53.1% (370)
53.1% (370)
No
46.2% (322)
46.2% (322)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Immortality, with a catch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Meh, fuck it. I'm immortal. I get a fly to Japan, stab 40 people in the chest and then get back to England by walking underwater for a couple of years. Then, after that, Australia. You know, places far from home.

My life means more to me than most people but that doesn't mean I take someone else's.

Everyone has awesome points but there are plenty of people who are innocently convicted of those nasty crimes. I'd hate to have murdered someone and been wrong. Let the justice system have that on their conscience.

Eddie the head:

Torrasque:

As for your point about black/white arguments, I think that every topic ever has a gray area. The size of that gray area will obviously vary from subject to subject, but I think it is impossible to say "my reaction to this topic will be the same, no matter the circumstances, so the topic is black/white". That gray area is defined by the "well, it depends..." subject matter.

I will accept a lot but I will not accept that this in not black and white. This is about if you would kill people to extend your life. Who they are doesn't mater people would be doing this for the benefit of themselves only. Again be a murdering tyrannical dictator if you want, but don't act like you are the second coming of the lord when all you are is Daniel Dravot with real power.

That being said don't try and tell me this is not black and white if I am saying it is you know a believe so strongly that nothing you can say will change my mind. It might be ignorant of me to be that way but I don't care this is good and evil if I ever saw it. If you want to disagree fine, but don't try and argue it with me because I don't see it any other way and I never will.

I will agree with you that killing people for the benefit of yourself, is black and white. You either do, or you don't. There is no "I killed them for because they were bad! ...Oh and I got another year of immortality, which is pretty cool I guess". That is black and white.

Eddie the head:
That being said don't try and tell me this is not black and white if I am saying it is you know a believe so strongly that nothing you can say will change my mind.

That was very difficult to read =|
Are you saying that nothing I can say, will change your mind? If you say that, you shouldn't be on the internet. There are going to be people on the internet that disagree with you, there are going to be times that your beliefs are questioned and challenged, and if you stick to the same beliefs for the rest of your life, then you don't develop as a person.

Back on topic!
The point that I disagree with you on--and the point that I am trying to make--is that there are people saying "hey, I'd go with this immortality" who can justify killing people, with a clean conscience. Yes, they are still doing it for themselves, but they are also doing some good by ridding the world of some evil. Kind of like Mario stomping on Bowser to save Peach. Except Peach is an extra life, and Bowser is dead forever.

TheBestPieEver:
Meh, fuck it. I'm immortal. I get a fly to Japan, stab 40 people in the chest and then get back to England by walking underwater for a couple of years. Then, after that, Australia. You know, places far from home.

...Assuming that the immortality that the OP is talking about, is the indestructibility that I am assuming that it is.

OP! We need some clarification! D:

i would use my power to hunt down and live off the deaths of people like Kony, or whoever the dictator in syria is right now.

If I run out of supervillans to murder then there are always the freaking somalian pirates.

maybe but I would only kill those who were patently unjust

If I used my telekinetic powers to trigger a nuclear weapons exchange between nations and be responsible for the deaths of millions all at once, would that count as one, or millions of years? Because yeah... I'd probably just do that.

The price is just to high for what is not even really immortality.

edit

Woah, is this a question asking if I want to become the god emperor of man? Anyways, this has a rather simple solution. I'll get a job being the guy who administers the poison to people on death row. It's still technically murder, just murder administered by the state, and since I'm the one directly taking their life by executing them, I get years extended onto mine. Then eventually if the Death sentence is gotten rid of, or I just get bored of that job, I'll use my immortality and telekinetic powers to become a super hero and kill wrongdoers. I mean, not all the time or with killing every single one, but as long as I get one guy a year for as long as I feel like living, I'm covered. I'll probably try to be Batman or something, using my extended life at peak physical condition to learn martial arts and immortality to be bullet proof and whatnot. The added benefit of seeing into the future or something like that would just be icing on the cake. Maybe I'll just join the army and be an awesome sniper that can curve bullets or something with my mind.

Although this sorta hinges on the specifics of the immortality and telekinetic powers. Like do I just live forever and am still weak to being killed myself, or am I like Highlander immortal, where I only die if certain conditions are met. Also what kind of telekinetic powers are we talking here? Can I just read minds or see the future, or are we talking full-on psychonauts? Cause if I just can read minds and can still be killed normally, then I'll stick with the executioner job, and make all the money I could possibly want being awesome at poker with whatever basic telekinetics I get. Or maybe win the lottery, I dunno.

Oh, and one more thing, do we just drop dead once we go a year without killing, or do we simply cease being immortal and start aging again and lose our powers? Of course there's also the question of whether we can use our powers to kill people with only our mind. Like can I just blow up someone's head from across the room? Across the country? Or do we have to do it manually?

Not the murder part, I just don't feel like being immortal.

hulksmashley:
Well. This is the one place where being a Christian makes things really easy. No I would not, because eventually I want to go to the big happy place in the sky.

My happy place had better have kittens. I'm just saying.

And God said: Let there be kittens

Mortai Gravesend:

SlaveNumber23:

Mortai Gravesend:

Only while I'm awake. I can't be on the run my entire life, now can I?

Well why not use the powers to break out after being locked up?

Then people would still be out to get me while I slept. The social consequences of being a known telekinetic murder would suck anyway.

Except you're immortal, and as such, immune to their shenanigans.

sounds good to me. now i'll actually have an excuse to stab people randomly.
also if i ever get tired of living then i can just stop killing people.

It's a win win(except for the dead people)!

Solution:

Become badass soldier killing machine.

ResonanceSD:

Mortai Gravesend:

SlaveNumber23:

Then people would still be out to get me while I slept. The social consequences of being a known telekinetic murder would suck anyway.

Except you're immortal, and as such, immune to their shenanigans.

That doesn't mean that they can't make my life unpleasant for me.

I would get bored of living eventually. Who actually wants immortallity?

Mortai Gravesend:

SlaveNumber23:

Mortai Gravesend:

Only while I'm awake. I can't be on the run my entire life, now can I?

C'mon, telekinesis !
You can kill without getting caught! You only have to kill once a year... if you're smart you do a bunch a them now and then are free for a while.

But it is essential to stay anonymous... if people think you are immortal, you're going to be in trouble! In a cell, in a weird pharmaceutical company-owned Nazi secret lab. You can't even be caught doing something small.... if ever they have your fingerprints and then they catch you 100 years later... you're screwed.

Secret world leader (shhh):
I'll just move to america and become an exicutioner. Did i win?

Most states have done away with the death penalty, and others that haven't never use it...besides Texas. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if everything you guys know about the US you've learned from movies?

You know, that's not much of a catch, there are a lot of people on my "would kill" list, and I'm not that bad a person... certain political figures, misguiding religious leaders... many many people who harm other people, or make the world a generally worse place through their continued existence.

I could live forever, providing that greed, malignant ambition, and hate, stick around to consume people, and hurt others.

I'm half and half on the idea.

On one hand I could start being a vigilante and start killing villains for truth and justice, I could end wars with my powers.

On the other hand is that I have to kill to sustain my powers and would gain one hell of a rep, and I would piss off the big man upstairs.

Eeh, I'll get Immortality when I die thank you.

Torrasque:

That was very difficult to read =|
Are you saying that nothing I can say, will change your mind? If you say that, you shouldn't be on the internet. There are going to be people on the internet that disagree with you, there are going to be times that your beliefs are questioned and challenged, and if you stick to the same beliefs for the rest of your life, then you don't develop as a person.

This topic I will not accept this is not black and white. No nothing on this topic you can say to make me think otherwise. On. This. Topic. I am a quite open minded person the first conversation I had on this web sight was about not understanding why someone liked something so I asked I kind of get it now. I am just saying for this there is nothing anyone can say that will make me think otherwise. On THIS.

Captain Epic:
I would get bored of living eventually. Who actually wants immortallity?

I want immortality, not the kind the OP is offering but immortality nonetheless. Yes, I know it would be a nightmare, but I can't help my curious nature; I just want to know what happens next.

Fuck pizza huts $10 Dinner Box! All this fucking captchacas done is make me hate pizza hut and consider finding a new forum to frequent.

There's plenty of pedophiles, rapists, murders, and other scum that I could see myself easily dispatching.

And ya know what?
I think I'd sleep better because of it.

Go to war, kill 1000000+ enemies with my powers. Take a break.

I don't even need the catch. Everyone has to die eventually, and I think we'd all get tired of living century after century in an earthly purgatory. Living forever would suck, watching all of your friends and family die around you. Imagine how lonely that would be...

Two words: Space marine.

if i could become immortal towards everything... yes i would kill people to achieve it..

Keoul:
Heh I think after too long people would start to look like your avatar OP.

Question about it though, would abortion doctors live forever?

oh you didn't!

hensethe1:

Keoul:
Heh I think after too long people would start to look like your avatar OP.

Question about it though, would abortion doctors live forever?

oh you didn't!

Muahahaha!
seriously though it's a legit job and I'm just curious :P it applies to other jobs that could lead to death like a bad surgeon or a soldier

No. I wouldn't, even if you changed it so you only had to murder 1 person ever to gain immortality. I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with myself if I did which would kinda defy the point of being immortal.

I would like to refer people to: http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5-reasons-immortality-would-be-worse-than-death.html

This is why my answer would be No.

Murdering sure would be easy with ultra-powerful telekinetic powers. Of course I would do it!

1) Become Immortal
2) Eliminate every terrorist, warlord, dictator, rapist, serial killer and murderer on planet.
3) There will always be more.
4) ???
5) Profit. By which I mean immortality.

In a word: Yes.

In a few more words, Yes... yes I would.

I wouldn't even think twice about it. For me, there's absolutely no dilemma involved in this situation. For one, I harbor no deluded concept of the sanctity of life. I don't give a damn who lives or dies, unless I happen to be particularly fond of that person. There are decidedly few people I am at all fond of, too, which means that the field is wide open with prey.

Secondly, with telekinetic powers... there's no worry of getting caught. I'd just spend a few months learning how to fire a gun with my mind, or strangle someone, or hang them, or electrocute them from across the alley... and then I'd go to work. Best part of that is that there's no fingerprints or evidence, so it's not like I'd have to worry about getting arrested and tossed in prison like so many other folks.

So in the end, it really just comes down to "What would I do with that kind of time?"

Easy enough to answer: Whatever I Damn Well Please.

I mean, I could spend a few centuries as a local deity... read every book ever written... take long naps in the shade down by the lake. I could take a couple hundred million years to explore the Universe... map it all out... learn what makes it tick.

Of course, to do that I'd need to keep a supply of humans with me, so maybe I'd off a few old rich guys and use their money to invest in the Space Program. Fund some colonization missions, once we get the whole 'growing an atmosphere' and 'terraforming' things down, just to maximize the potential worlds we could inhabit.

I'd go on like that for a while, I'm sure, but eventually it might get a little dull.

When that happens, I figure I'll just start teaching myself genetics and biology and some ecology and the like... maybe seed my own world and watch it for a billion years or so as life grows on it. Observe them, see what makes 'em tick.

And whenever that gets dull, I'll just go back to taking long naps and lounging around contentedly.

SlaveNumber23:
You have uniquely been granted the opportunity to become immortal, your body will cease to age beyond its peak physical condition and you will gain strong telekinetic powers.
However, there is a catch. To gain immortality you must first murder a person. Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year.

This should really say you stop aging and gain strong telekinetic powers but the catch is that for each person you kill you must live one more year.
There are a lot of bad people in the world and given the power I would kill them, but forcing me to live one more year per person I kill would really make me prioritize my targets. Killing all of the rapists, child molesters, ect. would be tempting but thats a lot of years, way too many. It would be very hard to decided who to kill and who to let be, I would want to do as much good as possible but I don't want to live for too long but the longer I live the more good I can do. I think the hardest choice would be choosing to stop because if you stop someone like Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Leopold II of Belgium, Cromwell, or any of the many evil leaders, could come to power but if you just keep living then you can continue to protect people. Dieing would be a final selfish act.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked