Zombie Apocalypse scenario: What will you do?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Realistically? I'd grab the bayonet I have in my drawer, the small first-aid kit, and pelt down to the local supermarket, which fortunately has a gun shop nearby. Only air rifles and shotguns though, few guns in the UK.

Heronblade:
ze snip

Wow, that is a lot of thought you've put in there. Shame you've forgotten the most important aspect of preparation: Mass. Even when you don't consider all the ancillary gear and backup weapons that you'd have to load in the FED (which might not even fit in it), the main armament you'd be carrying about (plus extra ammunition and tools) would weigh between 25-50 pounds, which makes moving around not only difficult but uncomfortable as well. You'd pass out trying to lug all that around should things go belly up, even if you try to minimize what you carry and stick to your vehicle for most travel.

It's far more preferable to simply wear some boiled leather (which you can get at any sports shop that offers motorcycle equipment), as it's a fraction of the weight of your armor, fluid-proof, relatively easy to wear, and still retains a decent amount of protection against bites (humans don't really have a jaw strong enough to bite through most heavy leathers without requiring a fair bit of time to chew, and if you let a zombie munch on you for that long, you've got bigger problems than simple protection). Add to that a shortbow or crossbow with about 30 arrows/bolts and a crowbar, and you've got a renewable armament that's not only silent and utilitarian but at less than 15 pounds wouldn't even wear out a schoolkid on a long traverse (say for example if your car ran out of gas).

Of course, the entire situation is rendered moot because the zombie apocalypse situation wouldn't last a month. The reason? Because zombies aren't a long term threat.

The most traditional form of a zombie is a corpse, and one thing that every corpse does is decay. After about three weeks of decay in open air there would be nothing left of the undead buggers except a bunch of bones and the few rags they were wearing. Even the more realistic "infected" idea of zombies wouldn't work either, because they're limited by the same biological requirements as we regular humans are. They'd starve within weeks of being infected, as their primary food source becomes rare insanely quickly after Z-day and they lack any form of proper hunting skills necessary to catch other prey. Hell help them if the ZA occurs in a winter environment, as they'd be frozen solid within hours, and the whole ordeal would be over in a matter of days.

So really all I have to do is go to my local grocery store, fill up a minivan with water bottles, canned goods, and some reading material, hightail it to a place with strong lockable doors (4eg a police station) and I can quite literally wait out the Apocalypse.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

You just need an AA12 bro. That weapon is easy to use and impossible to break.

Sure, I'll just pop down to the AA12 shop around the corner...

Funny thing is you can probably do that in the US.

lolmerica

While we have awesome stores like Cabelas and other various hunting/gun stores, in an apocalypse setting they would be the first to be raided by hundreds of angry rednecks that don't care about your well-being....

and probably aren't above murder for a weapon.

The Heik:

Heronblade:
ze snip

Wow, that is a lot of thought you've put in there. Shame you've forgotten the most important aspect of preparation: Mass. Even when you don't consider all the ancillary gear and backup weapons that you'd have to load in the FED (which might not even fit in it), the main armament you'd be carrying about (plus extra ammunition and tools) would weigh between 25-50 pounds, which makes moving around not only difficult but uncomfortable as well. You'd pass out trying to lug all that around should things go belly up, even if you try to minimize what you carry and stick to your vehicle for most travel.

-I have no intention of carrying everything around with me, only having it available if a situation calls for it. The riot gear for example would only be donned if poking into a close quarters area. I'm also a big strong guy used to lugging crap around to little purpose.
-I've packed for major outdoor trips using a vehicle roughly the size of the FED before, the guns, armor, and compact generators being the only items I haven't had to account for before. Somehow I think I can get them to fit into the roughly 40 cubic feet of space I normally leave empty (to be later filled by other campers and their personal stuff)
-When push comes to shove, that list is what I would take if all preparations go perfectly (a somewhat unlikely scenario all things considered), fully intending to leave some behind if and when necessary. If forced to pare that list down only to the absolute bare essentials, I could still make the plan work with a little extra luck while bringing only a hiking bag filled with 60 lbs of gear. Of course, I would be stealing a few cars from the dead on the way, and scavenging quite a bit more than intended in that case, both actions increase the risk substantially. Also, if that occurs, I might actually change gears and head south, hot weather gear has less mass and bulk to them, and heat can do the same job cold will, although not nearly as cleanly.

chainmail shark suit. Can't bite through that.

Grab a machete.

Get an array of knives.

Then move from place to place, boarding up buildings then repeating.

Fool proof!

Good to see these haven't gone completey out of style. Well, beginning with the equipment:

Weapons:
-M14 or similar style battle rifle. Automatic fire generally isn't needed in regards to zombies.
-.44 magnum revolver. Powerful and won't jam!
-9mm boot handgun. Just in case of raiders...
-Knife. Hey, it's a knife. You ALWAYS need a knife.

Armor:
-Since I'm not sure if a 'light' version of riot gear exists, I'll opt for a flak jacket with extensions to cover the neck and joint-torso connections.

Equipment:
-First off, a load harness and bag to carry all the stuff
-Weapons cleaning/maintainence kit
-Sleeping bag/Tarp and twine
-Non-perishable foods
-Rechargable batteries and charger
-Medkit(bandages, gauze, painkillers, peroxide, sutures)
-Army E-tool
-Metal pot for food prep and boiling water
-Tablet/charger and ethernet cable (Between valueble stuff on computers and the chance for using it to grab a radio signal, it's a must have)

Transport:
-'94 Sentra, since I already have it. Reliable, spacious and fairly gas efficent; to be used until I find something better in the gas efficency department.

Other:
-Ammunition making kit. Pretty sure I can't loot gun stores forever.
-Space heater
-Extra gas tanks

The plan:
-After things break out, WAIT 1-2 WEEKS!! Between people running like Disney wildebeasts either out of hunger or fear, it'll be too easy to get run down or stabbed in the back. So, hole up, take potshots, watch the news and wait. See what happens to the scared masses before making a move.

-When time has run, or if the schedule is forced up, time to go. The destination will be Fort Lauderdale, Florida at all costs. Once there, secure either air or sea transport and migrate to an island in the Bahamas with fresh water.

-Pacify the island, and live out the rest of life between paradise on the beach, and zombie-shooting catharsis!

Take my parents off-road capable vehicle with tinted windows and a bullbar and go somewhere where there's no zombies.
Tint stops the glass from braking as easily, and the bullbar and torques can push cars/zombies/other people out of the way fairly easily.

Regroup with the millions of people that survived (protip: zombies can't get into cars easily. Ever tried to punch through a cars side window? You break long before the glass does.) and then we have the choice of either going back to the cities with flamethrowers, or just getting a bunch of trained dogs and telling them to go nuts.

Light saber and the force. All I'll need.

Like anyone else here, I'd most likely die. My goal before I die though would be to gather as much explosive/volitile material as I can, hook up a generator to run a stereo/spotlights, get as many zombies as I can to congragate on my position...blow everything up.

If I'm gonna die it might as well be in a big ass mushroom cloud.

Stay in my house, put as much furniture in my single stair well as possible after I obtain every Hostess snack product I can find within a mile, learn to like the taste of my own pee, and start playing Pokemon yellow on my game-boy.

Heronblade:
-I have no intention of carrying everything around with me, only having it available if a situation calls for it. The riot gear for example would only be donned if poking into a close quarters area. I'm also a big strong guy used to lugging crap around to little purpose.

Strength is not the issue here. It's more about how much endurance you have. You see, a lot of muscles aren't trained for exerting lower level force over extended periods of time, say for example holding a pencil out to your side for five minutes straight (seriously try this. most people can't do it without their arms becoming ridiculously sore because of it, if they can do it at all). Now imagine trying that with a 13.6 pound USAS-12 shotgun for the better part of a day. It may not seem to bad at the start but constant wear and tear does a number on you. That doesn't include the 4.4 pound .44 Deagle you'd carry with you, plus two spare clips for each weapon in case (amounting to another 5 pounds), and any water or gear you'd need for your excursions away from your base camp. All these little weights nickel and dime you in terms of endurance, and unless you make carrying constant weight a part of your daily routine, it's gonna tire you, especially if you have to sprint around because the undead have discovered you. And speaking a a person who loves to sprint, I know that every little bit of weight counts in determining how long or fast you can move.

Heronblade:

-I've packed for major outdoor trips using a vehicle roughly the size of the FED before, the guns, armor, and compact generators being the only items I haven't had to account for before. Somehow I think I can get them to fit into the roughly 40 cubic feet of space I normally leave empty (to be later filled by other campers and their personal stuff)

I'm sure you have, but then again, most civilian vehicles actually have more room for storage than most military vehicles, which were designed for durability over room. Check out the Fed's compartment space compared to it's actual size.

Heronblade:

-When push comes to shove, that list is what I would take if all preparations go perfectly (a somewhat unlikely scenario all things considered), fully intending to leave some behind if and when necessary. If forced to pare that list down only to the absolute bare essentials, I could still make the plan work with a little extra luck while bringing only a hiking bag filled with 60 lbs of gear. Of course, I would be stealing a few cars from the dead on the way, and scavenging quite a bit more than intended in that case, both actions increase the risk substantially. Also, if that occurs, I might actually change gears and head south, hot weather gear has less mass and bulk to them, and heat can do the same job cold will, although not nearly as cleanly.

Well it's reassuring to hear you can cut down if necessary, but I thought that the point of this thread was what you'd take under ideal conditions. My point throughout this whole thing is not that none of this was necessary, rather that on the whole the implementation seemed a bit impractical. You could have accomplished equal or better results with more commonplace stuff, and saved a lot of space and weight taking everyday things over specialized equipment.

But hey, if that's the way you want to ride the zombie wave, go nuts. It's not anyone is going to be in any position to complain, and I can think of worse ways to combat the undead masses. Should the ZA actually happen I hope that you will come visit me on my newly-annexed Police HQ, and we'll share a couple of beers and some oatmeal whilst watching the zombies chew in vain on the steel bars of my fortress.

That shall be a good day (relatively speaking)

I would build bigger fences around my house and stock up for at least a month. The zombies will kill themselves, nature and all.

This is what I would do:

Zombies scare the crap out of me.

latiasracer:
Climb a nice tall tree.

Zombies can't climb trees right?

No, but they could probably huddle together and knock the tree down eventually. As a single zombie, they are quite harmless at a distance, but as a unit, they are quite dangerous.

Forlong:
This is what I would do:

Zombies scare the crap out of me.

Yeah, me, too. But I'd rather go down fighting and try to take down as many of those brain munchers as I could with C4 strapped to my chest.

Their dinner would just be...

*puts on sunglasses*

...too hot to handle.

If I had a gun, probably shoot myself. I mean, damn, the alternative is being eaten alive so...

But if I had to survive I'd probably for sure take a crowbar. Useful tool to have for scavenging stuff from the modern, abandoned landscape and a good weight to be used as a melee weapon. Guns are too noisy, take training to use, need reloading, and not to mention you'll eventually run out of ammo. For everything else I'll just take whatever I need from wherever my crowbar can break me into.

Mafoobula:
Realistically, a zombie apocalypse wouldn't last two weeks before they're all dead. Consider the following:

Their food source is us, and we're pretty damn good at survival. And, you know, we can fight off the hoards with any number of methods, almost all of them are effective against zombies.

Zombies aren't all that good at fighting back. Unless they're smart enough to think of defending themselves, and unlikely possibility, considering the brain rot, we can mow through them easily enough. Sure, they might try to eat us, but that's where our defensive measures come in.

Zombies can't fight off the little pests that eat dead and/or rotted flesh. Simple enough. Mostly insects, some small animals... and bacteria! The littlest bit of rotted flesh will fester like mad, quickly crippling the zombie.

Zombies can't regulate their body temperature, and don't know when to seek shelter from the elements. Too cold, their bodies freeze up and lock up. Too hot, they'll decompose really, really fast, if not something more gruesome.

Zombies can't feel pain, and don't know to avoid hazards. Zombies have no problem walking off a cliff. If they step on a nail or even a sharp rock, well, they fall apart all the faster.

So, realistically, I would stock up on food and chill for a while.

Well it depends on the rules of the specific zombies we're talking about.

As for us being good at survival, I'd say the comforts of modern living have actually made most of us not as fit for surviving under harsh conditions.

As for pests, if we're talking about virus zombies (which most zombies seem to be nowadays) then of course once anything from the zombie enters another entity they'll become infected, whether it be by the zombie attacking them or them attacking the zombie (talking about pests of course).

As for environmental effects, yes they'd stop moving in the cold, and they would rot faster in hot, humid areas, but this would also only apply for where and when the zombies appear.

And for not feeling pain, well I'd argue that's what would make them more dangerous. If you had one coming at you and you had a gun. If you shot a human in the chest or anywhere they would react to the pain and stop, a zombie would continue to come at you. Not feeling pain would also mean they would be able to push their bodies longer and harder than we can, making them harder to outrun. When you stop to rest, they'll have time to catch up.

Don Savik:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:

lolmerica

While we have awesome stores like Cabelas and other various hunting/gun stores, in an apocalypse setting they would be the first to be raided by hundreds of angry rednecks that don't care about your well-being....

and probably aren't above murder for a weapon.

I dunno man. Most rednecks seem to have a massive stash of ammunition and weapons just chilling around on the bedroom table anyway.

(Preparing for the eminent Soviet invasion, of course.)

(And sorry if it seems like im knocking the US, im really not. When you are from a country with tighter gun laws it just seems funny that somewhere out there, you can buy a fully automatic assault rifle with your breakfast cereal.)

I may have access to anything, but I am a completely out of shape smoker and have never shot a gun in my life. Realistically, if the zombie apocalypse happened right now and I had access to anything, I'd shoot myself in the head.

Unless you have the skill and training to shoot a gun and have at least moderate real survival skills, you're zombie food.

Item A: One incredibly sharp knife
Item B: Another incredibly sharp knife
Item C: Hoping that package from that website comes soon
Item D: Twinkies
Item E: A longbow
I'm prepared! Bring it!

Andy Shandy:
Buy a lot of treadmills and place them round my house like so

Hmmmmmm..... seems legit.

OT: Well the first thing I'd do is grab my dads repeater rifle, grab the pickup truck, then drive down to a military base new Brisbane. Grab a bunch of their weapons and make my own little base. Seach for people that survived then make my own little government and rule with an iron fist.

Realistically: I'd be eaten within a second of the outbreak.

Mostly likely for me:
run down to the gun shop.
grab some guns and ammo
turns out i made too much noise and now im surrounded
hopefully i get a couple before im overwhelmed
pop myself in the head(zombies aren't getting me!)

Athol:
Like anyone else here, I'd most likely die. My goal before I die though would be to gather as much explosive/volitile material as I can, hook up a generator to run a stereo/spotlights, get as many zombies as I can to congragate on my position...blow everything up.

If I'm gonna die it might as well be in a big ass mushroom cloud.

Damn right!
when i die (hopefully natural causes)
thats what i want done with my body

the mushroom cloud part, not the C4 strapped to chest part

Da Orky Man:
Realistically? I'd grab the bayonet I have in my drawer, the small first-aid kit, and pelt down to the local supermarket, which fortunately has a gun shop nearby. Only air rifles and shotguns though, few guns in the UK.

You have a bayonet in your drawer?
please explain

Daystar Clarion:
I'd probably die.

Why?

Because I have no illusions of being some sort of zombie fighting expert. I have no combat, survival or weapon training.

I'd try to survive, of course, but it probably wouldn't end well.

Inb4 "I grab my katana and herpa derp"

Yes, because your mock sword that you bought for 50 quid is totally combat worthy.

this, i would like to survive, but i would get the shit kicked out of me

i could just walk 5 minutes and be in the country side so that would be my only plan

No guns and no big blades for me.

Guns in untrained hands would be useless in this situation. If I don't hit the head, what do the zombies care about bullet wounds? And by the time my ammo runs out all the zombie I just lured to my position would scuffle around the corner to have a snack. Maybe I would carry a small handgun, if I'd find one, to scare off dangerous survivors (looters, murderers and so on).

Blades big enough to cut off heads would be unnecessary weight. If they are close enough to cut something off they are too close! I think the smart thing would be to stagger the zombie with a blunt weapon and get out of arm's reach quick. And in the worsed case the blade could get stuck and leave me without a weapon, few have the strength or technique required to cleanly cut through any body parts and I'm certainly not one of them.

I would want to avoid the zombies, not fight them. So my weapons of choice would be a crowbar and a heavy bolt cutter. Both can be used as weapons in a pinch, but more important, I can use them to create shortcuts or to get into places.

Well, I just moved to the suburbs of Melbourne, so my chances are a lot slimmer than they were when I lived by the lake in regional Victoria. In regards to a skill set, I have reasonable leadership skills, but that's about it, I'm fit enough but I'm not incredibly athletic or anything like that.

My plan would be to hole up in a Foodworks (medium-ish sized store) and to block the entrances with shopping carts. I'd have enough water for a few months, I'd start by eating the perishables and then I'd try to ration the non-perishable foods. It's more about survival than "zombie slaying", here's to hoping that I have some company, too.

I'd take my minecraft sword and pickaxe replica and go to town. Those are effective on non-block zombies, right?

1: Contact as many friends and family as possible and meet in secluded area. Fortunately I live in a very hilly area, plenty of countryside with low population densities. Take all my old jujitsu training weapons. All basic heavy wood, good enough for blunt trauma. Realistically, I've got enough useful stuff for about 8 people. I've also got a hatchet, a zulu spear, shield and axe. And a 2 good quality hunting knives. All possibly useful stuff.

2: Raid sports shop (about 10 minute walk 2 minute drive from my house), hockey sticks, cricket bats, gold caddy bags to store it all in and cricket padding for arms and legs, plus their helmets... Good start.

3: Get into my old school. It's got a massive gated perimeter that would probably hold up to a fair bit of punishment, plus it's got metal workshops, kitchens and very tall buildings with heavy doors. Hopefully join a few more people who had the same idea.

4: Use the workshops to mean up whatever weapons and padding I scrounged and use the radio-station and a large banner hanging out of the tallest building to tell people where we are. (maybe not the best idea... but I don't have a better one)

5: depending on the state of the streets, either plate up a cars windows and drive to the nearest supermarket, or try and sneak their on foot. (about a 5 minute walk from the school). When there, scrounge as much tinned and fresh food as possible and get back. Also as many seeds and bulbs as possible.

6: Convert the sportsfields into a makeshift farm. There are enough texts in the library on agriculture to give it a half decent stab. And hotwire (kind of know how to do) as many cars as possible and drive them into the school grounds.

7: Siphon as much petrol as possible into old drums that I know are in the schools storage locker. Then go about dismantling the cars to salvage as much metal from the bodies and engine parts for possible repairs to other cars we have. There is also a petrol station that's a thirty second walk from the lower section of the school. So if needs must we can get at that.

8: Try and reinforce the fences with body metal and chassis'. Use whatever we can to collect water from the roofs of the buildings and use the equipment in the labs to distil it for drinking. Filters and stils etc.

9: Start trying to convert the buildings into some sort of workable compound. Turning old classrooms into sleeping areas and common rooms into living areas. There's a huge wooded area out back that would feasibly provide as much firewood as we need for years to come. We'd just have to hope that we could sustain a liveable crop for the foreseeable future. Using staples like potatoes and tomatoes.

Like I said, the areas isn't that heavily populated and I think the school grounds would certainly hold up to the amount of zombies such a town would yield. If we managed to make it there, I think we could make it work.

tlgAlaska:

Guns in untrained hands would be useless in this situation. If I don't hit the head, what do the zombies care about bullet wounds? And by the time my ammo runs out all the zombie I just lured to my position would scuffle around the corner to have a snack.

Yes and no, it depends on the caliber of weapon and ammo used. A typical small caliber handgun is indeed useless without near perfect accuracy, since they'd just be able to shrug incidental hits off. High caliber hollow point rounds on the other hand are liable to render anything they hit physically useless, while knocking the target to the ground. If you can't reliably hit the head, aim for the lower abdomen and pelvis, its a much larger, more stationary target, and one or two solid hits there means the thing won't be able to use either leg.

As for the noise issue, you can actually use that to your advantage. Plenty of locations within an urban area can be used to physically trap and kill a small horde that think's they're following a noise to dinner if you rig them up properly. Just off the top of my head, empty and deep swimming pool plus a fifty gallon drum of fuel plus physical obstacles to funnel them in equals a really nasty burning stench you won't be able to get rid of. If you attract a big horde, you're screwed of course, but that's why I chose to stay out of even the small towns, since you can attract quite a few zeds even while remaining perfectly silent.

finally get some use out of my Zombie Survival guide!
1.store water
2.move food to second floor
3.destroy the stairs
4.hang up sign,s on the roof asking for help
5.wait it out.

2 plans.

plan 1. memorise the detailed plans everyone here has and hunt them down when i get bit :)

plan 2. i know wilderness survival and i already grow my own food, etc. so just my knife is all i need plus my canteen

Grab my E-tool and other gear and survive. I know that sounds open ended, but there is no telling what I would do. Actually, zombies aren't that big of a threat. Its my fellow survivors I'd worry about, and unless they have guns I wouldn't worry too much about them. An E-tool to the head works on anything.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

You just need an AA12 bro. That weapon is easy to use and impossible to break.

lolmerica

Only if its a shop for...COMMUNISTS!

Well first I would kill their vodoo masters... Oh you mean that newer, shittier version? I'm just messin with ya'.

Simple, just go to a island that is mainly deserted near the coast of America where survival would be easy. Since Zombies have no clear rules we really can't say what else to do. But just grab a silent weapon and do a few chops off the top to get by the occasional zombie.

The amount of people saying GUNS and SWORDS is kinda scary. Guns will only get you so far, it has a ammo limit and you can only shove so many clips up the ass. Swords are better but you can't go buster swording everything unless your a professional body builder.

Baff:
I'm fully redneck, so I'm well equiped for the Zombie Apocalpyse.

I was thinking about this the other day, what would be my plan?
Rob the gun shop? Raid the school armoury?
I was thinking Windsor Castle would be a good place to hold out, defensable and all that.

And then I thought, sod it. That's too far for me to drive, I CBA. I'm going with the axe in each hand kill 'em all.

Bring the Zombies! I could do with the exercise.

...Your school has an armoury.

Ix Rebound:

Da Orky Man:

You have a bayonet in your drawer?
please explain

For reference, that piece of paper it's on is standard A4 sized.

It's a 125-year old bayonet from Chile. I picked it up at a local military fair for about 30, and I just keep it in my drawer. Hey, why not? May mount it on the wall someday.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked