Metal thread

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 . . . 26 NEXT

Maximum the hormone, Metallica, Iron Maiden, In Flames and Slipknot

Slipknot can go suck my rather large male genitalia. They are so overhyped and overrated.

Lamb of God on the other hand, they are awesome!

Ok, it's been a while, but i thought i might as well bring this thing back, hopefully stop most of the other metal threads appearing. Seems a shame to let this thing die anyway.

Right, just a small melo-death update for those that like that sort of thing.

The Absence have announced that they will start recording their new album, Enemy Unbound, this September. Although i can't find the post on their Myspace that said that anymore, so take it with a grain of salt. What is certain though, is that there will be a section of one of the songs that will have one of the fans play lead guitar on. Whoever submits the best entry to The Absence guest guitar shred off challenge gets to do it. You can view all the entries on youtube if you're interested.

Anterior are also writing stuff for a new album, hoping to record in September/October. Not really much else to say about it, they say they'll be releasing other info like title, track listing etc. over the coming months. Link

And now for the news that had me squealing like a pre-pubescent little girl. Dark Tranquillity have announced that they are writing their ninth/tenth (depending on how you count) full length album. Holy balls, i'm excited. They'll be recording in Septmeber/October, aiming for an early 2010 release. I know, it's way too long to wait. Link

Right, that's all i've got for now, if anyone else has got any news, stick it here. And please lets try to keep the other metal threads to a minimum.

Eric_Autopsy:
Slipknot can go suck my rather large male genitalia. They are so overhyped and overrated.

Slipknot is the best band of its genre. Not going to continue this argument because I've done it all before and I'm sick of trolls.

Anyone here know Mournful Congregation?

thy art is murder.

Trash forever! Metallica!!!

This things sunk pretty low already. Does no-one want to talk about metal? I know there's loads of people on here who like it, so join in, it's fun.

Akai Shizuku:

Slipknot is the best band of its genre. Not going to continue this argument because I've done it all before and I'm sick of trolls.

Therein lies the problem, no-one seems to be able to agree on what genre they actually are, which means the fans often infringe on the elitists territory.

Rusty Bucket:
This things sunk pretty low already. Does no-one want to talk about metal? I know there's loads of people on here who like it, so join in, it's fun.

Akai Shizuku:

Therein lies the problem, no-one seems to be able to agree on what genre they actually are, which means the fans often infringe on the elitists territory.

ITS NOT METAL LOLOL

Couldn't help myself.

Anyway, I want new Arsis and Abigail Williams albums now.

Rockin' pretty much to Down, right now.

Lukeydoodly:

Rusty Bucket:

Akai Shizuku:

ITS NOT METAL LOLOL

Couldn't help myself.

Are Arsis actually doing anything new at the minute?

Nobody here knows Mournful Congregation?

Rusty Bucket:

Lukeydoodly:

Rusty Bucket:

Akai Shizuku:

ITS NOT METAL LOLOL

Couldn't help myself.

I don't think so, I might check their myspace.

Akai Shizuku:
Nobody here knows Mournful Congregation?

Nope, gonna check them out though. EDIT: really not my thing heh.

Lukeydoodly:

Rusty Bucket:

Lukeydoodly:

Rusty Bucket:

Akai Shizuku:

ITS NOT METAL LOLOL

Couldn't help myself.

I don't think so, I might check their myspace.

Yes, they are. Holy shit, yay.

Akai Shizuku:

Eric_Autopsy:

Anyone here know Mournful Congregation?

Goddammit I like both bands. Why can't everyone just get along?!?!?

But seriously though, I like Slipknot, cause they're sic, and Lamb of God, cause they're badass as well. Plus Grace is amazing.

Of course! As I'm about to start a new metal thread this one decides to come back to life.

I have found that this thread is populated by a lot of Lamb of God fans. Am i the only one that thinks that they are borderline metalcore? And that they're unoriginal as fuck. The vocals are somewhat original, but stolen from death metal bands mostly, the riffs are WAY too Pantera-ey, but the drums are the only thing that saves them from being utterly shitty.

Rusty Bucket:

Update:
Thought i'd bring this back to keep other metal threads to a minimum. You don't need to make more threads when there's this thing to post in.

But who wants to post in a thread that had been dead for over 2 months? I thought that that was frowned upon on the Escapist. I was about to start a new one until i saw you had "revived" it. So hopefully this one stays alive as long as it did originally.

Generally, I love all metal.

I have, however, been on a gothenburg binge as of late... I have been listening to a lot of Dark Tranquility and In Flames lately.

I also listen to Kittie as a guilty pleasure. ;) I've met several of the band members on a couple of occasions, and they kick ass!

My all time favorite band right now is Mercenary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3wKFYuwbs

And we can't forget these guys either! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQ0iGksgwg

pantallica95:

Rusty Bucket:

Update:
Thought i'd bring this back to keep other metal threads to a minimum. You don't need to make more threads when there's this thing to post in.

But who wants to post in a thread that had been dead for over 2 months? I thought that that was frowned upon on the Escapist. I was about to start a new one until i saw you had "revived" it. So hopefully this one stays alive as long as it did originally.

I think the accepted rule is around 2-3 months, so i was pushing it a bit, i'll admit. But i figured that it's a big thread that people enjoyed the first time so it should be alright. Plus it's not as though the topic of discussion is going away anytime soon.

Can someone explain this "True metal" thing? Whenever I hear someone say it I just think, "So what, does that mean my metal is fake?" Surely metal is metal, just because you don't like them doesn't make them true or anything

The Rockerfly:
Can someone explain this "True metal" thing? Whenever I hear someone say it I just think, "So what, does that mean my metal is fake?" Surely metal is metal, just because you don't like them doesn't make them true or anything

This is a pretty touchy subject. It basically comes down to elitism. Quite a lot of people (including me) got into metal through metalcore (a mixture of metal and hardcore, in case that wasn't obvious). The metal elitists hate all the -core genres, basically saying it's not metal. The genre's fans obviously dispute this, since the differences between the -core genres and 'true' metal are difficult to spot, especially when you're just getting into the music. I think it's really about the elitists believing that metal is mainly an underground, rebellious form of music, which was probably more true a decade ago than it is now. The emergence of -core genres has made it far more mainstream, which results in people talking about metal who have little experience of it outside of the -core genres, which the elitists hate.

Basically, it's just elistists being dicks. They don't like people infringing on their territory, especially the teenagers than metalcore attracts.

Rusty Bucket:

The Rockerfly:

This is a pretty touchy subject. It basically comes down to elitism. Quite a lot of people (including me) got into metal through metalcore (a mixture of metal and hardcore, in case that wasn't obvious). The metal elitists hate all the -core genres, basically saying it's not metal. The genre's fans obviously dispute this, since the differences between the -core genres and 'true' metal are difficult to spot, especially when you're just getting into the music. I think it's really about the elitists believing that metal is mainly an underground, rebellious form of music, which was probably more true a decade ago than it is now. The emergence of -core genres has made it far more mainstream, which results in people talking about metal who have little experience of it outside of the -core genres, which the elitists hate.

Basically, it's just elistists being dicks. They don't like people infringing on their territory, especially the teenagers than metalcore attracts.

I guess those same people will spit on me due to my love of various power metal?

The Rockerfly:

Rusty Bucket:

The Rockerfly:

I guess those same people will spit on me due to my love of various power metal?

Nahh, Power metal's fine, it's just metalcore. Things like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying etc. It's all completely ridiculous, metal has an obscene amount of genres and sub-genres, you can't define what is and isn't metal anymore. I've been on both sides of this argument, it's not pretty. Went from furiously defending Still Remains on Youtube to mocking anything that wasn't 'real' metal in the space of a coupe of months. I'm a little ashamed of myself, i tend to stay away and listen to the music.

I've just started getting into metal, I've heard some Evanescence, Iron Maiden and Nightwish. Can anyone recommend me some more please?

at this precise moment, im listening to some Dethklok

\m/

Hey, is this a thread where I can make unqualified assumptions that Metal is utter rubbish and it takes no talent to make it? No? In that case, may I ask you to refrain from doing it whenever a rap/hip-hop related topic comes up?

Many thanks,

Wordsmith.

(On Topic) Anyone got a Less Than Jake album they can recommend? I've got Welcome to Rockview, looking for more.

wordsmith:
Hey, is this a thread where I can make unqualified assumptions that Metal is utter rubbish and it takes no talent to make it? No? In that case, may I ask you to refrain from doing it whenever a rap/hip-hop related topic comes up?

Many thanks,

Wordsmith.

(On Topic) Anyone got a Less Than Jake album they can recommend? I've got Welcome to Rockview, looking for more.

What? Was this entirely necassary? Also, how are Less Than Jake on topic in a thread about metal?

Edit:

Geek@Heart:
I've just started getting into metal, I've heard some Evanescence, Iron Maiden and Nightwish. Can anyone recommend me some more please?

What sort of stuff are you looking for? I don't really have much experience with stuff like Nightwish, but if you're looking for some more keyboard driven stuff Try Equilibrium. They're folk metal, and very silly, but still pretty good to listen to. Actually, what sort of vocals are you looking for? If you want softer vocal stuff, try some power metal, e.g Firewind and Nevermore.

Rusty Bucket:

pantallica95:

Rusty Bucket:

Update:

I think the accepted rule is around 2-3 months, so i was pushing it a bit, i'll admit. But i figured that it's a big thread that people enjoyed the first time so it should be alright. Plus it's not as though the topic of discussion is going away anytime soon.

Hahaha true. Metal isnt going to die. It's never the popular genre, but it hasnt died out either.

But i was literally starting a new thread and i was providing a link to this thread as a "what we are here to do" type thing when i saw you were reviving it. But if this goes for another 21 pages I'm all for it!

Rusty Bucket:

wordsmith:

Many thanks,

Wordsmith.

What? Was this entirely necassary? Also, how are Less Than Jake on topic in a thread about metal?

Yes actually, I think it was. Two threads in the past few weeks about rap/hip-hop:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.128191#2744751
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.127814?page=1

People come in, say something along the lines of "ZOMG why would anyone buy that rap is shit lolololololol", then leave. I'm merely making a point that the rap fans aren't in here burning metal to the ground, so why don't the rap threads get the same respect.

pantallica95:
Of course! As I'm about to start a new metal thread this one decides to come back to life.

I have found that this thread is populated by a lot of Lamb of God fans. Am i the only one that thinks that they are borderline metalcore? And that they're unoriginal as fuck. The vocals are somewhat original, but stolen from death metal bands mostly, the riffs are WAY too Pantera-ey, but the drums are the only thing that saves them from being utterly shitty.

Your not the only one. Also I don't like the people who just come in here and say "METALLICA RULEZ" and "OMG SLIPKNOT R SO METALLLLl!!!!1!" Which is, by the way, 80% of this thread.

In any case I've given up on the Escapist's taste in metal. All they listen to is pretentious, boring, overproduced garbage.

Geek@Heart:
Evanescence

tee hee.

Thrash. I'm all for thrash. Anything with screaming about rivers of blood and piles of bones is just obnoxious. Metallica, Black Tide, and Disturbed's latest two albums. Seether is all right, but I don't know if they count as metal...

I'm a big fan of metal. You could say I'm a big metal. Lordi is my favourite band. For those of you who dont know they sang "Hard Rock Hallelujah". Won Eurovision in 2006. Here's the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

>.> I'll listen to any band so long as:

1) One song does not sound like 50 other songs.
2) They sound the same live as in studio (to a realistic degree).

I subscribe more to punk rock than metal, but those rules apply to anything in those genres.

BTW, Slipknot is boring, uncreative, and generic causing all their songs to blend into one long MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Not Good:

pantallica95:

Your not the only one. Also I don't like the people who just come in here and say "METALLICA RULEZ" and "OMG SLIPKNOT R SO METALLLLl!!!!1!" Which is, by the way, 80% of this thread.

In any case I've given up on the Escapist's taste in metal. All they listen to is pretentious, boring, overproduced garbage.

And what exactly is your taste in metal? I'm asking seriously, not as some smartass comment. Generally the posters on the site are teenagers (not all of us, but probably a majority) and I recall my own teenage tastes running towards the more mainstream metal stuff at the time. Now I basically go for whatever catches my ear, regardless of production, but I tend to shy away from most things MTV/radio.

Rusty Bucket:

Edit:

Geek@Heart:

What sort of stuff are you looking for? I don't really have much experience with stuff like Nightwish, but if you're looking for some more keyboard driven stuff Try Equilibrium. They're folk metal, and very silly, but still pretty good to listen to. Actually, what sort of vocals are you looking for? If you want softer vocal stuff, try some power metal, e.g Firewind and Nevermore.

I didn't really know what I was looking for in terms of like soft vocals and that (I'm totally useless when it comes to music, I just knows what I like and what I don't), but I checked out those three bands and they were all really good, thanks for that.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked