Which fan-pairings do you hate, and why?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

First, I'd like to say a word or 353.

Since the dawn of civilization, Mankind has asked themselves many questions. Many of these are irrelevant to this thread; the one we're gonna focus on today is the question that could kinda-sorta-but-not-really be considered the greatest question of them all...

"Would those two make a cute couple, or what?"

Okay, that's nowhere near the top 100 questions Mankind has asked themselves, but you gotta admit, pretty much every fandom ever these days has their very own shipping department. That is not hyperbole. EVERY LAST DAMN FANDOM EVER has a shipping department. Also, the quality of these pairings can range anywhere between "I'm surprised it isn't canon" to the depressingly more common "HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL DOES THIS MAKE ONE IOTA OF SENSE!?"

Today, we're gonna talk/rant about the latter.

In this thread, I want you awesome, awesome people to talk about the pairings you've come across that you vehemently oppose, and why. Do you consider the characters in question to be generally incompatible? Are they enemies? Are they related? Would their pairing involve a sexual orientation that at least one member does not possess? Are one or more of these characters inanimate objects? Are both characters canonically paired with somebody else? Are they even alive? Feel free to elaborate.

For example: I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, and I generally tend to scoff at any pairing that isn't Sora/Kairi or Roxas/Xion. I tend to puke internally whenever I see Sora paired with Riku; any homo moments between them in canon were a result of bad writing and NOTHING. ELSE. GOT IT!? I also hate it when I see Axel and Roxas as anything more than friends for similar reasons. One more thing: It is my honest opinion that Aqua, Ventus and Terra should never be paired with one another; they're all surrogate siblings, for crying out loud!

Oh yeah; I should probably tell you that this thread was inspired by a picture I saw on DeviantArt that paired Vanitas/Kairi, which is pretty much the KH equivalent of Hitler/Mother Teresa. Ugh, do not want.

So then, which fan-pairings do YOU hate, and why?

Sherlock Holmes/John Watson.

God damn it, JUST BECAUSE TWO MEN LIVE IN THE SAME APARTMENT AND ARE PARTNERS IN CRIME-SOLVING DOESN'T MEAN THEY HAVE TO BE HOMOSEXUALS.

I'm blissfully unaware of even a single "fan-pairing" in any IP.

I know what shipping is and I know that it exists, but I've never actually encountered it in action.

So, uh... feel free to tell me some of the crazier ones. I'm actually kind of curious now.

Ldude893:

God damn it, JUST BECAUSE TWO MEN LIVE IN THE SAME APARTMENT AND ARE PARTNERS IN CRIME-SOLVING DOESN'T MEAN THEY HAVE TO BE HOMOSEXUALS.

Hmmm... reading that gave me a RAGING clue.

OT: I've honestly never heard of this "shipping" thing until now, and I must say it sounds quite silly.

I hate every single fan-pairing and every single person who fan-pairs characters in media.

The former because they're always stupid and the latter because they're always (read: always) insufferable doucheburgers.

I tend to be annoyed by Kanji/Naoto,or really any girl but Naoto is the most common.Mainly due to the fact that Kanji is gay. I don't mind it if you're just pairing for the sake of the hottness/crack factor(Trust me that's my main reason for Fuuka/every girl). However when it is serious shipping then no. Also Mitsuru/Yukari,it's not a bad pairing just a little too weak.Chie/Yukiko is done better.

As for non Persona parings,nothing really comes to mind except the Edgeworth/Phoenix pairing, for again lack of support.

NOw I sit and wait for the people who will flood me with "proof" of the above mentioned pairings.

it kind of annoys me because its both self indulgent and doesn't respect the scource material

so no..I'm sure you'd love your femshep to get it on with Vega or Joker or (god forbid) Javik..but it aint gonna happen

except for femshep and ashley because it was originally intended...oh come on! don;t tell me you didn't hear a certain something when shepard would say "dissmissed..cheif"

Nanako+P4 Protagonist
They're cousins for fuck's sake! Keep that creepy shit out of my weird... japanese...
alright, fair enough, but I'll still complain.

Any kind of shipping where the characters don't really talk to each other in the source material.

"How does it work?" I think to myself...

Ldude893:

This. This. This!
I agree with you 100%. Sherlock Holmes was asexual if anything and had no time for such nonsense and Watson had a bloody wife. There is no sexual chemistry there!

White Lightning:

Hmmm... reading that gave me a RAGING clue.

OT: I've honestly never heard of this "shipping" thing until now, and I must say it sounds quite silly.

Urgh that is another thing I hate.
Why would you pair Frank & Joe Hardy? It has been done and I don't understand why.

I'm a cheap bugger and I like to read Hardy Boys fanfiction because some are genuinely written really well. But then some evil people have to put them together and leave a bad taste lingering in my mouth. I don't mind people pairing Frank Hardy & Nancy Drew because that makes some sense but leave the brothers alone. :(

Onto a pairing I never got:

I dislike all the non-canon pairings. It's not going to happen, so shut the hell up about it.

Zhukov:
I'm blissfully unaware of even a single "fan-pairing" in any IP.

I know what shipping is and I know that it exists, but I've never actually encountered it in action.

So, uh... feel free to tell me some of the crazier ones. I'm actually kind of curious now.

Some of the shit gets so bizarre it's hard to tell whether they are being deliberately off the wall or being sincere. You can go from pretty innocent ones that, while flagrantly disregarding the source, could happen if the conditions were right... and others that are just outright bizarre.

I can't give a specific example of bizarre, but it would be something like Harry Potter and Spiderman... and not Peter Parker, but the Alter Ego spiderman with no reference to the character of Peter Parker at all. It can get that strange.

Some of the funnier ones would be things Like Legolas and Gimli from Lord of the Rings. Frodo and Sam is too obvious but when I considered the Prissy Elf and the Gruff Dwarf bumping uglies I died a little inside.

But listen to me, this rabbit hole runs deep and it's a dark and scary place the further down you go. I have no personal interest in Shipping but some of the funny stuff drew me in... the rest just scarred me.

Vault101:
it kind of annoys me because its both self indulgent and doesn't respect the scource material

so no..I'm sure you'd love your femshep to get it on with Vega or Joker or (god forbid) Javik..but it aint gonna happen

except for femshep and ashley because it was originally intended...oh come on! don;t tell me you didn't hear a certain something when shepard would say "dissmissed..cheif"

I honestly misread that and thought you mean Vega and Joker. That would be some brutal threesome

I don't know Vault, there was some serious sexual tension between me and Javik and I was playing a Male Shep. It couldn't have escaped you that of all the characters Javik talks about, your the only one he doesn't refer to by species (the "Asari" T'soni, the "Krogan" Wrex etc). Also, Being the last Prothean alive would be a remarkably lonely existence.

Oh god... I just threw up in my mouth.

Any pairing of:

A. Characters who are from completely different shows/books/games/etc. and have never had any interaction with each other.

B. Characters who are directly related to each other.

C. An actual character and an OC.

Ragsnstitches:

Vault101:

I honestly misread that and thought you mean Vega and Joker. That would be some brutal threesome

I don't know Vault, there was some serious sexual tension between me and Javik and I was playing a Male Shep. It couldn't have escaped you that of all the characters Javik talks about, your the only one he doesn't refer to by species (the "Asari" T'soni, the "Krogan" Wrex etc). Also, Being the last Prothean alive would be a remarkably lonely existence.

Oh god... I just threw up in my mouth.

Considering Joker's 'thing' with EDI it'd probably be a foursome and all the more brutal for it. Considering this is the internet and hardcore Bioware fans are certifiably insane there's probably already a fan-fiction of it.

OT: There's very few I'm aware of, like MaleShep and Garrus, but mostly I don't know any and I don't want to know.

As far as I'm concerned canon is what it is. If there aren't any romances, freaky love triangles or who knows what else then maybe, just maybe, the story wasn't intended as such. I can appreciate a good romance (less so on the freaky love triangles and even less on the 'who knows what else') but not absolutely everything has to be one, tacking a random romance onto an otherwise good and interesting story doesn't make it any better. It's entirely possible to have an interesting tale that doesn't involve romantic dramatics...

I only hate fan pairings when the fans insist that the ship is canon, when it is not.

No. Both those characters are firmly heterosexual and one of them is even implied to be a homophobe, they are not gay for each other, I don't care if you write it, stop insisting though that it's canon. It's not.

It's almost always male/male shippers, too, I never see the insistence that a non-canon pairing is canon in male/female or female/female fan pairings.

I have avoided all fanfiction, so I haven't been exposed to much actual shipping.

hazabaza1:
Nanako+P4 Protagonist
They're cousins for fuck's sake! Keep that creepy shit out of my weird... japanese...
alright, fair enough, but I'll still complain.

Cousin marriage is seen as normal and acceptable in many cultures worldwide and there is little increase in risk for genetic issues among first cousins. There is no reason to complain and there is nothing creepy about it.

I don't get the spongebob and Sandy pairings. I mean they don't have any chemistry that I can see :/

I was wondering for a long time if one of my favorite Xbox characters and one of my favorite Nintendo characters ever could be matched together...

I have actually drawn fanart of ridiculous ships for an obscure webcomic, but that's because I talk to the author online and she thinks they're hilarious. Most of my pairings involved minor characters who never interact, some of which have no names because they only appeared in one scene, and some of whom are inanimate objects. I find crack ships hilarious. When watching my roommate play Mass Effect, we shipped her femShep with pretty much every character, including Joker, Grunt, and random shop owners.

I do get kind of creeped out by people who take shipping really seriously, though. I mean, there are some ships that I want to see become canon just because they would be really bold choices on the creators' part. (Homosexuality is seriously overrepresented in shipping, but it's severely underrepresented in media. It would be interesting to see a homosexual couple as main characters in a mainstream series, as long as the characters' established sexualities/personalities are not discarded in the process.) But then there are people who are seriously into seeing Twilight Sparkle and Rarity make out, and that's just... odd. I don't hate any particular pairings or shippers, but... it can get creepy.

Any crack pairing where the characters in question either have exchanged what amounts to a small greeting or absolutely hate each other. If you don't have to throw layers and layers of bullshit into the relationship to make the two characters pairing up seem anywhere near possible, then I'm generally okay with it.

Shipping isn't a bad thing, it gives the fanbase something to talk about and who you hope will end up a couple and present evidence of why.

What I hate is people passing off their ship as canon even when it has gone nowhere yet and will vehemently reject and evidence to the contrary. I also hate them using shipping goggles to try and point out the most insignificant of things to solidify their ship.

Here is an example, in One Piece, people ship Zoro and Robin, why? They barely talk to each other than idle crew banter, she has had more interaction with Franky and Luffy than anyone else, they say because he found the key to her cuffs when she was captured is a sign from the creator that he is pairing them, not only was Zoro finding the key purely because he fought Kaku, but he would fight for any of his friends in trouble. Many people consider this ship canon despite the fact that the series has a strict "No hugging, no kissing" rule among the crew, as stated by the creator.

Another example would be Fairy Tails main hero and heroine, Natsu and Lucy, not that I hate it, but there is little supporting it, a LOT of people mistake scenes of friendship for romance, the only real reason they are shipped is because they are the main hero and heroine, that's it, yet the fans believe that it will happen sooner or later undoubtedly.

Crossover ships also deserve a mention, considering they will never be canon, no matter how much fanart you draw of them.

Guffe:
I was wondering for a long time if one of my favorite Xbox characters and one of my favorite Nintendo characters ever could be matched together...

I didn't even care until I saw this. Enough Matrix DBZ fighting to have my eyes roll out of my skull.

The most boring pairings are when they just have one thing in common with other. It's as simple as that, both Samus and Chief have special suits on and they fight aliens, must make the perfect match, right? I couldn't think of a more boring cliche' pair up if I tried.

Pretty much any shippings where the characters has zero interaction with each other like e.g. I once saw a Hinata X Itachi shipping. You pretty much picking out two random characters and rubbing their faces to each other while making smooching sound to go along with it!!

However the shipping I loathe the most is Midna X Zant from LoZ: Twilight Princess! What the hell? Midna absolutely hate Zant with a fiery fury! Where was the "love" when Midna crush Zant in her colossus form by her hair hand thing!

Any yaoi to be honest. A couple years ago I was into it, but now I just get so annoyed. Ship what you want to ship, I get it, but some stuff should be off limits. I just recently Saw Vaas/Jason from Far Cry 3 and i'm like 'whoaaaaaaaa fuck no D: '

Everyone's pretty much touched on my issues. I think I can take all of that stuff and cram it into what defines a crack ship. As in what makes crack shipping what it is. There are examples everywhere. Harry Potter? Draco X Harry. Those who see this happening can die in a fire.

TizzytheTormentor:
Shipping isn't a bad thing, it gives the fanbase something to talk about and who you hope will end up a couple and present evidence of why.

What I hate is people passing off their ship as canon even when it has gone nowhere yet and will vehemently reject and evidence to the contrary. I also hate them using shipping goggles to try and point out the most insignificant of things to solidify their ship.

Here is an example, in One Piece, people ship Zoro and Robin, why? They barely talk to each other than idle crew banter, she has had more interaction with Franky and Luffy than anyone else, they say because he found the key to her cuffs when she was captured is a sign from the creator that he is pairing them, not only was Zoro finding the key purely because he fought Kaku, but he would fight for any of his friends in trouble. Many people consider this ship canon despite the fact that the series has a strict "No hugging, no kissing" rule among the crew, as stated by the creator.

Another example would be Fairy Tails main hero and heroine, Natsu and Lucy, not that I hate it, but there is little supporting it, a LOT of people mistake scenes of friendship for romance, the only real reason they are shipped is because they are the main hero and heroine, that's it, yet the fans believe that it will happen sooner or later undoubtedly.

First... AWW. A no kissing or hugging rule? I was sorta hoping someone would be with someone eventually in the series. I don't out and out ship anyone. But sometimes I get that vibe from that Lieutenant lady under Smoker who resembles Zoro's old friend. Oh well...

Second: It's funny you mention that. I mostly ship Natsu and Lucy myself. But I don't have any hopes or predictions it'll happen sooner or later. For me, I find that a lot of Shonen heroes have this way about them that have them extra passionate we'll say about their friends. Like Ichigo from "Bleach." Now in my opinion based on the manga mostly, I think Lucy and Natsu have more friendship moments compared to the rest of the charries. Which is why I get my vibes. It's like I see potential because how much more emotion/affection would you need before feelings get there. But in that same vein, Natsu is like that with the other girls too... So I sorta can see them together but don't want it with any real desire.

i'm not a big fan of Ike/Soren from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn...

i just don't see Ike that way, or really WANT him to be with Soren. granted there's a strong connection between the two, but i see it as immense loyalty and respect between the two. i LOVE Soren and i just don't like the pairing (sexually anyway) between him and Ike the musclehead. another popular pairing with Ike is Lethe, but there's a bunch of Lore on a pairing like that i just won't get into, but pretty much assures that sure, there may be attraction between the two, but they won't get together.

that's actually about the only fan-pairing i know of, i'm a HUGE FE nut and it's one of my fav games...

oh... there's also Etna X Laharl, but i don't see that happening at ALL. Etna's loyal to his father, not Laharl. he's more likely to get with Flonne, the insufferable love-freak. and even THAT i barely see happening

I'm a Touhou fan, so I am a little bit overexposed to that kind of thing. It's kinda hard to not notice all that stuff going on even if you're not into romantic fanworks. Seriously, pick any two characters from those games. There's definitely a fanfic, a doujinshi or some fanart depicting them in a romantic relationship. I guess I no longer hate any ships for that reason. You learn to be tolerant when you are part of a huge fandom full of people that like somethng that you feel indifferent to.

I do, however, deeply resent fanworks of any kind where the creator tries to humiliate, flanderise or just outright kill some character just because this character "interferes" with the pairing they like. That seems kinda nasty to me. I mean, if you want Character A to be with Character B, including Character C into your work just for the sake of saying "Take that!" to those who prefer the B/C pairing is kinda petty, right?

game-lover:

TizzytheTormentor:

First... AWW. A no kissing or hugging rule? I was sorta hoping someone would be with someone eventually in the series. I don't out and out ship anyone. But sometimes I get that vibe from that Lieutenant lady under Smoker who resembles Zoro's old friend. Oh well...

Second: It's funny you mention that. I mostly ship Natsu and Lucy myself. But I don't have any hopes or predictions it'll happen sooner or later. For me, I find that a lot of Shonen heroes have this way about them that have them extra passionate we'll say about their friends. Like Ichigo from "Bleach." Now in my opinion based on the manga mostly, I think Lucy and Natsu have more friendship moments compared to the rest of the charries. Which is why I get my vibes. It's like I see potential because how much more emotion/affection would you need before feelings get there. But in that same vein, Natsu is like that with the other girls too... So I sorta can see them together but don't want it with any real desire.

Well, the "no hugging and no kissing" mostly applies to the crew, other characters might be exempt from the rule, SmokerXTashigi could be quite cute...

As for NatsuXLucy, like I said, I don't dislike the pair, but it just doesn't have much to support it, I mean sure, they are great friends and work well together, but so does the whole team, the primary reason they are shipped is because they are both the main hero and heroine.

I would prefer that any couples Mashima or Oda (and all mangakas in general) have planned, to only do it at the end of the story, think about it, a romance can really misdirect a series from the action, especially if it is done poorly.

I didnt know "shipping" was a thing, and now my faith in humanity has plummeted....again.

I usually try to stay away from shipping but recently I stumbled across some Les Mis fan-fiction and God... Jean Valjean and Javert make about as much sense as a couple as Osama Bin Laden and Lady Gaga hooking up. Both characters hold pretty much opposite ideals and are practically asexual as far as the plot goes, neither ever show any romantic interest in anyone.

game-lover:

I believe the creator of One Piece has stated several times that he didn't want any romantic relationships happening between the crew members because that would go against the youthful adventure with friends feeling he's trying to portray here. I kind of disagree with that, because Avatar: The Last Airbender is proof that you can still pull that off with romance involved between the main characters, but whatever, it's his manga.

Yeah it's been said, but fans interpreting friendship as being gay for each other kind of drives me insane. Especially when they've been proven to be heterosexual several times in the show/manga/game/whatever.

Gokuu X Vegeta from Dragon Ball. Firstly, Vegeta despises Gokuu up until the end of the Boo arc, and even then, it's clear that they're nothing more than friendly rivals. Secondly, Gokuu appears to be the most asexual person in the entire series, seeming to care only for food and fighting. I imagine that Chi-Chi had to practically force him for those times they had to have sex to conceive Gohan and Goten.

I'm a massive Evangelion fan as you can see. I hate the Kaworu and Shinji pairing with a passion, it just makes no sense at all. Shinji is not gay.

And no, it's not me being homophobic, I just don't think Shinji is at all homosexual.

Every "fan-pairing" is stupid and weird.

No thanks.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked