What are your thoughts on suicide?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Necrosis1994:
Those who actually go through with it were obviously very troubled and more than likely weren't thinking ahead as to how it may affect those around them.

I wonder about this. Mostly because I'm the kind of person who has read lots of spiritual, religious, or philosophic texts, and has found a recurrent theme among many of them: namely, the shedding of the mortal/physical in exchange for a spiritual or celestial. We tend to see suicide as a coward's way out, and it most certainly can be that. But that's not all it can be. It can be a release for those that have no other avenues left to turn to for reprieve. If you turn to god, only to find that god isn't there for you, and turn to science, only to find explanations and not meaning, are turned away from friends and family because of the choices you or they have made, then the crushing isolation of the world would certainly weigh on you. Living for the sake of living seems shallow, then, doesn't it?

However, I sit curious on something: if you have found a place where you truly want for nothing, find the necessities of the world something purposelessly repetitive, find yourself unwilling to wait through a long period of unfortunate coincidences and circumstances, and feel confident in the idea of either something beyond this, something around this, returning as atoms to something else, or taking control in whatever way you can, would not removing yourself from the world, that you need not spend your time in menial unhappiness, be an elegant solution?

If you find yourself even remotely spiritual, the idea of ascendance, transcendence, or even rescendance must be either confusing or blissful for you, and if you have embraced the idea, then all that stops you is your ties here. If one were to make it clear, and on no uncertain terms, that this is your decision, that you are happy in it, and that you want to say thank you and goodbye, then it would seem to cease to be a cowards way out, and is instead someone doing the best thing for themselves, is it not?

Regnes:
My personal view on suicide is that it is a very silly practice, there is virtually no benefit to enjoy from it since the mortality rate is so high. My Dad's friend died from suicide, he should have just played it safe, maybe if he knew that shooting himself in the head would probably kill him, he would have reconsidered.

People should stop doing suicide, suicide will kill them.

I see what you did there...

I can understand suicide/assisted suicide if you have a degenerative disease, like one that takes your mind and body and leaves you five years to live... technically, but without memory or motive force. There are some times when it's all over but the crying, and people shouldn't be forced to stick around after they feel they're simply a burden on the people they love.

Aside from that, though, help beats the sweet release of death. If you can still act, if you can still think and feel and talk, there is redemption to be had. There's a chance to make something of your life, no matter how hopeless things look, and counseling and medication can get you there.

Just remember... by all accounts, whatever comes after life goes on forever. You'll be dead a long time, there's no rush to get there even if it is better. That step's a doozy, though, and you can't take it back.

JoshTheREfan:
Never let depression cloud your decision making, no matter how bad the situation is.

What makes you think it's feasible for people to just not let it cloud their decision making? Just being tired does that to people and they can't just force themselves to ignore it.

Hazy992:
I think people are too quick to judge people who commit suicide. I'm not saying it's an answer, and if you know someone who is suicidal then of course you need to intervene, but you don't know what was going through their heads that made them do that. The fact that someone is so miserable, so devoid of hope that they decide death is a better option is not something people should be mocked and judged for.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head right there.

BehattedWanderer:

Necrosis1994:
Those who actually go through with it were obviously very troubled and more than likely weren't thinking ahead as to how it may affect those around them.

I wonder about this. Mostly because I'm the kind of person who has read lots of spiritual, religious, or philosophic texts, and has found a recurrent theme among many of them: namely, the shedding of the mortal/physical in exchange for a spiritual or celestial. We tend to see suicide as a coward's way out, and it most certainly can be that. But that's not all it can be. It can be a release for those that have no other avenues left to turn to for reprieve. If you turn to god, only to find that god isn't there for you, and turn to science, only to find explanations and not meaning, are turned away from friends and family because of the choices you or they have made, then the crushing isolation of the world would certainly weigh on you. Living for the sake of living seems shallow, then, doesn't it?

However, I sit curious on something: if you have found a place where you truly want for nothing, find the necessities of the world something purposelessly repetitive, find yourself unwilling to wait through a long period of unfortunate coincidences and circumstances, and feel confident in the idea of either something beyond this, something around this, returning as atoms to something else, or taking control in whatever way you can, would not removing yourself from the world, that you need not spend your time in menial unhappiness, be an elegant solution?

If you find yourself even remotely spiritual, the idea of ascendance, transcendence, or even rescendance must be either confusing or blissful for you, and if you have embraced the idea, then all that stops you is your ties here. If one were to make it clear, and on no uncertain terms, that this is your decision, that you are happy in it, and that you want to say thank you and goodbye, then it would seem to cease to be a cowards way out, and is instead someone doing the best thing for themselves, is it not?

That's a new perspective on things, I've never seen it explained that way before. I'm not a hugely spiritual person myself but I can certainly see what you're saying and I must say it's an interesting take on things.

Mortai Gravesend:

JoshTheREfan:
Never let depression cloud your decision making, no matter how bad the situation is.

What makes you think it's feasible for people to just not let it cloud their decision making? Just being tired does that to people and they can't just force themselves to ignore it.

Then I guess I meant to say is to try your hardest to not let depression cloud your judgment. I probably should have worded my post better, sorry if I urked you or anything.

I big meh.
Most of the time it just attention seeking from the cases I've seen of it, no one actually having the balls to go through with it.
I've been pretty depressed at times, so much that the thought does enter my head. Instead of bitching about it I go out and make my life better for myself and I get over it. They're cowards, too weak to to get past whatever their temporary problem is.

4 years ago I lost my best friend to suicide, and sometime after that my mom attempted it as well. But despite all that, I still really don't know what I think of it. I think it personally gives me a really bad taste in my mouth and I can't really stand to be around those who wear it on their shoulder. For example, I had a girlfriend once who, when we'd get into a bad argument she would say, "Nobody even loves me anyway. I'm just going to go kill myself now!" I can't stand it or any of the sort. Urgh... If you have a genuine problem, then fine but I really don't have much empathy for those people, myself.

JoshTheREfan:

Mortai Gravesend:

JoshTheREfan:

Then I guess I meant to say is to try your hardest to not let depression cloud your judgment. I probably should have worded my post better, sorry if I urked you or anything.

I just felt that what you said didn't seem fair to them. I've seen people express the attitude that people who fall victim to that just are weak or not trying or whatever, so I came in viewing it with the existence of that attitude in mind. Even though it seems that wasn't your intent I see.

if I didn't have such a big karmic and financial debt to pay off... I'd probably have commited suicide by now, and I've attempted it a few times, didn't work though... So I figure I'm just gonna live a life of general ill luck and general suffering.

Mortai Gravesend:

JoshTheREfan:

Mortai Gravesend:

I just felt that what you said didn't seem fair to them. I've seen people express the attitude that people who fall victim to that just are weak or not trying or whatever, so I came in viewing it with the existence of that attitude in mind. Even though it seems that wasn't your intent I see.

Oh no I absolutely detest people with that type of mindset. I'd further why but I'm pretty tired. That's quite ironic considering your first response isn't it?

Hang in there. There's nothing good in suicide.

Necrosis1994:
It's a subject I often find myself thinking about for one reason or another and I'm curious what my fellow Escapists think about it.

I know a lot of people find it to be one of the most selfish things a person can do and while I can see the argument that's being made I personally don't find that to be true in all cases..if any at all. Those who actually go through with it were obviously very troubled and more than likely weren't thinking ahead as to how it may affect those around them.

So what are your thoughts on suicide?

Why kill yourself to get away from the problem, when you can kill the problem just as easily. Remember, Suicide and murder are both sins, but you can ask for forgiveness after committing murder.

NOTE: I do not now, nor will I ever, condone either Murder of Suicide, the above was a poor attempt at humor

My thoughts on Suicide.... Don't.

JoshTheREfan:

Mortai Gravesend:

JoshTheREfan:

Oh no I absolutely detest people with that type of mindset. I'd further why but I'm pretty tired. That's quite ironic considering your first response isn't it?

Heh, yeah, rather amusing XD

I agree with you on that mindset though. That mindset is just vile to me, which is why I was cautiously trying to see what you thought exactly with my first response before assuming that's what you meant. No need to convince me it's bad, I already agree there.

Try not to land on any body on the express exit from the 20th floor.

imahobbit4062:
I big meh.
Most of the time it just attention seeking from the cases I've seen of it, no one actually having the balls to go through with it.
I've been pretty depressed at times, so much that the thought does enter my head. Instead of bitching about it I go out and make my life better for myself and I get over it. They're cowards, too weak to to get past whatever their temporary problem is.

This essentially, I know it sounds cruel, but there is always a better alternative.

Theres always something worth living for

Necrosis1994:

BehattedWanderer:

Necrosis1994:

That's a new perspective on things, I've never seen it explained that way before. I'm not a hugely spiritual person myself but I can certainly see what you're saying and I must say it's an interesting take on things.

It's fascinating, really. We spend our lives terrified of the subject, understanding it to be something that could happen at any time, in almost any way, and obsessing over trying to prevent it in any way, living sometimes just for living's sake. But, we rarely consider allowing it on our own terms, reigning it in and controlling it. And yet, we mire ourselves in the tedium, unhappiness, and regretful living that is said to accompany life, just to stave off the idea of it.

For those who do end things on their own terms, however, society looks upon them as cowards. "They choose the easy way out" you'll hear, or "I guess they couldn't bear it". And those are reasons, certainly. But it's worth contemplating that such a thing could be a bold act, a defiance of letting a colorful exuberant life slowly fade to gray, of not letting everything that "is bound to happen to you, too, if you get old enough" actually happen. Though, if one were to go out in such a way, I highly suggest saying goodbye to your friends and loved ones in a personal visit, and letting them know that this isn't out of desperation, but out of happiness, curiosity, enlightenment, spirituality, whatever reason it is you have. There is a strong stigma around suicide, but there are many conceivable ways in which it could be a positive affair.

My thoughts on suicide? None.

I have no intention, nor interest, in taking my own life because there are still many things that I must do and many things that I wish to explore on my own.

I believe it's selfish for people to use the infamous "that's being selfish" line. True mental torture can be a living hell and problems are unique to every individual. Most people seemingly cry out for help, to be shown value or self-efficacy, but there are the few who plan it out, take care of their earthly matters, and let go in a planned fashion. The latter I can understand. In my opinion, a six month (minimum) evaluation should be performed by the party in distress to really get a grip on such a permanent decision. Not to mention going against the most basic instinct of your being is next to impossible without doing something irreversible (such as jumping off a building or pulling a trigger).

I took a class on death and have talked to numerous people online and off who have considered it. The serious ones gave themselves a timeline, using self-deliverance as a type of motivation, and spent it seeking help. Those looking for an open ear and honest heart were commonly emotionally distraught and healed in time. Attempts are one thing, but commitments to the end are in a separate world altogether (exit bag as a fail safe!?).

In my eyes, it is an option, albeit only for a miniscule percent of the truly broken. The questions create the most hurt within the surviving social circle, but no amount of answers could ever stop the curiosity of the human mind. Without death there could not be life, which can be excruciating. Thoughts & feelings are relative & different to every individual; problems heed solutions. Sometimes demise is the result, the answer...and the world moves on.

Aerosteam 1908:
I think if someone absolutely gives up on life, says to themselves there's no point in living, they should able to commit suicide when they want to. Everyone should die happy, so maybe by painless, lethal injection in a bed surrounded by family/friends. By choice, of course.

I agree with you.
Who wants to end up locked up for therapy when they just want everything to end?

There is only two types of death I agree with and that is by the own persons choice and If it is done by nature.

The only life a person has the right to end is their own.

The_Blue_Rider:

imahobbit4062:
I big meh.

This essentially, I know it sounds cruel, but there is always a better alternative.

Theres always something worth living for

Exactly. I know it makes me sound like I'm trying to be "cool and edgy" but it's the truth. No one can say that have literally nothing to live for.

Necrosis1994:
It's a subject I often find myself thinking about for one reason or another and I'm curious what my fellow Escapists think about it.

I know a lot of people find it to be one of the most selfish things a person can do and while I can see the argument that's being made I personally don't find that to be true in all cases..if any at all. Those who actually go through with it were obviously very troubled and more than likely weren't thinking ahead as to how it may affect those around them.

I hate to say this, but as I get older I find that last statement to be less and less true. The majority of suicides I've seen (which is actually increasing, unfortunately) are intended to affect those around them.

There are kids in Ethiopia who can't eat and my childhood friend killed himself because he had fucking daddy issues. I have no sympathy for him and I still hate him with a passion for it. I didn't go to his funeral and when I was religious I wouldn't pray for him.

When you throw pity at a suicide case, all you are doing is showing people that suicide is a 100% effective method of inducing empathy, or at the very least, attention... and that is essentially promoting suicide.

EDIT:

BehattedWanderer:
snip

Dude, lay off the unnecessary comma's and use some semicolons. I can't even understand what you're saying.

They're one of my favorite bands! I like that song about Ghost Rider.

senordesol:
It is a permanent solution to what is most of the time a temporary problem.

Professor James:
I think it is a permanent solution to a probably temporary problem.

As someone who has harbored serious suicidal thoughts a time or two (don't worry, I've obviously decided against it) and has known people who have killed themselves, I've found this cliche to be lacking and it doesn't give enough credit to the perpetrators of suicide. Killing yourself isn't as easy as one might think and deciding to do it is agonizing. I don't think it's the smartest solution ever (especially when one really looks into the methodology - it can be messy), but one can't deny it is a "solution" of sorts. The thinking being "I do not like living so therefore I shall discontinue living." It's not always "I have a problem, fuck it, gimme a pistol."

The fact of the matter is that everyone posting on this is going to be vaguely anti-suicide, seeing as how we're breathing, thinking, and typing. So if you do kill yourself, you won't be doing any of these things. If it does "work," you won't be around to know. Nonexistence is a difficult concept to grasp.

Pro-tip, I'm pretty sure those suicide hotline things really only exist so they can call the cops on you if you threaten to kill yourself. I've had some productive conversations with them and got some things off of my chest, but I kept feeling like I was monopolizing their time when they really wanted to be "saving" lives. Once I started being more careful with how I chatted, the interest level went way down. A lot of people need other people to talk to, and not necessarily in the crisis hotline sense.

The other thing about suicide discussions that annoy me are the alleged people who are "bullied" to death. I found that to be ridiculous. No one is driven to suicide by another person, unless they're really short sighted and self involved. Stop acting like that's a valid argument, internet.

Hmmmm, I've thought about it, I don't think I would ever do it.

Should people be allowed to do it? I say yes as long as it doesn't affect me, although with that being said I place little to no value on Human life, and really don't care about the feelings and/or actions of others so I may not be the best person to as about this.

Well, my girlfriend has had one of her friends commit suicide, and she is angry about it, saying that she doesn't understand how someone can be so selfish that she would do that to the people who loved her.

I think that people can commit suicide if they do it in private. It's not cool to jump in front of a train and traumatize the kid next to you.

Suicide is not cowardly. It takes much more courage to face death than face life. That's why more people don't kill themselves.

Suicide is not selfish. The selifish people are typically the ones "pointing out" how selfish suicide is by pointing out how everyone outside of the suicidal person (including themselves) is affected by the death.

That's just my bias. (I have been suicidal in the past, full disclosure.)

In the VAST majority of cases it's the wrong call.

Some good reasons have been brought up here already. It's very permanent, the problems you have in life are transitory. There's also a concern as to "what's on the other side" to consider - some think you go to hell for killing yourself, some people think there's nothing at all, some people think they get another spin on the wheel and so on and so on, but since we don't really know for sure - it's leaving a known (albeit a potentially really unpleasant known, however temporarily it may be that way) for an unknown - you don't really know you're trading up, in other words.

In a very tiny portion of cases (terminal illness with lots of pain, post-apocolypse everyone's a zombie you're in the woods surrounded by death, some debilitating brain disease is about to set in and rob you of all your intellectual capability and memory, etc.) it's arguably a viable alternative.

I've been of the mind to take my leave, but obviously I'm still here.

I dunno, seems like a massive waste but at the same time I hadn't been able to shake the feeling that I've seen and done everything worthwhile for quite a long time. Just a grind to keep me occupied until the grave at this point.

I wish the US still had a west to conquer, just pull a Doc Holliday and set out to seek worthy enemies to fight or fall to. Closest outlet now is the military, but something about bombing Afghan wedding parties just doesn't agree with me.

I'd first have to ask, why would you?

Also, the most important thing to remember when discussing someone who is suicidal to me is that, frankly, they shouldn't have to think about how their death affects the people around them. Other people should be thinking about it, and not mentioning it, because they're too busy trying to help that person out.

I think suicide is a good thing. People who do not want to live get what they want, and it is one less person in the world.

It is a win-win situation.

I think it's fairly cowardly. Life is hard, no doubt, but just quitting is pretty fucking lame.

I wouldn't be so harsh on the subject were it not for the fact that I've seen the victims of it, which are naturally the friends and families of the people who have done it, and due to the amount of personal wreckage it leaves behind, wreckage that only time or heavy medication can clear, I'd say it's pretty fair to call it a selfish inexcusable act.

That said, as a strong believer in free will and the vast differences perspective can make I don't resent anyone for doing it or speak ill of them. It takes a lot to push someone to that, I know as I've stood on that ledge before, and I think to some degree we all have.

Still my life improved, and that's the key issue I have with suicide, life can get better if you keep at it and put yourself in the right situations.

However, I am okay with euthanasia on certain levels, such as when unending physical pain in unavoidable. However I will also say it takes a pretty strong person to live through that, and to me there is accomplishment in being that strong.

Also: if all the owners of the world banks and all of our corrupt politicians wanted to commit seppuku for their treasonous acts against humanity, I wouldn't complain.

The way I see it?

Things won't get better if you don't give them the chance.

Some people call it cowardly or selfish. I call it lazy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked