Should this one note joke be put to rest?
Yes, it gave me a chuckle but only when Yahtzee said it
36.5% (163)
36.5% (163)
Yes, it sounds stupid and makes me think badly of anyone using it
18.6% (83)
18.6% (83)
No, Yahtzee said it and he's funny so saying it makes me funny
4.7% (21)
4.7% (21)
No, I like it
39.6% (177)
39.6% (177)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Spunkgargleweewee

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I never found the term funny. If you don't care for military shooters, that's fine. But using that term to describe them doesn't make you cool, edgy, or funny. It just comes off as stupid and annoying.

Childish name-calling aside the "Modern military shooter" genre does need to be separated from the "real shooter" genre.
And hell? Why not give it a title that adequately reflects the maturity of people who like those kind of games?

It could be more streamlined, like everybody knows what you mean when you say Roll Playing Game (Like Mass Effect!) NO! Fine all the genera titles are clunky and unspecific so I vote to leave it Supnkgargleweewee.

I like this term because I like First Person Shooters but hate Spunkgargleweewee. This term helps differentiate between the two.

Mikeyfell:
Childish name-calling aside the "Modern military shooter" genre does need to be separated from the "real shooter" genre.

It doesn't refer to modern military shooters. Arma 2, for example, isn't Spunkgargleweewee. It doesn't hold your hand from cutscene to cutscene to QTE.

Mikeyfell:
And hell? Why not give it a title that adequately reflects the maturity of people who like those kind of games?

Yep I liked Battlefield 3 and Black Ops 2, guess I'm shit, gonna go drink me some YEAGER BROS, FUCK YEA AMERICA /sarcasm

OT: Its a term used by people who subscribe to the "people who like things I dislike are inferior to me" school of though and that annoys me, but the Escapist tends to have an over abundance of those people especially on the topic of shooters so the term isn't going anywhere unless they come up with a even more condescending way of saying it.

88chaz88:
You know what's worse than "spunkgargleweewee"? Entire threads dedicated to complaining about the phrase.

And even worse than that? People who walk in to a topic they're not forced to enter, complain about the existence of said topic, and contribute nothing. And every topic has one. Pehaps a new term to describe these people is necessary.

Deadweightcynicbuttholes.

OT: The shock factor made it mildly funny the first time Yahtzee said it, but imo it's up there with "pedophile burglar" in the list of terms that shouldn't ever catch on. That said, I can't be bothered to care if someone else uses it. No respect lost, but none gained either.

Subscriptism:
It should definitely be kept because it is perfect for describing those types of games. They are the jersey shore of the gaming world and need to identified as such.

I disagree. I think Zynga games are the Jersey Shore of the gaming world. Modern Military FPS's are more like high budget Hollywood 'splosion fests. Good for some mindless entertainment, but that's as far as they go.

Anyways, I really don't care. I see the term as slang for MMFPS's. If people want to use it, fine.

Though I am seeing a bit of a forced meme status. On the Escapist, that is.

Kirov Reporting:
This term comes up really quite a lot around here, and quite honestly, I think it's puerile and foolish in the least entertaining way.

Yahtzee says a lot of funny and a lot of less-funny things, so how has this throwaway term been appropriated above all else, and seemingly parroted every time someone seeks to validate their dislike of a game style by invoking the apparently sacrosanct word of Croshaw?

Does the use of this term annoy you also, Escapists, or should I get back in my box?

You must be a blast to have around.

Nah, I get it. It's dirty and stupid. But, way I see it, sometimes you need that in comedy. You can't only enjoy witty, clever and sophisticated comedy' sometimes you need to enjoy something a 2 year old would say. As for using it in conversation, though, I see what you mean. It loses that immature, silly joke quality when people start using it in a conversation.

I like the word, though.

Twilight_guy:

Pat8u:

Twilight_guy:
The use of the term annoys me. It causes the same sensation that using the term 'ass creed' does for me. I instantly loss any respect for the person, see them as the kind of Yahtzee zealots that get banned on his video's every week and ignore them completely.

Ass creed is simply a shortening of Assassins creed or at least thats what I use it for so why does the use of this term annoy you (Also Assassin is tedious to spell)

Because it only become a thing after Yahtzee used it and I've only ever ever seen it used on this site. In addition, a proper shortening of the game is not to remove a few syllables but to using an acronym, such as AC 2, AC 3, AC:R etc. or to use a certain key word in place of the name, such as Creed: Revolutions, Creed 3. That's how ever other game in existence has it's named shortened. An usual name abbreviation combined with its tendency to only be used here and its chronological correlation to Yahtzee heavily implies Yahtzee drones. What's more is that Yahtzee drones don't know they are Yahtzee drones due to their own delusions and wouldn't even recognize their irrational behavior. Watch yourself.

Ah I see THe thing is I didn't even know yahtzee said it, I say it because I really can't spell Assassin

Kirov Reporting:
This term comes up really quite a lot around here...

I just typed "Spunkgargleweewee" into YouTube. I got a lot of results. On Google? Plenty more. And not just Escapist links, either.

Yes, it didn't even get a chuckle out of me when yahtzee said it and it's only gotten increasingly more cringe worthy with time.

I like it.

Why? Because most of these modern shooters (with the possible exception of CoD due to it actually being made well) are just the companies involved jizzing onto the gamers and hoping to get money from them.

That said, not all modern shooters are spunkgargleweewee. If it shows a concerted effort to do something special to distance itself from just being another CoD clone, then it's not spunkgargleweewee IMO. The Spunkgargleweewee name is reserved only for games that are made with the express and singular purpose of cashing in on CoD's fanbase because it sells well and they don't even need to put much effort into the design of it because most players of the genre don't care if it's a badly designed roller coaster and not much of a game.

I haven't even noticed it that much. It doesn't bother me at all and I didn't think it would other people until I saw this thread.

The amount of people here who seem to think that you need to be a horrible person to enjoy Modern Military Shooters serves as yet another indictment of the Escapist community.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked