What are "African-Americans" called in your country?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I personally call them coons, badgers, jiggaboos, darkies, blackies, baboons, banjo lips, biscuit lips, and africoons.

AMERICA

In any country.
In any language.
Nigger

brown; it's not politically correct, but it's physically correct.

well no actually..... I've never thought of it to be honest. Africans or Caribbeans (or Jamaican) if we really need to address them by race, (which usually isn't appropriate or necessary)

I can't speak for all of Canada of course.

what would an African-American be called in my neck of the woods ? "that American black guy"

what would a black person be called if he was indigenous ? a Scot.

what would a black person be called in the descriptive ? black.

The help...

seriously, in Canada black are called blacks.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Crenelate:
Wow. This seems more than a little sanctimonious. Of course if you know someone you call them by their name, and of course they're bloody people - you really think that's the point that's being discussed here? You're saying you've never referred to someone by a physical attribute?

Call it what you like, but referring to a group of people by attributes that they don't want to be used as a means of making them different than everyone else only perpetuates the problem.

Crenelate:
I recon everyone in my generation uses black, as in 'that black guy over there'.

Your own words.

Tell me, why couldn't you have said 'that guy with the red jacket over there' or 'that guy wearing a hat over there'? Why did you immediately have to jump to skin tone? Is it just second nature to do that, regardless of how that person may feel about you doing it?

Now I'm curious. If you see a group of 10 dogs, and you're trying to point one out, what's the first attribute you go to when trying to describe it?

RokYerBeav:
In any country.
In any language.
Nigger

Stand back guys.

We are in the presence of a real man here.

Believed in his message so much that he decided to stay on his original account without fear of backlash.

To you, oh bravest of men, I salute you!

GigaHz:

RokYerBeav:
In any country.
In any language.
Nigger

Stand back guys.

We are in the presence of a real man here.

Believed in his message so much that he decided to stay on his original account without fear of backlash.

To you, oh bravest of men, I salute you!

¿Quién es el hombre? RokYerBeav son!

Wait, wait, wait. This title is confusing, "What are African Americans called in your country?" In any country, they would be defined as black people from America.

I'm guessing you wanted to ask what people call black persons born or living in their respective country. For mine, I suppose we just call them black people. Yep...

In Canada?
Black
African
Canadian
Person
Coloured person

Depends on context, really.

Les Noirs.

Danish? Like most other Danes.

Person/Human/Coloured works aswell.

Frizzle:

Tuesday Night Fever:

Crenelate:
Wow. This seems more than a little sanctimonious. Of course if you know someone you call them by their name, and of course they're bloody people - you really think that's the point that's being discussed here? You're saying you've never referred to someone by a physical attribute?

Call it what you like, but referring to a group of people by attributes that they don't want to be used as a means of making them different than everyone else only perpetuates the problem.

Crenelate:
I recon everyone in my generation uses black, as in 'that black guy over there'.

Your own words.

Tell me, why couldn't you have said 'that guy with the red jacket over there' or 'that guy wearing a hat over there'? Why did you immediately have to jump to skin tone? Is it just second nature to do that, regardless of how that person may feel about you doing it?

Now I'm curious. If you see a group of 10 dogs, and you're trying to point one out, what's the first attribute you go to when trying to describe it?

OMgZ yoU liek totaly COMPARded BLascks with DOGS!

Frizzle:

Dogs, as far as I'm aware, don't have a long history of race-related discrimination, hatred, and violence tied very closely to the idea of making it socially acceptable to single them out and make them 'different' by using words in this way.

Here we are more advanced I guess. There's no differentiation, it doesn't make sense at all.

We say black when we want to identify someone without knowing the name, common in recalling characters in movies. "The black guy who died at the beginning". Of course it only works where they are minorities.

Otherwise there's not much to say.

girzwald:
In the US the "PC" term is "African-American". So I'm just curious as to how they are identified in other countries since "African-American" makes zero sense in other countries.

Please indicate your country of origin and the commonly accepted non racist term for black people.

I'm an Englishman who lives in America and one of my friends asked me this the other day... they, like you(?), were completely oblivious to how silly it is.

You see, an African-American is someone of African descent who lives in America, ergo they're called the same thing in any country. XDXD

I'm American and I say black....

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Kendarik:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Germany.
Nigger.
Wish I was kidding.

Is that considered a polite term in Germany, or just one that is used a lot?

Well, you have nigger in the offensive sense which is used by the majority of young people and "neger" which is used by the older generation. That last one used to be offensive but the old folks round here still use the word with no ill intended.

Actually these terms do not apply exclusively for African-Americans. They are some of the more offensive ones that can be used for black people. However there are more polite ones, too. It's sad that you are only pulling of one of these here.

We have no special expression for African-American here in Germany. All we have are "US-Amerikaner", "Amerikaner" or "Ami". These mean citizen of the USA. The colour of their skin doesn't matter. Here all of you are just "Amis".

.....black? Or "African American". Or [insert their name here]. There are lots of options in my area, I guess. Or something.

A Raging Emo:

girzwald:

A Raging Emo:
Actually, in the UK, we just call them "People".

I kinda laugh when I hear this sentiment.

So, you have no names or labels for people of a certain skin color or heritage? Everyone is just a "person"? So on forms or when the police are looking for a suspect they say "X skinned person"?

Mmmmhmmmm.

Incorrect. Their skin colour is a defining characteristic, not the name of their species; we're all human, and none of us should be labelled as "That Gay Person", or "That White Guy" or "That blonde chick". We should only use skin colour as a defining characteristic, otherwise we'll never completely abolish racial discrimination - if I have to describe somebody, I'll mention things such as skin colour, hairstyle/colour, height, and so on; until I have to describe them, they are simply "Person" (assuming I don't know their name).

On Police forms, do they only use skin colour to describe a person? Do they also leave out hair and eye colour? What about height? Age? Gender?

Precisely.

Wow.

The original question was clearly asking what the accepted descriptive term was. You have answered "black". There was a time in the U.S. when "black" was not accepted, and in many places it still isn't. Your entire lecture about "person" is irrelevant and off-topic.

Not every innocent question is your personal soapbox, dude.

American here and I call 'em black. The PC police can go soak their heads.

I live in the US, and I think black is usually okay nowadays. African-American just has too many syllables. Maybe if the PC term was "double-A" or something, I'd use it.

In the US people call them all sorts of things niggers, black, african american, etc. I personally hate the term african american. I refuse to call them that. If I'm white then that means they are black. The day some one calls me a european american I will start calling them african americans. I'm white and they are black but we are all americans which means they have a name so mostly I'll call them that.

Australians, people, guys, girls, chicks, dudes and similar. If they're African-American, we call them "African-Americans".

For black/native Australians, we call them "Aborigines", and they call themselves "Black fellas". Or vice versa.

Neger (Danish), it has no negative connotations.

Well here in America I'd call them black. Just because, you know, they might not be from America. A somewhat broader term.

In the US we call them unemployed. Other things too but they are kind of impolite.

Australia.
It just comes down to describing them as black, there is no racist intentions behind that term. What we call aboriginals on the other hand... Definitely less that friendly unfortunately.

Hmm lets see i Iceland we have blökkumağur (black/darkman), svertingi (negroid) and blámağur (blueman) but usually we don't bother mentioning skin colour unless you are describing the person to someone.

We don't actually have all that many Africans in Australia, and we don't really have a name for the ones we do have. On the other hand, Australian natives are called Aboriginals

australia here. black i guess if where talking about them seperate from whites but just americans otherwise

Generally, I use their name. If I don't know them, I'll probably say 'that guy' or something.

People. ;)

Cazza:
I live in Perth Australia. We call them Australians.

I guess if you wanted to be specific the PC word is probably African Australian.

A girl in my class once said, without a hint of sarcasm, "I don't know that many Abori... Oops! Sorry. I mean African-Australians."

I could have cried.

OT: Australian, yeah. Black is also acceptable, methinks.

Huh? African Americans, Or if they are a citizen, its African American Kenyan.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked