Bands/Artists that deserve more popularity

Pages PREV 1 2 3

treeboy027:

BiscuitTrouser:

treeboy027:
I wish Nickleback had more popularity. Their music is so great, I don't see why they don't.

Kidding.
Really, I'm kidding. (Don't hurt me!)

It seems like Icon for Hire is growing a fan base pretty quickly for a new band, but it's pretty spread out geographically.

Holy crap LOVE IT. Im a giant fan of nightwish and paramore so maybe this was gonna be something i loved be default but this singer has amazing talent. I really have no music to share that isnt fairly mainstream (in the alternative scene anyway) but this is fantastic, really reccomend.

They are also AMAZING live. Last time I saw them, they were so small that I got to buy my merch from them. (Also got to have dinner with Ariel, but I'm not bragging or anything... okay, maybe I am) There's a pretty cool story about that concert if you want to hear it

I bet that was awesome. Never heard of them, but that song was amazing.

On that topic: Halestorm. Yes they got a song on the radio, but Lzzy Hale deserves more than that.

Ive jsut discovered Birthday Massacre...theyre pretty good

shrekfan246:

Spectrre:

This guy. Wonderful music. He did the soundtrack for Red Dead Redemption. Also, one of his songs (Heartbeats) was used in a Sony commercial. (the one with all the bouncy balls in San Fran)

But other than that, he doesn't seem to be very well known, which I think is a shame.

"Heartbeats" was actually an acoustic cover of a song by The Knife which had been released a year before Mr. Gonzalez covered it.

It was used in an episode of "Scrubs" too.

I do like his music.

I did not know that. Thank you kindly for the information, I'm looking up the original now ^^

Spectrre:

I did not know that. Thank you kindly for the information, I'm looking up the original now ^^

Well. A fair bit of warning, it's a vastly different genre than Jose's cover. If you don't like European-Electro (it's the only thing I can really think of to actually describe them, cause electronic is one of the few genres that I don't really actively follow) style stuff, it probably won't be your cup of tea.

Just found this band last night.
I am in love.
Great for fans of Venom and newer Toxic Holocaust.

As if anyone's gonna listen to these

Trivun:
-snip-

All the fistbumps for you, good sir. :D

And for the record, I first heard of them through Alan Wake too.

Fingerprint:

love me some groundation. hebron gate is such a fantastic album. saw em like two years ago and we were sitting on our car trying to figure out where to go eat and the band was parked right next to us. got to chat with them a bit. real nice folk

Fingerprint:

not sure if you've ever gotten down on Tiken but if you haven't you might like him. Him and Groundation are my go to's for modern reggae

revjor:

Fingerprint:

not sure if you've ever gotten down on Tiken but if you haven't you might like him. Him and Groundation are my go to's for modern reggae

Yeah ! Awesome. I've only recently been introduced to Groundation though I've been jammin' Katchafire as my go to for reggae/roots music for a while now & is definitely worth a listen for anyone keen on reggae. And no, haven't heard of Tiken before tho i gotta say it sounds pretty good .

Tally Hall, guys. I've posted them before in similar threads and I will post them again. they are just freakin' amazing! All of their songs are amazing and it really helps that they actually have a sense of humor which they lightly sprinkle into a lot of their songs!

KingCrInuYasha:

Joshey Woshey:
The Kinks. Fuck The Beatles. The Beatles are nothing. The Kinks should have been fucking massive. Instead they had a few top ten singles and faded into obscurity, becoming a cult band.

Oh goodie, another "Beatles is overrated" thing. How original.

Have to agree about the Kinks, though. Tons of great stuff - "See My Friends", "Sittin' On My Sofa", "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?", "Sunny Afternoon", "Dead End Street", "David Watts", "Waterloo Sunset", "Autumn Almanac", "Wonderboy", "Days", "Plastic Man", "Victoria", "Celluloid Heroes" - and yet the Classic Rock and Oldies stations keep passing them up for "You Really Got Me". Not a bad song by any means, but by this point, it's like "Smoke On The Water" - I know it's good, but I wanna hear something else from these guys! 40 years and they still won't show what these guys were truly capable of!

Listen man, don't get me wrong, The Beatles are amazing (After Help:P) but they're one of those bands you 'have' to like. The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Radiohead Etc. Insulting these bands is seen as blasphemy and is punishable by death. Or 40,000 messages from screaming teenagers. When I lot of people talk about why they're the best ever I get the feeling they've actually never listened to an album.

And I know what you mean about "You Really Got Me". It's not even close to their best song but it's the one they seem to be defined by. Sounds great live though.

This is one of the great things about the age we live in, with the internet, digital distribution, the decline of radio[1], media outlets to suit whatever style you prefer and whatever niche you inhabit: A lot more bands can reach a moderate sort of fame than was possible even 15+ years ago.

That's why so many people nowadays listen to music you haven't heard of. It's not a hipster thing, it's just a product of the times. And I love it.

So I'm sidestepping the question. I'm happy that so many bands I love that would have never had a chance in the not so distant past can now find success in doing what they love.

[1] Woohoo!!!! Sorry...I grew up hating the radio in the 90s. Less talk, more rock!

The Real Tuesday Weld. Brilliant band but they only get noticed if some one uses there songs in commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBCrYPRFUU

5-0:
I personally think too few people have heard of Clutch. I wonder if they try to deliberately avoid mainstream success, cause they seem to be more of a club band than a stadium one. I recommend them to any fan of blues or classic rock. Here are four songs from four different albums of theirs- what I really like is that they're always changing their sound. Also, THOSE BEARDS!

Clutch is great. I haven't heard them in years so thanks for reminding me of them. Gonna go get some of their music again now.

OT: Psychostick. They're a comedy metal band (in that their songs are actually metal sounding, but the lyrics are usually jokes & such). I love nearly all of their songs and even saw them live once, but they don't get onto any big tours due to the obscurity. The last/biggest thing they did was a US tour with Mushroomhead.

Seriously, check them out. They're cool guys that interact with their fans through facebook & such. They're also a bunch of big gamer-nerds (The singer is currently addicted to Diablo 3)

Jazoni89:
Every single 90's British Shoegazing band ever....Seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

[snip]

Well...at least I'm unique with my taste in music, but I wish I didn't get odd stares when I explain to people that I like Shoegaze music.

All hail shoegaze!!

Although these days we call it indie and/or dreampop. The genre still exists, it's just not called shoegaze. More's the pity, Lush is awesome. If you like Shoegaze, and can get into other forms of the same, like Cocteau Twins, then I highly recommend you continue into jazz. A lot of jazz singers do that dreamy sound as a sort of alt/jazz/shoegaze/whatever mix. It's usually quite nice too.

Cyberjester:

Jazoni89:
Every single 90's British Shoegazing band ever....Seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

[snip]

Well...at least I'm unique with my taste in music, but I wish I didn't get odd stares when I explain to people that I like Shoegaze music.

All hail shoegaze!!

Although these days we call it indie and/or dreampop. The genre still exists, it's just not called shoegaze. More's the pity, Lush is awesome. If you like Shoegaze, and can get into other forms of the same, like Cocteau Twins, then I highly recommend you continue into jazz. A lot of jazz singers do that dreamy sound as a sort of alt/jazz/shoegaze/whatever mix. It's usually quite nice too.

Nope, it's still called Shoegaze (the term is just not used that much now), A Place to Bury Strangers, and The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart are examples of recent Shoegaze. Also, It's not considered Indie by anyone with a big knowledge of music, as it's an Alternative Rock genre after all. So, if anything, it's mostly lumped in to the Alternative Rock umbrella.

Though more newer Shoegaze is mixed with electronic coined Nu-Gaze, and then you have the Black Metal styled Blackgaze.

Yes, I am indeed a fan of Dream Pop, I'm really getting in to Beach House at the moment, good stuff.

Never been into Jazz, I like Acid Jazz though, that's pretty cool.

first off, Snot a relitivly unknown metal-punk band. In my view they would have been huge if Lynn strait hadnt of died after the first album.wont be everyones cup of tea, but i love 'em

R.I.P Jame lynn strait

Lodger

The last album wasnt the best but it is still good

ALEX CLARE. You might know his song "Too Close" because of the IE9 commercial (and I here its bigger in Europe), but that man's album deserves freakin' Grammies.

[iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/boOG4pUR83Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen][/iframe]

[iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y4wiPneqVyU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen][/iframe]

[iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zYXjLbMZFmo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen][/iframe]

Manowar is crazy popular in Europe but they're virtually unknown in the US. That is bullshit and needs to change.

Systemshock are quite alright. No one knows who they are though.

Midnattsol, an awesome Norwegian symphonic metal band.

CrashBang:

InMe should have been huge, especially in the UK, years ago.

THANK YOU, These guys are amazing, I've met all of InMe a number of times and Ive talked to Dave McPherson quite a bit. Their albums after they lost poularity are much better then the stuff before though. Saw 'em twice on their last tour as well as when Dave McPherson did an acoustic gig with Devin Townsend.

Les Discrets and Alcest both need to be bigger by far as they have created some of the most beautiful Shoegaze/Black metal of the last 10 years.

booker:

I don't think Charles Mingus needs to be any bigger really. For me he is right up there with Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Django Reinhardt as one of the greatest Jazz musicians, heck both Blues and Roots and Black Saint and... are two of my favourite Jazz albums.

KingCrInuYasha:

Joshey Woshey:
The Kinks. Fuck The Beatles. The Beatles are nothing. The Kinks should have been fucking massive. Instead they had a few top ten singles and faded into obscurity, becoming a cult band.

Oh goodie, another "Beatles is overrated" thing. How original.

Have to agree about the Kinks, though. Tons of great stuff - "See My Friends", "Sittin' On My Sofa", "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?", "Sunny Afternoon", "Dead End Street", "David Watts", "Waterloo Sunset", "Autumn Almanac", "Wonderboy", "Days", "Plastic Man", "Victoria", "Celluloid Heroes" - and yet the Classic Rock and Oldies stations keep passing them up for "You Really Got Me". Not a bad song by any means, but by this point, it's like "Smoke On The Water" - I know it's good, but I wanna hear something else from these guys! 40 years and they still won't show what these guys were truly capable of!

Back on topic, Soft Machine. Arguably the best keyboard power trio, ever!

Damn it I have to post another comment...

Anyway YES I FUCKIN' LOVE SOFT MACHINE (at least until Wyatt left) Third is possibly my favourite prog album ever and the others up until 6 are not too shabby either. Also if there was never Soft Machine then Roger Waters Pink Floyd may never have been such a success.

Well, i don't know how to post videos... or links...

But the Rappers under Funk Volume (Hopsin, Dizzy Wright, SwizZz)

and other individual rappers like The Jokerr and G-Eazy

According to the people I associate with that call themselves "jazz scholars", The Mingus is sadly shunned. The fact that you even mentioned Django would go way over peoples' heads.

And you like The Soft Machine? Dang. I think you might just indubitably be a bad-ass.

DEATHD0DGER:
Skeletonwitch

FUCK YEAH YOU SIR HAVE MADE MY DAY

Most folk bands, avant garde, free noise, punk cabaret, The Mars Volta, black jazz, free jazz, classical. Lots of bands deserve more popularity, not everyone is capable of listening to some music. 'shrugs'

Other people who are amazing, http://www.gamemusicbundle.com/
The Frozen Synapse guy (nervous_testpilot) makes music that could have come from Ghost in the Shell. Yoko Kanno did a lot of Ghost in the Shell music, not in that bundle but pretty good. She's popular if you like your anime (Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop) but not really otherwise. Dave Matthews Band, Powder! Go Away, every soundtrack composer other than Hans Zimmer and Enrico Morricone... The amount of artists who could use a bit more popularity is around as big as the amount of people who will never hear that music.

The Last Nomad:

5-0:
I personally think too few people have heard of Clutch. I wonder if they try to deliberately avoid mainstream success, cause they seem to be more of a club band than a stadium one. I recommend them to any fan of blues or classic rock. Here are four songs from four different albums of theirs- what I really like is that they're always changing their sound. Also, THOSE BEARDS!

Two words my friend, FUCK YES! Basically the band I would have put here myself. Not my favourite band in the stoner rock genre but definelty the one most people would like.

Clutch are mad. ^ ^
If you like them, check out:

Graveyard Train www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmvLBOHGOZ8

Brothers Grim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfgI9-dAxwY

And speaking of beards, ZZ Top. Making beards feel inadequate since 1978. Primus might also be up your alley

treeboy027:
I wish Nickleback had more popularity. Their music is so great, I don't see why they don't.

Kidding.
Really, I'm kidding. (Don't hurt me!)

They're not that bad, their first few albums were pretty good as far as American rock went. Granted, their recent albums are... Well, not the best. But their earlier music wasn't horrible.
Anything from Curb, The State, Silver Side Up, or The Long Road could be put in a playlist with Clutch and it wouldn't detract from the overall sound. Earlier the better of course. Now, if you'd mentioned a song from an album after those, that would definitely call for capital punishment. :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked