How much would you sell a year of your life for?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

For one year of my life? Whatever the time of payment's equivalent to a present day sixty-seven million United States dollars is.

The real question is who's willing to buy that and how much incentive do they have to pay me for it?

axlryder:

BringBackBuck:
Hell I'm already giving away 8 hrs/day x 5 days/week x 46 weeks per year = 1840hrs every year out of a possible 8,760 (365days x 24hrs).

This means one in every five years I loose an entire year to working for the man.

So I am currently selling my years at about 5 x annual salary.

Yeah, but the time you spend asleep is effectively useless in accomplishing anything or acquiring currency (unless you're accounting for your dreams).

That being the case, the number of days required for you earn that money will forcibly be extended even if you worked every single waking hour (which would still suck and be impractical). So really you might as well subtract 8 hours from the 365 days. That puts you at 365 x 16hrs. So 3 x your annual salary seems more realistic, as it's still effectively saving you 2 years of your life in relation to time spent on just earning money. It also saves you a full three years of stress on your body and gives you more opportunity to fully utilize your youth. Plus you have that money to work with immediately, which could ultimately be used to generate more currency. I'd say 2 times annual salary is probably closer to what I'd ask for, and maybe a bonus .5 years for my trouble.

People keep using this logic. Do you do nothing with your life other than work? Do you not have friends and family? Do you not enjoy your time when not working? Work is the LEAST important thing in a well balanced life.

Presuming I'll live to 90 I'd offer 40 years for 30,000 each since that's the average I would earn each year (since the retirement age keeps going up hehe) and that'd be about 1,200,000

I would be very, VERY happy with that since I don't have any interest in living past 50 anyway

Wolverine18:

Grouchy Imp:

Wolverine18:

Not everyone would work for that amount of money.

And most people realize that a year of your life is about more than money/working.

And what makes you think you will live to 93? And if you do live that long, what makes you think you would be in that state? My great grandfather lived to 100. Up until he was 98 nothing was wrong with him but hearing loss. After that he had some health problems, but was still "with it" and took care of himself until about 2 or 3 months before he died, at which point he needed a nursing home.

I was attempting (and clearly failing) to be humourous. And 20k a year ain't that bad - minimum wage is 12k a year, so quite a lot of people do work for that amount of money.

I didn't say people wouldn't work for that amount. I said "not everyone" and thus the higher numbers may in part reflect much higher salary expectations.

Ah, right, I read that sentence the other way around. Fair do's.

Well some people seem content with giving up years of life for some smokes, so there's something to think about >_>

But I really don't think I would give up a year of my life (unless I get more life in return).
Though for a hypothetical, no lower then double whatever the richest person that ever existed made in a year. Then it just might be worth it.

1 septillion dollers and not a cent less I know you may think im stengy but hay your wanting life why not take it and il be happy :D

Enough to keep me in nice living for the otherwise rest of my life. Assuming that I will be a healthy person and live to be 85, I'm 23, so that's 62 years, minus one, so 61 years.

Let's say...70K a year. That's $4.27 million.

There you go. I would trade a year off the end of my life, for never having to work, ever again.

Matthew94:
The thread is simple, if you were to lose an entire of your life, how much would you sell it for?

When I say lose I mean: Never get to experience, it just doesn't happen. Simply, imagine you have a death clock and it can be put 1 year forward for a sum of cash. What would you expect in payment?

I dunno. What am I offered?

I'd be willing to sell off a year of hypothetical future time to make my life significantly better NOW. Let's start the bidding at a million and see what we can get.

I would happily give up 5 years for the certain knowledge that I will die instantly and painlessly when I do. The thought of being sucked into a jet intake or lingering for months in a hospital bed unable to control my bowels and having my legs amputated due to bedsores and gangrene does not appeal.

dangoball:

DJJ66:
Few million, at least, and with a very sour aftertaste give I'd hardly ever do anything that purposefully shortens my life span.

So I take it you don't smoke, not even as a passive smoker, never eat any junk food, are an expert at avoiding stress and all that crap? Congrats then!
And please don't take it as a personal attack. It's just that our lives are full of stuff at actually shorten our lifespan and we pay for most of it.

OT: As mentioned above I consider this question highly ironic. Take your average smoker - If they give up smoking, they could save enough on not buying smokes to buy a house (depends on how old they are when giving up) and live longer. Of course, addiction is a bitch that doesn't go away when asked nicely.

So given that we already give our time for money (you know - work) and then give that money for stuff that sustains and shortens our lives, I don't think I would ask for that much. Definitely not millions of Eurs. I would ask that death dealer to come tomorrow after I've done my math which I'm to lazy to do now :P

Side note: moving captcha is effin' distracting!

Well... Yes, I don't smoke and tend to avoid places with people who do. Never drink (though not by choice... I used to enjoy a drink every now and then but some aberrant natural liver condition forced me to drop the habit), hardly ever drink soft drinks, avoid fast food as often as I can (though I do partake in once in a while), avoid stress (though this isn't as often given my student/intern career and apeshit family).

Hence why I say I tend to avoid anything that purposefully () rkeywordenders any sort of purposeful dent in my lifespan (the odd burger king trip aside). Though, this is more due to the fact I've had a recent brush with a terminal condition leading to my uneventful demise within a few months unless I took some very drastic measures to secure my place amongst the living, than anything else. Which was sort of a good thing given I haven't taken my life for granted ever since.

$7,613,000,008. Because I damn well feel like it. It's not a bad number, methinks.

Matthew94:
The thread is simple, if you were to lose an entire of your life, how much would you sell it for?

When I say lose I mean: Never get to experience, it just doesn't happen. Simply, imagine you have a death clock and it can be put 1 year forward for a sum of cash. What would you expect in payment?

I'm still not totally sure what you mean. Would I suddenly wake up and be one year older, or would it not affect me at all until the very end of my life, forcing me to die at 92 rather than 93?

Because I'd want a lot more for a year from my youth than from when I'll probably be ready to die anyway.

Captcha: Tea with jam. Depending on how good the tea is, that might be my price...

Donnie Restad:

Matthew94:

I'm still not totally sure what you mean. Would I suddenly wake up and be one year older, or would it not affect me at all until the very end of my life, forcing me to die at 92 rather than 93?

Because I'd want a lot more for a year from my youth than from when I'll probably be ready to die anyway.

Captcha: Tea with jam. Depending on how good the tea is, that might be my price...

This keeps happening and I don't know how you don't get it.

I mean that you lose 1 year from your life expectancy. As in "if you were going to live to 86, you will now live to 85, your current age doesn't change".

I thought the death clock explanation was fine.

Hmm, if we say 85, I will sell 5 years of my life for 2 million pounds. Yeah, that seems pretty reasonable.

As much as I could.

Page one of Haggling, never reveal the minimum offer. So I'll open at 10000 gold sovereigns and and equal value in assorted precious gems with half that value in assorted jewellery.

Not only will it look awesome it's probably financially sensible considering the current economic situation.

Also I want a top hat, when I come back I want to be wearing a top hat.

Any chance this thought has come forth from the movie "In Time"? :p

Movie where everyone grows to be 25 years old physically and then has 1 year and that time is also the currency. Rich people get to have (and live) hundreds or possibly thousands of years and poor people have to live day by day, awesome concept.

OT: Probably not really that much, couple of hundred k if I can get away with it, more if possible. 1 year less being an old man with possible physical or mental health problems would actually not be worth that much to me.

Wolverine18:

axlryder:

BringBackBuck:
Hell I'm already giving away 8 hrs/day x 5 days/week x 46 weeks per year = 1840hrs every year out of a possible 8,760 (365days x 24hrs).

This means one in every five years I loose an entire year to working for the man.

So I am currently selling my years at about 5 x annual salary.

Yeah, but the time you spend asleep is effectively useless in accomplishing anything or acquiring currency (unless you're accounting for your dreams).

That being the case, the number of days required for you earn that money will forcibly be extended even if you worked every single waking hour (which would still suck and be impractical). So really you might as well subtract 8 hours from the 365 days. That puts you at 365 x 16hrs. So 3 x your annual salary seems more realistic, as it's still effectively saving you 2 years of your life in relation to time spent on just earning money. It also saves you a full three years of stress on your body and gives you more opportunity to fully utilize your youth. Plus you have that money to work with immediately, which could ultimately be used to generate more currency. I'd say 2 times annual salary is probably closer to what I'd ask for, and maybe a bonus .5 years for my trouble.

People keep using this logic. Do you do nothing with your life other than work? Do you not have friends and family? Do you not enjoy your time when not working? Work is the LEAST important thing in a well balanced life.

but that's the whole point. You ultimately reduce the time you spend having to work by giving up a year at the end of your life for a large sum of money that you would otherwise have to spend time working for. This means it gives you more time to do things other than work and gives you the money to do whatever you want. You're literally agreeing with me. Also, what constitutes a "well balanced life" is an individual thing, as is what constitutes "work".

Wasn't there a mediocre action movie released recently with this concept?

Seeing as how I currently favor life much more greatly over monies, I'd probably except no less than $2,000,000

Enough to start up research on how to lengthen ones lifespan by 366+ days. Take that Satan. (I'm assuming Satan would be the instigator of this deal).

Hmm a good question. I would guess I'd take as little as 1 million U.S. but I'd be far more comfortable with 100 million.

10 million a year. I'll be set for life.

BTW, why do you guys charge so little?

No amount of money would make me consider that trade

Matthew94:

We already do this. It's called work.

while the money would be nice, missing a year of events and such would kill me on the inside. Plus would i still be able to keep my job? or am i starting over with this check for my year?

I'd go so far as 2 years for however much cash it would take to get Nomura to stop screwing around and make Kingdom Hearts 3 already T__T

A billion, I'm either going to get a higher quality of life through the cash that'd last throughout my entire life or no deal.

Can you imagine how out of hand this system would get? "Oh shit, I really need that car loan... Another year wouldn't hurt, right? I can stop whenever I want."

Next thing you know people are dropping dead out of nowhere in the middle of the streets because they didn't budget wisely enough.

Paradoxrifts:

Matthew94:

We already do this. It's called work.

Ha. Sad but true.

I would probably want to know what I would be signing my life off for. Would I be simply 'giving' my time away or will I need to commit to something for a whole year? If it's the latter, it would depend on how extraneous the event will be. If it would be a guinea pig to a new suspended animation pod, then I would charge a few million. If it's to participate in some dangerous mission, I would increase the sales price ten fold.

One day alone with Christina Hendricks, or, if I like swinging for the other team, Ryan Gosling (a guy can fantasize right?)

Wolverine18:

James Joseph Emerald:

ZehMadScientist:
I'd go with $500.000 I guess. It's very likely that it'll be more than I will make in the year that I'm offering.

You make less than $500 a year? That's pretty bad.

I love when poeple get all full of themselves and correct an error while being so narrow minded as not to think that the other person may be using the correct symbol for their reigion. Go check out some windows numbers formats if you don't believe me.

First off, isn't that exactly what you're trying to do to me? Act full of yourself and correct me?
Secondly, when speaking English you kinda need to abide by the rules for English grammar and punctuation. For example, some languages use << >> as quotation marks instead of "", that doesn't make it acceptable in English.
Thirdly, "poeple", "reigion"? At least do a cursory spell-check if you gon' step up to the Grammar Nazi plate, son.

$100,000 is fine for me. I mean, those last few years will be spent sitting in a rocking chair, blind, deaf and pooping in my pants anyway.

I think Muslims and Christians get the better deal. They accept few years of their lives on this earth where they complain, judge and generally being a prick in exchange for eternal life in heaven. Be it wings and harps, or a whore house of 72 year old virgins.

Matthew94:

Wasn't there a film out last year that was about life as a form of currency. "2 minutes for a cup of coffee? That's bullshit!"

Of course, there's also the amount of time you spend waiting for the coffee. That's how they get ya!

OT: Probably for a hefty ransom. How hefty, I'm not sure.

I was actually going to make a thread with that exact question. Now I'll just go threadless for the time being. Damn ninjas...

But yeah, only 1 million dollars or more. Because I plan on not being in a nursing home at the end, so still functioning and living decently, and 1 million dollars I feel would make enough of an impact to the other 79 years to be worth it. But even then...1 year is incredibly important, considering that your life is finite at all. I think it's just the magnitude of the ability to feel anything that leaves me able to trade it off, because I can't see how massively valuable it is.

One more thing to consider: What if we get human -> robot conversion down and affordable in my lifetime? Or some other form of immortality comes to light? Could I just trade away, becoming obscenely rich? Then again, I might perish somehow in the future, which is entirely likely.

tl;dr, one million dollars and no less.

MeChaNiZ3D:
I was actually going to make a thread with that exact question. Now I'll just go threadless for the time being. Damn ninjas...

Your time is coming soon my friend.

On Saturday at work I thought of a thread, I was ninja'd and someone else did it first. I was in the exact same position as you.

BUT! On Sunday at work, I thought of this thread and I got it posted and it's turned out reasonably well, better than the other thread did.

Maybe you will come up with an even better thread?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked