Worst Marvel films?

Pages PREV 1 2

Sean Hollyman:
So Marvel has pooped out some truly good films, but also some extremely crap ones. What are the worst ones you think of?

Admittedly, I loved Spiderman 3. Hated Iron Man 2, though.

I liked the first Ghost Rider. 2nd was just flat out 'WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS HAPPENING!?' Though I really enjoyed the ending chase.

How did you not mention Wolverine Origins??

Corax_1990:
So far, it seems Marvel has a 50/50 success rate with their movies IMO.
The Good ;
Iron Man 1&2
Captain America
Thor
The second Incredible Hulk
Spider Man 1&2
Xmen and Xmen First Class

The Average;
Xmen 2 or X-2 is you're feeling douchey
The first Fantastic Four
The Punisher
Blade
Wolverine

Then the pretty terrible;
The second Fantastic Four
Xmen 3
Blade 2&3
The first Hulk movie
The two Ghost Rider Movies
Elektra
Dare Devil
Spider Man 3

Thats my list and opinion on what Marvel has put out into the world, hopefully the Avengers will be the best Superhero Movie ever made to make me forget Ghost Rider and Elektra.

Edit: not sure if you would count Kick Ass as a Marvel movie, its based on the comic from Icon, which is owned by Marvel.

you missed a punisher film (punisher warzone, which is arguably better)

Corax_1990:
So far, it seems Marvel has a 50/50 success rate with their movies IMO.
The Good ;
Iron Man 1&2
Captain America
Thor
Spider Man 1&2

The Average;
The first Fantastic Four
The Punisher
Blade
Wolverine

Xmen 3
Blade 2&3
The first Hulk movie
Elektra
Dare Devil
Spider Man 3

Thats my list and opinion on what Marvel has put out into the world, hopefully the Avengers will be the best Superhero Movie ever made to make me forget Ghost Rider and Elektra.

Edit: not sure if you would count Kick Ass as a Marvel movie, its based on the comic from Icon, which is owned by Marvel.

If your list is indeed correct, I'd choose Blade Trinity. That was so fucking bad.

malestrithe:

WolfThomas:

malestrithe:
1989 Punisher felt more correct than later ones.

He doesn't wear the Skull Shirt and he lets criminals live.

Really, that's all that matters to you? It's not correct unless the punisher kills people and wears a skill T-Shirt. Oh wait, I keep forgetting that I'm dealing with continuity whores that only care about superficial things about comic books and cannot evaluate the overall project on its own.

Whether or not he wears a skull T-Shirt is irrelevant. The skull has nothing to do with the character's motivations in the movie, which are consistent from the comic book. It feels right for the early 90s portrayal of the character, when the character used criminal informants on a regular basis.

It's interesting how you complain about the guy mentioning the t-shirt and killing people, and then you proceed to focus on the least relevant of the two.

The Punisher is who he is because he kills people. That's his character. He's an anti-hero. He's not friggin Batman. He uses guns. He shoots the bad guys. Not having him do that is pretty damn inaccurate. It's not about continuity it's about core material. I mean it's as wrong as batman murdering people, as wrong as Superman lifting an island with kryptonite 2 feet from his face, etcetera.

That being said Dolph Lundgren is the man, or, one of the men along with his other compatriots like the muscles from brussels.

The first Hulk was shit, but that's considered non-cannon, so I'm not too pissed about it
The Fantastic Four movies were decent but they were targeted at children rather than teenagers and adults, like the recent ones are
And the Spiderman trilogy was a steaming pile of horse shit, the new one looks pretty good though
The only pre-"Avengers Saga" movies that Marvel seems to stand buy are the X-Men ones, which is good, because they were bloody good

So overall, Fantastic Four 2: Silver Surfer is the worst current generation marvel movie, with the Spidermans coming a close second, third and fourth and the original Fantastic Four slotting in at fifth

roushutsu:
For me, I'd say the Hulk movies. Interesting concept, but they ultimately bored me. I'm hoping the Avengers will change that.

The Hulk is never going to have a good movie, because the Hulk is not a very interesting character. The concept behind him is very interesting, but the character itself is just a big, green muscle man who roars; Not much you can build around that.

He might have more chance of working in The Avengers movie, because he'll likely be a secondary character.

OT: Worst Marvel movie? Probably Iron Man 2. Literally nothing, and I mean nothing happened in that movie.

Spiderman 3. Its no wonder Tobey Maguire can't show his face as Spiderman/Peter Parker ever again.

Regnes:
I didn't know Ghost Rider was a Marvel movie. Didn't see it so I would probably say the first Hulk movie is the worst I've seen. I didn't bother with the Fantastic Four, knew it would be bad from the start.

The biggest letdown was Spider-Man 3 by far though, I was never looking foreward to Hulk.

Actually, the first Fantastic Four movie wasn't too bad... not brilliant by any standard, but not bad, per se...

OT: I'd agree with Hulk. It just bored the crap out of me. Then again, I was younger and less interested in it. I might try re-watching it at some point just for the sake of it.
Also agree with Dare Devil/Elektra.

malestrithe:
Really, that's all that matters to you? It's not correct unless the punisher kills people and wears a skill T-Shirt. Oh wait, I keep forgetting that I'm dealing with continuity whores that only care about superficial things about comic books and cannot evaluate the overall project on its own.

Whether or not he wears a skull T-Shirt is irrelevant. The skull has nothing to do with the character's motivations in the movie, which are consistent from the comic book. It feels right for the early 90s portrayal of the character, when the character used criminal informants on a regular basis.

The Shirt isn't the big issue, though the Skull symbo lis synonymous with the Punisher, what he has worn in every comic, from his original appearance in Spiderman to the much lauded gritty realistic MAX run by Garth Ennis. It's not a continuity whore thing, it's like having Superman with a plain blue shirt instead of his S.

But the killing thing is important. In the 1989 version he teams up with the Gangster responsible for his family's death. That's completely against the core of his character, he has a black and white code, if you are bad you die. There's no wiggle room.

The film itself is not bad, it would be a perfectly decent 80's generic action movie. It's just not the Punisher.

Well, assuming we're talking about the new wave of movies. I found them all to be pretty average. Iron Man was good, but the rest, eh, pretty forgettable.

I'd say Daredevil if I didn't love Colin Farrel in that role, so I'l say Fantastic Four 2.

Akalabeth:

Sean Hollyman:
So Marvel has pooped out some truly good films, but also some extremely crap ones. What are the worst ones you think of?

Admittedly, I loved Spiderman 3. Hated Iron Man 2, though.

I liked the first Ghost Rider. 2nd was just flat out 'WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS HAPPENING!?' Though I really enjoyed the ending chase.

How did you not mention Wolverine Origins??

Because I enjoyed it..

WolfThomas:

malestrithe:

The Shirt isn't the big issue, though the Skull symbo lis synonymous with the Punisher, what he has worn in every comic, from his original appearance in Spiderman to the much lauded gritty realistic MAX run by Garth Ennis. It's not a continuity whore thing, it's like having Superman with a plain blue shirt instead of his S.

But the killing thing is important. In the 1989 version he teams up with the Gangster responsible for his family's death. That's completely against the core of his character, he has a black and white code, if you are bad you die. There's no wiggle room.

The film itself is not bad, it would be a perfectly decent 80's generic action movie. It's just not the Punisher.

I agree with this... if you look at the comics that is what he is all about... he kills for his beleifs, and his beleifs are in stone! He doesn't help or team up with any bad or evil, unless he is forced... and then he will get further vengence on them post helping!

And yes... logos and image are important in the comic book world! I can't think of any other superhero movie that ditches the logo/iconography because they 'didn't think it was important'!

the first three x men movies, daredevil, elektra, first hulk movie, wolverine... and really all three spiderman movies.

both FF movies

Probably, for me, the second Fantastic Four movie. Really did not like.

madwarper:
Can I mention the Dare Devil/Electra movies?

Or, have we all just come to the consensus that we simply convinced ourselves that they don't exist?

Daredevil extended cut was actually pretty good. Most of the problems I had with the vanilla edition of the movie were fixed in the extended version.

aba1:
Ghost Rider hands down. I would have a easier time listing what was right about the movie rather than what was wrong.

Things they did right:
Ghost rider looks correct (even that was cheesy looking CG)

Things they did wrong:
EVERYTHING ELSE

I have to agree, ghost rider was just awful. The cheese level was through the roof, fucking unbearable.

Besides ghost rider, the fantastic four movie with silver surfer was really bad, because they deviated from the comic book to much as far as the ending goes and ruined it.

the fantastic four movies, just ... no, they should be purged from existence

Craptastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer.

People above me, have explained how this film is the equivalent of a hippo shredding it's shit with it's own tail.

The Hulk film with Eric Bana as hulk

putowtin:

PhunkyPhazon:
. However, we can't disregard a certain older movie. One that most people aren't even aware is Marvel:

*shudders*

THe double whammy
Marvel and Lucas!

Howard the Duck was superb!

Corax_1990:

The Good ;
Iron Man 1&2
Captain America
Thor
Spider Man 1&2

The Average;
The first Fantastic Four
The Punisher
Blade
Wolverine

Xmen 3
Blade 2&3
The first Hulk movie
Elektra
Dare Devil
Spider Man 3

Wow, that list is spot on to exactly how I would have put it. ^_^//

aba1:
Ghost Rider hands down. I would have a easier time listing what was right about the movie rather than what was wrong.

Things they did right:
Ghost rider looks correct (even that was cheesy looking CG)

Things they did wrong:
EVERYTHING ELSE

and theyre making a seaquel

that right there is somthing I find rather baffling

Lunar Templar:
the fantastic four movies, just ... no, they should be purged from existence

want to send yourself into a fit of madness? just think to yourself "those poeple were astronaughts"

even johnny asshole whats-his-name

hahah...hahah...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT MAKES NO SENSE!!?

Howard the Duck. Other than that, I don't think any that I've seen are TOTALLY horrible. I mean, I didn't love Hulk (2003) or Spiderman 3, but I think very few superhero movies are truly as bad as people make them out to be. Namely Ghost Rider and Daredevil.

You think the big budget Fantastic Four films were bad? You should have seen the movie they made back in 1994, it's legendarily bad, the story behind it is actually kind of sad, you feel a bit bad for the people who worked on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_%28film%29

It's easy to track down if you want to watch it, it's one of those movies people would consider "so bad it's good".

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked