a few errors of typography and vocabulary which would never make it past a good editor. They didn't even make it past me. It is, in short, pointless; perhaps on the higher end of Sturgeon's Law in that it is at least somewhat readable, but it certainly does not seem to have been worth the effort of several hundreds of thousands of words.

Kragg:

ThePuzzldPirate:

Kragg:

i stand corrected then :)

It's one of my favourite fan fictions ever, and I'm usually very fussy over what fan stories I choose to read. Makes me happy I'm part of what is a wonderful fandom.

RAKtheUndead:

Aidinthel:

RAKtheUndead:
*snip*

As a matter of fact, having preempted that bit of ostensible hypocrisy, I have read some of it. It isn't impressive. The first-person style is turgid. I've seen a few errors of typography and vocabulary which would never make it past a good editor. They didn't even make it past me. It is, in short, pointless; perhaps on the higher end of Sturgeon's Law in that it is at least somewhat readable, but it certainly does not seem to have been worth the effort of several hundreds of thousands of words.

I not going to argue your with your as they points are justified and you seem to know your shit far beyond me, I can clarify some things however since I had followed when it was far from finished.

Khat started this as practice with only one goal in mind, stay with it from start to finish. She/He had admitted it herself that she used both OC character without even using any MLP cast until chapter 15 for the fact she/he didn't think she could keep them in character.

That being said, if you have read from the beginning, than yes, you will notice errors, lots of them, we have noticed them too. The only reason they haven't been fixed is because she(I'm just going to go with she from here on out,) only wants one version of the story to exist for two reasons. To see her progress and not wanting to deal with questions of version she didn't make.

Another comment you made is that books are about 70,000 and 125,000 words, I am part of a group who is working on formatting it as professionally as possible for printing(personal) and it has been broken into five volumes. one and two are 278 and 319 pages respectably. Much more manageable chunks.

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying Fallout: Equestria!

The audiobook is incomplete. Chapter 21 is currently being worked on, but has been delayed due to technical difficulties.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here