Do you feel bad about "the starving kids in Africa" ?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I can't bring myself to care because I can't help. If I start caring about this, then I will feel bad about it, which leads to me wanting to help, but I don't have the resources to do anything. None of the attempts to help them haven't been successful in the long run so if *I start caring what will change except that I will be depressed over it?

I do feel badly for them. I donate to stuff like The Rainforest Site, and I also buy fair trade things from them when I can, but I don't believe that if I donated my money to them, it would actually go there. I don't feel guilty about it, however; it's not as if I'm responsible for everyone on the planet. And frankly, I believe that all those sanctimonious commercials with the slow, sad music accomplish nothing, save for an incentive to change the channel or hit the mute button.

If I ever become a part of the 1%, I promise I will build or finance a village in the most troubled area.

For now, I can barely keep on a budget, let alone donate. There's very little I can do that is actually efficient for now.

When I'm rich. I'll donate.
But I'll do it without the aid of other charaties, where you don't know what's being done with your money. I'll fucking go there and provide them with the infastructure they need to provide for themselves.

people should worry about their own problems before trying to fix the problems of others. i have a multitude of problems to deal with. that and this country's in some SERIOUS debt (what $300 Trillion?) people should be more focused on the troubles that affect them. if this country wern't in such debt, then there'd (most likely) be more jobs and higher pay. lets fix our own problems before dealing with those of someone else 'kay?

I feel a sense of empathy, but am otherwise unmoved by a problem across the shores of my own country.

Nope don't really care at all, all my donations go to help fight cancer.

The kids in Africa do nothing for me....but I do donate to WWF. I'd rather save tigers from going extinct. Don't get me wrong I'm not a animal over human life person, I just feel like I'm making more of a difference by helping animals. Besides, baby tigers are way cuter than baby people lol.

KiloFox:
people should worry about their own problems before trying to fix the problems of others. i have a multitude of problems to deal with. that and this country's in some SERIOUS debt (what $300 Trillion?)

$300 trillion? That's like 20 times the US's debt, what country do you live in?

Oh, hang on, how does your currency system work and how are you defining debt?

It is sad but I feal wary of giving to charities because they tend to pay themselves a lot of the donations as part of 'managment'. Many leaders of large charities have 5 or 6 zero salaries which is ridiculous.If its a charity then they should work for the bare minimum if anything at all. When you think that those images of suffering are used in such a way to guilt trip people into paying and then their money is spent like this. Another issue is what is actually causing all this poverty. It varies from place to place but many times it is due to war or dictatorships. If you give people aid then a lot of the time it is simply taken away and I believe that until these people are stopped then progress cannot be made. I prefer to give to homeless people on the street when I can because I know where that money is going. Until there are laws governing what charities can pay themselves and factors causing progress to be impossible to be removed then I will still be wary of overseas charities.

thaluikhain:

KiloFox:
people should worry about their own problems before trying to fix the problems of others. i have a multitude of problems to deal with. that and this country's in some SERIOUS debt (what $300 Trillion?)

Its probably more to do with a calculation considering he used dollars (US presumably otherwise they tend to state it). The US's debt is something like $10/$11 trillion overall which is still a huge problem. There isnt $300 trillion on the planet so id be impressed if you could rack up that kind of debt.

My attitude? Eh, somebody else'll handle it.

To those just itching to tell me "It's that kind of attitude that allows these children to continue suffering!" I offer this retort:

Good point. *goes back to watching TV*

It isn't so much that I find far away problems difficult to care about (though that is a factor), it's that I find happiness in the things that are in my life, and volunteering or really just ANY amount of work erodes at my happiness, so I ain't inclined to do it. I'm not selfish; I don't sacrifice the happiness of others to bolster my own (that's just cruel), but neither am I selfless; I won't sacrifice my own happiness just to make other people happy. I am simply self-neutral. I like where I am, and I see no reason to change that.

I did
But then the 2nd commercial
Then the 3rd
Seriously they just throw this stuff in your face way too much, trying to make you feel guilty, it has the opposite effect on me, now I just no longer care.

ablac:

thaluikhain:

KiloFox:

Its probably more to do with a calculation considering he used dollars (US presumably otherwise they tend to state it). The US's debt is something like $10/$11 trillion overall which is still a huge problem. There isnt $300 trillion on the planet so id be impressed if you could rack up that kind of debt.

nope US... i just took a guess honestly all i knew is that it was astronomically high. the fact i'm off on a number i guessed at anyway dosn't change the validity of my point though

I don't feel bad about it 'cos there is nothing I can do about it, if I was to feel bad about every bad thing in the world I would be overwhelmed and always depressed.

Do I feel guilty? Not really, I never did anything to be born in the UK and I never did anyting to them to feel guilty about.

I do get pissed when I read facebook statuses or hear people moan about first world problems, "omg, my phone is so shit, it hasn't got a forward facing camera so I can't do video calls".

Your phone can surf the net, take pics, take vids, organize your life, bring up maps, plays music, has an app for everything you can think of and you bitch you haven't got a forward facing camera!.

Also fuck them people who are ever put "FML" (fuck my life) or "my life is so shit!", you don't know what a bad life is. If you can read this post your life is infinitely better than millions of people. People who say things like deserve to be beaten till they need to go to A&E, just so they can experience a slightly shitty life for a week or two.

No, not even a little. And why would I? We're talking about people that if every one of them died tomorrow, if they never existed at all, it would have no discernible impact on my life. It simply makes no sense to have emotional sensitivity to anything so completely detached from your own life. And that's hardly limited to starving African children, there's just only so far giving a damn can be stretched.

Nothing i can do, i am not in the same postion as angelina jolie and madonna i can not change the way it is, and life is to short for me to be worried about everybody elses problems, i got my own kids to worry about my own life to worry about

There are things i want to do things i want to see.

Call me selfish if you wish i dont really give a shit, but there is NOTHING i can do for those kids, how about they just calm down on the breading over there.

Honestly? Having never been to Africa, sometimes I wonder if it isn't all some huge scam xD

Seriously though, I've been seeing these same pictures and hearing about millions and millions and millions, just from my country, being sent there every year and yet, the pictures and problems remain the same. So, either they don't know what to actually do to help or the money isn't reaching that destination, either way, it will go to better use if it just stays in my pocket then.

Do you feel bad? It's kind of saddening yes
Do you feel guilty? We all should, its out ruthless exploitation and lifestyle that directly causes the disparity.

Not only the mining sector but also the food sector. Developed countries tend to produce more food products than they consume, such that they can fall back on it if food imports become expensive. However overproducing food means the prices plummet and farmers in developed countries go broke. So usually the govmt. Sets a quota, a max amount to be produced and buys all excess from farmers at low price. This excess food is either destroyed, sent to the local poor, or sent to africa as "aid".

But all this food aid really does is wreck the local food economy because you cant compete with free.

so "send food" doest help, "send money" doesnt help either because it end up in the pockets of local corrupt politicians.

and you cant go there and send officials or people that tell them what to do to get better economic growth because they see that as western oppression.

oh one last thing, famine isnt the worst of the problems in africa, its just that they cant show the results of civil war in some of its countries.

I'm a bleeding heart, really.
So I will probably feel bad about anything if I think about it long enough.

Unfortunately, I'm broke at the moment, so there's nothing I can do. But hopefully when I am in a better position I will be able to donate to charity.
Figuring out which charity will probably send me into a week-long guilt spiral.

If i had the money, i would, but much like an earlier poster; i can just about take care of my necessities.
But I'd never donate to places that i feel are guilt tripping me; Charity is an act of Kindness, not an act to gain amnesty from Guilt.

I think we need to fix up our own country before helping others, sure they're life sucks right now but all we're doing is making it suck a little less while the homeless on our streets starve to death, seems kinda counter productive when you plan on helping everyone EXCEPT the people next door.
I'm sure any other 3rd world country should be able to deal with it now right? I mean it's been several years they MUST of found some way to stay alive besides donations, do they just twiddle their thumbs waiting for the food? no. They're probably fine, TV is over dramatizing it.

No, I do not care or feel bad. I am not the reason behind it so why should I actually care? And even if I were the cause of their "suffering" I would still not care because then I would be a super-villain running the world.

Besides I have my own problems... Like, wether to buy Mass Effect 3 new or wait for used.

Would I ever donate? No, what if I had tons of cash? Hell no, I would donate to proper needs, like scientific advances (that maybe one day can feed them). Not temporarily feeding people that contribute nothing.

Do you care about the starving kids in Africa?[/QUOTE]

Only a little. The problem is that right now my country is in the hole. 1 in 5 children are below the poverty line in America http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/more-than-1-in-5-american-children-are-now-living-below-the-poverty-line Right now I am much more concerned about my own country than worrying about others.

[quote]Do you actually do anything about it?

No, because I myself am broke and can barely afford to feed myself.

Nope, all hail the mighty power of evolution...

Akalabeth:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Vegosiux:
The place is messed up, no question there.

But, anyone who wants to tug on my heartstrings with it, can go stick it where the sun don't shine. And airing "give us money" ads starring "the poor children of Africa" is no way to fix the place.

Maybe I would be more encouraged to donate to charities if they actually sent the money where it needs to go. It either goes to the government (bad) or goes toward building schools in an area that has no supply of clean water. I mean, what the fuck.

I suggest you provide proof to back up those claims. People who devote their lives to these charities and risk disease and war themselves I would think have a little knowledge on how best to help people in a given area. It is their JOB after all.

Yeah, because if you have a certain job, you automatically do it well. Its not like humans do a bad job of things sometimes. No, not at all. Thats why all those millions that are donated every year reach the little African kids.

But they dont. So yeah. Obviously, someone is doing a really bad job. I dont need to work in charity for 5 years to know building a school for children that have no supply of fresh water is fucking stupid. Its also worth mentioning the people that decide where this charity money goes arent in Africa. Old Bob over there is a fucking worker, the guy who decides where the donations go is most likely sitting in the US.

I don't feed BAD about it. I mean, sure, it's sad that there is so much hardship, but the government over there is doing NOTHING about it and the population is through the roof. People send their five-year-old children to work to get more money, have more kids, send them to work, realise that they need to pay for the new child, have more etc. It's called the "circle of poverty," and there's not much I, myself, can do or WANT to do myself. If I'm privilidged enough to live in such good conditions, I want to make use of those privilidges.

yeah i do. i think its terrible people are starving.

but i dont give a rat's ass about people who are basically begging, walking around with pictures of starving children. "oh, but they have it so hard, we should help them!"

how about you get a real work, and donate some money, instead of begging?

and lets not forget that most of those big corporations collecting money are trying to make a profit through investing the money they get. how is it bad? well, "humanitarian organisation" investing in cluster-bomb factories seems stupid to me..... lets not forget their nice offices costing mountains of cash EVERY FRIGGIN DAY.

a couple of years before i donated, not often, but sometimes i did. now, after seeing that massive amount of bullshit.... im just pissed that they are basically basing their existence and luxury on other peoples misery.

edit: right now im more of "leave them alone, they will fix it someday", i read a lot of articles where people claimed that humanitarian help destroys economy. free food? send local farmers to "unemployed" list. free building? how about local building company?

I don't care, but I always think I should hate myself for not caring, but I don't...

It's an awful situation, WHY DONT I CARE DAMN IT!!

Africa is one of those truly sad predicaments. I've lived in Johannesburg for 7 months so I can tell you there's to nothing any of you can do. The problem is people are fundamentally flawed, for starters, no in power over there cares in the least about anyone but themselves and their associates.

So little of the money that goes over actually goes to them and even then the powerful ones try to cease it. So much of the little resources they have is spent on war mongering.

Most people barely have a grasp of their own languages let alone any real education. The only thing people should donate to is education programs, otherwise we're only fixing a very temporary thing with providing resources. It'll just be an endless cycle of people being born into a shitty country where few will reach 30 unless their culture and ways of thinking are changed.

The last part of what keeps things such a mess is so many countries exploit their desperate situation. The bloody CIA and countless other clandestine organizations work to keep the place unstable and easy to be exploited.

I donate when there's a new disaster, like a flood for example, but not when everything is going as expected(terrible).

Under the surface, Africa is the riched continent in terms of resources. Below the sahara there's great stretches of fertile land too. Take the human condition out of the equation and Africa should be able to feed billions of people and have a massive export $$$ surplus.

War, corruption, inefficiency, stupidity and general hopelessness is the cause of all problems.
Our governments cannot replace the corrupt regimes with our own. We learned that colonialism isn't very nice and military interventions with good intentions don't improve life for the common people either, as we can learn now in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Giving money as a matter of routine is indirectly supporting the corrupt regimes and everything that is wrong with those countries.
Through taxes and foreing aid, I already support those poor nations, where the people in charge aren't too bad: flawed democracies and promising regimes. Got that covered.

That only leaves aid after unexpected disasters to receive extra donations from me.

The people saying they don't care are funny...

Of course you care, as apathetic as you want to be... It's not always "super cool" to be apathetic, even if the internet makes it seem that way.

However, I don't donate shit.

If I was capable of living beyond comfortably, I would donate an appropriate amount... and anyone who says otherwise is a spoiled shithead, a liar, or a true asshole.

no question about feeling bad for them but I follow the charity starts at home philosophy. As otehrs said we already send them food and things but the situation doesn't change and I'd rather donate to cancer research centres. also whenever I see 1 of those adverts I can't help but htink how much did the charity spend on this ad instead of helping the children? It's kinda like when they get actors to come to charity events pleading with us to donate money and all I can think is don't you earn 5 times my salary a year why don't you donate?

Of course I do, but I'm more inclined to help people in my local area (or even myself) to get better before I go off changing the world.

Yeah I feel bad for them, I feel bad for a lot of people, including people I see on the street every day. I even avoid going out sometimes just because I feel like my brain can deal with the amount of depression I get from travelling around this city (I grew up in a rather wealthy small country state in England). Its still shit over here too, but in a different way. 1st world shit is still messed up as 3rd world shit.

But humans cannot feel sympathy for everyone, especially if they live thousands of miles away. And even if they did, it'd have to be a bloody good advert to get people to pay money when they'd much rather continue watching tv and forget about the problem that seems to never go away no matter what.

And just on a side note, I donate money to a children's charity every month, and those bastards on the streets, asking for money, you know what they said to me? They said "Well, maybe you can donate a bit more." These people were asking money for keeping some sort of monkey-lizard form dying out in madagascar or something. FUUUU!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked