Metal thread

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 26 NEXT

Wow anyone heard Prey For Nothing? pretty good melodic death and their from Israel :S

What do you call a heavy metal band with hard rock vocals?

Just recently discovered Hypocrisy (melodic death), and damn have I been missing out. Instant favorite of mine.
Kinda glad that they haven't played in a few years, and are coming back with a new album beginning 2009 (that's what their site says.) and tour after that, so atleast I haven't missed any shows :P Their lyrics are usually about aliens, example they have a song called Roswell 47. Can't believe I haven't heard of them before.

GPScorpio:

I guess nu metal?

My top 5 metal bands; Trivium, Dream Theater, Children Of Bodom, Slipknot (latest 2 albums are the best) and Metallica

Dechef:
Just recently discovered Hypocrisy (melodic death), and damn have I been missing out. Instant favorite of mine.
Kinda glad that they haven't played in a few years, and are coming back with a new album beginning 2009 (that's what their site says.) and tour after that, so atleast I haven't missed any shows :P Their lyrics are usually about aliens, example they have a song called Roswell 47. Can't believe I haven't heard of them before.

GPScorpio:

I guess nu metal?

Can't be. Nu metal has more pop/grunge influences. I can't find any heavy metal with hard rock vocals besides Dio.

AuntyEthel:
I dunno how to explain it, but just the way the bands often dress up and scream about blood and Satan really amuses me. Cradle, Immortal etc are meant to look fearsome/scary/something, but I really can't see why someone would look at them and go, "Damn they look cool!"

If it is serious music made with serious intent, then I take it seriously. If it's silly fun music, I don't take it seriously. Should I take Jimi Hendrix seriously because half of his songs are about drugs, or Coldplay because theirs are a bunch of pretentious half-ballads? Any music can be considered shallow, ridiculous, childish, etc. when viewed from the right perspective. Sure, death metal bands like Cannibal Corpse, it's stupid, it's "fun" pop metal, just like the "fun" violence in games like Gears of War. But take a band like Gorgoroth, which has Satanic lyrics written entirely seriously (and quite competently)... even if I don't necessarily agree with them, I still appreciate them for what they are. You have to know where the line is, and that only comes with experience.

As for corpse paint and all that... yes, we've all seen the old Immortal videos. I don't know if it was meant to be ironic or silly back then (it certainly wasn't for some second-wave bands like Satyricon), but it certainly is treated that way by them these days. It's also awesome, in its own cheesy way. Despite whatever you think of the image and the fashion (which is usually done out of tradition more than anything), though, a good band's music will speak for itself. And I only listen to good music.

GPScorpio:

Dechef:

GPScorpio:

I guess nu metal?

Can't be. Nu metal has more pop/grunge influences. I can't find any heavy metal with hard rock vocals besides Dio.

Dio has a hard rock voice? :o

Dechef:

Yeah, more or less. Although I'd stick them more into heavy metal, they're definitely one of those "transition bands".

Dechef:

GPScorpio:

Dechef:

GPScorpio:

I guess nu metal?

Well, yeah. I guess it depends on your prespective. Metal vocals to me are made up of growling and grunting.

searanox:

Dechef:

Yeah, more or less. Although I'd stick them more into heavy metal, they're definitely one of those "transition bands".

I'd say dio's voice fits in perfectly with heavy metal. Just like Rob halford.
The rest of sabbath is more "transition band".

Dechef:

Eh. He does have a metal-ish voice, but it is definitely coming out of that whole classic/hard rock phase that preceded it.

Arsen:
Name ONE metal band you don't think anyone has heard of, and I have probably heard of them in some way, shape, or form.

The Mad Capsule Markets
They are a japanese metal band that formed in 1990 and began fusing punk with rave and they had all their guitars as metal as possible whilst the drummer was at a d'n'b breakbeat speed. then kyono (i think) their vocalist began rapping (whilst screaming) usually with distortion on top. it's like the ultimate blend of genres. They broke up about 3 years ago.
Oh yeah and they have like 20 albums, either more or the same as Maiden.

I like: All That Remains, Lamb Of God...shit like that. Stoked to be seeing LoG Feb 2009.

Edit-oh and i forgot to mention, their live stuff is amazing because at japanese concerts you basically cannot hear the crowd.

searanox:

Dechef:

Eh. He does have a metal-ish voice, but it is definitely coming out of that whole classic/hard rock phase that preceded it.

Oh well, doesn't matter if he's hard rock heavy metal or pop rock or whatever, he's awesome and that's all that matters.

Does anyone else think that the new vocalist for Skinless is a MASSIVE improvement over their old singer?

One band that gets me going. Is an old English Death Metal band in the 70s and stuff called Bolt Thrower. I bloomin LOVE them! :3 I do like bands like Korn, slipknot and other stuff but it all really depends. Maximum the hormone an japanese metal band got me liking it too so I have a few I like really.

PAIN is an industrial metal project by Peter Tagtgren, the vocalist for Hypocrisy. He writes and performs all the vocals and plays all the instruments. Incredible variety in the sound, yet almost every song is great.

Dechef:

GPScorpio:

I guess nu metal?

Yeah I quite like Hypocrisy too. Do you have the newer version of the Catch 22 album? Its a lot better. Apparently fans did not like the new direction they took, so the rewrote the entire album haha.

y8c616:
My top 5 metal bands; Trivium, Dream Theater, Children Of Bodom, Slipknot (latest 2 albums are the best) and Metallica

Wow ive never heard anyone say they liked the new slipknot albums the most. Im curious man being a big slipknot fan, what is it that you like more about the new stuff?

The Norse metal stuff is pretty good imo. Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Turisas, Amon Amarth ... theres a lot of them getting names for themselves these days

Anyone a fan of Symphony X? That is amazing Progressive Metal

Lukeydoodly:

Yeah I quite like Hypocrisy too. Do you have the newer version of the Catch 22 album? Its a lot better. Apparently fans did not like the new direction they took, so the rewrote the entire album haha.

Nope. I know they rewrote it, but I don't have it yet. Virus is my favorite anyway :P

I came here expecting some copper wire. "Metal Thread" is misleading.

Dechef:

Lukeydoodly:

Nope. I know they rewrote it, but I don't have it yet. Virus is my favorite anyway :P

Warpath rocks!

Lukeydoodly:

Dechef:

Lukeydoodly:

Warpath rocks!

Especially Let the knife do the talking. First song I heard of 'em, became addicted right away!

Has anyone here heard of Equilibrium? Folk/viking metal, very silly keyboards. They're a guilty pleasure of mine.

Oh, and if people want to recommend decent bands from the genres they most listen to, i'll start adding them to the first post so people don't have to trawl through 10+ pages to find new music.

A lot of the bands and discussion in this thread make me very sad.

searanox:

Sad as in emotional sad or despairing sad?

Rusty Bucket:

searanox:

Sad as in my heart is a forest of hatred and sorrow.

searanox:

Rusty Bucket:

searanox:

Sad as in my heart is a forest of hatred and sorrow.

Hahahaha. I'm experiencing simialr issues. I've already had to tell people off for dicussing Korn. That was just too far.

Rusty Bucket:
Hahahaha. I'm experiencing simialr issues. I've already had to tell people off for dicussing Korn. That was just too far.

I dunno... too much melodeath, deathcore, crappy hard rock, classic rock, grindcore, lame-ass flower metal... where the hell is the real stuff? We need black metal, we need proper death metal, folk metal, Viking metal, avant-garde metal. Get me Arcturus, Gorguts, Borknagar, Summoning, Thyrfing, 1349, Vintersorg, Celtic Frost, Slough Feg, Negură Bunget, Edge of Sanity, Primordial, Vader, SuidAkrA... good music, dammit.

searanox:

Rusty Bucket:

I dunno... too much melodeath, deathcore, crappy hard rock, classic rock, grindcore, lame-ass flower metal... where the hell is the real stuff? We need black metal, we need proper death metal, folk metal, Viking metal, avant-garde metal. Get me Arcturus, Gorguts, Borknagar, Summoning, Thyrfing, 1349, Vintersorg, Celtic Frost, Slough Feg, Negură Bunget, Edge of Sanity, Primordial, Vader, SuidAkrA... good music, dammit.

Hang on, what's wrong with melodic death metal? Sure, it's a disturbingly saturated genre, but when done properly its stunning. The rest i agree with though. Actually, i've been looking to get into more black metal, any reccomendations?

Rusty Bucket:
Actually, i've been looking to get into more black metal, any reccomendations?

Early Satyricon, Emperor, Burzum, 1349, Gorgoroth, Abyssos, Leviathan, Xasthur, early Enslaved, early Ulver, early Borknagar, earlier Darkthrone, Negură Bunget (progressive black/folk), Taake, Summoning (melodic post-black), Immortal, pre-reuinion Dissection, later Absu (black/thrash metal), Kampfar, Agalloch (atmospheric post-black folk/"dark" metal), Anaal Nathrakh (grindcore/black metal), Aura Noir (old-school Venom- and Bathory-inspired black/thrash metal).

Nothing that wrong with melodeath in theory, but if I see more Dark Tranquillity/In Flames/Soilwork/Arch Enemy Gothenburg crap I'm going to shoot myself. A few of the bands I mentioned above, like Edge of Sanity and SuidAkrA, are mostly melodic death metal.

searanox:

Rusty Bucket:
Actually, i've been looking to get into more black metal, any reccomendations?

Nothing that wrong with melodeath in theory, but if I see more Dark Tranquillity/In Flames/Soilwork/Arch Enemy Gothenburg crap I'm going to shoot myself. A few of the bands I mentioned above, like Edge of Sanity and SuidAkrA, are mostly melodic death metal.

That's the main problem with the genre, newer bands generally just copy the original three. I still love Dark Tranquillity though. There are some newer bands that play Gothenburg style stuff, but play it so damn well that it doesn't matter that they're not doing anything new. The Absence, for example.

Rusty Bucket:
That's the main problem with the genre, newer bands generally just copy the original three. I still love Dark Tranquillity though. There are some newer bands that play Gothenburg style stuff, but play it so damn well that it doesn't matter that they're not doing anything new. The Absence, for example.

The Absence is not really Gothenburg, from what I have heard, but they are not bad either.

The problem with melodeath, not just Gothenburg, is that it's a genre that is cookie-cutter almost by definition; everything had already been more or less done by the time Carcass released Heartwork in 1993 and In Flames came out with Lunar Strain in 1994. Later albums by other bands just built upon that same framework. It's also worth pointing out that's ridiculously easy to write melodeath songs; experimentation usually puts you outside of the melodeath genre, as well. It's the same issue a lot of people have with black metal, actually. Aside from things like differing production values, all the riffs, melodies and vocal styles have already been done. There is definitely something to be said for being good at it, of course, but real innovation is even more rare than normal, which is why I think bands like SuidAkrA, Edge of Sanity, Arsis, Demigod, etc. stand out.

searanox:

Rusty Bucket:

The Absence is not really Gothenburg, from what I have heard, but they are not bad either.

The problem with melodeath, not just Gothenburg, is that it's a genre that is cookie-cutter almost by definition; everything had already been more or less done by the time Carcass released Heartwork in 1993 and In Flames came out with Lunar Strain in 1994. Later albums by other bands just built upon that same framework. It's also worth pointing out that's ridiculously easy to write melodeath songs; experimentation usually puts you outside of the melodeath genre, as well. It's the same issue a lot of people have with black metal, actually. Aside from things like differing production values, all the riffs, melodies and vocal styles have already been done. There is definitely something to be said for being good at it, of course, but real innovation is even more rare than normal, which is why I think bands like SuidAkrA, Edge of Sanity, Arsis, Demigod, etc. stand out.

That's a very good description of it actually, i hadn't thought of it quite like that. I do like Arsis, wasn't too impressed with their last couple of releases though, they seemed to lose something. Had a listen to SuidAkrA as well, not quite up my street, but it might grow on me. When melodeath is done right, or at least has a slightly different spin on it, i think it's a brilliant genre of music. Plus, it's a good way to start to get into lots of different styles of metal.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked