Is it immoral to keep pets?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

JoJo:

Picture the scene. You're just a human kid minding your own business when suddenly without warning, super-intelligent aliens take you away from your mother and into a strange new place run by other aliens. You can't understand more than a word or two of their language and most of it's simply unlearnable by human ears for various reasons, yet they scold or hit you whenever you do something against their arbitrary rules which to you make no sense. You are fed either scraps from the table, or second rate food they buy specially. You have to pretend to be eager and be a "good human" when your masters return if you want to ever get any treats. If you're unfortunate, they may live in an environment which you can't survive in and so the rest of your life will be confined to one small tank.

When they go out, you are left alone or in the car or tied up outside, or if you're lucky you might get to come along with a rope tied around your neck so you can't escape from your "family". If the aliens keep more than one human of different genders, then there's a good chance that they'll have you castrated to prevent the inevitable, or perhaps worse maybe use you as a breeder and then take your kids away before they're grown. The aliens have far longer a lifespan than humans and so when you get old and too expensive to keep, they have you euthanatised, cry a few crocodile tears and then forget about you when they go buy a new pet human. That is your life.

This may sound like a horror story but in fact it's the grim reality of the millions of animals kept by us humans as "pets". I often see discussions about the morality of eating animals, or farming them for fur, but rarely this question comes up so I ask you Escapists today, is it really morally okay to keep animals as pets or do animals deserve the right to be free?

Edit: I'll be away from the Escapist for a while for the time of writing, so I won't be able to reply to any more quotes on this thread from 10pm UK time onwards, just a head's up. Feel free to keep discussing the thread matter though ;-)

It's not immoral, because if you know a little bit about how the wolf society then you would know that how they are treated by us are many times better than they would have been treated in the wild.
seriously, ONE small thing that the higher ranked wolves find wrong and you'll be bitten. no matter how small and insignificant it seems.

Didn't bother reading the entire thread but just wanted to throw out one thing here:

Pretty much all animals living "free" spend their lives hungry, cold and afraid. Let's stop pretending there's some magical quality that makes 'free' life as an animal somehow greater than being a well-cared for pet for a human.

1. Animals do not have the same emotional or cognitive range as humans do. On the whole they cannot think in the abstract beyond a very limited context. The alien example is not comparable. It's flawed on many, many levels.

2. Do not overly romanticize life in the wild. "Oh boy, it sure must be better than being domesticated because freedom!". Freedom in the broad, non-immediate sense isn't something most animals can even grasp. More than that, living in the wild is not a pleasant experience. You are constantly exposed to the elements. For practically any kind of animal that humans keep as pets, you are in constant threat of danger. The drive for food is your overwhelming, almost solitary, concern because being able to eat it neither easy nor is it guaranteed. Your average pet-type animal living in the wild would live out every single day cold, starving, and afraid for its life.

3. Social grouping. Animals do not have some sort of secret pre-domestic ideal life that they long for any time their human keepers are not around. Animals are not that socially complex. If you own a dog, you know how your dog sees you? As a dog. You're part of its social group, you fill the role of caretaker and provider, obviously you are also a dog. You're basically its parent. It's much the same across pretty much any other species. Animals aren't that complicated. If you put lion cubs with a golden retriever that's had puppies, she will automatically assume those lions are baby dogs and go into her mother-routine behaviors. If you dress up piglets in little tiger stripe blankets and put them with a tigress who's had cubs, she will automatically assume they're baby tigers and care for them accordingly. If you behave like an animal's parent, providing food, shelter, and security, it assumes that's what you are. Social groups aren't abstract things for animals, they're quite simple and they're quite real.

Animal cruelty is intolerable and monstrous.

Keeping animals as pets is not cruelty, nor is it immoral.

Immoral to feed and provide care for animals? No

OP's example doesn't hold much water. Dogs and cats aren't intelligent in the same way people are intelligent. They are capable of thought and reason to an extent but aren't self aware; they don't worry about much more than their surroundings. Dogs get along well with humans because it satisfies a pack instinct and cats are just happy to get a free meal.

Also, it is my experience that you can't really "keep" cats so much as you can persuade them to stick around with food and shelter.

JoJo:

Picture the scene. You're just a human kid minding your own business when suddenly without warning, super-intelligent aliens take you away from your mother and into a strange new place run by other aliens. You can't understand more than a word or two of their language and most of it's simply unlearnable by human ears for various reasons, yet they scold or hit you whenever you do something against their arbitrary rules which to you make no sense. You are fed either scraps from the table, or second rate food they buy specially. You have to pretend to be eager and be a "good human" when your masters return if you want to ever get any treats. If you're unfortunate, they may live in an environment which you can't survive in and so the rest of your life will be confined to one small tank.

When they go out, you are left alone or in the car or tied up outside, or if you're lucky you might get to come along with a rope tied around your neck so you can't escape from your "family". If the aliens keep more than one human of different genders, then there's a good chance that they'll have you castrated to prevent the inevitable, or perhaps worse maybe use you as a breeder and then take your kids away before they're grown. The aliens have far longer a lifespan than humans and so when you get old and too expensive to keep, they have you euthanatised, cry a few crocodile tears and then forget about you when they go buy a new pet human. That is your life.

This may sound like a horror story but in fact it's the grim reality of the millions of animals kept by us humans as "pets". I often see discussions about the morality of eating animals, or farming them for fur, but rarely this question comes up so I ask you Escapists today, is it really morally okay to keep animals as pets or do animals deserve the right to be free?

Edit: I'll be away from the Escapist for a while for the time of writing, so I won't be able to reply to any more quotes on this thread from 10pm UK time onwards, just a head's up. Feel free to keep discussing the thread matter though ;-)

Firstly, I will address your edit.

Advice: If you are going to start a thread which is obviously inflammatory and going to get a lot of responses from a lot of people, mainly because you sound a bit like PETA, wait until you are able to reply to a lot of comments before posting. Otherwise it looks like you are just cutting and running, leaving an argument for other people to have.

Now, time to address everything else. Yes, it is ethical to keep pets, as long as you treat them well. I mean, of course it is not ethical to keep a pet cat if you kick this everloving crap out of it but most people don't do that and that is a different kettle of fish.

Now lets consider your argument if you assume that cats have the same level of comprehension as humans. Are you against adoption? Our cat, Moriarty, is a rescue cat. He was taken in after getting rather ill as a stray, he had ear mites and other such lovelies. We look after him, at vast expense, and make sure he stays healthy. Sure, he was spayed, not by us but by the RSPCA, but that is to prevent a much larger issue, even more stray cats. Moriarty seems to like his life here, I mean, he has proved that he is a capable hunter, taking down birds and the like on occasion, and once he left for a few days and then came back.

So to recap: Our pet can leave and would be able to sustain himself if he did leave but chooses not to for whatever reasons. This is taken from the assumption that he has the same cognitive functions as a human (Or even brain functions that are slightly close to that of a human). But that is not the case.

The reality here? Most "Pets" cannot live in the wild any more. Yep, that is thanks to humans but this is now a chicken and the egg argument, we bred animals to be a certain way and now they are that way and cannot live without us. This is not the case with our housecat, but there are plenty of dogs out there that would die in the wild and die very, very fast. From small dogs that cannot breed to large dogs that have heart problems, we really screwed the pooch on that one. In those cases the question is "Should we let this animal die a slow and painful death or should we look after it because we find it enjoyable to have a pet".

I know the equivalence you are trying to sustain here is that we are like a super advanced species when compared to our pets and "What if aliens did this to us, that would not be ok!" but there is a large difference here. No matter how advanced an alien species was in comparison to us, they would be able to understand that we are a distinct, and sentient, species. We have built an entire civilization. We are capable of higher cognitive functions. We, unlike our pets, have concepts of family, love, poetry and art. One case would be slavery, cruel and inhumane. But owning a pet? It has no real concept of the world, as long as you keep it happy (And you can tell if animals are happy) there is no ethical issue. It is not similar to slavery and any links that are made are made by morons.

If an animal showed signs of self-awareness I would be with you wholeheartedly in stating that keeping that particular animal as a pet is wrong. I believe keeping some species of monkeys as pets is not ethical, nor would I ever condone someone keeping an elephant or a dolphin as a pet. But all of the above examples have shown signs of self awareness and that is a whole different issue.

But, and I will make this clear, I take the same standpoint as the RSPCA. Declawing is a horrific thing to even consider and is counted as abuse in this country.

It would only really be bad if you get owners that hit mistreat you. Hell, if I get nice owners thats always been a rather nice 'what if' of mine.

Well, cats are self domesticated.. so...

Hero in a half shell:
We had a guy in at our school with birds of prey, he had an owl there and one of the things that really struck me was when he said in captivity an owls natural lifespan is about 2 years, before their dangerous, crappy lifestyle kills them. In captivity it's about 8 years. That's four times as long. Now I know that dogs and cats are different, and the extra lifespan won't be as much, but kept as pets the animals will survive longer than they would have in the wild, and they have a much higher standard of living.

Better food at regular guaranteed intervals, Shelter, safety, companionship, healthcare, kept clean, flea free, dewormed. All these are huge benefits for a pet. The only compromise they have to make is less freedom, a smaller area to excercise in, and (maybe) a lack of their own species to interact with.

It's a very fair trade-off, especially since most pets are born into domesticated families, and wouldn't survive in the wild anymore anyway.

EDIT: As far as how the animals feel about it look at this cat:

Does this cat look sad to you?

no, but it does look adorable!!!!

no....its not imoral too have pets...PETS are bred to be our companions, if you treat them well its a great deal for everyone

now wild animals on the other hand is a different thing, they arnt used to domestication

fuck what PETA says,

JoJo:
<<*SNIP*>>

If you're going to post an open binary question to an entire internet form, which the overwhelming majority of responses will be answers that you personally don't agree with, then I'm afraid to tell you that it just comes across as outright cowardliness not to include a poll.

My cat lives better than I do. He came malnourished and hurt from a shelter and it broke my heart. His fur was falling out and you couldn't touch his head straight on so I pamper him.

Expensive food, heated bed, run of the house. I love him to death and I am not sure what kind of life he had before I got him but I won't let him go back to it.

Maybe you haven't noticed but humans kind of have a society that they can easily survive in without needing to worry about struggling to survive. We're social animals that need others that we can communicate with. Our needs are different from a dogs and will not be met by those aliens. Autonomy is important to us, whether it is naturally so or it is because we've been raised to value it already. It is not so important to animals, or at least it sure doesn't appear to be. It's absurd to put us in a similar situation when we're rather dissimilar from those animals.

teqrevisited:
If my cats didn't want to live here anymore they know where the doors are. As it is they keep coming back. They'd be able to survive out there, too. They've got birds, mice, rats etc all of which they are capable of catching.

Pretty much what the Ninja I'm quoting said. I have two cats, lovely animals with complete freedom. If they wanted to leave they wouldn't keep coming back.

As for the OP, you talk about animals experiencing things such as Stockholm Syndrome, advanced psychological conditions and then attribute their psychology to a lesser extent then a Human's. Not particularly good since you used a human for your main example. It's contradictions like these that are debasing your argument.

JoJo:

Secret world leader (shhh):

Yeah...i'm pretty sure more than a few people won't appreciate you comparing pet-owning to the slave trade...just sayin'.

Well, if they don't like it then that shows I've hit a tender nerve yes? ;-)

By that logic if say you make the analogy "people who keep pets endorse rape" if people disagree then that means pets are wrong. It just doesn't hold up.

OT: The same could be said of children, taken from an early age to some people they don't know then expected to be good, and befor you bring up speech i don't think a 2 year old can clearly convey their innermost feelings. There is also the problem that humans just like chimps are social animals, this makes them different to cats dogs and other domesticated animals because without a social group they will become depressed and this often leads to death (mostly through malnutrition).

In summery some animals are fine to take as pets others are no. This depends on the animal not us.

Mortai Gravesend:

Maybe you haven't noticed but humans kind of have a society that they can easily survive in without needing to worry about struggling to survive. We're social animals that need others that we can communicate with. Our needs are different from a dogs and will not be met by those aliens. Autonomy is important to us, whether it is naturally so or it is because we've been raised to value it already. It is not so important to animals, or at least it sure doesn't appear to be. It's absurd to put us in a similar situation when we're rather dissimilar from those animals.

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. Give someone an unlimited supply of Big Macs, a perpetually high-end computer with high-speed internet, and a bucket to shit in, I'm sure there are some who would be fine with the occasional scratch behind the ear. <.<

LetalisK:

Mortai Gravesend:

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. Give someone an unlimited supply of Big Macs, a perpetually high-end computer with high-speed internet, and a bucket to shit in, I'm sure there are some who would be fine with the occasional scratch behind the ear. <.<

Well we do have *some* needs a dog doesn't that the high end computer with high speed Internet might help fulfil XD

Though some people might like that before they die of a heart attack from the Big Macs...

JoJo:

Secret world leader (shhh):

Yeah...i'm pretty sure more than a few people won't appreciate you comparing pet-owning to the slave trade...just sayin'.

Well, if they don't like it then that shows I've hit a tender nerve yes? ;-)

Phasmal:

So, what exactly would you have pet owners do?
Release domesticated animals to suffer and die in the wild?

It's just not really a valid conversation to have right now. As already stated, domestication having already taken place kind of kneecaps any survivablity these animals might have.

Also, another note on the whole `abduction` thing... one of our cats was given to us pregnant and when she had her kittens she rejected them. In the wild they would have died. So I'm pretty sure the kittens were probably happier that we kept them.

To be honest this is more of a hypothetical discussion than a manifesto or actual proposal, if measures were taken to reduce or ban pet owning then likely what to be done would vary by species. Feral cats and dogs exist in many countries though, and more recently pets such as parrots or rabbits have barely changed from their ancestors so I reckon they'd have a good chance of reintergrating into the gene pool.

Zeckt:
You don't have a pet, I'm afraid you just don't understand.

I'd argue I understand better than most pet owners, since my judgement isn't clouded by bias or justifications of my own past actions to do with the subject.

As many of you are well aware, Mr. Trolol has passed away recently. how do you mourn a man named trolol, by trolling of course.

I salute you, Jojo, for your most excellent, and appropriate act of mourning.

Bernzz:

Daystar Clarion:
I mean this in the nicest way possible.

Dogs, cats and other pets are too stupid to know that they're pets.

Also, my dog seems very happy with her life.

Better food than in the wild, better healthcare than in the wild, better beds than in the wild.

The wild seems kind of lame :D

And the thread is already over.

Dogs don't think the way we do, they don't reason the same. All of my dogs think we're all a big pack, and they obey us because to them, we're higher up in the chain of command. And they don't resent us, they all fucking love us. So, yeah, not the same situation.

What about the mother of the dog though? they know that their baby is being taken away at least.

As long as you look after your pets... its 100% fine i hate those people who mistreat their pets.... then its frustrating.

viranimus:
Called it

Been wondering that much longer than since aug 2010.

Cats clearly dont. Look at outside cats. If you feed one and take care of it long enough, it will move beyond the phase of "ill let you glimpse me if you feed me". I rescued an abandoned orange tabby this year, and its simply not satisfied just to be fed by me. It expects me to sit down outside for at least 10 min every day so it can curl up in my lap and take a little nap. Really doesnt seem like its upset that its food comes from one location.

Plus... theres plenty of examples out there how animals can be appreciative of humans. Hell, just watch christian the lion... err dont, because yeah.... Anyway, its a perfect illustration of an animal loving its human keepers.

It's been said a thousand times, but a happy pet isn't a mistreated pet. One of the many "nice thoughts that aren't actually thought about" sparks to a discussion.

JoJo:
You have to pretend to be eager and be a "good human" when your masters return if you want to ever get any treats.

The difference is dogs aren't pretending to be eager when you get home, they are legitimately thrilled to see you. Dogs don't associate the return of their masters with the time to get a treat, they're just ecstatic that they get to hang out with you again.

JoJo:
The aliens have far longer a lifespan than humans and so when you get old and too expensive to keep, they have you euthanatised, cry a few crocodile tears and then forget about you when they go buy a new pet human. That is your life.

When my old dog died, I wasn't crying crocodile tears. I was heartbroken that I had to say goodbye to my best friend. And it wasn't a question of him being too expensive to keep; he was in pain and we were doing what was best for him. And finally, when we got a new dog a few years later I was happy but I did not forget the previous family dog who had been such a pivotal part of my childhood.

Ultimately, your example is flawed based on the fact that pets aren't as smart as us. They are not as cognizant of the world around them and the implications of their living situations.

i will never keep a bird in a cage...very unnatural

Symbiosis is the only reason complex life can be sustained, most "pets" are the remnants of a former symbiotic relationship that existed between man and various species of animal. Pets no longer contribute to the survivability of the 2 species (because if they are contributing then they arent pets) and are therefore parasites. Those species more recently domesticated by humans, purely for the purpose of companionship are also parasites.
So no it isnt moral for people to have pets because these creatures are impeding humans' ability to survive, which is entirely unfair to humans. Therefore they should be exterminated to allow people to prosper. Or these animals can get off their asses and start contributing.

Orrrr.... you goddamn hippies can stop trying to humanise animals and also stop observing anecdotal evidence as representative of everything. Theres a fucking reason dogs come back home when they get out of the yard (after a nice run of course) its cause they fucking want to be home and not living in the wild fighting to survive every day. They dont care about being "free" because theyre unable to comprehend the concept, they DO care about having sustenance and shelter which is what theyre freaking getting because theyre freaking pets.. how about we worry about the animals that arent lucky enough to be pets; the ones that dont know where theyre going to sleep at night, that dont know if theyre going to starve to death this winter, that watch most of their children die because only the strong may live, that have to experience the terror of fighting for their lives whenever something bigger comes along.

So no it isnt moral for man to have to carry so many other species on its shoulders, but what are you gonna do? Theyre just so damn cute

My cat's a whole lot happier and healthier than some of the strays i see around. I prefer to keep pets that have a modicum of freedom, like dogs or cats, rather than something that stays in a cage. I probably consider them closer to family members than property.

him over there:

Bernzz:

Daystar Clarion:
*snip*

Dogs don't think the way we do, they don't reason the same. All of my dogs think we're all a big pack, and they obey us because to them, we're higher up in the chain of command. And they don't resent us, they all fucking love us. So, yeah, not the same situation.

What about the mother of the dog though? they know that their baby is being taken away at least.

Haha, well, in one specific example, one of our dogs is actually the mother of another one of our dogs. She no longer treats her puppy like a puppy. More like an annoyance. So she wouldn't mind.

The mothers get to a stage where they really are sick of their puppies, and eventually they even forget about their puppies entirely. Their puppies would become, to them, just another dog, whether the puppy is taken away or not.

Bernzz:

him over there:

Bernzz:

Haha, well, in one specific example, one of our dogs is actually the mother of another one of our dogs. She no longer treats her puppy like a puppy. More like an annoyance. So she wouldn't mind.

The mothers get to a stage where they really are sick of their puppies, and eventually they even forget about their puppies entirely. Their puppies would become, to them, just another dog, whether the puppy is taken away or not.

First, D'awww that's sweet. But the thing is some dogs can be taken from their mothers before their first birthday, I don't really know what point mother dogs view their pups as ready to go out on their own so this point could be moot based entirely on that.

My dog, before he passed did lick my face daily and he lived the life of the pet for 14 years so either face licking is a form of serious resentment or just plain stupid way of showing someone you like them.

I don't think he was living the tortured life your human-pet lived.

Deviate:
Didn't bother reading the entire thread but just wanted to throw out one thing here:

Pretty much all animals living "free" spend their lives hungry, cold and afraid. Let's stop pretending there's some magical quality that makes 'free' life as an animal somehow greater than being a well-cared for pet for a human.

I agree, a very simple and effective explanation :). I can't even imagine how my lovely dog (who has a bum leg) would live in the wild, he probably would've been eaten in like...3 days.

I think that this thread is kind of offensive to people who actually have animals and who are taking good care of them. Like...i should feel bad because im taking care of an animal who doesn't have the luck to walk straight like every other dog. I don't know if it was this thread purpose but..i actually feel insulted...must...resist...calling you out...you were pretty fucking close to make me say something that would give me a warning...very very close. I would suggest that you stop with your pseudo-intellectual idiotic questions.

Jojo...you are desperately trying to prove your point but the reality is...you shot yourself in the foot right in your very first sentence:

Picture the scene. You're just a human kid minding your own business when suddenly without warning, super-intelligent aliens take you away from your mother and into a strange new place run by other aliens.

Dogs are not as intelligent as humans...it's dull to say that but it's the truth. They don't need to go to work, to go to school, have a home, buy groceries, pay their bill and do all this human shit. They only need: A master (that takes good care of him), food and water...THAT'S IT ! So, don't try to come up with extremely exagerated example just try to prove something that is completely unimportant, pointless and will end up just hurting a lot of people.

If you think that you're above helping an animal then...that's fine but don't fucking come down on the people who actually dare to help the bird with the broken leg instead of letting him getting killed.

him over there:

Bernzz:

him over there:

*snippity*

First, D'awww that's sweet. But the thing is some dogs can be taken from their mothers before their first birthday, I don't really know what point mother dogs view their pups as ready to go out on their own so this point could be moot based entirely on that.

Well, the puppy we have isn't even 6 months old and her mum is sick of her. I can't speak for every situation ever and I won't pretend to, I'm not omnipresent after all, but by a year I believe almost all dogs would treat any puppy of theirs as just another dog in the pack, not a child to be raised and protected.

Those are the kind of values we place on human children, and as people keep trying to point out to the OP, dogs aren't human, so we shouldn't attribute our thought processes to them, because that's just not how it works.

Okay how about this; (long story... kind of)

So yeah, we got my dog from the pound. She was skinny (I could count her ribs and sometimes see her spine) and fearful. She didn't want to be near my dad and would flinch every time he went to pet her. I've had her for five years. She's filled out, and my dad is her favourite. She's great with kids and puppies, and loves to be petted. We have a cat, and she loves to "clean" the cat (the cat does not approve), and enjoys to cuddle.

So do I think keeping pets is immoral? No. If you're a good person and responsible then it's fine.

To me, letting them rot in the pound or have to fend for themselves is the immoral option. I mean, would you rather starve to death or be with a loving family?

Don't use cats for examples, people. Cats suck hard.

Anyway, on topic, I have one issue with your post, OP.

JoJo:
The aliens have far longer a lifespan than humans and so when you get old and too expensive to keep, they have you euthanatised, cry a few crocodile tears and then forget about you when they go buy a new pet human. That is your life.

Were this in a different setting or site, where civility wasn't praised, I would have said some very nasty things to you about this sentence.

Your implication that my love for my late dog wasn't real, that my tears shed while she died in my arms was fake, or that I have forgotten anything about the girl that I spent twelve years of my life with despite having a new dog that I love just as much...

Any words that I could say to describe how I take that implication would get me banned outright.

Fuck, I'm in tears just from typing that.

Goddammit. I miss Holly =(

Daystar Clarion:
I mean this in the nicest way possible.

Dogs, cats and other pets are too stupid to know that they're pets.

Also, my dog seems very happy with her life.

Better food than in the wild, better healthcare than in the wild, better beds than in the wild.

The wild seems kind of lame :D

^^^ This

Also I'm pretty sure that 3 out 4 of my cats would get themselves killed in the wild. They're beyond retarded at times. I'd say its only immoral if you treat them like utter shit. Some people should not have pets or for that matter children xD

Humans have selectively bred household pets for centuries. These aren't wild animals being taken from their environment when you adopt them; they're being returned home.

But anyone seeking to adopt an animal, do a solid and adopt from a shelter or from something like the RSCPA. There are millions upon millions of animals like cats and dogs that live in cages, waiting for someone to save them. They have limited time, as keeping them alive is costly and there is very little money going towards groups like the RSCPA and private shelters, so many, many fine animals are put down every day. Your perfect buddy is out there and they need your help.

Please, don't support breeders. Save animals instead.

chadachada123:
Don't use cats for examples, people. Cats suck hard.

Anyway, on topic, I have one issue with your post, OP.

JoJo:

Were this in a different setting or site, where civility wasn't praised, I would have said some very nasty things to you about this sentence.

Your implication that my love for my late dog wasn't real, that my tears shed while she died in my arms was fake, or that I have forgotten anything about the girl that I spent twelve years of my life with despite having a new dog that I love just as much...

Any words that I could say to describe how I take that implication would get me banned outright.

Fuck, I'm in tears just from typing that.

Goddammit. I miss Holly =(

*hug*

You gave her a good life. She was happy and loved you lots. That's what matters.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked