Do you feel bad about "the starving kids in Africa" ?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

well, frankly no i dont care.
As a few people have mentioned I too have a few personal matters that i would rather deal with.
Lets fix our own backyard before trying to fix the neighbors as it were.

Plus if i was to be truly cold hearted the worlds pretty over populated already.

Pandabearparade:
Yes, I care. I'd donate money, but the truth is I don't think it does any good. There isn't a shortage of money being donated, it's just all going to weapons and ammo in the end, to fuel an endless civil war.

Not really actually.

The practice of giving money straight to the country's it's affecting sort of died out around Bush's first term. If you donate to the Red Cross, the money is going to the Red Cross. The governments giving money to other country's really was coming straight out of tax payer dollars, no one really donated to them. The countries with the big Civil Wars are the one's that aren't allowing donation charities to even get in.

Loop Stricken:

Send money to Africa? Watch it, or anything it's used for, be claimed by some local African warlord, or their exceedingly corrupt government officials, or any of that shite.

Likewise, why exactly would you be sending money to whatever African government in the first place? That's a ridiculous thought in the first place.

Charity organizations that actually do charity should be your first thought.

Torrasque:

My questions for you are:
Do you care about the starving kids in Africa? Why?
Do you actually do anything about it? Why?

No. Because I can't do anything about it.
Send money to Africa? Watch it, or anything it's used for, be claimed by some local African warlord, or their exceedingly corrupt government officials, or any of that shite.

I really don't care or feel bad. Because I'm not poor. And I'm not hungry. And I'm them. Therefore, it's of no concern to me

Things will probably get better for the ones that manage to survive after the majority of the warring powers in the country exhaust all their resources, draw in other countries, engage in an even bloodier trans-continental war, kill each other off and be forced to work together just to survive and eventually rebuild whatever's left of Africa.

/OPTIMISM.exe

No, because I have to deal with the fact that there are starving children in my own country.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Vegosiux:
The place is messed up, no question there.

But, anyone who wants to tug on my heartstrings with it, can go stick it where the sun don't shine. And airing "give us money" ads starring "the poor children of Africa" is no way to fix the place.

Maybe I would be more encouraged to donate to charities if they actually sent the money where it needs to go. It either goes to the government (bad) or goes toward building schools in an area that has no supply of clean water. I mean, what the fuck.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about it....

Plus I really don't trust charities these days....

When I was 15 it was the starving children in africa that start my existential crisis and final conclusion I came up with is that I had to become apathetic to everything that horrified me or I would eventually go bonkers. So my opinion on it was "oh dear that twist a knife in my heart every time I think about it" and is now a resounding meh.

Do I feel bad? Yeah, definitely. I think the majority of people on the planet are entitled to an existence better than what I, a white lower-middle class American, enjoy. Except, of course, for murderers, rapists, etc.

Do I do anything about it? No. I don't trust charities, mostly because I don't have a solid bit of feedback saying, "Your $X did this!" And I don't know which ones are reputable. As for going to Africa and helping them...no. Sorry, but no. I have a strong desire to not die of AIDS. And since 69% of AIDS patients reside there, I'm not going. Plus, there are myriad other diseases I could catch out there, most of them fatal, and if not fatal, then debilitating. I can't do much good dead or crippled, now can I?

I have my own problems that I can't fix. If I could help, I would. But I can't, so there is no point in dwelling on it.

No, not really. Its one of those things where its like yea...why are people still pumping out babies like there is no tomorrow when you can't support them? Yes people should have the right to have children, but if you're bringing them into a life of squalor one could argue that their is more you can do besides shagging all the time.
But then its like oh you can't judge them its their culture and all that hippie nonsense, so all I can do is wipe my hands clean and not really give a damn. There is only so much you can do, and if things really don't get better why just keep dumping money overseas when you have people and children in your own town/city who are homeless/starving?

I don't feel bad about it... They have my sympathy, but it's not my fault, so I don't feel bad about it!

I'm also in a job that helps countries like that, where we try and remove the people causing that infliction on the helpless public, so I like to think I am doing my bit!

JoesshittyOs:
If you donate to the Red Cross, the money is going to the Red Cross.

Well, yes, and then where does it go, though? No easy thing transporting valuable commodities through the sort of third world countries that need them.

IMHO, humanitarian aid generally should have military involvement, they (generally) have the existing logistical capabilities for that sort of thing, and they are less vulnerable to some of the problems that crop up. Also, we've got them already, may as well use them.

I always think that those adverts are rather misguided.

Yes, the situation in Africa is dire. However, the idea that we must 'save' them is entirely wrong, both from a practical and moral perspective; those adverts almost portray us as needing to be some kind of benevolent society, which is both wrong on the level of we're hardly a benevolent society, and by the fact that its sort of passively elitist of us.

In the long term, simply feeding African children simply won't solve the problem. What we really, REALLY need to do is educate the children, not as a secondary but rather as a top priority; the best way to stop children in Africa starving is to help them help themselves. Truth is the mass poverty in Africa is often large not due to arid lands or whatever, but rather the utter incompetence of their governments; educate the people, and they won't have to 'rely' on those governments as much.

Which is why I have much more respect for a charity such as One Laptop Per Child; education should always be a priority in any situation.

Yes, this is what I think of every time I see a 30 second advert. All of that.

Indeed.

edit: oh by the way, its worth noting that in the past 50 years, despite all the doom and gloom in Africa, there are only six nations in the world who's circumstances have worsened. The average lifespan in almost every single country in the world, including those in the continent of Africa has improved dramatically in the past 200 years.

Progress is being made. VAST progress.

I feel bad about it, but not guilty; I refuse to be emotionally blackmailed; these adverts have desensitised me. I help people in my own country when and where I see them, which is admittedly not often. I volunteer in a charity shop two afternoons a week when possible; more in the summer.
My family seriously reconsidered donating after the Pakistan floods, where minorities were forced to give most of the money to the government for "equal distribution" to the majorities, but not vice versa and then most of the money vanished anyway.
Throwing money at problems doesn't work; many aid agencies are guilty of obscene levels of waste and extravagance; my former geography teacher had little to say about them and their fuel-hungry "white SUVs", first class tickets and ridiculous amount of bureaucracy.

charities are most times either a fraud or one of the causes that destabilizes the country more.(like usurping the business of local farmers, vendors etc. by selling the donated products cheaper)

the church/extremists has his old, cold, dead grip on the mentality of these people.
thats why they have children even when they can't substain themselves with food or water.
and they kill and kidnap each other because some imaginary dude told them so.

one of the few things that has proven several times that it works are these microcredits.
but you first have to find someone that could give these kind of microcredits on site.
and if you find one you have to hope that he doesn't get kidnapped by some retarded warlord.

sometimes i think that africa is just beyond repair. (read about the Apartheid in South Africa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartheid_in_South_Africa)

i feel bad for them but i am no where near in a position to help them.

JoesshittyOs:

Likewise, why exactly would you be sending money to whatever African government in the first place? That's a ridiculous thought in the first place.

Charity organizations that actually do charity should be your first thought.

Yes, but no.

"Hello Red Cross, have some money!"
*On their way through Africa to help disadvantaged Africans, Red Cross comes across a toll booth!*
*DING DONG!* It's your friendly neighbourhood warchief here! I'd like some compensation for you rolling across my territory!
"Oh, but all we have are-"
THAT WILL DO THANKYOU GOODBYE!
Couple miles down the road...
*DING DONG!*

Gets to said disadvantaged; WE BRING SHOVELS! Get digging.

I think it's unfortunate, but I don't feel bad, nor do I feel motivated to send money to them. The reason why is because the ability to change the circumstances in a lot of impoverished countries is usually there, in the hands of people who have the money and power and influence to fix things for good. And they don't. Time and time again, their shitty corrupt governments keep them poor and uneducated and hungry. They don't give a damn for their people, and no one holds them to task for it.

So, when I see something that says you should send money to help alleviate the conditions of poverty and despair for one child, I can't help thinking... what's the point, when the problems of infrastructure that led to those conditions in the first place are still there?

thaluikhain:

Well, yes, and then where does it go, though? No easy thing transporting valuable commodities through the sort of third world countries that need them.

Well, it's not actually that hard. Helicopters and planes are generally a safe bet. And the Red Cross has plenty of those.

Red Cross does not give money to governments they know they can't trust. Like I said, that practice was quashed not to long ago.

IMHO, humanitarian aid generally should have military involvement, they (generally) have the existing logistical capabilities for that sort of thing, and they are less vulnerable to some of the problems that crop up. Also, we've got them already, may as well use them.

Occasionally they will rely on wheeled transportation if the government is willing to provide protection.

And I agree. The military accompaniment should be used more.

Loop Stricken:

Yes, but no.

"Hello Red Cross, have some money!"
*On their way through Africa to help disadvantaged Africans, Red Cross comes across a toll booth!*
*DING DONG!* It's your friendly neighbourhood warchief here! I'd like some compensation for you rolling across my territory!
"Oh, but all we have are-"
THAT WILL DO THANKYOU GOODBYE!
Couple miles down the road...
*DING DONG!*

Gets to said disadvantaged; WE BRING SHOVELS! Get digging.

Once again, that doesn't really happen anymore. Governments will sometimes expect a toll from charity organizations, but... like I said, that practice was quashed a while back.

In fact, that's the reason why Charity organizations are not in certain desperate countries, because of this very thing. If there's going to be violence by terrorist groups or Warlords, they're most likely going to be backed up by the country's native military, the UN (which has a nasty habit of allowing the Warlords to do this thing anyway), or they just plain won't be there.

No. Because thats life, and you can't feed everyone, end all pain and suffering, cure all diseases or rid the world of greed/avarice.
We live in a world that can be cruel, fucked up or otherwise nasty to its inhabitants. Indifference is life itself, it makes no friends, gives no quarter and asks no one if they think its fair. It just does. Random genetic accidents determine when/where/who you are born to, and what circumstances you will face.
I harbor no illusions about humanity or life, no rose-colored glasses here. Sorry if it doesn't fit in your world view but thats life.
Also I never understood how my not eating all of my food at dinner somehow affected world hunger. Whether I eat or not they're still starving. Did I appreciate food? Fuck yes. Did I always want to eat all my food? No.

In short, yes but not to a high extent.

I have a systematic approach to the whole problem. We have nice areas, with ghettos surrounding the outskirts, then past that, you more and more degraded society. You have to fix the surrounding areas, then those fix the ones next to them, eventually getting to the extreme areas (Africa.) Supplies tossed out there are quickly consumed, with no long-term effect in comparison. Think of it like a warzone. Tossing a single troop over into middle of the enemies base might take out a bit here and there before being overwhelmed but if you kept that troop with a few more, slowly working their way towards the base, you might have a chance of eliminating it.

It may be wrong but it's better than me just saying I have debt.

In a matter of speaking, I do feel 'bad'. Bad that they have to go through it and feel that pain. However, everyone I know who is always talking about how much I need to send my money to the starving children overseas, think I am evil when I mention that there are children in our own country going hungry as well and maybe they should look into that first if they start feeling charitable. May sound harsh, but, there it is.

JoesshittyOs:

thaluikhain:

Well, it's not actually that hard. Helicopters and planes are generally a safe bet. And the Red Cross has plenty of those.

Red Cross does not give money to governments they know they can't trust. Like I said, that practice was quashed not to long ago.

Ok, saying "transporting" was being overly specific. I should have said something along the lines of it being difficult to operate properly in a country with a government/power structure full of people who are dubious at best.

Everyone here can say, oh, can't do hit for em, so fuck em, and then turn around and decry every fucking injustice that has EVER occurred in America. Oh that kid had his arms chopped off? That sucks, wheres my Vita? OH MY GOWDSSSS!!! A COP SHOT A BANK ROBBER IN AMERICA THAT HAD SURRENDERS!!!?? BREAK OUT THE PITCH FORKS!!!

Can anyone explain why America is tantamount the to great Satan, but the murderers and rapists in other countries get a free pass? And before anyone says In America it's the government hurting the innocent, I Rawanda the government sponsored Military systematically rapes and slaughters innocent women because they are not from the ruling tribe.

Matthew94:
No, I'm completely desensitized to it.

It isn't my fault they have it rough and when we do send them aid their governments often spend it on weapons to fuel wars or just spend it on themselves while people continue to starve and die from disease.

Yes things are tough for them but me caring won't do shit.

You should instead send your cash to doctors without borders and similar groups, they aren't chained down by corruption or incompetence.... or borders.

thaluikhain:

JoesshittyOs:

thaluikhain:

Ok, saying "transporting" was being overly specific. I should have said something along the lines of it being difficult to operate properly in a country with a government/power structure full of people who are dubious at best.

And you're exactly right about that. It's a reason why humanity efforts (which I should have been saying instead of "charity") are complicated. It's why people are hesitant to provide relief to areas.

JoesshittyOs:

Once again, that doesn't really happen anymore.

In which case my argument boils down to; No, because I need my money and I don't care.

Loop Stricken:

JoesshittyOs:

Once again, that doesn't really happen anymore.

In which case my argument boils down to; No, because I need my money and I don't care.

Absolutely, that's your choice. In my first post I said it was ridiculous to try and guilt trip people into giving money.

I was merely saying that if you are willing to donate to charity, than don't let the thought that it's going to some warlord stop you. Because it's not.

(Oh, and maybe volunteer somewhere if you have the time but no money)

Bradeck:
Everyone here can say, oh, can't do hit for em, so fuck em, and then turn around and decry every fucking injustice that has EVER occurred in America. Oh that kid had his arms chopped off? That sucks, wheres my Vita? OH MY GOWDSSSS!!! A COP SHOT A BANK ROBBER IN AMERICA THAT HAD SURRENDERS!!!?? BREAK OUT THE PITCH FORKS!!!

Can anyone explain why America is tantamount the to great Satan, but the murderers and rapists in other countries get a free pass? And before anyone says In America it's the government hurting the innocent, I Rawanda the government sponsored Military systematically rapes and slaughters innocent women because they are not from the ruling tribe.

In the US, US citizens are being killed. US citizens are, broadly speaking, part of "us". Well, except for the ones which aren't, but nobody cares about them[1].

People that live in a country I can't find on a map, who don't speak teh good england, who are an exotic colour I'm going to compare to foodstuffs[2]...if they exist at all, they are the them.

Any nation that exists in the media/our minds solely as as a hellhole we should all care about isn't somewhere we are going to care about. The US, however has appeared in the media for other reasons, we've got actual reasons to care. Same way the guy in the movie that gets killed off has to look a picture of his family so people see him as some sort of actual person, I guess.

[1] Many OWS supporters were shocked and appalled by the actions of the police. The OWS supporters who weren't white, not so much
[2] Preferably foodstuffs with an association with slavery

No. I mean sure it sucks to be them but there aint shit I can do so why torture myself over nothing?
Besides, even if we send money to them and even if they do get it instead of the "charity" swallowing it or trying to force them to convert to religion X to get food and water (yes, some of them have been known to do that) then what? They can not afford to feed themselves. Yet they keep having more and more fucking kids.
So if I give them money then they will not learn. They will just think they are so much better off than the others in their country so they can afford to have kids, then they pop out a dozen or so and stretch resources until they have nothing to eat. So since they are not and never will be self sufficient I think the kindest thing to do would just be sent over a big ol batch of cyanide rice and fix the problem once and for all.

Yeah, it sucks to be them, but I've gotten somewhat acclimated to the concept that life sucks for a large portion of humanity. Plus, I'm in college with no money and a nice hefty pile of student loans. So I have my own finances to worry about.

And even once I get out, small gestures like sending a few dollars towards relief just seems insignificant. And I also have to ask if I really want to see Africa modernized. Certainly, it would help the conditions of the people there...

...At least, those who are still above water. The global climate is already trending towards disorder enough without another continent being brought forward into the industrial age.

Do I feel bad? Eh, a bit.

Do I hate the whole "Y U SO PICKY ABOUT FOOD, THERE ARE STARVING KIDS IN AFRICA" thing? Yep! I can dislike food if I so choose.

Sure, they have a horrible life, and it's probably going to be horrible for a long time to come. But as a few people have already said, I'd rather spend my own money on me. I'm sick of ads from the CCF, etc, trying to guilt me in to donating-especially around christmas time. Guilt tripping me is not going to get me to donate.

Summary; They have it rough, but I'd rather spend my money on me.

I try, but with all those "look at these poor starving children. pity them. PITY THEM!!!!! now, for just a dollar a day..." kind of commercials forcing it into my face all the time have made me desensitized to it. Plus being a pessimist, I wonder how much money actually makes it to the starving, puppy-faced children, those five minute long commercials must cost a fair bit to make (not to mention air time)

I often think about how much money it took to get everything and everybody included in a basic ad like that, followed by post-production, and think: Why didn't they just use that money to feed kids? And there's the fact that there is a general lazy attitude in many countries that need this. That needs to be fixed. I'm not a person who's at a point where I could donate money, but I still think that these commercials rub me the wrong way, appealing with "This kid and many others need food, for ___ you could feed them", instead of saying facts.

not enough to donate money. I feel bad, but they play it so often now, I actually start to smile and laugh at how often its played.

Do you care about the starving kids in Africa? Why?

Do in care, Haha, hell no. Why? because i believe every single civilation had to carve it's own way out, that meant suffering pain, and tons of shit that was the least bit indulgent. But all our mother countrys did it. African civilation apparently hasn't, i mean the parts which weren't colinized by england, the ones who stuck to tradional beliefs. This will sound extremely rascist, but i have no real concern for human life so alright. Natural selection, they are dying. let em, Really wanna help em out, alright, teach em irrigation, farming tecniques, engineer wheat that grows in the environments they live in, teach them, don't give to them, otherwise they will never learn. And with the whole schooling thing, i have so many issues with that, because it is skipping the entire "survive then thrive" theme of existence, they can barely survive, make ends meet with their dirt hut an 17 brothers and sisters....(seriously...i'm sending condoms) They don't need to know pre-calculus. you know what they need? Fucking survival life lessons, how to do everything. Why hasn't someone bought them a shovel, to dig a damned irrigation system to the village. Better question, why build a village 5 miles from the nearest water source. Thats just like smokers with lighters, water isn't a once in a while thing, it is a daily put it in your mouth and swallow or you will die type deal going on. So really, i said let em die out, bring in a morally relinquished merc squad to speed up the process if you have to. Yes i know i'm a terrible person but whatever, thats what i think. You did ask.

Do you actually do anything about it? Why?

I'll send them 20 packs of condoms, 10 shovels, an idiots guide to architecture and construction. Then maybe a gps, you know, scout out somewhere better to live. And don't tell me they "can't just move" what? gonna miss the exetremly touchy flys of the dirt pit home?

Also, my question, why in the hell do those kids not swat the bloody flies on them in those commericials? i mean...thats just lazy. kill the damned thing, make it go away, throw rocks at them, don't just sit there and look cute into the controlling and scary christian white womans camera device.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here