Defining Misogynism

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Just wow. This guy is a real prince. The way he dresses and gestures with his cigarette he clearly thinks of himself as some kind of Don Draper type, but he comes off more as some douche who probably gets pepper sprayed a lot. This guy truly is a mysogynist.

I also find the contrast between his super-masculine affectations and his lispy vaguely effeminate voice really distracting.

Huh. A dude met some bitchy women, then made a YouTube video on it, eh? Seems like a thing. You know, I've met some asshole men, too. I guess I can copy-paste my experience onto all men (except specific ones I like, because they are OK, obviously) and rant about it on YouTube for 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure I can find some sources no one has heard about and claim they're credible, too. And anything is a fact if you say "This is a FACT!" after it three times (it can't be any less, or people might question you). Also, it looks like all propaganda is true again. This is good to know, because coming up with opinions (wait, crap, these aren't opinions, these are facts, my bad) is easy when I don't have to think about them. Huh. How many viewers does this guy have? I think I've got a camera around here somewhere...

Holy crap, how can someone with a beard that fuckwitty still surprise me with how much of a fuckwit he is?

Oh my god, this guy is hilarious. Is he joking? Please say he's joking.

Darken12:

Callate:
But "misogyny" implies an attitude in which some kind of destruction or subjugation of females isn't a hypothetical byproduct of behavior, but a goal.

No, it doesn't. Misogyny covers the superiority and the non-intentional sexism too. The men who use women like objects that exist only to serve them are misogynist not because they angrily hate the women they're using, but because they have contempt (which is a form of hatred) for the idea of women as their equal, or as fully realised human beings. The man who hates the idea that women might invade his "sacred male space" or expresses contempt at the idea that a woman might be his equal (or anything more than a sex object), is a misogynist.

Seems like you have applied misogyny in an overly broad manner. Sure, hating women and seeing them as objects may be misogyny, but the discomfort that women might invade a sacred male space certainly is not.

Nor is viewing women as unequal, or discriminating on that basis. That's just sexism.

Not saying that those views are right, just that you're wrong.

Holy shit...he's literally an armchair intellectual...the internet has come full circle people, be very afraid.

ccdohl:

Darken12:

Callate:
But "misogyny" implies an attitude in which some kind of destruction or subjugation of females isn't a hypothetical byproduct of behavior, but a goal.

No, it doesn't. Misogyny covers the superiority and the non-intentional sexism too. The men who use women like objects that exist only to serve them are misogynist not because they angrily hate the women they're using, but because they have contempt (which is a form of hatred) for the idea of women as their equal, or as fully realised human beings. The man who hates the idea that women might invade his "sacred male space" or expresses contempt at the idea that a woman might be his equal (or anything more than a sex object), is a misogynist.

Seems like you have applied misogyny in an overly broad manner. Sure, hating women and seeing them as objects may be misogyny, but the discomfort that women might invade a sacred male space certainly is not.

Nor is viewing women as unequal, or discriminating on that basis. That's just sexism.

Not saying that those views are right, just that you're wrong.

Misogyny is the detestation or hatred of women. It's literally in the name, the roots are "I hate" and "Women."

Regardless of the context, severity, or supposed justification those are all examples of either misogyny, or it's consequences.

ccdohl:
Pretty spot on about video games. I'm tired of hearing about sexism in video games. It's no worse in that media than any other, sexist idiots in online games notwithstanding. It doesn't need to change until there is a market reason to do so,

What, like the fact that 50% of consumers are women?

Desert Punk:

Nope, just the hatred of women.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny

Some people like to apply it to "anything that happens to offend me today" though. You can notice a few people in this thread calling him misogynistic when he doesn't really seem to be, he is more chauvinistic and bigoted, as he is a douche but does not appear to hate women.

Um, did you miss this?

"Women have turned into the most selfish, solipsistic, vain and cruel creatures the planet has ever seen."

Or this?

"Modern Women are completely out of control. They have gone completely feral, and their behaviour is completely unacceptable in a civilized society."

Regardless, "misogyny" means a literal hatred of women to the same extent that "homophobia" means a literal fear of homosexuals.

ccdohl:

If those sexist actions/conceptions stem from contempt, hatred or anger at women or their status as fully realised human beings and/or their status as the equals of men, that's misogyny.

He initially brought up a type of person I was familiar with, but then his argument degenerated considerably. A great deal of the things he said about those women's lifestyles is true, but it can be applied to men as well. The vid is full of anecdotes, but nothing really of any substance. I notice how he omitted whether or not men should be "slutting it up". I think we are all responsible for our choices and actions, but blaming entire subgroups of humanity is questionable.

boots:
Listen, I know you guys aren't making it more than 30 seconds in, but stick with it and you will find more nuggets of comedy gold than your body can take.

"It's not that I don't know how to approach women or talk to them. It's not a hypothesis either. This is fact. The more experience you have, the more you see it. This is an absolute factor in our modern degeneration, that women have turned into the most selfish, solipsistic, vain and cruel creatures the planet has ever seen."

Okay. I'm gonna watch it. But if I'm going to get drain bamage then it is all your fault!

even a broken clock is right twice a day? He has some valid points, but that's amidst 99% bullshit and eye-rolling entitlement.

boots:

Desert Punk:

Nope, just the hatred of women.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny

Some people like to apply it to "anything that happens to offend me today" though. You can notice a few people in this thread calling him misogynistic when he doesn't really seem to be, he is more chauvinistic and bigoted, as he is a douche but does not appear to hate women.

"Modern Women are completely out of control. They have gone completely feral, and their behaviour is completely unacceptable in a civilized society."

Oh my lands that was hilarious! XD Because women apparently belong in the kitchen according to him (guy in video). But like I said before, there are some valid arguments, they just are never backed up by any evidence other than "I've met women before, they're meanies." Most of it is just bullshit and entitlement, however.

Lieju:

ccdohl:
Pretty spot on about video games. I'm tired of hearing about sexism in video games. It's no worse in that media than any other, sexist idiots in online games notwithstanding. It doesn't need to change until there is a market reason to do so,

Actually, I take serious issue with that statistic. I know that Jim Sterling used it to make a point in his video yesterday, but I don't think that it applies to the types of games that we are talking about.

The only thing that I could find on it when I did my own research was a study by the ESRB that notes a sharp rise due to casual pad and phone games. In other words, not the games that we usually consider in our discussions.

In a sense, Jim was guilty of equivocation of one type of gaming with another. Women aren't underrepresented despite being 50% of the gaming market, they are actually part of a market that may may as well be separate.

I know it will be anecdotal, but think about that 50% claim. Does it seem right to you? My experience tells me that it is probably wrong, what does yours tell you?

Definition of misogyny
noun
[mass noun]
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women

That is the definition of Misogyny, as has been pointed out several times by now, it took all of 0 seconds to get what this guy was going to say and I lasted 17s till I had to make it stop.

Worgen:
Shouldn't this guy be busy leading NOD against the forces of GDI?

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that though that lol. Though I doubt Joseph Kurgen is anywhere close to this guys level of douchebag.

Calibanbutcher:
Well, that was fun, it's always nice to see someone make an ass of himself, and he does it in such an eloquent way and with such flamboyancy, that it's just a joy to behold.

I think I want to watch more of his videos now, this could turn out to be great entertainment.

I know, it almost sweeps you up, because he's well spoken, and admittedly charismatic. But fuck me, it's like he's never heard the word "spectrum" before.

And he keeps saying this shit is fact. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Edit for consistency: I managed to get 11 minutes in before my nose started bleeding.

ccdohl:

Lieju:

ccdohl:

Actually, I take serious issue with that statistic. I know that Jim Sterling used it to make a point in his video yesterday, but I don't think that it applies to the types of games that we are talking about.

The only thing that I could find on it when I did my own research was a study by the ESRB that notes a sharp rise due to casual pad and phone games. In other words, not the games that we usually consider in our discussions.

In a sense, Jim was guilty of equivocation of one type of gaming with another. Women aren't underrepresented despite being 50% of the gaming market, they are actually part of a market that may may as well be separate.

I know it will be anecdotal, but think about that 50% claim. Does it seem right to you? My experience tells me that it is probably wrong, what does yours tell you?

Half of human population is female, that was the statistic I was referring to.
If women aren't playing the more hard-core games, then the question should be 'why'?
Maybe because of the sexism, if not in the games, then in the marketing that makes the games like Bioshock Infinite look like they are for boys.

I'd just like to say how heartening to see the escapist as a whole actually agree on something for once. When the worst disagreement in a thread is people arguing the semantics of exactly what sort of doucherocket the guy is and how long we were each able to tolerate him before ejecting tis a joyous day indeed.

Also about one minute.

Did his a few women in each generation statement remind anyone else of Calvin Candie's one black man in a thousand thing?

Good evening Mr. Bond. I would like to speak to you about feminist theory.

OT: Is this guy serious? I can't help but think that this John Waters looking motherfucker is engaged in some sort of performance piece, that we're just not getting. Either that or it's not an actual thought, but instead my brain deluding myself as a sort of defense mechanism. Either way I'm buying this guys book, I have to peer deeper into his mind. Who knows what treasures lie within?

Oh by the way 12:16

The guy makes some good points.

I've never seen someone so articulate, in a satirical fashion, the problems with the attitudes of modern men towards women. Absolutely pitch perfect performance.

It was a performance, right?

Right, guys?

Lieju:

ccdohl:

Lieju:

Half of human population is female, that was the statistic I was referring to.
If women aren't playing the more hard-core games, then the question should be 'why'?
Maybe because of the sexism, if not in the games, then in the marketing that makes the games like Bioshock Infinite look like they are for boys.

Maybe. I don't think that I've ever met a female who told me that she didn't play video games because of sexism. There are probably a lot of factors in that equation, so I won't guess too much about it without a couple of research assistance and a research grant.

It may just be that core games are so big and expensive these days that designers don't want to take a chance on not appealing to their most loyal and reliable audience as much as possible.

I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything, but I wonder if mainstream game developers started trying to appeal more to the female demographic, would it increase sales at all? I wouldn't bet on it. I'm not sure that it would decrease sale among male gamers, but why risk it?

Of course, I'm just guessing here. The great thing about indie games is that they're more accessible and creators are much more willing to try new things. Who knows what will become the norm in a few years?

I love that this thread practically turned into an endurance thread.

That said I agree with pretty much being said in this thread.

OtherSideofSky:

aba1:
Edit2: I was watching a few related videos out of curiosity and I thought this video hit some interesting points.

You can only call Warren Farrell 'related' to trash like this in the loosest sense, that they both deal with sort of the same subject matter. He's a real academic who does actual research, has a history of organizational involvement, and a number of books in print. It's like the difference between a post on Jezebel and a paper by Kristeva.

OP: If you can't tell, I don't think much of that video.

Ohh ya wasn't saying they were the same at all just that it was a similar topic and that this brought some interesting ideas to the table worth thinking about. The other video is just ridiculous.

I managed to get a whopping 30 seconds in before I shut it off. The guy reminds me of Calvin Candie, and once I made that connection I don't think I'll ever be able to take him seriously.

ccdohl:

Maybe. I don't think that I've ever met a female who told me that she didn't play video games because of sexism.

They might not be aware of the reasns why they don't appeal to them.
But if you have games being marketed to boys, showing cleavage and dudebros being macho, is it wonder that many women would think 'that's not for me'?

ccdohl:

It may just be that core games are so big and expensive these days that designers don't want to take a chance on not appealing to their most loyal and reliable audience as much as possible.

Yes, that's a problem in gaming. Being afraid to try new things.

ccdohl:

I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything, but I wonder if mainstream game developers started trying to appeal more to the female demographic, would it increase sales at all? I wouldn't bet on it. I'm not sure that it would decrease sale among male gamers, but why risk it?

Depends on what kind of audience you'd go for.
More and more gamers are adults, and would appreciate more well-rounded characters and even more choices in your protagonists or character-creators.

Juvenile games will always sell, but their relative share of the market will grow smaller when not all gamers are teenage boys anymore.

Seems to me like he's going for the exact female equivalent of the "scum" he complains all the women are going for. Or maybe he just hasn't met a lady who's interested in dating a comic book villain.

Apparently he's a damn good writer. Accomplished even. I can't dispute that on account of not knowing who the fuck this guy is, but he sure as hell isn't a damn good speaker. Fifteen minutes of him felt like bullet ants crawling up my ass. Not much of a painter either, not with those kinds of strokes. Ha.

Remember, brothers: it's not you, it's them!

This pretty much looks like he met a few of the worst and is brushing them off like factual evidence for the behaviour of all women.

Alone the implication that gaming is a 'male space' baffles me...

Hahahaha. Hahahahahahhahaha. Oh my.

Wow.

I didn't even know people like this existed , much less produced Youtube videos. What gets me isn't the awful content, but the pathetic presentation.

There he is, in his chair, dispensing his words of wisdom while smoking and impersonating Russ Pitts/Kane. It's like he's not in on his own joke, and that joke is that he's trying so hard, yet missing so much. He's so high on his own fuckwittery he apparently has no sense of self-awareness.

I am actually a little amazed that anyone could possibly have this combination of traits, this monstrous egomania and not have been beaten to death yet.

Still, watch the entire video, it's good for a laugh. And, as has been noted, his performance/content is fascinating in its own way. The way people are interested in the motives of serial killers, I am intrigued by this man. I am forced to wonder - why is he? And how did he come to be so?

Also, the comments are a (depressing) goldmine.

I agree with this guy completely.

No seriously, I mean it, this guy is on the ball.

I watched the whole thing and I see the truth of it.
We've given too much ground to this absurd idea that traditional roles are outdated and misogynistic.

But it doesn't matter, this ball is rolling and it won't stop, it will just speed up as more and more men are driven into subservient roles until a woman needs to do the work and that's where the buck stops.

When society runs out of men to sacrifice this whole house of feminist cards will fall and western society will be picked off by foreign cultures.

Enjoy the acid in your daughters faces because that is the world feminism creates, Sharia law for everyone.

Zhukov:

bananafishtoday:
...but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.

Oh, ain't that the truth.

I got to 6:04. All hail.

Women must be a lot different where he comes from.

Thats impressive, 2:09 was the "my life is far to short for 13 minutes more of that"-point.

-

OT: Whats with the "comic con is mainstream now, death to the 'fake' nerd girls"-attitude. I always get the feeling guys like him fear the power beatuful women hold over them, and are mad that those are now invading their former "save" spaces in greater numbers.

magicmonkeybars:

We've given too much ground to this absurd idea that traditional roles are outdated and misogynistic.

But it doesn't matter, this ball is rolling and it won't stop, it will just speed up as more and more men are driven into subservient roles until a woman needs to do the work and that's where the buck stops.

When society runs out of men to sacrifice this whole house of feminist cards will fall and western society will be picked off by foreign cultures.

Enjoy the acid in your daughters faces because that is the world feminism creates, Sharia law for everyone.

You're...you're being satirical, right?

Feminism...causes women to have acid thrown in their faces. I see some problems in modern feminism, but making women MORE vulnerable...does not seem to be one of them.

magicmonkeybars:

Checking through your posts reveals you to be the real deal.

God in heaven, what hath we gamers unleashed.

magicmonkeybars:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and applaud you for the great satire.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked