Why The Empire (WH Fantasy) > The Imperium (WH 40k) HUMOROUS ONLY

Pages PREV 1 2

Rawne1980:
I take your hat and raise you....

I take your Dread Knight and raise you...

An Empire Ogre having learned 'civilized' ways.

He eats his victims with knife and fork.

GunsmithKitten:
ALL TOO IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: This is for good natured fanboy/fangirl banter and humorous debate. This is not to criticize people's tastes. Yes, true, I'm more inclined to Fantasy, but I have no problem with anyone who enjoys 40k (heck, there are parts of 40k I also love), but again, this is mainly for funsies. Don't be so srs bizness (and it's rare you'll hear me say that)

Anyway, yes. The Empire of the Old World is a much better, much more competently run place than it's equivalent in the Imperium, and much nicer to live in. Heck, even the bad guys are more competent down on that little world. Why do I say this?

Leaders: The God Emporer, while a badass in his day, still lingers in rulership as a husk that talks to himself, eats psychics, and craps while holding a door shut. That's about it. Karl Franz, as well as most of the Emperors before him (the Empire does not keep it's rulers on artificial life support as vegetables, they know when to change out...usually...) are actually expected to, you know, LEAD THEIR PEOPLE and are even willing to take to the field and fight.

Stability: The God Emporer dies, as I understand it, it's Game Over. The Eye opens, and Old Testament shit starts to happen. Pretty fragile. The Empire, however, has literally survived thousand year stretches with no Emporer (and along the way, beaten back several invasions).

Religion: Tell one off color joke in the Imperium about the Emporer, and your entire planet can get burned down if word reaches one of many wrong people. The Empire, while favoring the Cult of Sigmar, not only allows the worship of other Gods but is willing to honor their places in people's lives. Ar-Ulric's temple has a vote in the Electoral Council, every mosoleum in the cities is dedicated to Moor, and the northern lands worship Taal without troubles from the Witchhunters. Incidently, the Witchfynder General in the Empire has an actual sane job, namely seeking out rogue magic practioners. He's not allowed to exterminate an entire city just because he spilled his ice cream on the sidewalk and declared it heresy.

Technology: Oh good gravy...in spite of all their advances, all the Imperium knows how to do is recycle, recycle, recycle. You even mention that some new stuff would be better than the old crap, and it's heresy-ville for you, Chaos-filth. Nuln, on the other hand, is coming up with new and wacky shit every month. True, it leans towards the "wacky' part a little too often (Bomb carrying pigeons! BRILLIANT!), but at least when they do some up with neat things like repeating handguns and explosive cannon shells, they aren't struck down for huring the poor wittle divine machine's feewings. Also, Empire handgunners and cannoneers don't have to pray and coax their weapons into working.

Treatment of Magic/Psychics: In the Imperium, if you're a psychic, you get rounded up, thrown into a ship with tech that makes you more emo than a clone army of Morriseys, and then you get sent to Holy Terra where you get placed before the Emporer's presence. If that doesn't kill you, which it probably will, it will likely make you incurably insane. If somehow it didnt' do that, you get to live the rest of your life as a blind telephone operator. Woo. Hoo.
In the Empire, true, you get told that you can go to [slash]Hogwarts[/slash] one of the colleges of magic and take a reasonably well compensated job as a battle wizard, or die. Again, forced, but hey, I'll take that over being a blind switchboard operator anyday.

More to come as I think of them...

OT: I do prefer the fantasy races to the 40k ones myself especially the Elves compared to the Eldar. The Eldar have nothing on the High/Wood Elves.

Rawne1980:

Setch Dreskar:
The Empire has competent members of the "Inquisition" who not only have an awesome name but two awesome names. The Witch Hunters (Witch Finders) also known as the Knights Templar of Sigmar

*With Hunter image snip*

Its ALLLLLL about the hat baby~

I take your hat and raise you....

*Dreadknight snip*

GunsmithKitten:

Anyway, yes. The Empire of the Old World is a much better, much more competently run place than it's equivalent in the Imperium, and much nicer to live in. Heck, even the bad guys are more competent down on that little world. Why do I say this?

Somalia is a nicer place to live than the Imperium. At least in Somalia you will just get shot and killed, unlike being pulled through your own urethra into a literal hell, you beings that live off sadomasochism play with you for nigh-on eternity.

Setch Dreskar:
The Empire has competent members of the "Inquisition" who not only have an awesome name but two awesome names. The Witch Hunters (Witch Finders) also known as the Knights Templar of Sigmar

Hell, you barely need witch hunters when you have Ludwig Schwartzhelm. Motherfucker has ended Elector Count territory wars just by scowling at the two punks wanting to brawl, and took out an entire chaos cult smack dab in the middle of the Von Raukov castle BY HIMSELF.

How many people does the Inquisition send to stop a chaos cult? AFTER the usual band of Dark Heresy-PC's get wiped out by it?

Hagi:

An Empire Ogre having learned 'civilized' ways.

He eats his victims with knife and fork.

Oh my. There are tailors in Averland weeping into their brightly colored hats at such a grotesque sight....

You forget two things that make WH-40K better.

Space Wolves!!! Fracking space vikings!!! Drinking, pillaging and having fun all while wagging the big one in Rowboat Girlyman's face.

And this man

Commissar Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!
The universes luckiest man who ever, or will ever live. This is the guy you want to be fighting with. You know, cause he's one of the few officer types who actually cares about you. Even if it's just for his own skin, but still, you can't complain.
The only man to fight Sly Marbo and live. He out foxed him and got away
Badass is defined after him.
Now dead but still on active duty. Don't see the Emperor coming back so many times do you?
Yeh, just look at him for awhile now. Appreciate all he did and what he left behind.

All of your arguements are invalid.

All prior discussion perpetuating the supposed inferiority of the Imperium is herby deemed heretical under Inquisitiorial decree, and is to be sealed and reclassified under casefile 7981alpha-epsilon/54.856sigma-gamma by the Ordo Hereticus.

Initiating Exterminatus.

The Emperor Protects.

My thought is that Warhammer is inherently stupid. The key is that it is GLORIOUSLY stupid. It's like you take a psychotic 10 year old boys fevered dreams of chaos and death, and instead of him growing OUT of that, he merely HONES that insanity to a razor edge. This is the outlet for the wackiest shit the human brain can manage. Morality, believably, heroics, philosophies, rationality and everything else are ruthlessly hacked away if it makes room for another chainsaw. 40k embraces this philosophy better, utilizing the most ridiculous extremes it can manage without shame. And that's why I like it better. It embraces the sheer catharsis better.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked