28% (176)
28% (176)
Safety Razor
28.8% (181)
28.8% (181)
Cut-throat/straight edge razor
5.3% (33)
5.3% (33)
Gillete Mach 500 cold fusion reactor, 100 bladed razor for the smoothest shave yet!
21.2% (133)
21.2% (133)
I get my barber to do it
0.2% (1)
0.2% (1)
I don't
10% (63)
10% (63)
Not hairy enough to shave
1.3% (8)
1.3% (8)
Other
4.8% (30)
4.8% (30)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Men! How do you shave your face?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I use an electric razor, but I really want to learn to use a straight edged razor

I use an electric trimmer on my 'beard' (I like it at around 1-2mm stubble) but for my neck and cheeks I use one of these:

I classify it as a 'safety razor' because even though it's not disposable it doesn't have vibration control and all that bullshit.

Dimitriov:

Quaxar:
Pinnacle of shaving technology? I don't believe you even know what you're talking about, I'd cut my throat within days with one of those "classic" things.

RTSnab:
Would you believe I never actually looked up an actual razor, since I'm pretty sure I'd like it far more than the fucking BULLSHIT safety razors that dull after 2 uses.

I don't know what you do with those, I keep the same blade for about half to a full year...

Then your facial hair must be as soft as the hairs on a newborn baby! O_o

Those things start getting dull halfway THROUGH a shave sometimes. I grant you that I have very coarse facial hair, but still.

I dunno. Granted, after a few months it starts to slowly become more ripping than cutting and when I finally change blades it's always a surprise how smooth it can cut but overall I honestly don't have many problems. Then again, I treat it very carefully and don't use any kind of shaving cream so possibly there's something to that.

Just a cheap cartridge razor. I'm actually thinking about switching to a real razor though

Genocidicles:
What purpose does five blades serve, other than to get stubble stuck between them?!

I can't use the Fusion or Quattro because I cut myself with it because it is too big, but I also can't use anything with two blades or less for the same reason.

I use the Mach 3 Turbo because the blades last quite a bit longer than other disposables, and are much easier to use, as well as providing the closest shave of any razor I have ever used. (When the turbo came out, the quality of the blades on the plain Mach 3 went down, so I use the Mach 3 Turbo blades on the Mach 3 handle I bought when I was 18, ten years ago now.)

FIRE LIKE A MAN

I use a Fusion, or if ones around, a Venus. Venus is the best safety type razor there is. My old roommate Jonathan used to use one(and I'll admit, I razzed him about it), and one day I didn't have any blades for mine. He threw me one of his spare blades(they come in a pod, so you can throw and catch them) and, damn if it wasn't the closest, least irritating shave I' d ever had.

It depends. If i'm shaving at my house, on my own, i use an electric trimmer, because im lazy and my stubble is invisible

If i'm at a convention, with people I dont know, I use a knife, to scare people. Single-blades ARE the best shave in the world

I use an electric razor when I'm in a hurry and for my chin, currently I use a five-blade for the rest. I am thinking of switching to a cut-throat if I find a good one though.

Safety razor.

I don't have steady hands, and like my blood inside me.

I have a Gillete Mach 3 that I usually use when I need to shave.

Yes, I do realize that is a very old "model" of razors.

What is shaving?

In all seriousness I've yet to actually use a razor electric or otherwise. When I've needed to get rid of the extra hair off of my face I just used a small detail trimmer. Although I believe that that is broken now so I guess I'll have to start using a razor.

smearyllama:
Not.

Seriously. I haven't shaved since November, and my face is covered in a majestic beard that apparently makes me look two to four years older than I am.
When I do shave, I just use an electric razor. It hurts, but it's easier than anything else, though the cleanup is messy if you don't do it over a garbage can or something.

I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't shaved since November and my face is turning into beard. I was gifted a electric razor for Christmas, so I decided to try it out on a little bit of neck beard. It was unpleasant.

OT: I've always used safety razors, but I'd like to get a shave with a straight edge just to know how it feels.

Safety.. I have an electric but I use it basically just for precise trimming when my goatee needs a once over. I just can't be bothered to take any real care or time when doing my regular daily/bidaily shave, so using an actual straight razor just isn't something I'm interested in.

Two words Combine Harvester, just a few passes and you start to see a face!

My beard, which when typo'd into bears is a pretty accurate piece of terminology, however normally I combine harvest that shit into a doorknocker style goatee/mustache combo, that "Combined" with a clean shaven dome is my best look, and I tend to keep it that way, unless I'm job hunting, 'cuz looking like a skinhead doesn't tend to yield a lot of customer service jobs, and that's where I have the most experience...

I use almost exactly the same Gilette razor in the OP's picture, it's smoother than the hack job I have to do with a cheap one. Honestly don't trust myself with an old school razor, and the electric ones don't even dent my facial hair because it comes in too coarse and thick. It's been suggested I'd basically have to do a normal shave with a razor each morning just to get my mighty stubble into a condition the electric one can deal with, and at that point why bother? I've already had my damn shave.

Infrequently and patchily, trying to cut myself as little as possible.

Genocidicles:

I really don't see why shaving technology has advanced to this:

The least number of blades per razor I can even FIND in my local shop is 3-blades. And it's not so expensive so I buy them. Like hell I'm going to buy some single-blade razors off the internet. That's just crossing some sort of line.

And I can't help but glance over at the ladies branded leg razors, where to spite the lovely pink and baby-blue colour scheme they similarly have a huge number of blades and pointless extras. I mean what kind of woman needs a vibrating handle? I can't imagine anything more useless, no woman could possibly ever see anything like that was worthwhile...

Though I do have a proper electric razor, I stick to using the sideburn/beard trimmer that attaches to a hair clipper. Personally I hate really close shaves, and being blonde and thus having shit facial hair, a trimmer is the only device that keeps a nice stubble. Plus, its guaranteed to never cut you, or leave any irritation marks, so it's a win win.

Unless your answer is 'with a sharpened hedgehogs quills while riding a bear' then you're not manly enough for me.

At home I'll use the Mach Five Bazillion with lotion, foam and crap. But when I go travelling and stuff I just take an old dual blader and shave with water.

It's the only way to get past Airport Security these days.

A goddam zweihander.
Gotta have weight in that swing if I am to trim the mighty facial hair also known as 'DA FUKKIN BEARD'

captcha: grand slam
No, that's for something else captcha.

Cutthroat razor along with kit from Bluebeards Revenge - best shave ever!

Charli:
Unless your answer is 'with a sharpened hedgehogs quills while riding a bear' then you're not manly enough for me.

How bout:
"With a Machete, forged on my manly chest, in a fiery volcano, from a meteor I caught with my teeth, with a living bear for a grip?"

I still recommend going with a Double Edge safety razor, if you care to learn how to shave with it properly. You run some risk of slicing your face open, but less than a cut throat razor, and the blade replacements are like $0.18 -- $0.50 USD instead of $4.00 USD.

Downside: I always suspect that the cashier thinks I'm using them to be emo or cut lines of cocaine, since no one is really using these things to shave any more.

Q: How do you shave your face?
A: Rarely and with great reluctance. My beard is the source of my many superpowers. I only trim it down so as to contain the cosmic power held within.

Wow I'm very surprised to see the amount of safety razor love here: I woulda thought it'd be 80% electric and gilette style razors. There's some hope for manhood yet :P

How do I shave? Poorly and, not very often. In all honesty, I have a little smattering of bum-fluff on my chin and on the sides of my upper-lip (kind of like a reverse Hitler) and, counting the few strands of hair on my left cheek and those two on my throat I just don't really have enough hair or enough growth to really justify shaving more than once every...I dunno, 3 to 5 weeks if that. When I do shave though I have an electric razor which gets the job done. I don't know about brand or blades or anything it's just a thing that erases the hair from my face.

I stick to a safety razor, but that's more because electric razors destroy my face/neck, and I haven't yet sunk the time and energy into a straight razor (which I'd love to do).

Also, I'm sure that it's been mentioned, but Gillette razors are they way they are because of marketing. I heard once that, when you pay $20 for a Gillette Mach 5 Whatever, $19 go to celebrity sponsorship/marketing efforts. One of the ways to make your blade appear better and to make the celebrity tie-in seem more "extreme" or whatever is to add on impressive sounding words for the same hunk of plastic and metal you get when you buy a bag of disposables from your local drug store.

Of course, personally, I do find that there's different quality in safety blades, so for you young shavers out there, do try and find a solid blade - but you definitely don't need the GILLETTE XTREME CLOSE SHAVE 9 BILLION.

I use a cut throat razor but I use scissors to keep my goatee in check

I use an electric razor.

But only because it's really easy.

I use a couple of electric razors to trim out the much heavier and thicker hair. I then take a shower to get my face moist and smooth in order to take a normal razor with lather and just smooth out my face.

I punch a glass window and then grab shards of glass, which I slide across my face to remove any hair...

Jarlaxl:
I stick to a safety razor, but that's more because electric razors destroy my face/neck, and I haven't yet sunk the time and energy into a straight razor (which I'd love to do).

Also, I'm sure that it's been mentioned, but Gillette razors are they way they are because of marketing. I heard once that, when you pay $20 for a Gillette Mach 5 Whatever, $19 go to celebrity sponsorship/marketing efforts. One of the ways to make your blade appear better and to make the celebrity tie-in seem more "extreme" or whatever is to add on impressive sounding words for the same hunk of plastic and metal you get when you buy a bag of disposables from your local drug store.

Of course, personally, I do find that there's different quality in safety blades, so for you young shavers out there, do try and find a solid blade - but you definitely don't need the GILLETTE XTREME CLOSE SHAVE 9 BILLION.

I would advise young shavers to try the Wilkinson Protector 3d.
It's cheap, the replacement blades are cheap and widely available and it has a built in set of wires that will prevent you from cutting yourself.
Also, there are swords on it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked