What's the most OVERRATED genre of music?
Modern Rock (KoL, Franz Ferdinand etc.)
4.2% (17)
4.2% (17)
Rap/Hip Hop (Eminem, Kanye West etc.)
25.1% (102)
25.1% (102)
Electronic/Dance (Tiesto, Avichii etc.)
10.3% (42)
10.3% (42)
R&B (Estelle, Rihanna etc.)
7.9% (32)
7.9% (32)
Indie (Modest Mouse, Noah and the Whale etc.)
7.6% (31)
7.6% (31)
Britpop (Travis, Keane etc.)
1.5% (6)
1.5% (6)
Mainstream Pop (Lady Gaga, Kesha etc.)
40.4% (164)
40.4% (164)
Classical Music (Mozart, Beethoven etc.)
2.5% (10)
2.5% (10)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The most overrated genre of music!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I'm not sure why R&B and mainstream pop have been separated for the poll. They've pretty much merged now.

I voted for R&B, because it is just pop music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. Dubstep's kind of headed that way, but it's still just a trend at the moment.

Gonna go with hip-hop/rap. No offense meant to anyone who likes it, there are some good songs out there, but even as extremely white as I am, I know there's some MAJOR differences between what rap was in the 80s/90s...and what rap is today. There are still some good rappers out there. But the majority of them just want to pretend their thugs and make lots of money speaking fast about bitches and hos, making the same damn music video over and over again.

Im a metal/hard-rock fan yet I'm quite eclectic with my tastes and personally enjoy alot of music that reaches my ears. I like some pop, and I personally love some electronic just because of the clever use of synths that has sadly left the other genres of music.
I love most Classical apart from mozart (I prefer Hendel), and I can live with the fact people listen to rap even if I dont enjoy it.

The one thing that bothers me though, is when people feel obliged to listen to music in order to "fit in", music is a wonderful thing and as such you should listen to what you actually enjoy; and anyway since most people listen to music in their own homes or on their MP3's or Ipods their friends dont have to listen to it, its none of thier business as I told a friend when she was disgusted after noticing my Taylor Swift album nestled between Arkonas:Slovo and Motley Crue:Red White and Crue. =p

Dubstep. I despise most mainstream music, but dubstep steps up the ear cancer a notch further.

kman123:
I think technical/progressive metal is overrated.

I don't hate it...I just don't get it. And a lot of it is critically acclaimed. I just don't dig stuff like Protest the Hero, or Gojira.

I'm gonna get hate for this...

Noooooooo! Why is that? I love prog metal.

Regnes:
Current mainstream is incredibly overrated. Mainstream has rarely ever been the best music of each generation, but these days it's just awful.

Fact: If you can easily detect the use of autotune in a song with your ears alone, then the person in the song sucks and can't sing.

Fact: You can detect autotune in almost every mainstream song these days.

Fact: Autotune has become so familiar to people that the robotic sound it produces when combined with untalented people is popular.

Fact: It is now trendy to have no talent.

Nope you're wrong...

The Marmite album of 2011, but it's a great example of Autotuning done (mostly) right.

Well there isn't one genre of music I like in that poll. So, all of them.

I'd vote Metal if it was on the list. That's bound to get me a lot of hate on the internet, but that's my honest opinion. I don't hate the music itself or anything, but I don't enjoy listening to it and the way people tend to go very overboard about their affection for metal and define themselves by it seems very overrated to me.

So yeah, the culture around heavy metal. Since that wasn't an option, I voted Mainstream Pop because Lady Gaga, thats why.

Also, mandatory none of these things are overrated objectively, they are just more liked by different people. If you honestly believe one genre of music is better than another then you're just wrong.

By the way, what the hell is Britpop and why does it get a place on the poll rather than just going under mainstream pop?

Metal, so much so you didn't even put it as an option.

This is nothing against metal per se, just the fanboys. In my experience metal has more elitist fanboys than any other genre.

FateOrFatality:
I'd vote Metal if it was on the list. That's bound to get me a lot of hate on the internet, but that's my honest opinion. I don't hate the music itself or anything, but I don't enjoy listening to it and the way people tend to go very overboard about their affection for metal and define themselves by it seems very overrated to me.

So yeah, the culture around heavy metal. Since that wasn't an option, I voted Mainstream Pop because Lady Gaga, thats why.

Also, mandatory none of these things are overrated objectively, they are just more liked by different people. If you honestly believe one genre of music is better than another then you're just wrong.

By the way, what the hell is Britpop and why does it get a place on the poll rather than just going under mainstream pop?

Yes, but if we get attacked for saying metal it will just vindicate our beliefs, so it's win win.

rap hip hop because just go and listen to it. i can understand mainstream pop because its supposed to be what it is due to the fact that it is mainstream pop by definition. rap hip hop can't hang on to that excuse. any generalizations one makes about it would probably end up being mostly true. now I know a few rap hip hops songs that I thought were pretty good, but mostly the genre sounds like one boring beat holding up some jackass rambling on about himself in the manner of 3rd grader. thus I think it is overrated.

Xartyve2:
I'm the most immature little shit I know and I can do it standing on one hand. What's your excuse?

We were asked for our opinions, what we think, not a peer reviewed thesis on the topic at hand so yeah that's why no one's being objective.

Pop, and classical.

Pop - 4 (SOMETIMES 5) chords, and any flavour of manufactured 'artist' singing incredibly rehashed messages. That's it... Although lately they've really went crazy and rehashed this formula by adding a bit of rap in there too, because rap is now 'mainstream' enough.

Classical - A genre of music that is held in such freaking high regard by all the academics and scholars, purely because it's a genre on music they grew up with. Most of it is really sub par. And let's face it... BETTER 'classical' style music is created on a DAILY freaking basis. Check Hans Zimmer, creator of the inception score, Pirates of the Caribbean score, Gladiator, Batman, Titanic. All incredibly freaking good pieces, and all of them to me anyway kick the old ones arses in terms of quality.

Classical music is like modern art. There is nothing inherently special about it, sometimes it's a bit rubbish, but as long as a rich dude likes it, other rich dudes will like it, thus it will gain completely undeserved notoriety.

NubiJuan:
rap hip hop because just go and listen to it. i can understand mainstream pop because its supposed to be what it is due to the fact that it is mainstream pop by definition. rap hip hop can't hang on to that excuse. any generalizations one makes about it would probably end up being mostly true. now I know a few rap hip hops songs that I thought were pretty good, but mostly the genre sounds like one boring beat holding up some jackass rambling on about himself in the manner of 3rd grader. thus I think it is overrated.

No boring beat.

Fantastic lyrics.

I think gangster rap should be the one being held as overrated because that's what everyone seems to hate when it comes to rap.

Is it bad that I want to click on or even 3 genres in the poll?

Rap.
Dance/techno.

And maybe classical music as well.

Also dubstep, but that's less of a genre and more of a technique, really.

FateOrFatality:

Britpop was more in line with the British Indie/Rock scene than pop itself. However, it's huge popularity didn't spread as far as the UK, so it's quite understandable that you haven't heard of it.

The popular bands of the genre are, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Suede and Supergrass. With the everlasting fight between Oasis and Blur fans on who was the better band.

It emerged from the Baggy scene in the early 90's (with the likes of The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, and the Inspiral Carpets), as a Alternative to the other Alternative Rock of the day, notably Shoegaze, and Grunge, which was seen by many Baggy fans as perplexing, and too self indulgent.

In fact, many bands from the Shoegazing scene became Britpop shortly after the emergence of the scene, including bands such as Ride, Lush, and The Verve, who were originally Shoegaze bands.

It was also responsible for the decline of Shoegaze, and it's anonymity in the eyes of the British public, which is a shame because it's a fantastic genre with some great bands in it, My Bloody Valentine being one of them.

Regnes:

lacktheknack:

Regnes:
Current mainstream is incredibly overrated. Mainstream has rarely ever been the best music of each generation, but these days it's just awful.

Fact: If you can easily detect the use of autotune in a song with your ears alone, then the person in the song sucks and can't sing.

Fact: You can detect autotune in almost every mainstream song these days.

Fact: Autotune has become so familiar to people that the robotic sound it produces when combined with untalented people is popular.

Fact: It is now trendy to have no talent.

There's a problem with your first fact... All bad singers use autotune, but not all people who use autotune are bad singers.

It got popularized by T-Pain (who, interestingly, can sing), and is often used to get the modern pop sound regardless of singing quality. Stupid, yes, but it's not that bad.

I never said only bad people use autotune, I said that if you can tell a person's using autotune, they're untalented.

I'm sorry, but I just have to call BS on this one. I'm not even a huge fan of this, but "hard autotune" (what it's called in the recording world) is a stylistic choice. If any proper studio wanted to, you'd never ever ever notice autotune happening. The fact that you're noticing it means someone wants you to notice it. It's a stylistic choice, and says absolutely nothing of the talent of the singer.

I'm gonna have to go with Metal. It's not even the music that pisses me off (although unless you're Motorhead you're probably not doing anything for me), so much as this mentality from the fans and some of the bands that technical proficiency with an instrument = better music. That of course is followed by the superiority complex that says music sans traditional rock instruments is somehow objectively inferior or worse, not even technically music! If I had a penny for every time I'd heard someone say "rap isn't even music hur" I'd shoot myself. Cuz I don't like pennys. Seriously we need to phase that shit currency out stat.

TheTim:
Mainstream definitely

This includes Lady gaga, Adele, Lil Wayne and Drake (They're not rappers)and Katy Perry.

So true, if one more woman tells me Adele is talented because she is a role model for fat chicks i'm gonna slap someone.
She rhymes YOU with TOO, fuck me yeah she's the next Bjork.
When we will people learn that being able to hit a note and being able to sing with passion are two different things, I can tell when someone means what they are singing, it's called emotion and POP is almost always lacking in this department

Gerishnakov:
I'm not sure why R&B and mainstream pop have been separated for the poll. They've pretty much merged now.

I voted for R&B, because it is just pop music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. Dubstep's kind of headed that way, but it's still just a trend at the moment.

THANKYOU

I hate it when someone says "I love R&B" and I ask them what they think of motown and they clarify "Modern R&B", I groan and walk away shaking my head. POP is POP is POP, doesn't matter what "BEAT" it has, it's still shitty pop music

Spot1990:

NubiJuan:

No boring beat.

Fantastic lyrics.

I think gangster rap should be the one being held as overrated because that's what everyone seems to hate when it comes to rap.

I'm going to jump on the defensive side with

welcome to 21st century poetry

Tipsy Giant:

Gerishnakov:

THANKYOU

I hate it when someone says "I love R&B" and I ask them what they think of motown and they clarify "Modern R&B", I groan and walk away shaking my head. POP is POP is POP, doesn't matter what "BEAT" it has, it's still shitty pop music

S'alright.

No one seems to be hating on 'modern rock' particularly, so I'm just going to post this for everyone to enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Rp6SwxUtfLI

Yeah I don't know how to post videos. I did try and look through the guides to find out, but I couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Dubstep should really be an option

Gerishnakov:

Yeah I don't know how to post videos. I did try and look through the guides to find out, but I couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

just quote someone who has and you can see its just [] with youtube = videonumberbit inside of it

Gerishnakov:

Tipsy Giant:

Gerishnakov:

THANKYOU

S'alright.

No one seems to be hating on 'modern rock' particularly, so I'm just going to post this for everyone to enjoy.

Quote me to see how I did it.

Tipsy Giant:
Snip

XD Me so stupid. Cheers for pointing that out to me!

OhJohnNo:
Snip

Also cheers OhJohnNo for reposting the video!

For me, metal. I kinda like the genre but there's WAY too many mediocre bands and wannabes in that domain who just try to get their guitar/bass/drum skills to their epitome without actually thinking about good writing for their lyrics or their music.

Also, the fanboys. It has been mentionned before but metalheads are sometimes the most obnoxious people I've ever met.

Classic rock/old heavy metal (or as they used to call it, heavy metal). Now there are bands in these genres that I love, I'm a massive Maiden fan, love Clapton, started listening to the Stones and The Who (no way I can shorten that) along with many other bands of these types. But for the love of god, no, music was not better than it is now. Yes there are great bands that are still loved and in many cases still going, but you had just as much shit as we do now. It's just that those bands didn't last and have now been forgotten, don't try and tell us how it was better back then.

The kind of music that is the best song ever untill the next one comes along. The kind that was in all the top number here's but were forgotten, while songs that were underrated at the time have become classics. Very few peopel realise that popular music has been pretty terrible since the sixties.

Well it depends. On the internet most certainly Classic Rock and Metal are overrated but don't get me wrong they are two of my most listened to genres. However, here on the web they are overrated and I think we fans should be able to admit to that. In real life it has to be Rap or Pop(in general). Way too many people listen to the new mainstream chart stuff and don't bother go anywhere else and write off all other forms of music particular Metal which is just noise. Now all fans do this I admit that. Way too many people in real life say "I like all music but Metal" and they really mean I like what everyone listens to now.

I just wish Pop would stop over using and abusing Autotune. It is good to create recording effects but for the love of God you are doing it too much even Metal isn't that bad with Distortion.

Dubstep.
The fact that people can even call it good is horrifying.

It is sorta funny mainstream music is the most voted but I have yet to ever hear anybody ever say anything nice about that type of music ever :S

Torrasque:
Whenever I watch an HDstarcraft or HuskyStarcraft video, an android phone ad pops up of these girls singing Bohemian Rhapsody together over their phones. Not for the first time, I find myself sick of Queen, and that is bad. I mean, Bohemian Rhapsody is a fucking GREAT song, but when you hear it a thousand fucking times in a day, and only a snippet of the fucking chorus, it grates on ya.

Kind of like how the Beetles are a great band (I don't really like their stuff because it bores me to death, but I respect their music) but every hipster fucking girl in high school LOVES the Beetles because... Well I really don't know. I know Across the Universe got a lot of bandwagon jumpers. Ugh... People make me so sick sometimes most of the time.

The Beatles were okay until I discovered Lucy In The Sky and Come Together. Then shit got awesome.

hazabaza1:
Dubstep.
The fact that people can even call it good is horrifying.

Perhaps people like the Original 2-Step, and not the mainstream Derpstep stuff like myself for instance.

It really isn't that horrifying you know.

spartan231490:
Is it bad that I want to click on or even 3 genres in the poll?

Rap.
Dance/techno.

And maybe classical music as well.

Also dubstep, but that's less of a genre and more of a technique, really.

Dubstep is a genre as much as techno is, but I bet you're using the word "techno" as an umbrella term for all electronic music. May as well go ahead and call The Rolling Stones death metal as they all use distorted guitars, bass and drums - right? Black metal isn't really a genre either as it's more of a technique...

/silliness.

I think the problem with the poll is that the genres aren't "equal". There are several different kinds of rock music listed yet rap only gets one. All electronic music gets shovelled in with commercial dance which could really just be considered "mainstream pop" because that's essentially what it is, the same applies to modern rnb.

It's a fun thread anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or