31.1% (41)
A bit of each, actually.
14.4% (19)
14.4% (19)
First Amendment, bitches!
47% (62)
47% (62)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you Unconditionally or Selectively Censor your Language in forums/online/social networks?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Sure, I censor myself online every single. There's tons of things that I'd love to talk about and communities that I'd love to be a bigger part of. But I won't, because I might just have an opinion on a forum that some people don't like, and people like Jim Sterling might think it's hilarious to post a whole article about it if I were to express it in a way other than COMPLETELY SERIOUSLY and make the internet freak out for a week because "Rude!".

Not that anything like that's ever happened before, but better safe than sorry! ^_^ But yeah, if only the last thing I had to worry about was saying a bad word around my grandmother, that'd be cool.

Depends on my mood really. If I'm giddy about something I might throw in a "holy shit" or if I am pissed I will most probably use "fuck".

Other than that,it really depends if the rules of the forums/sites let me swear. If they don't and I have to censor the words, I usually just use other words that are acceptable to the rules of conduct to get my point across.

Depends on the website. If I can get banned for it? Yes. If not, I'll say whatever I Ducking Famn well want to.

Why should I? It allows me to talk more directly, and it gets my point across. Goody-two-shoes are the only ones I know that censor their language. It's a the way of the world.

I usually swear only out of pure excitement (This is the greatest fucking thing I have ever seen, dude!) or out of pure hate (Fuck you, Sonic 06!!), and very rarely within my "middle ground"...

With that said, when it comes to forums or on social networks like facebook, I sometimes take precautions given the circumstances. Although, out of impulse, it usually doesn't become a problem considering I normally talk without actually having to censor myself or apologize for my use of swearing... since I never do anyway...

The closest I would say I swear on a public online social network... is Youtube, however I never categorize Youtube as a "social network", per se...

Overall, I never do have a problem with censoring myself since I never do swear on a regular basis. Even when I do swear, it's usually in the form of quoting... especially during family conversations... (or to make myself look more like who I look like on the outside) I originally thought it was more complicated to explain when and where I do swear, but then again, swearing is not really my thing... I might swear from time to time, but the circumstances (in my opinion) usually explain my reasoning for swearing in the first place... So, to answer the poll question... No... It's just how I am... (Unless I'm not myself...)

Anything put online in such a site is "out there" for what you can consider an eternity. Even if you delete it, someone can screencap it and you no longer have any power to remove your words from the public sphere. People with influence over your life can come across such material, and that may have ill consequences. For this reason and out of respect for those I converse with, even if I voice a less-than-popular opinion or disagree vehemently with something said, I do so in a manner that is not overtly disrespectful to others.

I only censor things like endorsing <REDACTED> on the escapist. I also I don't call people here <REDACTED> either. I will say twat occasionally, like now for example.

Depends on the setting really or if I'm pissed off or not. I'll normally edit myself on facebook but forums i normally let rip.

Not out of politeness or consideration. I'll swear whenever the fuck I want. But sometimes I feel that f*** or not swearing works better in the context of what I'm saying or with the persona I'm portraying. I swear all the time in real life, for comedic effect, emphasis or whatnot, and I don't think swear words should even be frowned upon. They're a part of the language to be used.

I try not to swear on forums, mainly out of fear about being banned, but I do play it by ear. For instance if someone puts a forum that swears in the title F*ck yeah i will swear in the comments, otherwise I will just stick to "Damn" and "Hell" and the occasional "Bloody Hell". Swearing just loses its touch if you do it too much so its better just to do it one occasion

I adjust my language every single minute, each listener requires a different approach, same goes from forum to forum, comment section to comment section. Know your audience

No, I don't censor myself, as there's no fucking point.
This is the internet, where harsh language can be found anywhere and everywhere, so explain to me why I should restrict the way in which I express myself.
Either say fuck, bitch, shit, cunt and all the rest, or don't, as that's personal preference in terms of lexis, but censoring is pointless.

If I don't feel like swearing, I certanly won't smack *s into the middle of the sentence, that looks just dumb. I just write it in a manner that conveys the emotion without cursewords.

I don't censor myself.

I might keep myself from saying certain words in certain contexts, (I've been known to use all manner of expletives) but I never, never put a censor on a 'bad word' I might say.

Reasons being, 1) it makes the word stand out, 2) it makes the given word look like absolute garbage and 3) everyone knows what it is anyway.

Erm...

no.

I think it's rather silly to censor in the way you've demonstrated.

If you want to swear, then swear. Everyone knows what you mean if you put little stars there, you're still swearing.

If you don't want to swear, then don't swear. Just construct a different sentence devoid of swearing words, it's not very hard.

I'm about to put a big ole' kybosh on the whole censorship deal. Swearing is good for your health. Need proof, or perhaps some citation? Here 'tis.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2011/04/21/use-foul-language-to-relieve-stress-and-pain/

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1913773,00.html

How's that for some serious fuckin' sources that ain't the huffington post, or faux news? =)

I never censor unless it's a rule. I generally only swear online for emphasis, comedy or frustration/anger. In real life, though, I probably swear more than I should. Being Australian, however, it's basically part of the language. ^.^

I swear in forums and swear in real life too but dont get caught up in touchy topics.
I dont see the point in aggravating situation in an unnecessary manner.

If I want to swear in my post I decide I'm not in the right frame of mind to post and stop. Swearing doesn't add anything to the topic only to blow off steam which I wouldn't be able to do typing it. Reputation is also important I don't expect people to remember my avatar or username when I do pop up in a topic, so I plan for no matter which of my posts you see first it's the best foot forward.

I swear a lot IRL but online I use it to make a point or to emphasise this fucking shit. It's an effective tool, bitches.

It depends a lot on how I think it reads. In real life you can get away with adding gestures and facial expressions, therefore I swear a lot more than online where it's less easy to control how people read it. If it looks like I'm being aggressive or abusive where I don't mean to be, I tend to take it out. Or add a :D at the end.

Forums usually not, social networks I selectively censor myself just because I have family members/coworkers added and I'd rather not curse as I usually do. Especially family members, it just feels weird to me.

I censor myself only in my home territory, because we maintain absolute rule of order there. It is not the primitive wilds of the rest of The Internets. We hold our members to extremely high standards.

The only other time I censor myself is when I know certain people are part of my audience (e.g. on Facebook I censor myself the same way I would IRL, depending on the people.)

I generally do not do so unless my audience is people who I would no speak in such a manner around. For instance my grandparent read my Twitter so I censor it. That is actually the only one I censor and take offense to people that caution "my language" in video games or life unless it is apparent kids are present or something like that.

No, unless it would get me in trouble on the forum.

But saying shit or other low level swearing I have no problem with it.

Selectively, I guess...depends on my level of investment/passion for a particular post/topic. If it's something I'm particularly passionate about, I'll drop a couple fucking f-bombs. If it's something more lighthearted and or joking, I'll frickin' use words like "frickin' ".

Also depends on if I'm addressing a specific forum user. If I'm discussing something we disagree with, I try my best not to curse people out. I might use a couple curse words to emphasize a point that I'm trying to make, but I try not to direct them at my fellow forum users directly.

TehCookie:
I'd rather change ass to butt than use asterisks and such.

this is a real peeve of mine...don't put that on me to say the word in my head, you're the one who is using it, just use it!

OT: meh I usually speak my mind in a somewhat funneled way, as in I would probably use a few more cuss words here and there. However I know there are plenty of people who would be "seriuz buziness" about it since it's the internet and all, and get offended by it, so I tone it down a notch.

Self censoring in terms of asterisks? Fuck no.

Self censoring in terms of reading a situation/recognizing that it'd be a bit inappropriate in the context/circumstances? Heck yes.

gmaverick019:

TehCookie:

this is a real peeve of mine...don't put that on me to say the word in my head, you're the one who is using it, just use it!

OT: meh I usually speak my mind in a somewhat funneled way, as in I would probably use a few more cuss words here and there. However I know there are plenty of people who would be "seriuz buziness" about it since it's the internet and all, and get offended by it, so I tone it down a notch.

You change nice speech to vulgarities in your head? You may want to lay off the swearing.

I generally don't swear much IRL or online. I'm just not made to spew profanities and when I try it feels stilted and sounds awkward coming out of my mouth. On top of that I have enough writing skill and vocabulary to express what I want without using it.

I do not censor myself. Wherever I go on the net, I assume I'm not going to get shit for swearing occasionally.

This more or less stems from the jobs I worked. There's not a lot of need for proper language in construction or a warehouse job. Some tact is needed to be a delivery driver, but outside of dropping the pizza off, it doesn't matter.

I do try to keep it sane though, unless I'm making a point or am very agitated. After all, if you use a word too often, it starts to lose it's meaning.

TehCookie:

gmaverick019:

TehCookie:

You change nice speech to vulgarities in your head? You may want to lay off the swearing.

wait what? how did you get that from what i said...

it's opposite of that, i'm usually a swearing sailor in my head and funnel it down to maybe one or two curse words when i actually do speak.

Nope. I rarely swear excessively (unless I'm really pissed off about something), but I'll always swear for emphasis. This is an internet forum for fuck's sake, it's not tea with the Queen.

Well I don't censor myself by hiding a word, it just doesn't make sense. The word is still there, and nobody is mistaking F*** for fart. I typically just avoid foul words unless I feel the situation calls for it. In my daily life it depends on who I am talking to. My language usually fits the crowd and the situation. I generally keep my language fairly mild, but I will use swear words for added emotional effect or if I just happen to be in a crowd of potty mouths.

I don't, however, have any issues with people who like to curse or curse frequently. I feel it takes all types, and I don't get offended by foul language, so why should it bother me that someone uses it? I say speak your peace, and if you feel it is needed to get your point across, go for it.

On the other hand, since I tend to speak mildly, it has great effect when I raise my voice and curse. I worked as a correctional officer (AKA Prison Guard) for a bit, and I've had harden criminals jump when I raise my voice. For one I do martial arts, and my voice has been trained to be loud and powerful as such. For the second, since I don't raise my voice much (I do project my voice mind you, I just don't yell) when I do raise my voice it tends to startle people. As a final addition, I am 6'2" and weigh in at 285lbs (most of it not fat, but I do have a soft layer around me).

Not really, I just type almost exactly as I speak in real life, which can come off as aggressive, but it's just because I'm British, that is the way I speak. Though I don't think "Cunt" goes down too well with America, but then I'm very unlikely to use it anyway, as I'm not going to just straight up insult someone plus given it's difficult to convey tone, it's something that you can't really imply jokingly in text.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked