have you ever changed your opinion?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

apparently we are hard wired to defend our opinions even if we are overwhelmingly convinced we are wrong so easy question:
have you ever been in the middle of a debate and suddenly realized you were wrong and admitted so to the other person?

Yes, numerous times.
Most of my arguments are conjecture, and how I perceive things will turn out, of course I use some sources and such to back up my arguments but at the end of the day I'm writing on a forum, not a thesis, so I won't be spending hours correcting, proof-reading, backing up sources, checking for consistency and all that jazz.

Being wrong is inevitable, I just admit to it and then run away quietly for a few days before posting again.

Yes. A number of times. It really isn't that hard.

Revnak:
Yes. A number of times. It really isn't that hard.

Hear hear. Most often I change my opinion while typing something up. I realize that what I'm saying doesn't make as much sense as I thought it to be.

Yes, I am not one to fool myself into thinking I am right in the face of more correct evidence/ideals that contradict my own.

Yep.
I was religious, and debated many a person on why they were going to hell or whatever.

But, now, I'm NOT religious and I feel REALLY silly and bad and stupid for all those times I raged.

Yep. I no longer think that PC gamers are being petty when they complain about getting shitty ports.

My religious beliefs are also constantly changing as I learn more about myself and the world. I find it to be a healthy and entertaining outlook on spirituality.

Yes,

BUT,

On online-forums like these, I find it hard to be convinced of someone else's viewpoint.
I can't think of examples where I have changed my opinion whilst on the escapist forums, but I have in real life discussions.

Yes a few times althought it usually something I defend in had fail (me and my mate came up our own theories in what was going on in the last season of LOST) or if the other opposing person had make a really good statement/ comment in the debate/ arguement that I cannot see the flaw or opposing opinions against it (someone convince me that those MLP G1 fans aren't just hated toward brony but rather they were passionate toward G1 while brony are like hipster in a way).

somtimes I wonder if I lack conviction in my opinions....like I'm too influenced by that others think (like when I playes ME3 for the firt time I wa blown away but I could get "what would the escapist think?" out of my head..thanks guys)

I have however changed my mind ins ome regards..that the things I like are not perfect and if somone bashes them THATS OK

SimpleThunda':
Yes,

BUT,

On online-forums like these, I find it hard to be convinced of someone else's viewpoint.
I can't think of examples where I have changed my opinion whilst on the escapist forums, but I have in real life discussions.

that there is the point i am trying to make. i don't want to turn this into a gun or religion debate or whatever but what are the chances we will ever hear someone say something like "good point. the statistics are there i change my mind"

When debating historiography/theses/methodology; quite often.
When discussing politics/religion: never.

I guess so, i went from being an Atheist to an Agnostic for various reasons which i won't discuss here don't want it descending into religeon/gun thread etc.

But yeah i can change my opinion on things but i come to my own conclusions it's rare for me to change my opinion mid conversation, i have far to much pride/stubbornness to back down from an argument even :P

Yes, sometimes I'm just wrong, if I'm given indisputable evidence of that, of course I'll change my opinion.

Sometimes I'll feel really strongly about something and it becomes much more difficult to sway me, but even then, it's still possible. Especially on topics where I'm far from an expert (politics). It might take some time though.

Nope, never. My opinions have been unchanging since birth.

Hahaha. Seriously, though, yes - I've actually found that many of my best and most important experiences have happened from discovering that my opinions were wrong. Most notable example was when I used to be a colossal homophobe (and "phobe" really is the right word there), racist and bigot to discovering that I was gay. Huge turnaround on a lot of issues, I'm a lot less judgemental, a lot more accepting, and I would say, a far better person.

Nope.
I am always right even when I am wrong because when I'm wrong I make it right.
Welcome to my mind.

I don't really see how people couldn't have changed their opinion on something at least once.

yes I do When I receive new data I may change my view But some things I will never change on

Yes, whenever someone convinces me I'm wrong I change my opinion.

All the fucking time. We live and learn.
it's actually pretty easy, if you consider that what makes you form a certain opinion is only shaped by your (very limited) own experiences, so the second somebody can show you an aspect you didn't know before, you're pretty much bound to revise your opinion.

No, never. I'm a rational atheist person, my opinions aren't based on emotion or empiricism. My worldview is built on pure reason, and it's fully autochthonous.

lechat:
apparently we are hard wired to defend our opinions even if we are overwhelmingly convinced we are wrong so easy question:
have you ever been in the middle of a debate and suddenly realized you were wrong and admitted so to the other person?

Yes because I like to think Im an intelligent, reasonable human being. Where did you read that we are hard wired to defend our opinions even when overwhelmingly wrong? Thats a load of nonsense, unless you were at the time reading the definition for "stubborn" in the dictionary or something!

lechat:

have you ever been in the middle of a debate and suddenly realized you were wrong

That's not exactly "changing your opinion". Pure opinion implies being convinced otherwise. And yes, of course. But as for admitting I was misinformed or had the wrong knowledge, well, obviously. It'd be weird if I haven't.

No.

wait...yes

Yep.

I used to be uber-religious and uber-patriotic. Now? Not so much of either. I haven't swung the other way, like a lot of people do, though. I see the merits of both Christianity and America, but I also see a lot of their flaws and ways in which they can do better.

They're not horrible, but they can be a whole hell of a lot better than they are.

Edit: Next time I should read the OP.

So, have I ever changed my mind in the middle of an debate? Yes, but infrequently. I think pretty much every time I have it was because the other person brought up a point or argument that I had never considered before, which forced me to reevaluated my position.

Yes, many times. I'm not an arrogant prick who is convinced of his own omniscience.

Sure, if I'm given enough credible data to warrant a change of opinions.
For example, I always perceived the Mass Effect trilogy to be rather overrated.
I was dead wrong. It's AWESOME.

On the flip side, I'm often right about most things related to gaming.
For instance, I foresaw, based on the evidence shown up to its release, that Assassin's Creed 3 was going to disappoint.
Lo and behold, I was proven right.

According to some studies I read a while ago, a person changes the majority of his opinions and his worldview every 7-8 years on average.
Don't know how accurate it is but looking back at myself from 8 years ago, I can say that there's definitely some truth in that.

I don't remember ever suddenly realising I was wrong during a debate.

However, gradually coming to realise I was wrong, lots of times.

Tanis:
Yep.
I was religious, and debated many a person on why they were going to hell or whatever.

But, now, I'm NOT religious and I feel REALLY silly and bad and stupid for all those times I raged.

Welcome to the Dark Sensible side :3

I myself went to a catholic primary school, and that made me as Atheist as you could possibly get. xD

I usually don't debate things if I don't have a strong opinion on the subject. I have no problem being wrong though, if you can prove it. A lot of my arguments come from gut-feelings that are supported by circumstantial observations, but that doesn't mean I won't listen. Countering with the opposite feelings as an argument won't be enough to sway me though. I know everyone has their exceptions to the rules I may have observed, and I'm not going to change my opinion because one person knew a guy who knew a guy that made my assertion wrong.

Often. I once argued that cyclists were a danger to pedestrians on the footpaths. I quickly realised how much less of a danger they are than cars are to them. More often it's a slow and painful process though.

Yes, but not on forums like these unless my point is just outright wrong. Then there will be moments where I stand by my opinion but then others just want to knock it down and replace my thoughts with their own, it comes off as really arrogant and I tend to take a break from the site for a couple of days, as anger doesn't necessarily do me any good with my numerous heart and mental conditions. I actually rectified this by turning off the Quote Post Notification in the settings and since then it has made my time here alot happier, since I am not sweating over every dude who decides they don't like what I have to say. Oh sure they could reply to me if they wanted, but chances are I am not even going to read it. You would be more likely to change my opinion of something if I actually knew you, cause then I could more easily determine whether you are a person I should be actually listening and learning from.

Yes I have, but it's genuinely hard and rarely happens without conscious effort. Particularly in forums I've seen topics being debated for 8+ years now and normally you see each person become more entrenched in their own opinions than changing to reflect others.

A big part of why I've sometimes changed my opinions is, despite being confrontational, I also have a fear of confrontations and it's incredible just how much backing down in an argument engenders good will on the other side. Someone did it to me first, we were having a flaming argument on politics and I was call him a blood sucking tory vampire etc and suddenly he complimented me on the insults and said he'd enjoyed them and thought they were pretty clever and wham, suddenly we were both doing our best to find every possible part of our opinion that we could compromise on.

And the technique has been effective ever since. It's only not worked once or twice (and normally you have to get reasonably het up before you cue it in) and it's oddly frustrating when it doesn't. Wait a minute, I changed my opinion, you should love me and be looking for compromises, whats going wrong?

If you're looking for a way to/believe you can make fully rational decisions based on the genuine merit of the situation though, it's impossible/you're probably wrong with a very high degree of certainty. Our brains aren't wired for rational arguments and thinking that you're arguing perfectly rationally is exactly the sort of thing it tricks you into thinking. Its very hard to see it in yourself, but its very easy to see it in other people. Everyone can see that the Creationist absolutely certain the Big Bang didn't occur because 'thats like put a load of C4 in a junkyard and expecting to get an Apache Attack Helicopter' we can all see that he thinks hes being rational, but really isn't. When you're absolutely certain that there's no form of God, it's harder to spot that as an emotional belief.

I'm pretty sure the studies show that even when you're aware that you can't make fully rational decisions it doesn't actually help. You can try to draw up objective experiments, but unless the subject matter is clearly defined and objective itself, you#re going to find that you're drawing up and interpreting the results to suit your premise in subtle ways.

Maybe knowing that its natural to be entrenched in an opinion and natural to believe your opinion is rational helps when dealing with other people at least

lechat:

In my experience there are very few things that humans are truly "hard wired" to do, and many people who claim otherwise do so with the flimsiest of evidence.

Yes, I've changed my opinion about many topics. Hell, watching the way guys behave on this forum basically convinced me that male privilege was a real thing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked