Burned Alive During 18th Birthday

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

SlaveNumber23:

krazykidd:
It's a prank gone wrong . An accident if you will .

Come on, according to the news story the guy and his buddies crashed this poor autistic kid's 18th birthday, made him strip naked, wrote all kinds of homophobic crap all over his body and then held a lighter to his groin, not to mention the piece of shit fled like a coward instead of trying to help when he realized what he'd done.

Sure they might have never intended to kill or harm him but in my eyes that is WAY too far for a prank and this piece of shit deserves to burn in hell, or at least be imprisoned for significantly longer than 3.5 years.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this matter 200%. No matter whether he intended to kill him or not, he certainly intended to both physically and emotionally harm that poor boy. This wasn't just schoolyard bullying, this was intented to be grievous physical harm at the least. And it ended up killing the victim.

As far as I'm concerned, the guy is a twisted, disgusting murderer and deserves nothing less than a life sentence. A sick fuck like that is only going to come out of prison ever more twisted than when he entered. And the poor family of the victim are going to have to know that the man that tortured and killed their son will be out on the streets again in less than four years.

This is a grievous miscarriage of justice and it makes me sick to the stomach that I have a share in the same gene pool that he oozed his way out of.

soren7550:
This piece of shit gets three years for setting a kid on fire, killing him, and those two football shitheads only get a year in juvie after gang raping that girl and bragging about it? What the fuck is up with the criminal justice system?

DrunkenMonkey:
Just to clarify, the U.S. prison system's primary goal is not rehabilitation, it's primary goal is to keep people incarcerated and out of the public. It should be rehabilitation but it's not, because, 3.5 years is just enough time for the kid to ruin his life and fall into the crimonogenic effect, where the odds are that he will be back to prison will be high enough.

It should be remembered that the US gained independance from British rule some 250 ish years ago, and is now a separate country with it's own legal system.

lSHaDoW-FoXl:
In fact, here's what a prank is. A prank is covering someone in tar and chicken feathers. Not fire and oil. Seriously.

Back when "tar" was basically glue, yes. Nowdays tarring and feathering involves hot molten asphalt.

Well that guy is lucky he didn't do this to someone close to me or in my family. Yes, 3.5 years is a long time, but it would be a long time for ME to wait for HIM to come out so I can resolve our misunderstanding, Saw-style.

DrunkenMonkey:

SecretNegative:
If he set another guy on fire adn got 3,5 years and the minimum for manslaughter is five years...what?

I really can't tell if 3.5 years is long enough, since I've never been to a prison in my whole life, or even met a criminal (or atleast, someone who said they were a criminal).

Prison is about rehabilitation, and if he can rehabilitate in 3.5 years, then it's long enough.

Just to clarify, the U.S. prison system's primary goal is not rehabilitation, it's primary goal is to keep people incarcerated and out of the public. It should be rehabilitation but it's not, because, 3.5 years is just enough time for the kid to ruin his life and fall into the crimonogenic effect, where the odds are that he will be back to prison will be high enough.

This is the problem i have with our legal system. If he had a life sentance (Which he deserves, for taking somebody elses) He's not going to back to prison because he's staying in there. Sure, like you said if he's released chances are he is going to end up back in there, but how? Through being convicted for petty theft, or another hate related crime?

For the record, i'm all for the americans version of 'life'. Isn't it only 25-30 years over here? I remember seeing something about a guy that killed 3 people in the states and racked up 500 years.

latiasracer:

DrunkenMonkey:

SecretNegative:
If he set another guy on fire adn got 3,5 years and the minimum for manslaughter is five years...what?

I really can't tell if 3.5 years is long enough, since I've never been to a prison in my whole life, or even met a criminal (or atleast, someone who said they were a criminal).

Prison is about rehabilitation, and if he can rehabilitate in 3.5 years, then it's long enough.

This is the problem i have with our legal system. If he had a life sentance (Which he deserves, for taking somebody elses) He's not going to back to prison because he's staying in there. Sure, like you said if he's released chances are he is going to end up back in there, but how? Through being convicted for petty theft, or another hate related crime?

For the record, i'm all for the americans version of 'life'. Isn't it only 25-30 years over here? I remember seeing something about a guy that killed 3 people in the states and racked up 500 years.

I'm not sure about the UK system so don't trust me on this. But I know over here in Sweden "life" is actually "prison for an undeterminate time" that can after ten years be made determined. Making most life sentences actually around 25-30 years. Perhaps the UK uses a similar system seeing as we are probably quite similar in many things?

But I agree with your view that this guy should have faced a life sentence or similar. I'm going to assume that this isn't a prank gone wrong as much as downright bullying gone wrong. Which means this probably was not the first encounter these two young men had. Which chalks it up to bullying and then a very gruesome murder, bordering on torture. Because yes, you should know that covering someone in oil and then setting them on fire will kill them. Choosing to do it anyway means murder, not manslaughter.

Why is everything just slightly more psychotic when it involves messages written in lipstick?

Paradoxrifts:
Why is everything just slightly more psychotic when it involves messages written in lipstick?

I'm not sure, but it seems so with me too.

I feel sorry for the family, and the poor kid. As for the twisted person that did it, 3.5 years isn't long enough, not for something as sadistic as that was.

Zachary Amaranth:

krazykidd:

Also , while iv'e never been to prison , 3 years is a long time . People don't seem to realise that .

3 years is a long time. It's tough to say if that's a sufficient time, however.

Plus, as there's a lot of Americans on this site, you'll see a lot of punishment fetishists.

Nah because a few years in prison is totally cool for a hate crime and killing.

You know, you're not helping anyone by posting shock news from THE SUN on a GAMING FORUM.

krazykidd:

SecretNegative:

Yeah but , rehabilitation from what? It's a prank gone wrong . An accident if you will . You know teenagers , dumb as bricks . I blame Jackass . Anyways . I think this is fair . It was an accident , but the fact that he fled from the scene , instead of , you know , doing something is punishable by law ( as far as i know ) .

Also , while iv'e never been to prison , 3 years is a long time . People don't seem to realise that .

oh yes, hah hah hah! They bundled into his house, made him strip naked, wrote "Gay Boy" on his head in lipstick, covered him in oil and then ignited him, hi-larious. I'm not quite sure which part of that is supposed to be funny or count as a prank. That's being a massive sick cunt involving something that was a hate crime assault.

Okay they might not have wanted to /kill/ him, but that's quite beyond the realms of a prank. Should be getting a proper murder sentence as far as I'm concerned. Manslaughter charges should apply only if you had no malicious intend in the first place, like accidently running someone over. (Even then I feel going to prison is unfair for /that/ you get your sentence in having go live with it.)

Squiddles:
-snip-

It's up on the BBC site now, here's the link just so you can stick it in the OP, otherwise people are just gonna give you flak for using the sun ><

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-21887535

Akratus:
You know, you're not helping anyone by posting shock news from THE SUN on a GAMING FORUM.

I understand where your coming from but as a member of the LGBT community I just felt that this story should be out there and being read by, maybe not like minded people, but possibly a more diverse range of different people to see what they also think since I know what I think about this event.

As a gamer if you find or just happen to stumble across something game related that you have a strong personal opinion about, do you just move on or do you share it with a few others to see what they also think of the event? I'm not saying you do or don't do this, but just trying to find something to compare from my perspective.

Yes I know The Sun isn't a well liked source, but I also put a link to The Mirror and if I remember correctly someone has posted something from The BBC on the event.

I'm not trying to help anyone, is there anything that I could do that would be deemed helpful to any of those effected from the event? Aside from bringing a little attention to what happened to this person, and maybe a place in peoples minds wishing him peace?

Sorry if this is outside of what's aloud on the Off Topic Discussion section, but I kept it away from the Gaming Discussion forum such as if I wanted to talk about Religion I would have put it in the Religion and Politics Discussion.

Not trying to start anything, I was just interested in peoples opinions is all. Sorry if I've stepped out of place on this site. =/

3.5 years for (allegedly) manslaughter and obstruction of justice when he lied about how it happened?

Had to have had some help in court.

Easton Dark:
3.5 years for (allegedly) manslaughter and obstruction of justice when he lied about how it happened?

One can't help but note that the victim was gay and autistic, and wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Squiddles:

Akratus:

I understand where your coming from but as a member of the LGBT community I just felt that this story should be out there and being read by, maybe not like minded people, but possibly a more diverse range of different people to see what they also think since I know what I think about this event.

As a gamer if you find or just happen to stumble across something game related that you have a strong personal opinion about, do you just move on or do you share it with a few others to see what they also think of the event? I'm not saying you do or don't do this, but just trying to find something to compare from my perspective.

Yes I know The Sun isn't a well liked source, but I also put a link to The Mirror and if I remember correctly someone has posted something from The BBC on the event.

I'm not trying to help anyone, is there anything that I could do that would be deemed helpful to any of those effected from the event? Aside from bringing a little attention to what happened to this person, and maybe a place in peoples minds wishing him peace?

Sorry if this is outside of what's aloud on the Off Topic Discussion section, but I kept it away from the Gaming Discussion forum such as if I wanted to talk about Religion I would have put it in the Religion and Politics Discussion.

Not trying to start anything, I was just interested in peoples opinions is all. Sorry if I've stepped out of place on this site. =/

You have earned the right, to make this thread.

Well done.

thaluikhain:

Easton Dark:

One can't help but note that the victim was gay and autistic, and wonder if that had anything to do with it.

What, you mean he got the lenient sentence because people didn't like the life of the victim?

Wow, I can't get over how biased this article is. Is the Sun always like this? And what the hell is this:

This just makes me angry. Angry, mad, and all it's synonyms.
This is not a prank. You do not CRASH a birthday party, strip someone, write derogatory terms on THEIR BODY *and by the way, the victim being a minority, subjected to hate*, cover him in seriously dangerous material, hold a torch to his crotch then claim it's an accident.

The system is wrong. Plain wrong. The fact that he ran away further adds to it, what's worse?
21 months only. Not even 3.5 years.

Lilani:
I think I'd like to see this from a less sketchy source. While either way this is a terrible thing, it's clear the media is wanting to tell a story and at this point they have no evidence to prove their narrative has any truth to is. I'll admit writing taunts on somebody, covering them in oil, and lighting their crotch on fire seems like a terrible thing to do to someone on their birthday, but stranger things have happened and there's no use ruining two lives because we wanted to be the first ones to vilify this kid.

I'm with you on this one. Unless I was there I can't determine the motives, and that makes all the difference in court. In the US you have to be proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. If he didn't intend to kill the kid then it was manslaughter at most. All things given though I think he probably deserved the full 5 years (of which he would probably serve 2 if he behaved) for the hate speech and running. If there was intent then he deserved a murder charge, but with nobody to prove intent there was no way that would ever have gone the distance in court (provided he had a competent lawyer) and he would have gotten off scott free.

Easton Dark:
What, you mean he got the lenient sentence because people didn't like the life of the victim?

More or less, though they almost certainly wouldn't have consciously decided that. Noticeably small sentences for stuff like this has a habit of happening. The "gay panic" defense isn't quite the same thing, but there seems to be an overlap.

Desert Punk:

Depends on what your end goal is.

There's no evidence that long sentences actually serve as deterrent, nor that they provide any greater form of change on the part of the person involved.

So...What is your desired end goal here? What do you hope to accomplish with a longer sentence here?

Easton Dark:

This is one of the reasons hate crimes tend to exist in the first place.

Pinkamena:
Wow, I can't get over how biased this article is. Is the Sun always like this? And what the hell is this:

Yes I know The Sun more often than not words their news in the most "Grab the readers attention and make them make a split choice in their mind on the matter from the title!", but I also linked The Mirror along side it since I couldn't find that much information on this than those two sites and knew just putting The Sun up wouldn't be the best move. Also now The BBC on the event.

The BBC link thanks to the user elvor0 as of right now if your interested.

Lilani:
I think I'd like to see this from a less sketchy source. While either way this is a terrible thing, it's clear the media is wanting to tell a story and at this point they have no evidence to prove their narrative has any truth to is. I'll admit writing taunts on somebody, covering them in oil, and lighting their crotch on fire seems like a terrible thing to do to someone on their birthday, but stranger things have happened and there's no use ruining two lives because we wanted to be the first ones to vilify this kid.

I put a link to The Mirror and now a link to The BBC on the event, since I do know The Sun is never really viewed well by people, but I wanted to put down more than just a link to The Mirror if people wanted to read more on this event. Hopefully these are better sources for you as well.

Feeling a little foolish for even placing a link to The Sun in the first place, but it's where I stumbled across the topic so I thought that it should be used as link along side another one at least, since after all, it is The Sun. =/

How does something like that even happen..... seems way outside the bounds of any kind of normal human behavior.

Zachary Amaranth:

Desert Punk:

Depends on what your end goal is.

There's no evidence that long sentences actually serve as deterrent, nor that they provide any greater form of change on the part of the person involved.

So...What is your desired end goal here? What do you hope to accomplish with a longer sentence here?

Personally I would put him in a psych ward for atleast 5-10 years.

Anyone that thinks what he did was a good idea has some serious brain damage and needs to be looked after and to attempt to correct them.

soren7550:
This piece of shit gets three years for setting a kid on fire, killing him, and those two football shitheads only get a year in juvie after gang raping that girl and bragging about it? What the fuck is up with the criminal justice system?

Basically...... no one stole money from rich people or the government, everyone knows money crimes are worse than human suffering......

Desert Punk:

Anyone that thinks what he did was a good idea has some serious brain damage and needs to be looked after and to attempt to correct them.

Is there any evidence he thought it was a "good idea?"

Just a question. We have in the headlines dudes who raped a chick and then PASSED AROUND VIDEO and made boisterous comments about the event, demonstrating intent, knowledge and a sense of acceptability for their acts.

They may serve only a single year.

Are you so vigorous about it?

Seriously, I want to know. All the Vault101 avatars blend together, so maybe you have been. Maybe you've been one of the handful of people on here who's taken an actual stand on that.

If not, however....

Well, it strikes me as weird that you've got such a vengeance-on for a dude charged with manslaughter, which should indicated they can't demonstrate intent. This kid's an asshole, but you're treating him as though this was his plan all along, and that's just crap.

thaluikhain:

Easton Dark:

It probably has more to do with the fact that the accused plead guilty.

Zachary Amaranth:

Desert Punk:

Is there any evidence he thought it was a "good idea?"

Just a question. We have in the headlines dudes who raped a chick and then PASSED AROUND VIDEO and made boisterous comments about the event, demonstrating intent, knowledge and a sense of acceptability for their acts.

They may serve only a single year.

Are you so vigorous about it?

Seriously, I want to know. All the Vault101 avatars blend together, so maybe you have been. Maybe you've been one of the handful of people on here who's taken an actual stand on that.

If not, however....

Well, it strikes me as weird that you've got such a vengeance-on for a dude charged with manslaughter, which should indicated they can't demonstrate intent. This kid's an asshole, but you're treating him as though this was his plan all along, and that's just crap.

Sorry, language problem "Good idea" as in "Not completely fucking retarded." Like most people with working braincells could tell you that using a lighter near an oiled up person is probably going to end not well.

And yeah, I have a very dim view of that case as well, but I havent posted in the thread because I might get insulting toward some people who say one year is ok for what they did and...well my health bar isnt the healthiest :P

And if you note, I am not advocating life in prison, burning his junk off, or any other harsh sentence, I am advocating some mental help for the guy. How is trying to get someone that is mentally deficient a "vengeance-on?"

Desert Punk:
Sorry, language problem "Good idea" as in "Not completely fucking retarded."

By that logic, you should lock up 90% of teenage boys for 5-10 years.

Actually, I don't object to that idea.

And if you note, I am not advocating life in prison, burning his junk off, or any other harsh sentence, I am advocating some mental help for the guy.

I'm not sure your intent here. The phrase "duh" comes to mind. Still, advocating a harsher sentence because ponies still sounds like a vengeance-on.

What is wrong with the people in this thread that say 3.5 years is enough? First, he won't serve all of that. Second, did you read the article? There are less heinous crimes given the death penalty.

I hope someone finds this guy after he gets out and tortures him to death. This is unspeakable inhuman behavior and he should be cut from civilization. Sorry chap, you're not good enough to make the cut. Go drown yourself.

Shadowstar38:

Headdrivehardscrew:
What if Steven had been your son or your brother? Would you still feel like 3.5 years are enough.

The court that sentenced the guy thought it was enough. That would be sufficient for me.

So, because the "court" decided it, it must be perfectly fitting and worthwhile allotment of prison time?
Mate, in some places you can be let off from killing someone with albinism, because they don't consider albinos human, and in the states people have been known to get longer sentences for smoking a joint and getting caught, how the fuck, is 3.5 years an acceptable sentence, when you consider that this dude, wrote phrases of a clearly negatively labeling sort on a guy whom he coerced into stripping naked, and then BURNED HIM TO DEATH.

Just a quick question for you, have you ever experienced a severe burn? if you have ever burned yourself, like at all, now imagine it being over a large portion of your body, including your genitals, and not stopping until you die.
I think that most people would agree that that's just about the most painful way to die(not including certain neurotoxins of course), and when you consider that it was obviously an action taken for reasons of discrimination, well torturing someone to death because they're different, takes a certain degree of FUCKED THE HELL UP.
Now, that might be a learned kind of fucked the hell up taught by bad parents, and if so, the fact that he fled the scene clearly means he knows just how bad his actions were, in this case a nice long prison sentence would act as both a good reminder to him of how wrong it is to burn someone to death for not being "normal" enough in his eyes, and serve as a warning to anyone else in his community who may share his sentiments towards people with a different lifestyle, different sexual orientation, and or disabilities(taking his apparent autism into account here as well).

What I'm trying to say is, the court isn't always right, because sometimes the court is biased in such a way as to willfully ignore certain elements due to personal prejudices. After all, the law is about as concrete in most cases as silly putty.

It all really hinges on why he was covered in tanning oil. It sounds like they decided that it wasn't the perpetrator who covered him in oil and the death was unintentional.

I'm not defending anyone, what happened was disgusting. Just trying to think it out.

Prison needs to be a form of punishment AND rehabilitation. 3.5 years doesn't seem like a good enough punishment, I say add a few more on to that.

The_Scrivener:
This is unspeakable inhuman behavior

The_Scrivener:
I hope someone finds this guy after he gets out and tortures him to death.

OH THE IRONY.

SecretNegative:

this isn't meant to sound insulting in the slightest, but your innocence and naivety (sp?) are kinda refreshing and adorable. again, no disrespect or condescension are intended here. i guess adorable is a little condescending... but not in a jerk way. is there a such thing as polite condescension?

DoomyMcDoom:
snip

Couple of problems here. One being that he wasn't charged with a hate crime from what I've read. So he probably wasn't the one that wrote on the boy's body. Second, if they didn't charge him with straight up murder, there might not have been enough evidence to suggest he burned the guy to death on purpose. That kind of thing has to be taken into consideration.

I'm missing a lot of details in this whole thing to really figure out what would be a proper sentence for this guy, so I'm not going to outright say he deserves more time.

The_Scrivener:

I hope someone finds this guy after he gets out and tortures him to death. This is unspeakable inhuman behavior and he should be cut from civilization.

"This is a horrible and immoral act that should never be done to a person. We're going to show you that by doing the same exact thing to you"

*brain melts*

What?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook