Blood Donation!!! *Edit*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Huh... I just checked the rules for my country and apparently I can't donate because I weigh less than 45kg. I still think I could take it, but meh.

I love needles, and I used to donate blood as often as I was allowed. Then I went a few places, had my blood spilled a couple times in unsanitary conditions in said places... and I'm no longer allowed to give blood. Ever again.

I give blood four times a year. Not liking needles or having a fear of needles is not an excuse.

Brian Conmy:
I'd gladly give blood extremely regularly if I was allowed. Being gay and sexually active apparently means I can't in a lot of countries

Yeah, I don't understand that ruling it feels archaic somehow, surely with protection there isn't THAT much extra risk?

I tried to help the LGBT protest last year by saying to take an extra bag of my blood for every protestor until they said that'd kill me 5 times over. Still give blood though, O(rh)+ ftw

Gerishnakov:
I give blood four times a year. Not liking needles or having a fear of needles is not an excuse.

I'm not overly fond of bleeding either but I still do it. Or being asked "How are you feeling?" when "I have a HOLE in my ARM" is apparently a bad response *shrug*

Blood donation and chronic iron deficiency anemia do not mix well, I always go from looking like a vampire to looking like a ghost ghost.

marcooos:

Guffe:

marcooos:
Right it's that point in the year again where after donating blood,

That time a year? I was my first time a year and a half ago, now I've been 4 xD
I go as often as I can so about 4 times a year, (once every 3-5 months) depending on when they arrive to my town.
But yeah, it helps people, it's good for your own body and some of the nurses look really good.
From Finland by the way so I don't get any money from it just free coffee, sandwiches and cupcakes. But that's enough for me :)

I meant that time of the year as everytime I donate (every 3 months) I make a thread trying to get people to donate.
An yeah its the same here in the UK I donate because I want to + the buscuits they have there are fucking great.

Well it's a nice cause you're working for.
I joined with a friend the first time and since then I'ev been going.
Keep it up, I'll be posting in your thread every third month it seems :P

I would if I were eligible -_-

Sexually active gay man here, so I can't give blood in Australia

I'm not allowed to donate blood any more because my body has a bad reaction to it and the doctors don't want to risk me hurting myself.This really sucks because I have 0- blood so its essentially liquid gold and I'm more than willing to possibly put myself at danger as I know it could save someone's life.

I have a sinus infection at the moment and it feels like my sinuses each hold the contents of the Atlantic Ocean. Can I be exempt from donating blood for now?

marcooos:
Right it's that point in the year again where after donating blood, I try an coerce some of you people in to donating.

So guys I'm gonna put it on the level if you have no fear of needles, ring up an make an appointment to give blood it's only an hour of your time and by doing it you will save someones life.

It's not an issue for time for me; I'm scared of needles.

I'm O- blood type. I hear it is quite rare. I'll tell you what I tell everyone who asks me to give. Pay me. I sure as Hell ain't giving anything not even my blood away for free and certainly not to help some strangers I do not know of or care for without getting some major incentive.

you want to know why i don't give blood, i have a fantastic reason, i have chronic fatigue syndrome, as does my mother and she has told me that that means i cannot give blood,

I'm AB negative but unfortunately I was advised not to give blood due to the rather extreme reaction I had the last time I did. I couldn't get off my back for nearly an hour, it felt like I was dying :(

I can't give blood for a number of reasons starting with my condition, the drugs i take (which require regular blood tests), locales I've lived in caribbean, azerbaijan which require time to pass before i can donate. Though never been bothered by needles or injections i have endured possibly one of the most painful injections there is to have 3 times and i regularly have my knee joint drained of inflammatory fluid which you tend to have needle stuck in for about 10 - 15 minutes - my record is around 120cc in one draining (thats quite a lot).

I would love to give blood, but I cannot while I'm on these stupid antibiotics to get rid of my ridiculous face and back o' head acne-type-but-so-much-worse shite.

For what its worth, I used to even though I hate needles because I firmly believe that you have to be willing to give whatever you would take.

I have a dreadful fear of needles. I still give blood(well, I try, for some reason no one tells me a blood drive is happening till it's over). There's really no excuse not to if you're medically able. Man up and save lives people.

I am not allowed to.

The Red Cross refuses to take my FABULOUS JUICES!

overpuce:
I already donated blood last month. I'm sorry, I'd give more but I just don't want to again at least not for another couple months.

According to a friend of mine, an average sized adult male can give two pints every month.
I didn't ask how he knew that.
Nor did I ask why.

OT: I don't donate blood (too young) but I will when I can. No idea what my blood type is, so I don't know if I should do it ASAP or if there's no rush...

I'd like to give blood, but I have medical problems, and I need my medication-infused blood more than other people need my blood.
Just be careful of the secret government mind-control chips they implant when you give blood!

captcha: nose bleed
No captcha, not like that!

latenightapplepie:
I am not allowed to.

The Red Cross refuses to take my FABULOUS JUICES!

This. Except in the U.S., it's the FDA that's in the way. The Red Cross and a host of other relevant acronyms (AABB, AMA) would love for me to donate blood.

I'm O+ too, so it's good stuff.

Having a pretty in-demand blood type (O+), I try to donate as much as possible. I can't remember exactly how much I've donated, but it's more than 2 gallons. I'm eligible to donate again on May 26, so that's when I'll schedule my next appointment.

Donated for the 20th time last week.
Once you actually SEE with your own eyes how and for what donor-blood is used, it gets a whole lot easier to motivate yourself to go.

Though I guess it helps that I have no fear of needles, at all (and never had, if my parents do not deceive me in this matter).
Oh, and that I can usually pretty much donate while at work. Thatīs good too.

marcooos:
Right it's that point in the year again where after donating blood, I try an coerce some of you people in to donating.

So guys I'm gonna put it on the level if you have no fear of needles, ring up an make an appointment to give blood it's only an hour of your time and by doing it you will save someones life.

Thank you, its people like you that have honestly saved myself and my dads life. If i could give blood i would but currently can't for another 2 years :).

But seriously thank you for making this thread and please do keep giving.

Honestly for those worried about needles, you are a hero when you give blood, being a video game site you must like heroes in one way or another. By giving blood you are hero i am not even shitting you and i cannot thank those that give enough.

Can't - I already donate plasma every week. Well, I could but then I wouldn't be able to donate plasma for a couple months. I'd rather just donate plasma. Thanks for the enthusiasm though.

I fully intend to give blood when I go home after finals in a couple weeks.

Yopaz:
I donated blood 2 days ago. I was called in before my time because they were getting a shortage of B+ blood and were desperately in need of it. So I'm sorry, but I can't donate blood for another 3 months. Unless the shortage problems happen again that is. I'm going to sign up for bone marrow donations too.

I should go donate blood. I despise needles, but I have great veins, and I can deal with the phobia to help others. Really, getting stuck helps the phobia, and it would have been nice if I had been old enough to donate before all this weird health stuff began so I'd have a no-pressure situation involving needles to make it less of a big deal. (hint hint, needle-scared people)

bone marrow donations though? Its another act of kindness that really helps people, but I think that's where my limit on such procedures from phobia comes into play. Big needles, pain and any medication that causes headaches and nausea prolly will for me.

I know I should do this, but I'd at least like a little more experience with surgery before I go signing up for something like that.

Seeing as I have Gilbert's syndrome, I can only donate when I'm not jaundiced from stress, Uni exams aren't helping with that atm.

I used to give blood every month, but I've stopped recently. Life's been a bit hectic.

I'm not well enough to have less blood in me.

I have done it three times now.

I donate pretty much whenever I can. Hell, I'd donate more being an O-, but double red blood donations can only happen 3 times in 12 months, and that's what I usually do.

Erana:

Yopaz:
I donated blood 2 days ago. I was called in before my time because they were getting a shortage of B+ blood and were desperately in need of it. So I'm sorry, but I can't donate blood for another 3 months. Unless the shortage problems happen again that is. I'm going to sign up for bone marrow donations too.

I should go donate blood. I despise needles, but I have great veins, and I can deal with the phobia to help others. Really, getting stuck helps the phobia, and it would have been nice if I had been old enough to donate before all this weird health stuff began so I'd have a no-pressure situation involving needles to make it less of a big deal. (hint hint, needle-scared people)

bone marrow donations though? Its another act of kindness that really helps people, but I think that's where my limit on such procedures from phobia comes into play. Big needles, pain and any medication that causes headaches and nausea prolly will for me.

I know I should do this, but I'd at least like a little more experience with surgery before I go signing up for something like that.

I'm not sure how the blood banks work where you are, but here you have to sign up to get a brief check on possible reason why you can not give blood, like testing for diseases that you might spread. You also get a lot of information about the subject and you get to ask as many questions as you could possibly ask. This gives you the opportunity to see if you're up for it or not and it's not like you have to go through with it if you're not comfortable. If it's the same as here they'll draw a small amount of blood for test purposes before you can actually start donating so that gives you a small feeling of how it will be when you actually donate.

Personally I am quite fit and I don't get any problems after I have donated. I don't even get dizzy which is a little unusual so I'm not the best person to ask about this. If you know someone who donates blood try asking them about it. If you decide to do it then I congratulate your ability to fight with your fear, but you should not feel that you have to do it. Take some time to think it through and try consult someone who can guide you better than me. Do not get pressured into something you're not comfortable with, that's the best advice I got for you. Good luck.

I'm afraid I'm megabanned from giving blood and even if I wasn't they'd have a hell of a time getting any out of me, they'd have to go for my basilic or iliac vein, both of which are quite dangerous.

On a semi-interesting side note, if I sit up while blood is drawn from me, I nearly pass out and stay in a state of semi-consciousness for a few hours. It's trippy and awful at the same time.

CaptainMarvelous:

Brian Conmy:
I'd gladly give blood extremely regularly if I was allowed. Being gay and sexually active apparently means I can't in a lot of countries

Yeah, I don't understand that ruling it feels archaic somehow, surely with protection there isn't THAT much extra risk?

I tried to help the LGBT protest last year by saying to take an extra bag of my blood for every protestor until they said that'd kill me 5 times over. Still give blood though, O(rh)+ ftw

Gerishnakov:

I'm not overly fond of bleeding either but I still do it. Or being asked "How are you feeling?" when "I have a HOLE in my ARM" is apparently a bad response *shrug*

The lifelong ban is ludicrous but restrictions have to be made. According to CDC statistics something along the lines of 2% of US citizens are sexually active gay males, while 48% of AIDs sufferers are sexually active gay males. There is an increased risk of HIV and they can't risk spreading it just to spare some people's feelings. I used to think it was just a homophobic thing until I actually looked up the statistics.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked